Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Al Porter Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Snowfire wrote:
    Maybe she's joking....

Female comedians are rarely funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

TheChizler wrote: »
    What are the actual reported allegations against him? Haven't seen any details, the times is behind a paywall. Slight hyperbole (only slight) but the general reaction seems to be pretty much "I don't like his comedy/persona so it must all be true".

https://twitter.com/IrishBrian420/status/931789191553404929

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ush1 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds his stand-up funny? :(

To me, 3 minutes of it is funny, then I’m conscious that there’s a bitter nasty malicious side to him that’s quite common amongst a lot of older, hard bitten, more cynical “queens” who can no longer conceal their loneliness and discontent .
    I think the truth is that Al really doesn’t like a lot of people and these “assaults” were not sexual advances badly managed, but actual physical attempts to physically hurt other men.
    I think he might have been fairly confident, and still might be, that if anyone actually complained or fought back he could twist it about to make himself a victim of homophobia.
    The current atmosphere here would support him in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I’m sorry I can’t take this serious. Some gay lad drops the hand on me and he gets dropped. Alleging sexual assault would be the last thing I’d do.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You hear stories of old couples talking about how they met, and so many times I hear the one
    '' he just would not take no for an answer'' How the guy would pursue the girl he wants and in time they'd date and fall in love.
    Today it's sexual harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

splinter65 wrote: »
    To me, 3 minutes of it is funny, then I’m conscious that there’s a bitter nasty malicious side to him that’s quite common amongst a lot of older, hard bitten, more cynical “queens” who can no longer conceal their loneliness and discontent .
    I think the truth is that Al really doesn’t like a lot of people and these “assaults” were not sexual advances badly managed, but actual physical attempts to physically hurt other men.
    I think he might have been fairly confident, and still might be, that if anyone actually complained or fought back he could twist it about to make himself a victim of homophobia.

To me your post comes across as homophobic and angry. I've never bothered much with Al Porter on TV or radio. If these allegations are true then he's a disgrace and it will be the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

You hear stories of old couples talking about how they met, and so many times I hear the one
    '' he just would not take no for an answer'' How the guy would pursue the girl he wants and in time they'd date and fall in love.
    Today it's sexual harassment.

think theres a difference between persistently asking a couple of times for a date or groping someone's genitals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Brego888 wrote: »

Pretty bad stuff and the same.louis ck never actually touched anyone and his career is in tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Something about the royal family and a bread bin.

Hiya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I’m sorry I can’t take this serious. Some gay lad drops the hand on me and he gets dropped. Alleging sexual assault would be the last thing I’d do.

I think you need to take the context of these situations into account, each time appears to have been in a comedy club environment and they've worked together. Id say they were more shocked it happened as oppposed to throwing a dig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Older? He's 24, you know , haha

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

When someone gropes you out of nowhere you're in shock for a moment and most people just freeze. Very easy to say you'd deck him or whatever but in reality it's over before your brain processes what happened. That's why so many get away with it.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think you need to take the context of these situations into account, each time appears to have been in a comedy club environment and they've worked together. Id say they were more shocked it happened as oppposed to throwing a dig.

Oh I’d be shocked too. But deal with it there and then. Or next time you see him. Why come out publicly as an assault victim? How does that deal with the conflict better?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

duffman13 wrote: »

Plus if you hit him it'd be "XX is a gay basher" and XX would have their career ended while Al milks the publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fair play to them men for having constraint and not knocking the ****e out of porter when he touched them

When someone gropes you out of nowhere you're in shock for a moment and most people just freeze. Very easy to say you'd deck him or whatever but in reality it's over before your brain processes what happened. That's why so many get away with it.

Man groping woman 100% I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Hiya!

:D

To me your post comes across as homophobic and angry. I've never bothered much with Al Porter on TV or radio. If these allegations are true then he's a disgrace and it will be the end of his career.

So your not really aware of the personality I’m referring to or the character that he portrays but because he’s gay and I’ve criticized him you’ve decided that I’m being homophobic (I’m not even remotely afraid of Al Porter) and that I’m angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh I’d be shocked too. But deal with it there and then. Or next time you see him. Why come out publicly as an assault victim? How does that deal with the conflict better?

How would you deal with it? You throw a punch at him you get done for assault, if you are trying to make a career in comedy and you are violent to an established name it's bye bye career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

You should be ashamed of yourself :D

Ah leave his mum alone

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Older? He's 24, you know , haha

Yes. The nasty side can be common amongst older performers and is unusual in people his age, that’s what I meant to say.
    I have a lot of experience in the performing arts.

eviltwin wrote: »
    How would you deal with it? You throw a punch at him you get done for assault, if you are trying to make a career in comedy and you are violent to an established name it's bye bye career.

Grab the Cnut by the throat and make him regret it. His word against mine. No scars. Look I’m not a hard man but I would defend myself if physically touched.

Grab the Cnut by the throat and make him regret it. His word against mine. No scars. Look I’m not a hard man but I would defend myself if physicallg touched.

Sindo headline “brave Al Porter tells Barry Egan how he coped with vile attempt to choke him to death in violent homophobic attack”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Well by coming out about it, it might prevent the individual doing it to other people and prevent any escalation in such behaviour in the future. I don't know how I'd react in a scenario like that, I'd probably be shocked and be very nervous of seeing the person again rather than punching them on another occasion.

Sindo headline “brave Al Porter tells Barry Egan how he coped with vile attempt to choke him to death in violent homophobic attack”.

I accept i don’t have a public reputation to protect.

But still.. “yeah I choked the ducker because he groped me.”

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

Unbelievable that that both social and traditional media so quiet on Ireland's sex scandal this morning - not a dicky bird on rte.ie. MORE UN-FNCKING-BELIEVABLE BIAS IN OUR MEDIA.

Ireland gets it's own sex scandal, with allegations far worse than some of the recent sh1t storms in the US (as someone referenced above - Louis CK who didn't lay a hand on anyone for example). It breaks late on Friday evening and it's not even trending on Twitter the next morning? All the big mouthed liberals on Twitter have literally disappeared overnight. Amazeballs :)

The Liberal sh1theads didn't think that one of their own would get caught in their nasty little trap when they were priming it a few weeks back.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Well by coming out about it, it might prevent the individual doing it to other people and prevent any escalation in such behaviour in the future. I don't know how I'd react in a scenario like that, I'd probably be shocked and be very nervous of seeing the person again rather than punching them on another occasion.

I suppose there is more that one way of dealing with each situation. God though I’d nearly kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^the silence is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Unbelievable that that both social and traditional media so quiet on Ireland's sex scandal this morning - not a dicky bird on rte.ie. MORE UN-FNCKING-BELIEVABLE BIAS IN OUR MEDIA.

Ireland gets it's own sex scandal, with allegations far worse than some of the recent sh1t storms in the US (as someone referenced above - Louis CK who didn't lay a hand on anyone for example). It breaks late on Friday evening and it's not even trending on Twitter the next morning? All the big mouthed liberals on Twitter have literally disappeared overnight. Amazeballs :)

The Liberal sh1theads didn't think that one of their own would get caught in their nasty little trap when they were priming it a few weeks back.

Its definitely not bias on the part of the national media. The only bias they are guilty of is only reporting on what people respond to. If the general public do come to care about this, which i agree with you that they probably wont due to him being gay, the media will report on it . They don't care about the story themselves either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

So your not really aware of the personality I’m referring to or the character that he portrays but because he’s gay and I’ve criticized him you’ve decided that I’m being homophobic (I’m not even remotely afraid of Al Porter) and that I’m angry.

"there’s a bitter nasty malicious side to him that’s quite common amongst a lot of older, hard bitten, more cynical “queens” who can no longer conceal their loneliness and discontent"

That bit came across as homophobic to me. It was nothing to do with you criticizing Al Porter and him being gay, more that it's common for "Queens" to be "bitter, nasty, malicious .....hardbitten, cynical"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement