Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Android watch should i get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Pebble Time is still my daily driver.
    Even with the servers down it's a great watch.

Still using my Pebble Time as well. Servers haven't been shut down yet, they will be at the end of this month though :( Looking for something to replace it for when that finally happens but nothing seems to come close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I bought a Chinese Android watch the other day... ZGPAX S99C for €100. 1.39" amoled screen, 1GB ram, 1.3ghz processor. Waiting to receive it. If it does what €250 plus smart watches do then I see no reason to be unhappy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

daithilfc wrote: »
    I just ordered the following one for my fossil.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2NRMA1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3RXbBbZP8S52G

Reports are it works so be handy to have beside the bed

I have been using mine the last few days and seems to be perfect. I have it plugged into usb port on PC so can't judge how fast it is but is doing the job of topping up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ericaa wrote: »
    Still using my Pebble Time as well. Servers haven't been shut down yet, they will be at the end of this month though :( Looking for something to replace it for when that finally happens but nothing seems to come close!
    I still have a Pebble Time Steel too. Nothing comes close to the 10 day battery life. Had an email from Fitbit offering a paltry discount on one of their watches that was similar in size and shape to the Pebble, but only a max of 4 days battery life iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not android I know but I picked up a Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago. It is actually very good for all notifications from android, good customizable clock faces and some custom apps like Strava (which I haven't tried yet) as well as all the usual FitBit stuff. Can store music also but haven't bothered with that either yet. 4/5 day battery life also. It seems quite like the Pebble Time to be honest which is understandable as FitBit acquired Pebble. For 199 euro I am very impressed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the new Ionic that Fitbit are trying to flog to ex-Pebble users. Strange squared off looking thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Picked up a Xiami Amazit Bip from amazon last week - very happy with it. Gives all the notifications I need, plenty of watch faces available. Over 8 days the battery has dropped from 70% to 44%, so reports of 1 month battery life are not too far off the mark either. Can be got for about €60 from China (and possibly cheaper if you're lucky)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone using the Xiaomi Amazfit 2? Are you happy with it - looks a good price from what I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

i bought an amazfit stratos on adverts for 100 euro, it was in chinese so had to do a bit of jiggery pokery to get it working as I wanted it.

It's exactly what I wanted, not the flashiest watch out there but fast, light, pretty and 4 days battery life per charge.
    Works for most alerts and I can control my spotify playback etc.
    I would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

So, I got my Huawei Watch 2. I ordered the normal bluetooth model but appear to have gotten the 4G model. Model number is LEO-DLXX within the system settings but LEO-BX9 on the box.

What can I do with a sim installed? Do I have to pay for another connection or is there some way to (legally) clone my current sim? What's the major benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have been using mine the last few days and seems to be perfect. I have it plugged into usb port on PC so can't judge how fast it is but is doing the job of topping up .

Been using mine the last couple weeks and its working perfect too. Have usb plugged into the extension lead and it easily charges up overnight, never really checked how quick its working.

I have noticed the back is a little bit warm when you take it off charge but nothing too major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone using the Xiaomi Amazfit 2? Are you happy with it - looks a good price from what I can see

I got one about 2 weeks ago , to replace my lost gear s3. Absolutely love it. I don't have notifications on, just use it for time and things like tracking my 5 a side game( constant heartbeat, GPS, distance run etc) and normally get 4 or 5 days from the battery.

coach22 wrote: »
    I have this watch and Android Pay is not officaly supported in Ireland on Android Oreo yet. The app keeps getting disabled on the watch. To use it I have to re-enable it but then after 20 mins or so it will be gone from the watch again.

Its still far quicker just to use my mobile for payments with all the hassle of the above

For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brouken.wear.payenabler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got one of the Verizon Wear24 watches.
    Not your typical WearOS set up.
    Had to turn off the embedded SIM then go through and set permissions.
    Updating has been a curse too.
    Out of the box it was Android Wear 1.5, awkward and slow to get it to WearOS 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

tipperary wrote: »
    Picked up a Xiami Amazit Bip from amazon last week - very happy with it. Gives all the notifications I need, plenty of watch faces available. Over 8 days the battery has dropped from 70% to 44%, so reports of 1 month battery life are not too far off the mark either. Can be got for about €60 from China (and possibly cheaper if you're lucky)

Current status of my battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tempted to pick up Amazefit Bip - best price looks to be here albeit with a bit of a wait and customs.

https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_1126414.html

EDIT: Actually, this ain't bad: https://www.honorbuy.com/1156-amazfit-smart-watch-youth-edition.html

EDIT 2: Went with Joybuying with a $5 voucher in the end: https://www.joybuy.com/600117021.html

Got it for just over €40.60 so even with customs, it'll still probably be cheaper than Amazon. Am in no rush for it so don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Been looking at the lemfo lem7. Anyone on here have one? Or would they even work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JamboTyson

"For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store"

Just wondering if this workaround is still good as I read elsewhere it's based now on where card is registered? Thinking getting smartwatch and would love to be able to use google pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I bought an Xiaomi Amazfit 2 about a month ago for £150 on Amazon, which is a great price, particularly for what you get. It's a great looking watch, with a big round face, and an always on display. The battery is currently lasting around 4 days, that includes having the heart rate monitor on all the time, although as you'd expect when you switch on an activity that requires GPS the battery drains more quickly. I charged it to 100% on Sunday evening, walked for 4.5 hours on Monday, 4 hours on Tuesday and another 4 hours today, with GPS enabled, and have 15% life left.

It's fully waterproof, and you can do all the usual things like changing the watch faces through the app. The interface on the phone is surprisingly smooth and polished, which I didn't really expect considering it's not an Apple or Android device. The app itself is excellent, with great tracking and visualisation capabilities, although it does consume a fair bit of battery power.

The screen on the watch is very interesting. It actually works and looks much better in full sunlight compared to indoors in low light. There is the usual smartwatch thing of the backlight switching on when you flick your wrist, though I've found this a little inconsistent.

Negatives? As it's not Android or Apple, there are no apps available to install, so although the GPS is accurate, I can't use it for a round of golf, not at the moment anyway.

Overall I love the thing. It can track a very large number of activities such as running, spinning, climbing, including your altitude. The battery life, as already mentioned, is excellent, and in my opinion it looks great. Plus, at that price it's a steal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I bought the Huawei watch 2 4g version on amazon.co.uk for about 150 euro delivered the other day. Seems like the best price it's been for 4g version. It was from the warehouse and marked 'good' but it literally hadn't been touched. I'm pretty sure they're selling off stock. It was 170 sterling but reduced to around 130 with the current 20 percent off for prime members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

JamboTyson wrote: »
    "For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store"

Just wondering if this workaround is still good as I read elsewhere it's based now on where card is registered? Thinking getting smartwatch and would love to be able to use google pay.

It works but overall it is quite slow to use. Using google pay on my S8 phone is far quicker and better

Have ordered the Ticwatch Pro, will post thoughts on it later this week once it arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Have ordered the Ticwatch Pro, will post thoughts on it later this week once it arrives

Following for this. Handsome looking device, price isn't too saucy either... The only thing that would put me off is that apparently new hardware is coming for better performing watches, although apparently that's been coming for months and months already...

dulpit wrote: »
    Following for this. Handsome looking device, price isn't too saucy either... The only thing that would put me off is that apparently new hardware is coming for better performing watches, although apparently that's been coming for months and months already...

Got it today. Really like it so far price also dropped to £198 on Amazon. I know theres prob better coming later in the year but I imagine they'll be really expensive. Will post more details in next couple of days after some solid use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got it today. Really like it so far price also dropped to £198 on Amazon. I know theres prob better coming later in the year but I imagine they'll be really expensive. Will post more details in next couple of days after some solid use

Photos too please

It seems like they've stopped whatever nonsense they were at with Google Pay anyway. It's not disappearing anymore. Haven't used it yet though

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It seems like they've stopped whatever nonsense they were at with Google Pay anyway. It's not disappearing anymore. Haven't used it yet though

Still not showing on my wear os I have to enable with work around? That keeps it there for around 20 mins. Did you get a new update or something?

Still not showing on my wear os I have to enable with work around? That keeps it there for around 20 mins. Did you get a new update or something?

Just used it on lunch there and everything is working fine. There was an update to pay, both on phone and watch and also wear os app on watch. Search for it in the watch app store and there should be an option to update

Also, if you have a hardware watch button, I recommend assigning it to launch pay. You need to have the app open on watch to use pay

Just used it on lunch there and everything is working fine. There was an update to pay, both on phone and watch and also wear os app on watch. Search for it in the watch app store and there should be an option to update

Also, if you have a hardware watch button, I recommend assigning it to launch pay. You need to have the app open on watch to use pay

OK thanks will keep an eye out. Google pay for me in play store says last update was June 22nd so there's no update pending for me. I did update wear os app yesterday. I assume this is android you're talking about and not IOS?

• Advertisement

What version of the app do you have on your phone and watch?

Phone app is 2.70.204965962 updated July 20th
    Watch app is 2.70.203871638 updated 9th July. I'm running Oreo on an S8+ and Oreo on Huawei watch 2 LTE

Phone app is 2.70.204965962 updated July 20th
    Watch app is 2.70.203871638 updated 9th July. I'm running Oreo on an S8+ and Oreo on Huawei watch 2 LTE

Thanks for that my phone version matches yours but watch app is still from Feb. Not sure how to get that to update, guess I'll just have to wait and see if it auto updates soon

Thanks for that my phone version matches yours but watch app is still from Feb. Not sure how to get that to update, guess I'll just have to wait and see if it auto updates soon

Try to delete pay enabler then searching for Google pay in the watch app market, clicking enable or update and enable a screen lock. Maybe even enable that first

Try to delete pay enabler then searching for Google pay in the watch app market, clicking enable or update and enable a screen lock. Maybe even enable that first

No joy there but thanks for the suggestions anyway. Looks like I'll just have to wait it out who knows it may only be sorted for huawei devices initially

Still happy with this? I'm considering ordering - can I ask if it comes with a plug or just USB cable?

Still happy with this? I'm considering ordering - can I ask if it comes with a plug or just USB cable?

Yes, I think it's great it's my first smart watch never fancied getting into them in the past because of battery times but at the moment I'm on pace to get 3 days smart use out of this and would still prob have juice for essential mode as well. That's with wrist gestures off but screen still wakes for notifications which suits me fine. I'd consider my usage normal over last 2 days, notifications flowing in, some NFC payments (with pay enabler workaround) , google assistant etc. I turn it off a night but have it in use then roughly 16 hours a day. I actually really like the LCD screen great to be able to just tell the time and steps without waking it so that's a big battery saver

It looks great as well, I went for the all black version. I have order my own strap though I'm not rally a fan of the leather look but that's just my preference.

Honesty have no major negatives at the moment. Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It comes with just a USB for charging, watch docks on the magnetic port

Yes, I think it's great it's my first smart watch never fancied getting into them in the past because of battery times but at the moment I'm on pace to get 3 days smart use out of this and would still prob have juice for essential mode as well. That's with wrist gestures off but screen still wakes for notifications which suits me fine. I'd consider my usage normal over last 2 days, notifications flowing in, some NFC payments (with pay enabler workaround) , google assistant etc. I turn it off a night but have it in use then roughly 16 hours a day. I actually really like the LCD screen great to be able to just tell the time and steps without waking it so that's a big battery saver

It looks great as well, I went for the all black version. I have order my own strap though I'm not rally a fan of the leather look but that's just my preference.

Honesty have no major negatives at the moment. Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It comes with just a USB for charging, watch docks on the magnetic port
    Thanks - I actually like the brown strap version, seeing it on a lot of ads but doesn't seem to be available on Amazon or the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It doesn't work yet on my Huawei 2. I tried the suggested work arounds (previous post here and one from XDA forum) and none worked for me anyways.

T-Bird wrote: »
    It doesn't work yet on my Huawei 2. I tried the suggested work arounds (previous post here and one from XDA forum) and none worked for me anyways.

I know app update release times can vary even on the same device so maybe you'll get it soon. I have the exact same phone as my friend and he got a Google pay update on Friday and I only received it today!

Saying that though I can't find any sign of google pay for wear os version (2.70.203871638), anywhere. Was gonna try and manually load it to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I know app update release times can vary even on the same device so maybe you'll get it soon. I have the exact same phone as my friend and he got a Google pay update on Friday and I only received it today!

Saying that though I can't find any sign of google pay for wear os version (2.70.203871638), anywhere. Was gonna try and manually load it to watch.

I had the same versions of apps mentioned in the post and it didn't work.

Just had a look there and there was another Google pay update with release date of 23rd

Update: still needs enabling..

T-Bird wrote: »
    I had the same versions of apps mentioned in the post and it didn't work.

Just had a look there and there was another Google pay update with release date of 23rd

Update: still needs enabling..

Not sure what's going on so. That version number in your screen shot matches the version you have on my phone. I always thought wear os had its own version of pay

I'm with Ulster bank if that makes a difference. I also have revolut set up with it. Still working away

I'm with Ulster bank if that makes a difference. I also have revolut set up with it. Still working away

Got a Google pay update on my ticwatch this morning but it disabled again after 30 mins or so. I'm with AIB and also have revolut setup with it. After the update installed I uninstalled pay enabler and set up Google pay with a shortcut that worked initially but eventually stopped again. So annoying!

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Edit just to say - there's a developer preview of Android P for the Huawei watch 2. It might solve or exasperate the problem, I haven't installed it yet. It might be something to consider if you're arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to
    load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Have you a separate sim for the watch?

coach22 wrote: »
    Have you a separate sim for the watch?

Yeah, I'd bought the 3uk 12 gb 12 month sim for travelling before and it works great for the watch as well

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Edit just to say - there's a developer preview of Android P for the Huawei watch 2. It might solve or exasperate the problem, I haven't installed it yet. It might be something to consider if you're arsed.

Looks like an update to speed it up is on the way....

https://9to5google.com/2018/07/25/google-wear-os-update-faster-google-pay/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, I'd bought the 3uk 12 gb 12 month sim for travelling before and it works great for the watch as well

Is your Google account or bank cards setup in UK or something? Maybe that's why you're able to use Pay with no issues?

• Advertisement

Google pay definitely still disabling on my watch in any case. Updated the app, still the same.

Advertisement