Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It reads that he was asked if he could guarantee Henshaw would stay at Connacht; he could never have said "yes" to that.

I don't think there's anything new in this to be honest; the IRFU always makes the national team its priority, rightly or wrongly, and if Henshaw does make the step up to international level then they'll want him playing his club rugby at the highest level possible. If Connacht are only in the second tier competition, then that may not be good enough for Henshaw's development.

The harsh reality is that his contract means very little in terms of keeping him at Connacht.

But not great for Connacht or their fans if it comes to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

It would be unprecedented for a contract to be broken though, as far as I recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

It would be a disgrace if that was allowed to happen. Henshaw is our player and that contract should be respected.

I think the argument about having to do everything to put the Irish team first is bollox too. Sure in that case would it not be better to just move all the Ireland players to Leinster so they'll get used to playing together during the Heineken and rabo? No one could say that this wouldn't improve the Irish team overall. But should that happen? Of course not, it would just make a mockery of provincial rugby. But in a way that's almost what would be happening if they move Henshaw and Payne to Leinster.

If those 2 moves go ahead then I'd find it very difficult to support Leinster no matter who they were playing and I wouldn't have the same desire to see Ireland win anymore either.

It's not right to just effectively give one province any player they want regardless of whether or not they're under contract.

It would be a disgrace if that was allowed to happen. Henshaw is our player and that contract should be respected.

I think the argument about having to do everything to put the Irish team first is bollox too. Sure in that case would it not be better to just move all the Ireland players to Leinster so they'll get used to playing together during the Heineken and rabo? No one could say that this wouldn't improve the Irish team overall. But should that happen? Of course not, it would just make a mockery of provincial rugby. But in a way that's almost what would be happening if they move Henshaw and Payne to Leinster.

If those 2 moves go ahead then I'd find it very difficult to support Leinster no matter who they were playing and I wouldn't have the same desire to see Ireland win anymore either.

It's not right to just effectively give one province any player they want regardless of whether or not they're under contract.

Where is it suggested that it would be Leinster he would move to?

The Payne move is just an in-joke on boards.ie.

So...

So...

Oh right didn't realise that about Payne. I think it's obvious enough given that bod is leaving that if Henshaw was moving somewhere it would be to Leinster. Hopefully that doesn't happen though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭b.gud

Oh right didn't realise that about Payne. I think it's obvious enough given that bod is leaving that if Henshaw was moving somewhere it would be to Leinster. Hopefully that doesn't happen though

I'd actually think Munster might be more likely as with Laulala leaving they are really short, Leinster have a bit more depth in that position, obviously not to the O'Driscoll standard, but then again who does?

Anyway that's aside from the point as I don't see this happening, I think as former legend pointed out it was more a case of Fitzgerald saying that he can't guarantee that Henshaw will stay at Connacht. And another thing that everyone seems to be glossing over is that he said it would only happen if Joe demanded that he move. Obviously no one knows what Joe is thinking except Joe, but he might feel that Hensahw is better off staying in Connacht where he is pretty much guaranteed first team rugby, rather than move to another province and possibly spend time on the bench, or being rotated in the first team.

Personally I think that Henshaw will stay in Connacht until the end of his contract, but unless we are in the Heineken cup then I'm not sure if we'll be able to hold onto him any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

So...

Payne move to Leinster is reported in the Indo this morning.

So...

its_phil wrote: »

So...

Maybe the've been spending a lot of time on boards.ie lately :)

Oh and it was reported we are getting increased funding!!

New CEO to be confirmed too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Hope Henshaw sees out his contract with yourselves.

But for the discussion and although player swaps rarely happen lets just say players were willing to move

Who would Connacht like as a reasonable replacement(s) for Henshaw.

Dominic Ryan and a decent back
    Who would you like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Hope Henshaw sees out his contract with yourselves.

But for the discussion and although player swaps rarely happen lets just say players were willing to move

Who would Connacht like as a reasonable replacement(s) for Henshaw.

Dominic Ryan and a decent back
    Who would you like?

Fitzgerald?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Fitzgerald?

I was actually typing that but COULDNT being myself to hit POST :pac:

Fitzgerald?

I think this post is missing a smiley face or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

AngeGal wrote: »
    It would be unprecedented for a contract to be broken though, as far as I recall?

Effectively you sign your contract with the IRFU on behalf of Connacht, it wouldn't be a broken contract more like asking your worker to move factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I think this post is missing a smiley face or something.

troll face perhaps! :pac:

Unchanged team for the 4th game in a row
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-team-to-face-ulster/#ConnachtNews

Head Coach Pat Lam has named an unchanged Connacht side for the fourth game in a row with the team traveling to take on Ulster tomorrow night at Ravenhill, kick off 7:05pm.

23-year-old Mick Kearney will earn his 50th Connacht cap starting in the second row with Aly Muldowney.

The only change on the bench comes in the forwards with Academy prop Finlay Bealham replacing an injured Nathan White. Connacht’s longest serving player Michael Swift is in line to earn his 180th league appearance.

Commenting on the team selection and the upcoming game Head Coach Pat Lam said:

“When you consider the front liners we’ve been missing these last few months – Wilkinson, Henry, White, Clarke, Faloon and Heenan – the guys who’ve played in the last five games have put in an outstanding effort and the performances have shown that. And so we go up to Belfast with the same group of guys.

“Willie Faloon made an impressive return from injury and we were planning to give him a start this week but he pulled up with a tight hamstring in the last training run yesterday. It’s unfortunate but we don’t want to risk him so soon after his return. We’ll hopefully see him next week at the Sportsground.

“Young Eoghan Masterson from the Academy will get his sixth start at openside where he is playing out of position but showing time and time again his ability to adapt and slot in to an experienced back row.

“Nathan White also pulled up with a calf injury so we’re traveling with Academy prop Finlay Bealham this week who has impressed in training and the two games he’s been called upon for.

“Ulster have of course suffered some injuries to their front liners as well but they have such strength in depth with the option to replace one international with another and we don’t anticipate any dip in performance.

“They are a well-coached side and last week they put in a magnificent effort against Saracens with 14 men for 75 minutes. But what that performance showed is the quality they have and the team spirit they possess. No doubt it has been a hard week for them but we are under no illusions. We expect them to come out even stronger with the passionate Ravenhill crowd behind them.

“We haven’t won at Ravenhill in 54 year so this is our chance to make history. We know it’s going to take a massive team effort tomorrow night but it’s exciting. This is what we play rugby for, to go up against it and beat the odds.”

Connacht line-up v Ulster

15. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Tiernan O’Halloran
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Fionn Carr
    10. Dan Parks
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Aly Muldowney
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Michael Swift
    20. Andrew Browne
    21. Frank Murphy
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Darragh Leader

Unavailable/Injured: Sean Henry, James Rael, Craig Clarke, Jake Heenan, Mata Fifita, Aaron Conneely, Paul O’Donohoe, Craig Ronaldson, Matt Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So...

I dont think Payne is going anywhere but I think its more than just a boards joke.

I hope Henshaw stays at Connacht until 2016 otherwise the IRFU will be opening a can of worms.

bilston wrote: »
    I dont think Payne is going anywhere but I think its more than just a boards joke.

Payne to Connacht!

Let's see if we can get that printed too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

b.gud wrote: »
    Unchanged team for the 4th game in a row
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-team-to-face-ulster/#ConnachtNews

We haven’t won at Ravenhill in 54 year so this is our chance to make history. We know it’s going to take a massive team effort tomorrow night but it’s exciting. This is what we play rugby for, to go up against it and beat the odds.”

I was there. It was the first time I ever heard my dad use the 'f' word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty poor form from an IRFU President to be saying Henshaw will have to move if Schmidt insists on it. Just stoked up tensions between the IRFU and Connacht unnecessarily. Could easily have played a straight bat and said Henshaw is a Connacht player until 2016 and left it at that. This will obviously rumble along in the media now since he opened his big gob.

One thing is for sure Connacht will have no chance of qualifying for the HEC (or whatever it will be called) through their own efforts in the league if they can't hold onto their best players. And if they are not in the HEC they may have their best players taken away from them by the IRFU. Catch 22.

• Advertisement

Pretty poor form from an IRFU President to be saying Henshaw will have to move if Schmidt insists on it. Just stoked up tensions between the IRFU and Connacht unnecessarily. Could easily have played a straight bat and said Henshaw is a Connacht player until 2016 and left it at that. This will obviously rumble along in the media now since he opened his big gob.

Yep I'm just after reading another article about it. I can see him having to come out with a statement within the next week, if it continues to pick up traction, saying that there are currently no plans to make this change etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So any chance TOH coming back towards the hype he was getting at the start of his Connacht days, Ive missed a lot of the recent games :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Again, this isn't a slight against Leader but no Poolman on bench is a puzzler ..

Posted something similar earlier but I think you're being very unfair on Pat Fitzgerald.

An interviewer asked him "will Henshaw be staying in Connacht?" - what can he say?
    If he says "Yes" and a year or two from now, Henshaw moves, there's uproar because the president of the IRFU gave a commitment that he wouldn't.
    If he says "No", there's uproar that Connacht is being stripped of their players.
    If he says "No comment", people will just attribute their own meanings to it and there will be uproar.

All he could do was toe the party line and say "the national team comes first", which is what the IRFU say in response to pretty much everything.

This guy has no say in what Henshaw does or where he goes so there's no point reading anything into it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have no real beef with what was said. We all know the contract Robbie has, the realpolitik of the situation and the national team being priority one (as it should be). He perhaps could have phrased it a little better but I'll let that one slide on account of only being in the job a wet week.

Poolman's absence is an odd one. I would have at least had him pegged for a bench spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Am I right in saying that NIQs for next season are Clarke, Heenan and naoupu. Any word on Clarke will he be back next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Robbo wrote: »
    I have no real beef with what was said. We all know the contract Robbie has, the realpolitik of the situation and the national team being priority one (as it should be). He perhaps could have phrased it a little better but I'll let that one slide on account of only being in the job a wet week.

Poolman's absence is an odd one. I would have at least had him pegged for a bench spot.

seems the policy is to stick with a team verbatim as the team is generating results and when losing are losing with much credit. that said its a bit of a conundrum figuring this logic. poolman is a proven quality player and he must be wondering what he is doing wrong. you would say that he really must be considered when fit but this not seem to be the case. at the start of the season team selections were based on experience with all other players fading into the shadows. at the end of the year team selections are based on results with all other players fading into the background. there seems to be no middle ground with pat, where you feed highly capable players back into the team selections. I can't say I agree with team selections at the start or at the end of the season. I'm not asking for a drastic overhaul of the team. I'm just asking that all players be considered. this has not happened all season long in my opinion

Am I right in saying that NIQs for next season are Clarke, Heenan and naoupu. Any word on Clarke will he be back next season.

Poolman too I think. One more year of residency and he qualifies.

ouncer wrote: »
    seems the policy is to stick with a team verbatim as the team is generating results and when losing are losing with much credit. that said its a bit of a conundrum figuring this logic. poolman is a proven quality player and he must be wondering what he is doing wrong. you would say that he really must be considered when fit but this not seem to be the case. at the start of the season team selections were based on experience with all other players fading into the shadows. at the end of the year team selections are based on results with all other players fading into the background. there seems to be no middle ground with pat, where you feed highly capable players back into the team selections. I can't say I agree with team selections at the start or at the end of the season. I'm not asking for a drastic overhaul of the team. I'm just asking that all players be considered. this has not happened all season long in my opinion

We haven't got 4 TBP and wins in a row before and your disagreeing with team selection? Team selection is of course being based on results and the performances that earned those results.

Who do you want to drop for Poolman? Your only qualm is with one selection, who else would be starting outside of Poolman? Carr and TOH were excellent against the Scarlets. What else do you want? They are both proven quality too while Dani has only a couple A games under his belt so his sharpness can be questioned. I like Dani too and think he is a fantastic player but I wouldn't have had him in my first XV this week.

• Advertisement

We haven't got 4 TBP and wins in a row before and your disagreeing with team selection? Team selection is of course being based on results and the performances that earned those results.

Who do you want to drop for Poolman? Your only qualm is with one selection, who else would be starting outside of Poolman? Carr and TOH were excellent against the Scarlets. What else do you want? They are both proven quality too while Dani has only a couple A games under his belt so his sharpness can be questioned. I like Dani too and think he is a fantastic player but I wouldn't have had him in my first XV this week.

He wanted him on the bench ahead of Leader. In fairness Pooleman is a better player than Leader and one would imagine he'd have more impact from the bench than Leader but can see the logic in Pat's "if it ain't broke" approach. Although to contradict that he did say he was going to start Heenan ahead of Masterson but Heenan's hamstring was at him

Advertisement