Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Boss was a clear improvement on Reddan imo

McGrath
    Cronin
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Murphy
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Fitzgerald
    Darce
    BOD
    D Kearney
    Kearney

Think they brought Ross on so he is ready to start next week, Murphy did well and will prob keep his place, hopefully Fitzgerald is fit and D Kearney edges out Kirchner on tonight's performance, Kearney Sr. is looking back to somewhere near his best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    For me Gopps to start next week. Scrum half I'm undecided, I think people are being harsh on Reddan in the other thread for mistakes that weren't his. If it wasn't for him we would've been in trouble at the breakdown, the speed he was getting the ball away with was great, Connacht tried to spoil the ball but Reddan would get it away before they could.

I'm edging towards Reddan to start, also boss is a better bench option is the game is tight and physical

Dare I say Leinster should make a play for Marmion. No doubt that would go down like a lead balloon with Connacht supporters. Except Ouncer - who would be delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Tox56 wrote: »

McGrath
    Cronin
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Murphy
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Fitzgerald
    Darce
    BOD
    D Kearney
    Kearney

Think they brought Ross on so he is ready to start next week, Murphy did well and will prob keep his place, hopefully Fitzgerald is fit and D Kearney edges out Kirchner on tonight's performance, Kearney Sr. is looking back to somewhere near his best

That'd be my team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Dare I say Leinster should make a play for Marmion. No doubt that would go down like a lead balloon with Connacht supporters. Except Ouncer - who would be delighted!

please no , give the local development guys a deserved chance - cooney and mcgrath -

L McGrath started ahead of Marmion several times for the U20s when he was an U19, and I'll admit at the time I didn't think Marmion would be anywhere near as succesful as McGrath in the senior ranks (Might have slightly misjudged that one..)

Anyway my point being McGrath needs to be explored as an option before we go looking elsewhere, but he actually needs games to do that. A few token minutes here and there isn't going to aid his development much if at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

McGrath
    Cronin
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Murphy
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Fitzgerald
    Darce
    BOD
    D Kearney
    Kearney

Yes, I'd agree with that team. Thought McCarthy was way better than Denton (not surprised though), and Madigan's head seems to be in a bad place....pity...I'm a big fan, but Gopperth is the man for the grind in Castres. The real worry is hooker if Dundon's injury is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

No, that wouldn't sit well with me at all. Luke McGrath will be a great SH for Leinster he just needs to be give as much game time as Marmion has.

Taking players like that doesn't sit well with me.

Winters wrote: »
    No, that wouldn't sit well with me at all. Luke McGrath will be a great SH for Leinster he just needs to be give as much game time as Marmion has.

Taking players like that doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah ok. But Cronin? McCarthy? I haven't seen enough (any?) of McGrath to comment but Boss & Reddan are in the twilight of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't mind which scrum half starts really but I just think with 20 to go and trailing by 2 or 3 points then boss is the man to come on and march our pack around the field into a scoring position.

The back three is actually a tough one to pick. The only player I can see guaranteed a spot is fitz. The other two spots will have to be divided between Kirchner and two Kearney's, all of whom deserve a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeah ok. But Cronin? McCarthy? I haven't seen enough (any?) of McGrath to comment but Boss & Reddan are in the twilight of their careers.

Those are a bit different though aren't they. Cronin came over when he was 25 and wasn't a product of the Connacht Academy. McCarthy has come over at the age of 32 and again isn't a product of the Connacht Academy.

Marmion, although originally from Wales, has spent time in the Connacht Academy and is just 21.

Anyway, I'd agree that we don't need him. For 1 he wouldn't come over anyway as he's signed a new long-term contract with Connacht. But more importantly, Boss and Reddan will at the very least stay till the world cup is over and even then I'd expect one of them to want to stay on for another season. I have not doubt McGrath is an able replacement and in my opinion better than Marmion. He just needs game-time.

• Advertisement

Ok fine. No need for Marmion, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd be happier with Genia and Du Preez on megabucks contracts.

Yeah ok. But Cronin? McCarthy?

In fairness those moves didn't sit well with a fair few Leinster fans either. Can see why it annoyed Connacht fans but ultimately I think both those moves paid off, you can't blame players looking to play the big games and at least have the chance to win trophies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes, I'd agree with that team. Thought McCarthy was way better than Denton (not surprised though), and Madigan's head seems to be in a bad place....pity...I'm a big fan, but Gopperth is the man for the grind in Castres. The real worry is hooker if Dundon's injury is serious.

What happened to Dundon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dundon ran off holding his arm like you would if you broke it but I didn't see what happened to him. MOC after the game said that there were no major injury worries though and Dundon did run off too. If you'd that bad an injury you wouldn't be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was the other way around last week. Boss was very slow and ponderous against Ulster at times. Hard to call as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I saw on the rugby club that Leinster are due to be on the red button against Castres. Is this still the case? I'll have to sort somewhere else to watch it in that case!

Just in reply to FL on the Connacht thread but thought its worth moving it here.
    Jesus. Move on lads.

If I was a Connacht fan, I'd be more worried about how my team managed to create so few chances for themselves. They were atrocious going forward, although they took the try nicely.

As a Leinster fan, I'm more worried about the utter lack of cohesion in the backs.

Either of those is far more deserving of discussion than the yellow card (non-)decision.

In fairness we never show the play book before the HEC and I doubt that changed under MOC.

I actually am not too worried about cohesion in the backs actually. I mean, to be realistic we are never going to hit the heights of back play we were used to seeing under Schmidt. Let's just be honest with our selves; we slipped into taking that backplay for guaranteed. The fact is Schmidt is probably one of the best attacks coach in Europe, if not the world. His obsession for perfection in the set play moves is not something you see in other coaches.

So with that in mind, how is our back play doing? I would say not bad, all things considered. We pretty much know in the first stages of the season MOC was more interested in integrating the defensive systems he wanted rather than backplay.

Now we've done pretty well in defence, the attack is starting to develop. In fact, we even look at the Connacht game, a game where the play book was probably kept pretty tight, we still saw glimpses of some nice set attacks. In the first half we were desperately close to developing some real quality moves. The issue for me, as Buer pointed out in the other thread, is our forwards just aren't dominating as they once did. We're nearly there though, and in the last two games we've shown we're interested in using a quick, power based attack at the ruck. When this has happened we made easy yards against ulster and Connacht.

The breakdown happened when we lost our accuracy, or when Madigan pushed the ball two early. We should be looking for at least 3 phases of good quality punching before spinning it.

In the 2nd half of the game we saw Kearney used a lot on inside ball. This was no accident, in the game before the double header we saw that a lot, Darce being used as first receive and popping the ball onto a strike runner on his inside shoulder. In the pro12 game before the HEC game it was Madigan, and he messed the timing up, but Kearney was on the money.

It was smart and tidy and won us some handy yards. I expect to see this a bit more against Castres but probably more intense with a few more dummy runs. It's an attack which guarantees plenty of support for clear outs so I'd be happy to see more of it. I much rather this kind of moves rather than just pushing the ball wide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought the Connacht defence was pretty good last night, they tackled well and were quick to re align. I'm not sure many teams would have scored many tries against them in that mood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

where are the skills, dummy runners and exciting backplay gone?

• Advertisement

the fall off in leinster backplay is depressing..

where are the skills

You've been beating this (doomsday) drum a bit, but a bit of perspective/realism is required.

The skill levels are still there. We've seen them simmering away all season. By skills you must mean handling, passing, catching. There's been some top drawer stuff from Fitz, Kirchner, 2x Kearney, BOD, Darce and Ferg. In regards to 'skills' we're were we need to be.

The issue we're having is providing the backs with go forward ball. The best backline in the world can look mediocre without forward ball. NZ in Aviva being a good example.

Our forwards need to be completely on song for us to see us reaching the heights of the previous seasons, but I just don't see it happening.

Right now I'm happy. Our back play is fine - even in the Connacht game we did well, the inside passes and lines ran from our back 3 were great, but we were only motoring in the pack at about 80% imo.

People are thinking because we didn't play like we did a couple of seasons ago we're suddenly a dire team. It's ridiculous really. Do people have short memories? A few years ago I'd have bitten your arm off if you told me we were topping our pool and on 40 points in the league after Christmas. We will rarely reach the heights we did under Schmidt, and lets face it no other team probably will, we might as well drop that now.

If we can keep the talent here and keep working on our up front game under MOC then we'll do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

where are the skills, dummy runners and exciting backplay gone?

I'd struggle to remember a Connacht-Leinster game in which we ever saw any of the above.

I'm not optimistic about the chances of seeing too many jaw-dropping backline moves in Castres on Sunday either but results are all that matter for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

vienne86 wrote: »

Interesting pic for the D'arcy try. If I was judging it solely on this pic I'd say it was a backwards pass. D'Arcy is actually behind the tackler (look at the feet) and the ball is being passed backwards.

image.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The picture is off axis though. That's D'Arcy's shadow on the tacklers arse and the light is in front of him, not behind.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Impossible to tell from that angle to be honest.

The picture is off axis though. That's D'Arcy's shadow on the tacklers arse and the light is in front of him, not behind.

Well he can still be behind him and cast a shadow on him, if the light source is from behind both of them.

awec wrote: »
    Impossible to tell from that angle to be honest.

Yeah that's it. Impossible to tell from any of the TV angles either really, so I suppose you can see why the TMO didn't call it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well, i think the referee asked for a clear and obvious forward pass and there was nothing in the replays that was clear and obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I really dislike the all blue kit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement