Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"there’s a bitter nasty malicious side to him that’s quite common amongst a lot of older, hard bitten, more cynical “queens” who can no longer conceal their loneliness and discontent"

That bit came across as homophobic to me. It was nothing to do with you criticizing Al Porter and him being gay, more that it's common for "Queens" to be "bitter, nasty, malicious .....hardbitten, cynical"

Maybe that's what this posters lived experience has revealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Maybe that's what this posters lived experience has revealed

Regardless the comment was pretty irrelevant to the topic, thats why it came off as a needless dig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think you need to take the context of these situations into account, each time appears to have been in a comedy club environment and they've worked together. Id say they were more shocked it happened as oppposed to throwing a dig.

That's bollox, your first reaction would be to push someone away.
    A lad did this to my uncle before, your man got a slap straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It breaks late on Friday evening and it's not even trending on Twitter the next morning? All the big mouthed liberals on Twitter have literally disappeared overnight. Amazeballs :)

The Liberal sh1theads didn't think that one of their own would get caught in their nasty little trap when they were priming it a few weeks back.

It is trending on Twitter, just not as highly as it should be, given how many people seem to be talking about it. On my timeline (which consists predominantly of left-wing people, because all right-wingers are absolute trash), it's been the main topic of conversation since the story originally broke (on Twitter, incidentally) yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

I cannot wait for the Last Word on Monday for Coppers reaction. Very quick to castigate Hook about the wording of his question on personal responsibility (incorrectly imo), Trump's grabbing by the meow comment and the latest scandals with Weinstein and others. Will we see more of the holier then thou attitude from him on Monday, I would very much doubt it, but let's hope for some consistency.
    Dil probably wont respond, her 5 minutes are up and as for COD, don't get me started ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

omerin wrote: »
    I cannot wait for the Last Word on Monday for Coppers reaction. Very quick to castigate Hook about the wording of his question on personal responsibility (incorrectly imo), Trump's grabbing by the meow comment and the latest scandals with Weinstein and others. Will we see more of the holier then thou attitude from him on Monday, I would very much doubt it, but let's hope for some consistency.
    Dil probably wont respond, her 5 minutes are up and as for COD, don't get me started ....

I've literally seen the same people who had problems with Hook's remarks condemning Porter, myself included. Very much favour firing Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I suppose there is more that one way of dealing with each situation. God though I’d nearly kill him.

What would you do if Al Porter groped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

NEVer even heard of this nobody. Thought ye were talking about the pub landlord comedian lad at first, until I googled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fxotoole wrote: »
    NEVer even heard of this nobody. Thought ye were talking about the pub landlord comedian lad at first, until I googled it

Haha Al Murray be sent to Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If someone bigger and stronger than you wants to assault you, they will assault you. And people generally don't 'submit' to sexual assault, it's forced on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If a woman sexually assautls you, you wouldn’t beat the **** out of her though. Ironic that you don’t see the hypocrisy there.

Fight back and beating the sh!t out of someone are not the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

First Kevin Spacey. Then George Takei. Now Al Porter. Who’s next? Ian McKellen?

Al Porter didn't rape anyone. Pushing someone away who is being inappropriate is fine. Probably no need to beat them up unless they persist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

"there’s a bitter nasty malicious side to him that’s quite common amongst a lot of older, hard bitten, more cynical “queens” who can no longer conceal their loneliness and discontent"

That bit came across as homophobic to me. It was nothing to do with you criticizing Al Porter and him being gay, more that it's common for "Queens" to be "bitter, nasty, malicious .....hardbitten, cynical"

Yes. Lots of older gay men in the entertainment industry in particular get tired of constantly swimming against the tide and they get jaded and weary of the scene and often come across as catty and a bit vicious.
    This is hardly a newsflash.
    What else is getting really really wearying is this constant rushing to get offended on someone else’s behalf.
    “Quick. Splinter has made what appears to be a critiscm of gay people.i only have a feeling that she’s being critical but nonetheless I feel I must immediately correct her and tell her that she’s a homophobe”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

mad muffin wrote: »

Not Magneto! To be honest I'd still like him either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Oh I’d be shocked too. But deal with it there and then. Or next time you see him. Why come out publicly as an assault victim? How does that deal with the conflict better?

This sums it up.

There is one alleged victim who claims he told Porter "you sexually assaulted me twice"... em, sexual assault is a serious offence. If you did not report it the first time, why did you allow yourself to be in the position for it to happen a second time, and why were you again in his company (in a seemingly social environment) where you had this chat, to which Porter allegedly replied "Ssssh"?

These allegations are more about professional jealousy and - as with everything f*cking else these days - social media popularity than anything else, in my opinion.

There's a poster a couple of pages back who claimed these "assaults" could be "traumatic and life changing" for the victim. Give over, he got his c*ck grabbed - I'm sure he's not crying himself to sleep at night hoping 'the bad man' doesn't find him.

I don't like Porter's comedy, I'm not a big fan of his radio show and I haven't seen Blind Date. He, himself, seems like a truly annoying person and this behaviour is wholey unacceptable... BUT, if you're sexually assaulted, go to the police, please!

This chap is 24, he's obviously an a*sehole, but this will ruin him - and that's far too f*cking big a price to pay for basically being a f*ckin moron.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Not Magneto! To be honest I'd still like him either way

Michael Fassbender too?!:confused::eek:

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    This sums it up.

There is one alleged victim who claims he told Porter "you sexually assaulted me twice"... em, sexual assault is a serious offence. If you did not report it the first time, why did you allow yourself to be in the position for it to happen a second time, and why were you again in his company (in a seemingly social environment) where you had this chat, to which Porter allegedly replied "Ssssh"?

These allegations are more about professional jealousy and - as with everything f*cking else these days - social media popularity than anything else, in my opinion.

There's a poster a couple of pages back who claimed these "assaults" could be "traumatic and life changing" for the victim. Give over, he got his c*ck grabbed - I'm sure he's not crying himself to sleep at night hoping 'the bad man' doesn't find him.

I don't like Porter's comedy, I'm not a big fan of his radio show and I haven't seen Blind Date. He, himself, seems like a truly annoying person and this behaviour is wholey unacceptable... BUT, if you're sexually assaulted, go to the police, please!

This chap is 24, he's obviously an a*sehole, but this will ruin him - and that's far too f*cking big a price to pay for basically being a f*ckin moron.

How do you know these people haven't been to the gardai? Unfortunately it's one persons word against another's and the guards probably won't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

The law decides. ‘Beating the head off’ someone who is touching/groping (as youve suggested you’d use if it was a gay man) couldn’t be considered reasonable force. Pushing away/restraining (as you’ve suggested you would use if it was a woman) would be.
    The law could also consider your criminal act in the first scenario as a hate crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

RayM wrote: »
    It is trending on Twitter, just not as highly as it should be, given how many people seem to be talking about it. On my timeline (which consists predominantly of left-wing people, because all right-wingers are absolute trash), it's been the main topic of conversation since the story originally broke (on Twitter, incidentally) yesterday afternoon.

If it ain't in the top 19 it ain't trending as far as I'm concerned - like a song that doesn't get into the the Top 40 if you like.

I have both sides on my Twitter feed cos I like to hear the sh1te the lefties come out with. At any rate you can look up the Twitter accounts of the usual liberal mouthpieces and their saying nada.

If someone is trying to rape you and beating them up is the best protection them go for it.

But we are not talking about rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭trashcan

Mr.S wrote: »
    He'll most likely lose his radio gigs and shows, regardless if the allegations are true or not.

So, every cloud then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Louis Walsh.

Hopefully...

I don't believe in overkill. If someone tries to grope you pushing them off is usually enough. If it persists then do what you need to do. I'd say exactly the same thing to a woman.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Louis Walsh.

Hopefully...

Hohoe!!! Didn’t someone try and he squished them like a cockroach?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Well? I don’t know. Depends on the facts of your hypothetical case.

However, in you ‘beating the head off the gay man’, you’ve already shown your clear bias against the persons sexual orientation, and your admission that you would treat a straight assailant with less force, so yes, you could likely be charged with a hate crime.

Btw, what is it that you don’t get about overkill? Do you think Molly Martens and her father were right to beat the head off Jason Corbett?
    (Just to follow your lead of adding a strawman to the end of every post)

Honestly if a woman said a man slapped her ass or something and she said she would be the beat the **** out of them, as in actually injure him and continue attacking him after he had stopped any assault, then I doubt many people would even condone that
    And thats how your comment came across, that you would continue to beat up a guy who tried to assault you even after he stopped
    I think thats excessive . Punch him ,sure, I just don't see a reason to keep going with it. Violence to make him stop is fine imo, but just report it after. You could find yourself on the wrong end of the law if you continued to physically attack somebody after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Hohoe!!! Didn’t someone try and he squished them like a cockroach?

It was proven to be a false allegation and his accuser ended up in jail.

• Advertisement

No I think you're making it about sexuality when its not.
    If a man in a club felt a womans ass and she glassed him in the face or seriously injured him I think most people would think thats excessive and that she's a psycho. Even though what he did was bad , nothing more than a push or punch was needed and a report to the security staff or policeman about what he did if you feel its necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I can't believe anyone would make a statement like this about suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I can't believe anyone would make a statement like this about suicide.

Yeh thought that too, i'm not a fan but that's a step too far, another example of a dickhead behind a screen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like a lot of these allegations take with a pinch of salt.

We cannot try people through media. It makes an ass out of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

She would be convicted if her actions weren't proportional. If it was obvious that he was trying to force himself on her then of course it would be reasonable for her to beat him off and maybe give him a few slaps for good measure but if she kept beating him and he died or if all he did was put a hand on her knee and she beat him then she would and should face charges.

It's very fashionable at the moment to destroy any man who makes any mistake at all, like George Hook who misread public opinion and maybe deserved a dressing down. He didn't deserve to be destroyed. The liberals enjoy a good hanging though. Their position on most things is so indefensible that if they get a rival in the open they can't help but pull the trigger - saves having to debate the point with him later. And anything that saves a liberal from having to defend their point of view is a good thing. A bit like Pro Abortion liberals tearing down posters and intimidating hotel staff and the Oireachtas Committee on Abortion inviting mainly Pro Abortion speakers to address the Committee prior to the vote and afterwards inviting Pro Life speakers to try and lend an air of validity to the proceedings. God forbid they would have to listen to the Pro Life argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I'm not getting how some people seem to be saying that it was ''only'' a ''grope'', or they ''just'' had their c0ck grabbed. If a person put their hands down inside a woman's underwear and ''grabbed'' their genitalia or ....em...interacted with their bottom in some way, I think it would/should be viewed as quite a serious assault. No? If a woman did it to a man, a man to a woman, a woman to a woman, a man to a man, any permutation that has occurred without invitation...it's just not on, and it's significantly more than ''just a grope''. Of course it's not as bad as rape. But it is sexual assault.
    As for is rape worse than murder, obviously the fact that one is still alive afterwards is a great advantage and cause for hope, but I would imagine that in some cases of brutal attack, gang rape or child rape (for example) that the lifelong trauma effects on the person afterwards would make it in some ways equivalent to ''taking a life''.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Look let's all just be pleased he's hopefully off our screens and airwaves forever now. I'd let him grab me by the bollocks if I never had to see him again tbh.

Malayalam wrote: »
    I'm not getting how some people seem to be saying that it was ''only'' a ''grope'', or they ''just'' had their c0ck grabbed. If a person put their hands down inside a woman's underwear and ''grabbed'' their genitalia or ....em...interacted with their bottom in some way, I think it would/should be viewed as quite a serious assault. No? If a woman did it to a man, a man to a woman, a woman to a woman, a man to a man, any permutation that has occurred without invitation...it's just not on, and it's significantly more than ''just a grope''. Of course it's not as bad as rape. But it is sexual assault.
    As for is rape worse than murder, obviously the fact that one is still alive afterwards is a great advantage and cause for hope, but I would imagine that in some cases of brutal attack, gang rape or child rape (for example) that the lifelong trauma effects on the person afterwards would make it in some ways equivalent to ''taking a life''.
    I think its nearly too common to be considered serious sexual assault. Its really common at clubs for that to happen to women ,most of me female friends say it happens a lot and they just kind of dont care. Women on hen parties you'll see always slapping mens bums and pinching them, they usually seem to laugh it off
    When I go to gay clubs men slap each others asses a lot too. I just take it as a bit of a laugh..maybe Im very thick skinned but it doesn't really bother me. Its not like you have to get with them..and if they persist just say **** off and they will
    Just from how common it is and the fact that it doesn't seem to a affect people that much it doesn't seem like serious sexual assault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its nearly too common to be considered serious sexual assault. Its really common at clubs for that to happen to women ,most of me female friends say it happens a lot and they just kind of dont care. Women on hen parties you'll see always slapping mens bums and pinching them, they usually seem to laugh it off
    When I go to gay clubs men slap each others asses a lot too. I just take it as a bit of a laugh..maybe Im very thick skinned but it doesn't really bother me. Its not like you have to get with them..and if they persist just say **** off and they will
    Just from how common it is and the fact that it doesn't seem to a affect people that much it doesn't seem like serious sexual assault

I don't mean slapping bottoms, that's probably quite common and easy to shrug off. I don't go to night clubs but I am hoping that people don't actually casually insert their hands into strangers underwear and feel their privates. Maybe they do and I am just behind the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The lack of outrage just shows that if you want to do something to a person and fly under the radar make sure it's a white straight male you do it too. Otherwise you might look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There was a scene in a nightclub or bar on the dancefloor on the Living with Lucy series which I thought was a bit risque at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

WHIP IT! wrote: »

so you can get away with things if you are young. George Hook and Louis CK touched no one but got hounded out of work. Porter deserves the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Malayalam wrote: »
    I don't mean slapping bottoms, that's probably quite common and easy to shrug off. I don't go to night clubs but I am hoping that people don't actually casually insert their hands into strangers underwear and feel their privates. Maybe they do and I am just behind the times.

Happened to me in a nightclub and the girl dug her nails into me.wasn't even talking to her.took her hand off me and told a bouncer.she god throw out and looked disgusted that i had gotten her removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You cant be going around and putting your hand down people's trousers ffs. Am sure Porter laughed it off and said only some craic when pushed away. You know yourself.

Surprised he didn't get a punch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You cant be going around and putting your hand down people's trousers ffs. Am sure Porter laughed it off and said only some craic when pushed away. You know yourself.

Surprised he didn't get a punch for his it.

The above. Having a habit of sticking your hand inside somebodys jocks goes beyond "messing", regardless of genders, orientation or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The Times names him but the Indo rag has a piece about it but to scared to name him.
    But if was a WSM they would have it as the top headline

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimosterberg

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes. Lots of older gay men in the entertainment industry in particular get tired of constantly swimming against the tide and they get jaded and weary of the scene and often come across as catty and a bit vicious.
    This is hardly a newsflash.
    What else is getting really really wearying is this constant rushing to get offended on someone else’s behalf.
    “Quick. Splinter has made what appears to be a critiscm of gay people.i only have a feeling that she’s being critical but nonetheless I feel I must immediately correct her and tell her that she’s a homophobe”.

I don't know if you're a homophobe or not. I imagine your "Queens" comment as well as your sweeping generalisations may be offensive to plenty of people gay or straight. You seem to be an expert on the personalities of older gay men in the entertainment industry. I'll leave it there as I'm not bothered arguing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Porter does suffer for this, do you think it will make a lot of gay men turn down the campness levels a bit?

I always thought he was a bit Carry On type campness, and maybe what he was doing he thought was just being flirtatious and, well, gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

NIMAN wrote: »
    If Porter does suffer for this, do you think it will make a lot of gay men turn down the campness levels a bit?

I always thought he was a bit Carry On type campness, and maybe what he was doing he thought was just being flirtatious and, well, gay.

Campness =/= hand down the khaks. In my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was groped in a gay nightclub once. Mind you it was a sex club and I actually went there hoping to be groped so I really can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its nearly too common to be considered serious sexual assault.

The incidence of an event doesn't determine its criminality.
    Its really common at clubs for that to happen to women ,most of me female friends say it happens a lot and they just kind of dont care.

Do you mean women tell you they have their flaps rubbed in a club by any randomer and they're grand with that - or that you're making false analogies? Care to share what clubs they frequent?
    Women on hen parties you'll see always slapping mens bums and pinching them, they usually seem to laugh it off

No doubt they do, why wouldn't most of them... Wouldn't blame them if they took exception to it though.

I bet they're after more than 'a bit of a laugh' - am failing to see how that could be in any way funny, especially in the context of a gay bar.

Is grabbing a woman by the flaps a serious sexual assault?

What about getting a lad by the balls?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement