Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I do believe what you're saying, but I still am uncomfortable with words like disgrace etcetera when nothing is concrete.

If I could change the topic slightly, does anyone have any info on the Connacht v Munster game? I know they drew 10-10 but was anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Hagz wrote: »
    I do believe what you're saying, but I still am uncomfortable with words like disgrace etcetera when nothing is concrete.

If I could change the topic slightly, does anyone have any info on the Connacht v Munster game? I know they drew 10-10 but was anyone at it?
    I was at it. Connacht were the better side. Munster looked fairly poor. Connacht's 1,3 and Moloney stood out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Wasn't at it but did hear some of Munster's academy players u/age for 20s were not involved. If hear anymore will post it in the 20s thread

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Leinster5 wrote: »
    I was at it. Connacht were the better side. Munster looked fairly poor. Connacht's 1,3 and Moloney stood out.

Any word on names of Connacht squad yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

All I've said is fact. I'd name the people involved with Leinster I talked with but I told them I wouldn't spread the word as it's a touchy subject at the minute. Allen was seen as "back-up" to their reserve hooker. Leinster currently have 3 hookers in their set-up, so even if there's an injury, Allen would still not be in the 23, so therefore I think it's a f*cking disgrace that Leinster have prevented a player from potentially starting for Connacht's 20 side and going on to play/be involved with the Ireland 20's, instead he's expected to just sit at home and be happy to let his talent go to waste. I agree with most of your statements Foxtrol, but I don't understand how you've zero sympathy for a young player who just wants a chance at making a provincial side and trying to make an Ireland set-up. I just don't think any player, no matter what standard, should receive this harsh treatment, especially at such a crucial stage in his rugby career.

In the last few weeks your sources have said ‘facts’ that Allen had quit rugby and also that he had disciplinary issues with the coaches. If these are true then I could understand that the coaches could easily have sent him back to his club to get his head together and hopefully fire him up going forward and understandably could see how a coach that dropped a player in that situation would be pissed off if another province then tapped him up, especially given his knowledge from time spent with the squad.

I’ve sympathy for the lad up to a point but I however simply don’t believe that it’s as simple as the narrative that’s being made out ‘An amazing young player who has no inside knowledge of the side he trained for is dropped for no good reason and barred from playing rugby with anyone else by this group of evil Leinster coaches’. There’s clearly more to this story, especially given how freely players who haven’t been selected by Leinster in the past have moved to other provinces even when they’re in the sub academy. I think terms like ‘f*cking disgrace’ and the other hyperbole should be saved until the full story is known as in situations like this the details are key (eg ‘being dropped’ and ‘being dropped due to the attitude of the player, to make the point that it wouldn’t be accepted, with the plan to bring him back into the fold later’ would paint the situation in completely different light)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

Ulster 19s beat Connacht U.19s in Ashbourne yesterday 37-5.
    Game of four quarters.
    http://www.intouchrugby.com/magazine/breaking-news-ulster-rugby-u19-i-xv-37-v-connacht-5-report-live-here/

Foxtrol wrote: »
    There’s clearly more to this story, especially given how freely players who haven’t been selected by Leinster in the past have moved to other provinces even when they’re in the sub academy. I think terms like ‘f*cking disgrace’ and the other hyperbole should be saved until the full story is known as in situations like this the details are key (eg ‘being dropped’ and ‘being dropped due to the attitude of the player, to make the point that it wouldn’t be accepted, with the plan to bring him back into the fold later’ would paint the situation in completely different light)
    Allen was dropped from the panel with there being no intention of bringing him back into their set-up. He also wasn't asked to join up with his club 'to sort his head out.' Allen then joined Connacht, obviously knowing that he needs to play provincial 20s rugby in order to maximize his chances of making the Ireland u20 set-up. Then Leinster got in touch with Connacht and told their manager that he could no longer train with them, even though Allen had trained with Connacht. And from what I've been told, Allen is absolutely furious with his treatment from Leinster.

Lads will ye drop the Allen talk. He isn't in a squad at the moment so leave it at that.

Ulster u18 schools play Cardiff tomorrow which should be a good test for Ulster. Hopefully one of the other provinces can challenge Leinster and try win the interpro title as it would be good for another province to win the interpro title somehow but I cant see it being anything other than Leinster winning 18s schools title.

Leinster 20s play Clontarf tomorrow. And also play Old Belvedere on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Leinster 20s play Clontarf tomorrow. And also play Old Belvedere on Tuesday.

times?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

2.30 tomorrow, 7ish tuesday I think

Ulster u18 schools squad from game today against Cardiff which they lost 36-19 is below
    Zach Burtenshaw (Sullivan Upper School)
    Elliott Boyd (Campbell College)
    Matthew Butler (Campbell College)
    John Clarke (Portora RS)
    Harry Cleland (RBAI)
    Peter Cooper (Sullivan Upper School)
    Cameron Fulton (Coleraine AI)
    Aaron Haigh (Campbell College)
    Jonny Harris (Regent House)
    James Houston (Sullivan Upper School)
    Conor Kelly (Methodist College)
    Robert Lyttle (RBAI)
    Angus Macartney (Sullivan Upper School)
    Andrew Magrath (Ballymena Academy)
    Duncan Maguire (Ballymena Academy)
    Joel McBride (Belfast HS)
    Conor McIlmurray (Campbell College)
    Josh McIlroy (Ballymena Academy)
    Conal Murphy (Rainey ES)
    Ben Pentland (Wallace HS
    Andrew Shaw (Bangor GS)
    Cameron Stewart (Campbell College)
    Jacob Stockdale (Wallace HS)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Anyone know the ko time for the Leinster 19s game today??

who are they playing?

FR2 wrote: »
    Anyone know the ko time for the Leinster 19s game today??
    4 with youths game at 2
    lurtz wrote: »
    who are they playing?
    exiles who are also playing the youths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

Awesome Leinster U.19's 51-10 v Exiles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 PlumtreeKiss

Leinster Under-19: Robbie Vallejo; Cormac Brennan, Andy Marks, Fergal Cleary, Cillian Burke; Mark Sutton, Tim Schmidt; Eric O'Sullivan, Andy Roche, N Mpiko, Colin Joyce-Ahearne, Jack Dwan, Andrew Purcell, Conor Oliver, Nick Timoney (capt)

Liam Walshe for Roche, Hugh O'Donnell for Mpiko, J Phelan for O'Sullivan, Michael Courtney for Cleary all h.t.; Alex Penney for Oliver, David Baker for Schmidt, Cian O'Donoghue for Brennan all 45 mins; Jim Doyle for Timoney 47 mins

No David O'Connor and no Charlie Rock..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

No David O'Connor and no Charlie Rock..

O'Connor had shoulder op during summer and is rehabbing. Rock went to the U20s as McCarthy injured.

where are purcell,oliver and jim doyle from? Purcell seriously impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I believe Oliver was the 7 from that video of the Leinster u18 clubs that was floating around last year, looked like a very good player

Purcell is Mullingar, Oliver is Skerries. Jim Doyle must be that James Doyle who played 8 for Belvedere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

did James Nolan the centre not make the 19's or is he injured? Thought that Fergal Cleary was more of a 10 than a 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

Purcell and Oliver were very impressive. Their work rate was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    did James Nolan the centre not make the 19's or is he injured? Thought that Fergal Cleary was more of a 10 than a 12.
    Nolan did make the squad but I think he is injured.

There's some serious talent at centre in that age bracket.
    Fergal Cleary
    Harrison Brewer
    Andy Marks
    Sean O'Hagan
    Steve McMahon
    Rory Bell
    James Nolan

There's some serious talent at centre in that age bracket.
    Fergal Cleary
    Harrison Brewer
    Andy Marks
    Sean O'Hagan
    Steve McMahon
    Rory Bell
    James Nolan

How I'd rate them talent wise
    Harrison Brewer
    Sean O'Hagan
    Fergal Cleary
    Steve McMahon
    Andy Marks
    James Nolan
    Rory Bell

Granted haven't seen much of Bell.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I believe Oliver was the 7 from that video of the Leinster u18 clubs that was floating around last year, looked like a very good player
    BigHeel wrote: »
    Purcell and Oliver were very impressive. Their work rate was amazing.
    Purcell is Mullingar, Oliver is Skerries. Jim Doyle must be that James Doyle who played 8 for Belvedere.

Oliver looks like he certainly picked up a few tips from the great John Murphy at Skerries!

Harrison Brewer
    Sean O'Hagan
    Fergal Cleary
    Steve McMahon
    Andy Marks
    James Nolan
    Rory Bell

would have Marks well up there from what Ive seen,plays very off the cuff quite like conrad smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

would have Marks well up there from what Ive seen,plays very off the cuff quite like conrad smith

Agreed.
    Some step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Harrison Brewer
    Sean O'Hagan
    Fergal Cleary
    Steve McMahon
    Andy Marks
    James Nolan
    Rory Bell

If it was size and bulk then fair enough Brewer but if it was talent..... as in hands and skills then it would be close between O'Hagan and Cleary but you are correct the '95 boys have got amazing strength in depth, not just at centres either. I look forward to the rugby World Cup in 2015...... at U20. That's for another thread in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Stanza2 wrote: »
    If it was size and bulk then fair enough Brewer but if it was talent..... as in hands and skills then it would be close between O'Hagan and Cleary but you are correct the '95 boys have got amazing strength in depth, not just at centres either. I look forward to the rugby World Cup in 2015...... at U20. That's for another thread in the future

Brewer has fantastic hands. I would say that his main strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Brewer has fantastic hands. I would say that his main strength.

Glad to hear that. Just my opinion. I have seen him play live only four maybe five times and that is just my honest opinion. Don't mean it as a downer on the lad, I just think that the other two lads mentioned are more skilful from what I have seen. They are all good players.

I see Sean Moran is playing with Connacht u19s.

Makes sense with Leinster's depth at centre at u19 level.

Poor year for locks though, Dwan is around 6'3/6'4 and Aherne is no bigger than 6'2.

David O'Connor has decent size at 6'5ish. Was hoping Robbie Collins at 6'8 would be involved but it doesn't look like it.

Next lock to enter the academy might be as far away as James Ryan in two years time.

3 locks currently in the academy though so it's not a bad situation. It would be a shame if Dwan doesn't have the height. He impressed me a lot in the LSSC.

3 locks currently in the academy though so it's not a bad situation. It would be a shame if Dwan doesn't have the height. He impressed me a lot in the LSSC.

considering how few have developed over the last 10 years I wouldn't be so sure its a good situation currently.

last lock to come through at a decent level was Toner, most of them haven't been good enough..

Next up is Marshall who is a bit of a tweener but looks like he might be able to do a job..

Anyway enough of the Leinster talk, just saying i'd hope there would be 2 lads 6'6 or taller playing rugby at that age level that could be viable options. Dwan and Aherne will do a good job but neither are potential locks at a professional level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Makes sense with Leinster's depth at centre at u19 level.

Poor year for locks though, Dwan is around 6'3/6'4 and Aherne is no bigger than 6'2.

David O'Connor has decent size at 6'5ish. Was hoping Robbie Collins at 6'8 would be involved but it doesn't look like it.

Next lock to enter the academy might be as far away as James Ryan in two years time.

There was a lock from Marys who got trials who's about 6'5" seems to have put on a good bit of bulk last time I saw him. One of Mary's better players.

LEINSTER SCHOOLS:

15: Jack Power (Blackrock College) VICE CAPTAIN
    14: James Lappin (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    13: Con Callan (St. Gerard's School)
    12: Matthew Gilsenan (St. Michael's College)
    11: Tim Carroll (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    10: Tim Foley (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    9: Dan Lavelle (Cistercian College Roscrea)

1: Eoghan Byrne (Gonzaga College SJ)
    2: Hugo Keane (Blackrock College)
    3: Sean O'Hare (Castleknock College)
    4: Rob Lalor (Terenure College)
    5: James Ryan (St. Michael's College) CAPTAIN
    6: Charlie Cregan (St. Michael's College)
    7: Will Connors (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    8: Greg Jones (St. Andrew's College)
    REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jack Hutchinson (Belvedere College SJ)
    17: Jonny Molony (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    18: Martin Mulhall (Kilkenny College)
    19: Padraig Cullen (Wesley College)
    20: Michael Melia (Terenure College)
    21: David Aspill (The High School)
    22: Max Deegan (St. Michael's College)
    23: Daragh Scanlan (Castleknock College)
    24: David Duggan (St. Michael's College)
    25: Liam O'Sullivan (Kilkenny College)
    26: Jimmy O'Brien (Newbridge College)
    27: Colm Mulcahy (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    28: Jake Howlett (Newbridge College)
    29: Alan Hughes (Clongowes Wood College SJ)

No surprise who the captain is.

A lot of players there I wouldn't be very familiar with Power, Ryan, Lalor, Cregan, Lavelle, Gilsenan and Foley would be about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

LEINSTER SCHOOLS:

15: Jack Power (Blackrock College) VICE CAPTAIN
    14: James Lappin (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    13: Con Callan (St. Gerard's School)
    12: Matthew Gilsenan (St. Michael's College)
    11: Tim Carroll (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    10: Tim Foley (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    9: Dan Lavelle (Cistercian College Roscrea)

1: Eoghan Byrne (Gonzaga College SJ)
    2: Hugo Keane (Blackrock College)
    3: Sean O'Hare (Castleknock College)
    4: Rob Lalor (Terenure College)
    5: James Ryan (St. Michael's College) CAPTAIN
    6: Charlie Cregan (St. Michael's College)
    7: Will Connors (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    8: Greg Jones (St. Andrew's College)
    REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jack Hutchinson (Belvedere College SJ)
    17: Jonny Molony (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    18: Martin Mulhall (Kilkenny College)
    19: Padraig Cullen (Wesley College)
    20: Michael Melia (Terenure College)
    21: David Aspill (The High School)
    22: Max Deegan (St. Michael's College)
    23: Daragh Scanlan (Castleknock College)
    24: David Duggan (St. Michael's College)
    25: Liam O'Sullivan (Kilkenny College)
    26: Jimmy O'Brien (Newbridge College)
    27: Colm Mulcahy (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    28: Jake Howlett (Newbridge College)
    29: Alan Hughes (Clongowes Wood College SJ)

No surprise who the captain is.

A lot of players there I wouldn't be very familiar with Power, Ryan, Lalor, Cregan, Lavelle, Gilsenan and Foley would be about it.

What game is this for?

What game is this for?
    game against Languedoc in France. game 1 of 2 game tour of france
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/10170

Munster u19's lost 21-8 to Clermont, and 17-7 to Leicester.

Munster struggling so far or am i wrong.

Well I think that Clermont and Tigers team were academy teams rather than u19 teams so it's an understandable loss.

Munster u19's lost 21-8 to Clermont, and 17-7 to Leicester.
    only 40 minute games. Both games played on same evening. Leicester and Clermont also played each other same day
    Munster struggling so far or am i wrong.
    Not really but will likely be 3rd behind Leinster and Ulster
    Well I think that Clermont and Tigers team were academy teams rather than u19 teams so it's an understandable loss.
    They were academy sides but missing some of their older academy members I believe and were basically u19 sides

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

JagerScout wrote: »
    Yeah Heffo sticking with Leinster and skipping u19 level along with a few of the other super talented under-18s who just finished school.

CBC Monkstown have three players with the u17 squad team this summer:

William Fay - backrow, Alex Holmes - hooker, Robert Jordan - scrumhalf.

Ben Mahon - scrumhalf is with the u18 squad.

What is the u17 team? Do you have a list of the squad?

Woody1997 wrote: »
    What is the u17 team? Do you have a list of the squad?
    Development side ahead of next years under 18 interpros.
    Don't think a list should be up of that site this early especially as they will not be playing interpros and squad will change a lot ahead of next year

ormond lad wrote: »
    Development side ahead of next years under 18 interpros.
    Don't think a list should be up of that site this early especially as they will not be playing interpros and squad will change a lot ahead of next year

Are there any blackrock/michaels players in it?

Woody1997 wrote: »
    Are there any blackrock/michaels players in it?
    No idea but assume several esp as rock won junior cup last year so they'll have strong set of players u/age for 17s this season

ormond lad wrote: »
    No idea but assume several esp as rock won junior cup last year so they'll have strong set of players u/age for 17s this season

Ye that's why I was wondering but I think blackrock have a policy of not letting players attend u16/17 leinster trials for some reason

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement