Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Rugby YouTube Videos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

almighty1 wrote: »
    Why was that a yellow card?

Didn't Leinster get 4 yellow cards in this game and about a million warnings? The ref was being a complete dick towards the Academy players while I counted 5 knock on's (3 for sure) from Glasgow and no fouls awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Tina Turner must have learned those boxing skills from Ike. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Dunno if this has been posted on Boards but I may as well post again if so. I started watching these documentarites on ESPN called 30 for 30, 30 docs to celebrate 30 years of ESPN in the US. One of the subject matters was the 1995 World Cup, Mandela ect, obviousely with Invictus. Whilst the movie was a dissapointed I felt, this doc delivers. Freeman narates and its a good one. Part one below and the other parts easy enough to find on the related videos on YouTube. Some of the other 30 for 30 docs are there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

themont85 wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been posted on Boards but I may as well post again if so. I started watching these documentarites on ESPN called 30 for 30, 30 docs to celebrate 30 years of ESPN in the US. One of the subject matters was the 1995 World Cup, Mandela ect, obviousely with Invictus. Whilst the movie was a dissapointed I felt, this doc delivers. Freeman narates and its a good one. Part one below and the other parts easy enough to find on the related videos on YouTube. Some of the other 30 for 30 docs are there too.

Great documentary. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Yeah it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Found this while looking for a video of Jonny Wilkinson's try for England against the All Blacks at Twickenham in 2002 - how quick was/is Dougie Howlett!!!

C'MON MUNSTER! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So much better that it's Earl Rose he's Dougied. :D

Simpson-Daniel, what a player

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Found this while looking for a video of Jonny Wilkinson's try for England against the All Blacks at Twickenham in 2002 - how quick was/is Dougie Howlett!!!

great passage of play there.you can see how much space there is between players as opposed to now.one thing i noted was mccaws cracking tackle on dawson......he would get a yellow and a citing for that now.in those days you were lauded for hits like that.rugby was a much better game "hits" wise pre the o driscoll/umaga/mealamu incident.because it happened to a high profile player ie the lions captain (o driscoll) in a huge game didnt help.if umaga had of done it to nick popplewell i think we wouldnt have the hysteria we have now.

one of the aussie commentators leaping to owen franks defence last week after his hit on richard brown came out with this cracker "if you have the ball you should expect to be shoulder charged".par for the course. i personnally love tip tackles and dump tackles spectacle wise even though i acknowledge they are dangerous(in some cases).one that springs to mind is george gregan on richard kahui years ago when kahui played for otagogeorgegreganspear.jpg

this was dangerous.but nothing ive seen so far this year that is like that "being arrowed" in to the ground.nothing wrong with a solid dump tackle in my opinion.i have copped a few of these myself in the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

great passage of play there.you can nothing wrong with a solid dump tackle in my opinion.i have copped a few of these myself in the past

I agree, none of these stupid yellow cards for 'could be dangerous tackles'. It should be left to the referee to decide wether the player has crossed the line and if he has, fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

one of the aussie commentators leaping to owen franks defence last week after his hit on richard brown came out with this cracker "if you have the ball you should expect to be shoulder charged".par for the course.

going slightly off topic here but when the commentator heard that all i could think was what a dope. shoulder charges are allowed in rugby league(i think) and british bulldog, but they really have no place in rugby.

there is a finesse to pulling off a good tackle, its a skill in itself. there is no skill in a shoulder charge.

there was a thread on here a while ago about a scottish study into rugby that impled the scrum should be banned which everyone went nuts about. what was also in that article and is becoming a problem with american footballers from a generation ago is the danger of concussion.

former players are far more likely to get dementia and other problems like that in later life, but far earlier than would be expected.

here is alink to the story

http://www.nytimes.com/info/concussions-in-football/

shoulder charges in my opinion lead to head trauma which leads to concussion.

rugby is a tough aggressive game, but it doesnt have to be dangerous.

now i have gone off on a little rant and i do agree that mitchell's first yellow was silly, but on franks yellow in real time it looked like he gave brown some whack.

replays later showed it mighten have been such a clear cut case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Simpson-Daniel, what a player

Prefer this dummy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

how quick was/is Dougie Howlett!!!

Was? Very. Is? Not particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Some great vids of skill posted here.....but my most memorable clips of all time are these 2...

Perpignan v Burgoin fight from 2006

Brian Lima minces Derick Hougaard

Really dropped my jaw :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Any Christian Cullen clip is pure gold to watch. One of the greatest full-backs ever. In my own humble opinion, he was the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

The things some guys try are just outrageous, but when they work, they work to great effect!

Carlos Spencer setting up Joe Rockocoko at RWC '03 against the boks.

A pretty special DC conversion for the crusaders.

A selection of Rupeni Caucaunibuca tries. I could watch these over and over!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4ka-5j2vU&feature=related

makes the hairs stand on the back of ur neck! :)

From a recent New Zealand ITM series match between Wellington and Counties Manukau - a prop scores a great try without the ball! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

From a recent New Zealand ITM series match between Wellington and Counties Manukau - a prop scores a great try without the ball! :D

Brilliant steal.

Great try too. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

love watching the older games on espn?? rugby was so much more fun back then me thinks

I had to watch again - Dougie's speed is just awesome, hopefully he will find some of it again this Heineken Cup season. :D

twinytwo wrote: »
    love watching the older games on espn?? rugby was so much more fun back then me thinks
    i agree,they were the halcion days of test rugby.defences/fitness levels are too good now and its hard to have mismatches when backrow forwards like spies can run 100m in 11 seconds and scrum halves like will genia can bench press as much as front rowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This isn't a favourite but I want peoples opinions on whether the red card was deserved, without starting a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

This isn't a favourite but I want peoples opinions on whether the red card was deserved, without starting a new thread.

Not red, yellow seeing as Lawes slips as Rush is making the tackle. However, I can understand red because the ref doesn't have slow-mo vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

Aw man I love it when people don't start new threads. Genuinely. "Was it a forward pass?" etc does my head in.

Hard to say if it was a red or not. Happened far to fast for the ref or linesman to see that Lawes slipped/dropped down. I think it was accidental but still gotta get a yellow. I understand the red but I don't think they will think it was fair when they see the video.

Rush is too good to bother being dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

one thing i noted was mccaws cracking tackle on dawson......he would get a yellow and a citing for that now.

Richie McCaw - yellow card? Come off it!

tolosenc wrote: »
    Richie McCaw - yellow card? Come off it!
    the following post puts the kybosh on your post and rubbishes my initial post............................................it was marty holah

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched the whole game and there were several bust ups during it with both sides at it. In real time it looks very bad, and in the context of the game, I don't think he gave the ref an option as his (the ref's) patience had been tested so much to that point (Cardiff already had a man in the bin when Rush did this).

In slo-mo though, it looks yellow, but he doesn't wrap the player either, so hard one to call. Thing is, if he was 18inches lower at that speed, we'd be marveling the hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭stejkenny

Advertisement