Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

• 03-01-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The Old thread was reaching it's size limit so we might as well start a new thread for the new year

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

brianODriscollLeinster_large.jpg

just because

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Old thread was reaching it's size limit so we might as well start a new thread for the new year
    Happy New Year......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Does anyone know when the free Leinster calendar is out with the Herald?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

First!

... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Almost always play a strong team the weekend before the HEC

This could be a very very strong side against Connacht and going by some training pics it could be?

Rob
    Zane
    BOD
    Darcy
    Fitz
    Madigan
    Reddan

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore

Toner
    McCarthy?

Rhys
    Jennings?
    Heaslip

Dundon
    JOC
    Ross

Cullen
    Jordi
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Dave K?

Would Have Ryan in for Jennings on Form and Jordi unlucky but Heaslip is back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Almost always play a strong team the weekend before the HEC

This could be a very very strong side against Connacht and going by some training pics it could be?

Rob
    Zane
    BOD
    Darcy
    Fitz
    Madigan
    Reddan

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore

Toner
    McCarthy?

Rhys
    Jennings?
    Heaslip

Dundon
    JOC
    Ross

Cullen
    Jordi
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Dave K?

Would Have Ryan in for Jennings on Form and Jordi unlucky but Heaslip is back

The most interesting of the training pics was this:

819769.jpg

L McGrath running backline moves with the first choice backline.

Still hard to see him starting this game but it would be a good test for him if he did, up against his U20 partner Marmion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Connacht team:

15. Darragh Leader
    14. Fionn Carr
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Eoin Griffin
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Craig Clarke (captain)
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. John Muldoon
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Rodney Ah You
    19. Michael Swift
    20. George Naoupu
    21. Paul O’Donohoe
    22. Dan Parks
    23. Tiernan O’Halloran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Zane Kirchner
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Jack McGrath
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Martin Moore
    4: Devin Toner
    5: Tom Denton
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Jack O'Connell
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Mike McCarthy
    20: Dominic Ryan
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Jimmy Gopperth
    23: Dave Kearney

No Heenan still injured unlucky

He is quality

• Advertisement

Aha, Murphy to 7, interesting. Really think he could be employed there for us against Castres.

Not sure about that second row pairing, but overall tasty looking team. Strongest we've sent to Connacht in years.

Murphy at 7 very interesting.

Pretty much as expected otherwise.

Moore to start the H Cup games surely now. These 3 games (Edi-Ulster-Conn) were the 3 games he needed to nail down first chioce and it looks like he's done that

Not a huge amount to fear on paper in that Connacht team if I'm honest. Should be looking at a good win here. Never know in Galway though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

That must be the H Cup team bar one or two changes

One thing I just don't get with MOC is the constant selection of Denton.

He's been better this year but still don't think he's better than Roux or Marshall. Must be tearing it up in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

LostArt wrote: »
    That must be the H Cup team bar one or two changes

McCarthy for Denton is the only change I'd make to the starting XV for now. It will be interesting to see how our back row goes. Could potentially put Jenno or Ryan in at 7 next week but if they do well against Connacht tomorrow then I'd nearly be happy keeping that unit. Loving the back line. If the weather permits and we can get some good quick ball I'd hope we can show some class.

Moore starting :D
    Denton starting :confused:
    Ruddock starting :D
    Murphy at 7 :)
    JOC on bench :cool:
    Ryan on bench :cool:

Overall fairly happy with that.

surprised BOD is starting tbh.

interesting to see leader at 15 and henshaw at 13.

carty at 10 too.

Moore starting :D
    Denton starting :confused:
    Ruddock starting :D
    Murphy at 7 :)
    JOC on bench :cool:
    Ryan on bench :cool:

Overall fairly happy with that.

surprised BOD is starting tbh.

Were you not going on about Murphy's inexperience at 7 and how Ryan was way ahead of him there a few days ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

If Jack, Marty, Rhys and Jordi are in line to start in Castres it's pretty exciting but it would be a fairly callow pack in terms of experience.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    McCarthy for Denton is the only change I'd make to the starting XV for now. It will be interesting to see how outlet back row goes. Could potentially put Jenno or Ryan in at 7 next week but if they do well against Connacht tomorrow then I'd nearly be happy keeping that unit. Loving the back line. If the weather permits and we can get some good quick ball I'd hope we can show some class.

It looks like Jennings is paying for that Northampton performance. Wasn't in the squad last week and isn't in the squad this week.

McLaughlin appears to be out of favour too, amazing how quick that can happen (rightly so imo given Ruddock's form). I suspect one of them will get at least a bench spot in Castres but Ryan has played 20 for the last 3 games, so I wouldn't rule him out for the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Exciting looking Connacht team especially Carty and Leader coming into the side. A lot of running talent. Their pack is solid enough but exact same as last weekend that struggled at the breakdown. We should be looking to flood it and damage their ball especially with the weather due to actually be alright for the game.

Our team is very interesting. Murphy at openside is a very pleasing move. He is slowly moving into the Seán O'Brien role, perhaps, of being a strong carrier that can play across the back row.

Looks like JOC is ahead of Bent now too. Great boost for him.

No mention of Jennings in the press release. Has Ryan leapfrogged him? No McLaughlin either. Interesting.

Were you not going on about Murphy's inexperience at 7 and how Ryan was way ahead of him there a few days ago?!

I was saying that i thought Ryan was playing well this season and that people shouldn't be calling for Murphy is start in the heineken cup at 7 when he hadnt played there for Leinster in approx a year.

Let's see how he goes against connacht.

I've previously also said that i thought Murphy was best suited to 7 long term because he is relatively small for a top class 8.

Just happy to see Dippy ahead of Jennings on the bench, who has outperformed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have to say I thought Jennings was really ineffective in the loss against Northampton. I'd be in favour of Murphy keeping his place in the team, he's done really well lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

I suppose Ryan is more flexible which makes him a good choice at 20 compared to Jennings or Kev?

So so harsh on Kev, basically while he was away benching for Ireland in November, he slipped dramatically down the pecking order at Leinster. Think the only game he has played since then has been Edinburgh?

Average age of the starting pack is 25.

McGrath(24), Cronin(27), Moore(22), Denton(25), Toner(27), Ruddock(23), Murphy(22), Heaslip(30).

Buer wrote: »

Looks like JOC is ahead of Bent now too. Great boost for him.

Completely missed that too. OK Bent will probably bench v Castres, but even so at the start of this season who would have thought we would be at the stage in a first choice team (or close to it) that Moore would be starting ahead of Ross, JOC ahead of Bent and neither Jennings or McLaughlin would be in the 23 even with SOB injured. Amazing what can happen in the space of a few months. That's without even mentioning J McGrath's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Has McFaddden just dropped off the planet or something?Even in this thread there's been no talk about him for a while now.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Has McFaddden just dropped off the planet or something?Even in this thread there's been no talk about him for a while now.

Injured hand broken bone another month i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Forecast is for it to be not as windy tomorrow so hopefully that won't wreck the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Injured hand broken bone another month i think

Looks like he was at the Irish squad get together over Christmas.
    He'd be a very good bench option depending on injuries etc.
    He'll find it hard to get back in the Leinster side with Luke, Kirchner and the Kearneys in great form.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Looks like he was at the Irish squad get together over Christmas.
    He'd be a very good bench option depending on injuries etc.
    He'll find it hard to get back in the Leinster side with Luke, Kirchner and the Kearneys in great form.

Form winger last year, great problem to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Form winger last year, great problem to have

His performance against Aus was as good as any Irish winger this season. If he can get back to that he can force his way back into the team. A good player isn't going to make the 23 anyway if everyone is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've a memory like a sieve, but what's out injury list at present?

Healy (Ankle - A week too soon?)
    O'Brien (Shoulder - Long term)
    Strauss (Heart - Long term)
    McFadden (Wrist / Hand - A week too soon?)
    Goodman (Does he even still play for us?)

Any info on guys like Roux, Marshall, Hudson .... have they just fallen off the face of the earth? If Roux isn't injured I'm particularly surprised by his fall from grace, thought he was making some great progress.

Is Bent injured or is Jack O'Connell ahead of him at loose head now? I thought Bent was having a great season on the other side of the scrum this season too.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've a memory like a sieve, but what's out injury list at present?

Healy (Ankle - A week too soon?)
    O'Brien (Shoulder - Long term)
    Strauss (Heart - Long term)
    McFadden (Wrist / Hand - A week too soon?)
    Goodman (Does he even still play for us?)

Any info on guys like Roux, Marshall, Hudson .... have they just fallen off the face of the earth? If Roux isn't injured I'm particularly surprised by his fall from grace, thought he was making some great progress.

Is Bent injured or is Jack O'Connell ahead of him at loose head now? I thought Bent was having a great season on the other side of the scrum this season too.

Healy back for game 1 or 2 of 6N

Goodman effectively gone

• Advertisement

SOB - gone for season
    Goodman - gone for season
    Strauss - gone for season
    Healy - back by 6N
    McFadden - back by 6N
    Bent - ankle out for a few weeks iirc

afaik Roux, Marshall and Hudson are healthy.

Is McLoughlin injured? No sign of him for a few weeks now.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Is McLoughlin injured? No sign of him for a few weeks now.

think there was talk of him carrying something post AI's

his last game was the loss edinburgh, taken off for Ryan

Has Murphy ever played 6?

.ak wrote: »
    Has Murphy ever played 6?

Fairly sure he has last season?

• Advertisement

A backrow of 8. Heaslip, 7. SOB, 6. Murphy would be dangerous.

.ak wrote: »
    A backrow of 8. Heaslip, 7. SOB, 6. Murphy would be dangerous.

"Not enough Shimmyers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Is Cullen out of favour so? I think he could have done with getting some more time under his belt with this game. I joke plenty have written him off but I feel he could be key coming into the business end of the season.

I think there's probably an element of MOC wanting to get a look at as many options as possible. I think McCarthy and Toner are pretty much nailed on starters for Castres so tomorrow is the last day they can get a run out together (I suspect Denton will be called in after 60). If Denton impresses he may get the 19 jersey, but I reckon we'll see Cullen get it anyway.

I think Cullen has taken a fairly significant step back from the first team this season, and it's not the worst idea in the world. He's a good impact player off the bench, but physically I just don't think he's at the races any more to be honest.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think Cullen has taken a fairly significant step back from the first team this season, and it's not the worst idea in the world. He's a good impact player off the bench, but physically I just don't think he's at the races any more to be honest.

agreed, good to have around the squad but past it at the top level now..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You'd have a tough time claiming Cullen is a good impact player based on his performances off the bench this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I've always thought Cullen has generally been very poor off the bench throughout his career. He'd probably be the opposite of what I would want to see from a lock off the bench, I'd prefer a big athletic lump than a sly old man really. But his leadership is obviously very important to the squad.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You'd have a tough time claiming Cullen is a good impact player based on his performances off the bench this season so far.

That's a fair point, he was shocking against the Scarlets and had minimal impact in the Heineken Cup, but in his defence those were his first games back, I thought he did ok with the couple of starts though and I still think he would be a decent fella to bring on when closing out games.

Definitely overcompensating for his decline with increased cynicism though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think Cullen is off the pace this season. And he is being over-sly - he's in danger getting more yellow cards. I also don't think he has the same impact in terms of leadership, either because of his age or his long absence this season. I hate to say all this, because I have always been a fan of his and have always felt we play better when he is on the pitch, but not any more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement