Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Swiwi. wrote: »
    RK leads a charmed life. His inability to play wing has really benefitted him over the years. Still, I think it's the right selection, if you put Kirchner at 15 (his best position), you're probably obliged to start DK and bench RK.

Just to point out that he started his Leinster and Ireland careers on the wing and was very good there. That's 6 years ago now but he'd do a job there if he had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Delighted to see Murphy at 7, Henry was good for Ulster tonight, but the 7 jersey is by no means locked down, and I'm going to put my cards on the table and pick Murphy to be a potential bolter in Schmidt's Ireland squad, especially if he shows he can play 7 as well as 8.

He played 6 extensively underage, if anything it suits him more than 7. He's not ready to play for Ireland though so he would only be in the squad for experience, and he will definitely be needed over the 6N period for Leinster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

Toner, McCarthy fine. But Denton or Roux haven't inspired me to date. And Cullen is past it. Only me thinking of how Leinster might secure some silverware. I mean you could use your argument the season Thorn was signed...

reality is that Leinster shouldnt be spending money on a foreign lock that will be at most a bench option..

roux, marshall and denton should be given that opportunity..

if anything i'd resign either Sheriff or Flanagan... or maybe look at Brian Hayes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Tox56 wrote: »
    He played 6 extensively underage, if anything it suits him more than 7. He's not ready to play for Ireland though so he would only be in the squad for experience, and he will definitely be needed over the 6N period for Leinster

I do wonder about this. Maybe you're right. But I think of McCaw debuting v Ireland off the back of a handful of ITM cup games, and then the likes of Piutau this season who was outstanding for NZ in the AIs off the back of 1 season of SXV. It seems to take an absolute age in this country for players to be capped, with the odd exception. Still I have really only seen Murphy at 8, so maybe he'll turn out to be no 7. But Ruddock and Murphy were easily the equal of the players Ulster threw out last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I do wonder about this. Maybe you're right. But I think of McCaw debuting v Ireland off the back of a handful of ITM cup games, and then the likes of Piutau this season who was outstanding for NZ in the AIs off the back of 1 season of SXV. It seems to take an absolute age in this country for players to be capped, with the odd exception. Still I have really only seen Murphy at 8, so maybe he'll turn out to be no 7. But Ruddock and Murphy were easily the equal of the players Ulster threw out last week.

If he starts the H cup games I might revise that opinion, but those would be his first H Cup starts. From there to Ireland is another huge step up.

The great players rise to the top, even in Ireland BOD did it. Iain Henderson even managed to do it, that's the sort of top quality prospect that forces coaches to cap him. Murphy isn't McCaw though. Generally I'd agree we need to get young players involved but Murphy needs more time imo. Ruddock on the other hand should play some part in the 6N, his form has been immense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

reality is that Leinster shouldnt be spending money on a foreign lock that will be at most a bench option..

Of course not. I would imagine they would sign someone who they hope would be good enough to start.

Anyway, O'Connor has already said that they will be looking to sign a lock.

Tox56 wrote: »
    If he starts the H cup games I might revise that opinion, but those would be his first H Cup starts. From there to Ireland is another huge step up.

The great players rise to the top, even in Ireland BOD did it. Iain Henderson even managed to do it, that's the sort of top quality prospect that forces coaches to cap him. Murphy isn't McCaw though. Generally I'd agree we need to get young players involved but Murphy needs more time imo. Ruddock on the other hand should play some part in the 6N, his form has been immense

Yeah, even the NZ coaches have abandoned direct caps from ITM cup these days, they got their hands burnt with Isaia Toeava.

I'm probably just wanting him to do well before his time, and am a bit blinkered on the issue. As you say, he does need to have some good HEC performances, but if shines in those, then I'd give him the nod. In any case, I totally agree with Murphy and Ruddock displacing Jennings in the pecking order, they are the future of Leinster rugby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A win tomorrow would put us on 40 pts, Munster would only be 3 ahead so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Good result in the league tonight with Munster getting nothing at Ravenhill, pressure on the lads to get the result in Galway now. A win would put us to at least within 3 of Munster with them still due a visit to Dublin, league would be blown wide open again from our point of view after Munster looked to be pulling away a bit. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Operation Clancy is Green for Go

I repeat

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Aye and leinster have a lot of winnable games during the 6n
    Zebra home and away, home to dragons and Glasgow, carfiff away.
    A win tomorrow would put us in a good position to make a charge.

We'll be missing a lot during 6n, particularly in the front row but most of those games are winnable.

BBDBB wrote: »

I repeat

;)

B*stard :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

RK leads a charmed life. His inability to play wing has really benefitted him over the years. Still, I think it's the right selection, if you put Kirchner at 15 (his best position), you're probably obliged to start DK and bench RK.

Delighted to see Murphy at 7, Henry was good for Ulster tonight, but the 7 jersey is by no means locked down, and I'm going to put my cards on the table and pick Murphy to be a potential bolter in Schmidt's Ireland squad, especially if he shows he can play 7 as well as 8.

I hope for the sake of tribalism on this forum, Murphy is not a bolter for Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He was pretty awful last week. And with retirement looming up large, I don't think I'd play him again this season. I tend to agree that Leinster could do well to get an overseas signing at lock.

Cullen has played less than 300 minutes of rugby this season - even BOD has played more rugby than him! I have a feeling in my waters he'll come good before the season is out.

That Munster loss is a great result for us. It's also great to see 3 Irish provinces leading the Pro 12.

Teferi wrote: »
    It's also great to see 3 Irish provinces leading the Pro 12.

Lol, nope.

That was true for about half an hour. The Ospreys win puts them ahead of Ulster and us into fourth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's also great to see 3 Irish provinces leading the Pro 12.

I really don't agree. I want to see Welsh and Scottish teams competing up top or its all just a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really don't agree. I want to see Welsh and Scottish teams competing up top or its all just a bit pointless.

Yeah, while it's nice that we're good... a lack of competition just makes it all seem a bit worthless. Maybe not so much this year, Glasgow started decently and Ospreys are always decent... but next year, the way things are going, it looks like the Irish teams might walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lol, nope.

That was true for about half an hour. The Ospreys win puts them ahead of Ulster and us into fourth.

Also Glasgow have two games in hand....two fairly easy games. I too would prefer to see more competition, just so long as we are top of the heap. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Current level of competition does allow us to play young guys a lot. At least we are making the most out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Cullen has played less than 300 minutes of rugby this season - even BOD has played more rugby than him! I have a feeling in my waters he'll come good before the season is out.

Yeah Cullen hasn't gotten back to form at all yet but with the 6n coming up which will take away Toner / McCarthy I absolutely wouldn't bet against him being crucial during that period and playing himself into contention for the end of the season.

I hope he does, he deserves a proper send off to his Leinster career.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭SportingFun

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah, while it's nice that we're good... a lack of competition just makes it all seem a bit worthless. Maybe not so much this year, Glasgow started decently and Ospreys are always decent... but next year, the way things are going, it looks like the Irish teams might walk it.

The way the welsh team are losing players due to all the ongoing issues there Irish teams will walk it and will also start to lose their best players as any decent player wants some level of competition week in week out which the Rabo struggles with already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Just to point out that he started his Leinster and Ireland careers on the wing and was very good there. That's 6 years ago now but he'd do a job there if he had to.

Trying to remeber if Nacewa was ever preferred to Kearney at FB when both players were fully fit or did Nacewa always shift to wing to accomodate Kearney?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

gaius c wrote: »
    Trying to remeber if Nacewa was ever preferred to Kearney at FB when both players were fully fit or did Nacewa always shift to wing to accomodate Kearney?

2009 in the HEC knockouts iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »
    2009 in the HEC knockouts iirc

Think Kearney was still coming back from mumps at that stage though, was still weak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

Fitz out with illness. Kearney starts, macken on bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Think Kearney was still coming back from mumps at that stage though, was still weak.

And only in the final, Kearney missed the semi completely.

Leinster's bench for the final was mental, two full backs and a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No harm. Fitz hasn't a huge amount of rugby played overall this season but he has been lining out a lot of late. Dave Kearney is in good form.

I can see Connacht doing what they usually do and throwing everything into this game against the city boys. One of the reasons I hate playing them. It's either going to be a tight, ugly Leinster win or any kind of Connacht win, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

And only in the final, Kearney missed the semi completely.

Leinster's bench for the final was mental, two full backs and a winger - if Sexton had got injured we were rightly f**ked.

Nacewa. He wasn't a great outhalf but had played there a handful of times that season including starting a HEC game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

For me Gopps to start next week. Scrum half I'm undecided, I think people are being harsh on Reddan in the other thread for mistakes that weren't his. If it wasn't for him we would've been in trouble at the breakdown, the speed he was getting the ball away with was great, Connacht tried to spoil the ball but Reddan would get it away before they could.

I'm edging towards Reddan to start, also boss is a better bench option is the game is tight and physical

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement