Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spend of €10 in order to use debit card @ The Academy?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭

I was at The Academy venue in Dublin recently and when I went to pay €6.70 for my drink with my debit card I was told:

"Minimum order has to be €10 in order to use a debit card"

Is this a common practice, or even legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was at The Academy venue in Dublin recently and when I went to pay €6.70 for my drink with my debit card I was told:

"Minimum order has to be €10 in order to use a debit card"

Is this a common practice, or even legal?

It's very common in petrol stations to see signs at the counter about ten Euro minimum spend with debit cards. Don't think I've heard of it in a pub before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's common enough sadly, but I see it less and less these days.

Legal as far as I know, they made it illegal to add a surcharge to card payments but there's no laws stopping places doing this. I read it is against the terms of service for VISA and Mastercard though, but it's probably a lot of effort for little reward to report places!

Edit: actually here you go, you can report it to mastercard here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

maximoose wrote: »
    It's common enough sadly, but I see it less and less these days.

Legal as far as I know, they made it illegal to add a surcharge to card payments but there's no laws stopping places doing this. I read it is against the terms of service for VISA and Mastercard though, but it's probably a lot of effort for little reward to report places!

Edit: actually here you go, you can report it to mastercard here

handy thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mastercard/Visa aren't responsible here, its the likes of BOI who provide the merchant service to retailers that set the rules AFAIK.

Shops that do this I walk out never to return. Contactless is the norm, accept it or shutter.

ED E wrote: »
    Mastercard/Visa aren't responsible here, its the likes of BOI who provide the merchant service to retailers that set the rules AFAIK.

Shops that do this I walk out never to return. Contactless is the norm, accept it or shutter.

curious though.. the Mastercard form posted earlier specifically lists as a reportable offence:

"In order to make a Debit Mastercard or Mastercard prepaid purchase, the merchant/retailer required a minimum or maximum amount."

So it seems to be something they frown on and perhaps might have some effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm a small family business, recently switched terminal providers, its against their T&C's to set minimum spends
    dont know how you report it though. I understand it from years ago charges where much higher but its less now and
    less again for contactless debits.

The price of their drinks was in excess of the norm as well, so I doubt they'd be losing out much if they had to pay 1% fee or whatever it is.

A lot of people ordering drinks were similarly confused by the min spend rule, so I'm assuming other venues like Whelans or Olympia don't do this?

Olympia and Vicar St definitely don't, have been in there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's very common in petrol stations to see signs at the counter about ten Euro minimum spend with debit cards. Don't think I've heard of it in a pub before.

It's €20 in the Poitin Stil!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I dropped into a bar in Douglas, Cork for a pint a few weeks ago while the other half was having a spa treatment. Ordered a pint - €5.50 or thereabouts.

Handed over my debit card and the barman said minimum was €10 per transaction.

I put my card back into my wallet and walked out leaving the freshly poured pint on the bar counter. It was during the day so the pub was pretty quiet.

Went into another bar across the road who had no minimum for purchases and enjoyed a pint there.

If everyone did this, pubs and shops would soon drop this stupid self inflicted rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

A particular pub in Blanchardstown has a 30 euro minimum spend. So obviously they don’t like contactless but this has to be illegal!
    It boils my blood as it’s expensive enough as it is. Paid less in a hotel for a bottle of wine at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I dropped into a bar in Douglas, Cork for a pint a few weeks ago while the other half was having a spa treatment. Ordered a pint - €5.50 or thereabouts.

Handed over my debit card and the barman said minimum was €10 per transaction.

I put my card back into my wallet and walked out leaving the freshly poured pint on the bar counter. It was during the day so the pub was pretty quiet.

Went into another bar across the road who had no minimum for purchases and enjoyed a pint there.

If everyone did this, pubs and shops would soon drop this stupid self inflicted rule.

What an <SNIP> ... wouldn't you just ask if they take card first, f*ck sake I don't whip out the AMEX then get pissed and walk off when they don't take it.

It's not like you have to take card payment, Cash is the only legal tender.

Card machines are usually in plain sight. Shouldn't have to ask if the bar are stingey cûnts and enforcing a minimum spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

redcup342 wrote: »
    What an <SNIP> ... wouldn't you just ask if they take card first, f*ck sake I don't whip out the AMEX then get pissed and walk off when they don't take it.

It's not like you have to take card payment, Cash is the only legal tender.

VISA sign on the door to the pub. No mention of minimum spend.
    Also, don't be a d!ck. It's not my fault if a pub has a Visa debit facility but refuses to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Try paying cash for a beer in one of JFKs Airport terminals, felt a right tit with a $10 bill in my hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

BobMc wrote: »
    Try paying cash for a beer in one of JFKs Airport terminals, felt a right tit with a $10 bill in my hand

Easily the most expensive bottle of beer I've ever bought was at JFK...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

its the merchant (bank) you can make a complaint to. I had a couple of euro left in my account before pay day and dropped in with my son to a local centra to buy him a packet of sweets. total was 3 euro or there abouts. My child had already opened the sweets when the guy in the till wouldn't accept the card. I handed him back the half chewed sweets and walked out. Disgraceful that companies still do this / get away with it.

BeardySi wrote: »
    Easily the most expensive bottle of beer I've ever bought was at JFK...

try Dubai Airport. Glass of Heineken was €16 or something.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    its the merchant (bank) you can make a complaint to. I had a couple of euro left in my account before pay day and dropped in with my son to a local centra to buy him a packet of sweets. total was 3 euro or there abouts. My child had already opened the sweets when the guy in the till wouldn't accept the card. I handed him back the half chewed sweets and walked out. Disgraceful that companies still do this / get away with it.

I submitted the report to Mastercard.. will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Might shoot The Academy a mail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

maximoose wrote: »
    Card machines are usually in plain sight. Shouldn't have to ask if the bar are stingey cûnts and enforcing a minimum spend.
    VISA sign on the door to the pub. No mention of minimum spend.
    Also, don't be a d!ck. It's not my fault if a pub has a Visa debit facility but refuses to use it.

It's not always because the bar is stingy, it's also because people buying drinks with Touch payments use up their pin free transactions quickly when paying for a pints and then hold up the whole bar when the barman has to explain to a drunk person that the transaction didn't go through because they can only use a certain amount of touch payments per day.

Then you have them arguing with you saying they are going to check their online banking and to wait before they will put in a pin, all the while other customers are waiting.

It's easier just to enforce a minimum spend then you don't have any complications.

Ordering something like a drink and then walking off because they don't let you pay by Card is a bit ridiculous, some places would just take it out of the persons wages.

Just ask if you can pay by card first then they can tell you if there is a minimum spend and go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 tronicrage

Where can you report this to? Happened me in a shop last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tronicrage wrote: »
    Where can you report this to? Happened me in a shop last week

Link in post #3 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's €20 in the Poitin Stil!

To fair at least they have an ATM just inside the door so it's not a huge inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@redcup - watch the language please, and be civil to other users.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

It's not always because the bar is stingy, it's also because people buying drinks with Touch payments use up their pin free transactions quickly when paying for a pints and then hold up the whole bar when the barman has to explain to a drunk person that the transaction didn't go through because they can only use a certain amount of touch payments per day.

It takes about €30 of spending to make a pin be required. A contactless payment is quicker than cash
    Then you have them arguing with you saying they are going to check their online banking and to wait before they will put in a pin, all the while other customers are waiting.

I have never seen this at all. I worked in a shop and one year working at the till I had once had someone checking their online balance in front of me.
    It's easier just to enforce a minimum spend then you don't have any complications.

Do you realise that the minimum spend does not address any of these issues? In fact having no minimum spend results in zero complications.
    Ordering something like a drink and then walking off because they don't let you pay by Card is a bit ridiculous, some places would just take it out of the persons wages.

What should the guy have done? Went looking for an ATM, spend time going to it, queue at the ATM and then pay for semi-warm drink sitting on a counter for 5- 20mins?

Do shops take shoplifting out of employees wages?
    Just ask if you can pay by card first then they can tell you if there is a minimum spend and go elsewhere.

In 2019, paying by card should be as easy as cash. Most shops are required to have zero minimum spend. Why should customers have to clarify, if a store is breaking the terms of merchant card services?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The customer is not to blame for the retailers woes. Quite simply it is a reasonable expectation that contactless be readily available at a respectable retailer.

Some establishments were known for not giving correct change or overcharging the noticeably drunk customers. also my barman friend told that when the received fake notes the owner would recirculate them so he didn't take the hit. so i don't wonder that disreputable establishments don't like the fully recorded transactions that can be examined in the cold light of day! Your not going to be able to hide those payments from the taxman either!

i agree with the sentiment that you vote with your feet. and leaving a pint on the counter is simply putting the point across. If it happens a dozen time a week the bar will soon change its policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thats an edge case and not common.

Tap payments cost the business less time and money. Its idiotic to not accept them.

They are quick and there is less cash on the premises. There really isnt a defence for it in this day and age. The only real defence is the owner or the manager or both are idiots and dont actually understand technology or time management.....

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

why would it be illegal?

Curious, what are the charges to a merchant for using tap-pay ?

Is it a percentage of the cost of the item, or an annual charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    why would it be illegal?

It is not illegal. But the banks don't like companies having this policy. Visa and Mastercard want people to use their cards for everything. They don't want some shops restricting card usage here and there.

What is better a world where you can use your card without fear of retailers making up there own rules or a world where you can pay for a can of coke without the retailer losing it.

Advertisement