Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klean Kanteen and other reuseable bottles.

Options
  • 07-04-2019 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Klean Kanteen water bottle for years. I think bought in bloody 2010!!!!

I was thinking I need to replace it. Had a look online about ‘life expectancy’ of these bottles but cannot find an answer.

Anybody know how long these last?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Klean Kanteen is stainless steel, no?

If it's not broken it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Klean Kanteen is stainless steel, no?

If it's not broken it's fine.

Yep. Stainless steel.

Now on standard plastic/bpa bottles and protein shakers etc.

Any idea on how often to replace these?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

obi604 wrote: »
    Yep. Stainless steel.

Now on standard plastic/bpa bottles and protein shakers etc.

Any idea on how often to replace these?

Protein shakers: when you can't wash away the smell.

Other bottles: unless they're the solid bottles, they'll likely get battered up in gearbags and be binned long before they'd be past their shelf life.

Solid bottles should be fine for a long time. Don't leave water sitting in them for days and then use if you're worried about miniscule amounts of chemicals in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Try and keep the clear plastic bottles out of sunlight too - I once got this slight algae type thing growing in the bottom of one because of leaving water in it and exposing to sunlight and I couldn't wash it out because the neck of the bottle was too narrow to get at it and scrubb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I use a nalgene I bought in target well over 10 years ago, replaces the cap once as the rubber thing that holds the cap to the neck broke over time.

Rinse it out every day when filling for the first time, then wash with soapy water every few days and once every few months if soak with a tiny amounof thin bleach in waterfor a few hours and then empty the bottle and shake so most of the water is gone and add 2 heaped teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda and shake it around so it coats the entire bottle and leave it to do it's thing over night to get rid of any smells.

Bottle still in great nick despite make drops and bounces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Try and keep the clear plastic bottles out of sunlight too - I once got this slight algae type thing growing in the bottom of one because of leaving water in it and exposing to sunlight and I couldn't wash it out because the neck of the bottle was too narrow to get at it and scrubb

For plastic bottles like this if you ever have something growing in there put in some uncooked rice, some soap and hot water and shake the living Jesus out of it for a few minutes, rinse and repeat until it's fully removed, then do the bleach followed by bicarbonate of soda steps I described above.

All gunk removed, nasties killed and smells eliminated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi

I have a Klean Kanteen water bottle for years. I think bought in bloody 2010!!!!

I was thinking I need to replace it. Had a look online about ‘life expectancy’ of these bottles but cannot find an answer.

Anybody know how long these last?

I used a canteen that my Grandad brought home from a UN trip to the Congo for about 10 years in the 90s/00s. I think your steel canteen will be grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I used a canteen that my Grandad brought home from a UN trip to the Congo for about 10 years in the 90s/00s. I think your steel canteen will be grand.

What material was yours made from back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

To clean bottles you can use Milton fluid in water and leave to soak. It’s the stuff used to clean babies bottles and is like a mild bleach. Not sure if it’s okay on stainless steel but definitely good for plastic bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What material was yours made from back then?

Stainless steel I think. It was a metal that hadn't rusted in 40 years anyway.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Stainless steel I think. It was a metal that hadn't rusted in 40 years anyway.

Wow. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

I recently replaced my Kleen Kanteen bottle with food grade stainless steel 1L bottle that I picked up in Mr Price for €4. Check them out if there’s one near you.

Advertisement