Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Bulls look like SA's worst team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

daphil wrote: »
    On hols in New Zealand and just back from Crusaders game. I know a game can be totally different on TV, but here are my thoughts on the match. A bit of a disappointment to be honest. Was supporting Crusaders as my daughter lives in Christchurch. From where I sat, the game was more Rabo Direct than Heinekin Cup and it seemed to me that it was more a social occasion than a rugby match. The biggest cheer early on was for the horses charging round the pitch. The home team spent the whole of the first half flinging the ball wide, with no pick and go or even a kick to break it up, (sound familiar?). The Chiefs just held their line and tackled and kicked well. While Robbie Fruean may be a powerful runner, the missed tackles, that close to the touch line were, criminal.
    The standard of place kicking from Bleyendall was laughable. The first time Crusaders did not give the ball to the backs, they scored from a line out, although the defence was again very poor.
    The Crusaders took over in the second half, but again rarely looked very dangerous.They did get a maul going late in the game, but couldn't finish. Numerous knock-ons, when in good positions, also cost them.
    Taylor also missed a couple of shots at goal,although I was surprised McCaw did not go down the line from one of them.
    I have to say, that with all the talk about how brilliant the Super 15 is, I think with the possession and field positions the Crusaders had in the second half, a team like Munster, would have won handily.
    One real maul in a game, it may be rugby Jim, but not as we know it.

OK, first game up in a day when the mercury hit 29 degrees, so I thought reasonable overall. The Crusaders were their own worst enemy with too many unforced errors, and of course Bylendall's woeful goalkicking. Taylor (despite his 2 misses himself) is one of NZ's best place kickers and an AB to boot, so don't know why he didn't start. Cruden and Crotty were the best players on display.

Can I just say I find your Munster overtones off-putting, and reminds me once again why I could never support Munster, despite living there for 2.5 years.

However, like my compatriot above I find these endless NH v SH debates pointless. NZ teams can certainly improve their mauling, I agree, but then the standard of back play in the north (witness scotland and england) could certainly be better. Leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Swiwi. wrote: »
    OK, first game up in a day when the mercury hit 29 degrees, so I thought reasonable overall. The Crusaders were their own worst enemy with too many unforced errors, and of course Bylendall's woeful goalkicking. Taylor (despite his 2 misses himself) is one of NZ's best place kickers and an AB to boot, so don't know why he didn't start. Cruden and Crotty were the best players on display.

Can I just say I find your Munster overtones off-putting, and reminds me once again why I could never support Munster, despite living there for 2.5 years.

However, like my compatriot above I find these endless NH v SH debates pointless. NZ teams can certainly improve their mauling, I agree, but then the standard of back play in the north (witness scotland and england) could certainly be better. Leave it at that.

I realise it's a bit pointless comparing, ( e.g. was Gibson or Kyle better that Sexton/O'Gara/ Wilkinson) but at a point behind, good field position and minutes on the clock, I was waiting for the drop goal set-up. I don't think it entered their heads. Most NH teams would have been thinking drop goal I reckon.
    The Chiefs defense was excellent, but when you knew the ball was going to go wide every time all you had to do was fan out and they certainly made their tackles.
    I have some photos from the game, and as can be seen in some, the forwards already covering across as the jumper lands from a line out. Indeed that contributed to Whitlock's try, but what a finish.
    I must be honest, I prefer NH rugby, mauls, counter rucking, kicking etc. are important parts of the game to me, I never enjoyed 7's rugby.
    You are certainly correct in that the Crusaders were their own worst enemy with too many unforced errors,but I found it strange that there was no effort to stop the defense drifting across.
    I enjoyed the occasion however and hope to take in the Bulls game before returning home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Is anybody watching this

and did ANYBODY see that try!?! Incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Blues right back in this now after 2 quick tries

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any highlights yet of this morning's game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Try Red (Turner). Lovely pass by Cooper for the try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Nothing up yet but keep an eye here

http://www.superxv.com/video/

Brilliant try Toua, some pace on him

What a try Toua, another lovely pass by Cooper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,959 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Toua, wow is all I can say to that. Impressive.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Start of the future there. .... great individual try

Turner is having some debut for the Reds.

Great defence there by Turner

Nice set piece try for the Brumbies. Brumbies need to push ahead in these 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Ed o'donoghue is on for the Reds - replacing Horwill.

oops!

Huge error, reminds of something the Reds would have done right at the end of the game a few years ago!

What a horrible mistake there by the Brumbies. Reds win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Fantastic stuff. Saili's try was marvellous.
    It's going to be hard to stomach Italy-Scotland after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

So, thats me not posting again till after the season is done.
    Some loss, to the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Jacovs wrote: »
    So, thats me not posting again till after the season is done.
    Some loss, to the Lions.

Lions beat Stormers 34-10

Cheetahs beat Bulls 15-9

What's going on in RSA?!

hahashake wrote: »
    Lions beat Stormers 34-10

Cheetahs beat Bulls 15-9

What's going on is RSA?!

Probably still think its Currie Cup.

Jeepers I thought the lions were poor last week so without seeing this game that is a shocking result for the stormers

• Advertisement

From the updates I got from family, the Lions had 2 yellow cards at some point (or maybe 2 during the game) multiple infringements at the rucks, but their defense was solid. Each team only 1 try, and the rest drop goals and penalties.

Only saw the Half Time analysis on Sky, but it seemed like they thought the Stormers would go on to win it. Will look forward to seeing highlights, having 5 competitive teams will make the SA conference very interesting.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Only saw the Half Time analysis on Sky, but it seemed like they thought the Stormers would go on to win it. Will look forward to seeing highlights, having 5 competitive teams will make the SA conference very interesting.

Kings arent playing this year, only 4 competitive teams in the SA conference, Lions, Sharks, Cheetahs, Bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Aren't the Lions supposed to be the whipping boys?

Hey, if JdV isn't doing well at the Stormers and ever wants out, we'll take him back in a second! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

To be honest I think these results show a step backward for the SA conference. Bulls and Stormers used to be good, but now they're awful having lost all their players. Lions will show their true colours when not playing in SA derbies, the Sharks are class and might win the whole thing on the back of sweeping the conference and getting that crucial home field advantage (jet lag being their 16th man) and I don't believe in the Cheetahs. Good teams beat the Lions at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Kings arent playing this year, only 4 competitive teams in the SA conference, Lions, Sharks, Cheetahs, Bulls.

U forgetting the stormers

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Lions just playing fantastic rugby right now.

The scrum half is a fine player. I suspect Stormers will take a few games to get into gear....not a good start though same with The Bulls.

Both teams right now are lacking a out half of any substance to direct the game.

60 odd seconds for Israel folau to dot down against the force. And he's added another. Some player.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

60 odd seconds for Israel folau to dot down against the force. And he's added another. Some player.

jinxed him. uncontested catch knocked on

marc96 wrote: »
    U forgetting the stormers
    No, I didnt ;)

Izzy with a hat trick. Unstoppable player or were the defenders on a tea break?

edit: watching the highlights now - the Waratahs managed to miss a conversion between the posts?

Charl McLeod and Gio Aplon both signing with Grenoble. Stormers getting really thin in the backline.

Charl McLeod and Gio Aplon both signing with Grenoble. Stormers getting really thin in the backline.

The weak rand and strongish euro is really affecting SA domestic rugby. Because you still pick overseas players, and the time zone is favourable, the springboks will keep doing fine, but a 6th franchise?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there anywhere to get decent quality highlights? Or a match of the day style roundup? The highlights on the official website are grainy.

The Tahs looked pretty good, they have a strong bench as well. Will be interesting to see how they will do against a better team than the Force, you would imagine a better team would have punished them for the handling mistakes they made. Promising start though.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The Tahs looked pretty good, they have a strong bench as well. Will be interesting to see how they will do against a better team than the Force, you would imagine a better team would have punished them for the handling mistakes they made. Promising start though.

How did Beale go at 12?

scored a nice try and was part of some lovely flowing back moves.

How did Beale go at 12?

He looked good, played as another 10. He looked up for it, always wanting the ball. Better teams will test his defence and positioning but so far he is looking like a good option at 12.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to get decent quality highlights? Or a match of the day style roundup? The highlights on the official website are grainy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RugbyHighlightsHD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So far my supporting of the Reds has been a rewarding experience, I'm glad I didn't arbitrarily decide to support the Brumbies, I'd be ****ing livid.

I love how colourful the commentators are in superrugby, maybe its just because theyr'e foreign, but there does seem to be more banter and more character. (Unlike the panellists on sky who are often DIRE)

errlloyd wrote: »
    So far my supporting of the Reds has been a rewarding experience, I'm glad I didn't arbitrarily decide to support the Brumbies, I'd be ****ing livid.

I love how colourful the commentators are in superrugby, maybe its just because theyr'e foreign, but there does seem to be more banter and more character. (Unlike the panellists on sky who are often DIRE)

That was the most comical error I've seen in a long while.

I actually think the Aussie conference will be the most entertaining this season: Cooper is the best passing flyhalf in world rugby, while the Tahs have Folau, not to mention the new sensation Alofa Alofa. Bet the commentators will go to town with that name...

mmmmmm they call me mista alofa alofa...

bigwill Skelton is surely a lock for an Australia cap this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cheers Swiwi, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Advertisement