Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Al Porter Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I wouldn't wish this type of allegation on anyone. It sticks like glue regardless.
    But how can so many men behave like this a d why the he'll haven't people spoken up before. No one is that powerful. No job is so important that someone should stay silent and endure this crap.

In the small world of Irish comedy, Al Porter is was very powerful. I would imagine that his accusers might have been afraid that they'd be the only person speaking up and that he'd deny it or claim that it was just a bit of harmless fun, in keeping with his stage persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It seems like nowadays if there's anyone that is disliked by someone else, suddenly they make a claim of sexual harassment and it's bye bye to their career.

If it ever comes out that accusations that end up being false, those people should be pariahed as much as the people they are accusing. Guilty or innocent, it will destroy the life of the accused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

theres supposedly another scandal involving a straight male comedian too, anyone else hear about it?

Mod note:Folks, let's not go there. You are responsible for what you post and so is Boards for publishing it. To spare all of us the trouble, please confine yourself to commemorating on what has been published in reputable sources. Naming anyone like that WILL result in ban hammers being used!

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A combination of depression, having schizophrenic partners and engaging in wild sex with priests shall be his defense

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/al-porter-after-wild-sex-with-a-priest-i-realised-the-priesthood-was-not-for-me-1.2858328?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

After reading the Times article. Am I the only one wondering what sort of jeans this chap was wearing?? How on earth does someone get their whole hand down your buttoned-up, belted, presumably skinny jeans?? :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

splinter65 wrote: »
    Imagine watching your dream career melt away like that before your very eyes, literally.
    He was setting himself up to be the Twink of the next 40 years.
    And it’s all gone.
    In a puff of smoke.

Maybe someone should have told him to ....Zip up his mickey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Hopefully today fm will drop him and I won't keep having to change the channel anytime he's on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    After reading the Times article. Am I the only one wondering what sort of jeans this chap was wearing?? How on earth does someone get their whole hand down your buttoned-up, belted, presumably skinny jeans?? :-/

you sort of squish the belly and push down

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

surely he can't be the person in this article
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he-put-his-hand-down-my-pants-entertainer-in-sex-assault-storm-36331159.html

Some of the comments like:

Some of the incidents date back several years.

Yesterday, one of his alleged victims described the entertainer's behaviour as "one of the worst-kept secrets in the showbiz industry".

Ireland's a small place and he's a powerful person. There's a sense of people not wanting to lose out on work or suffer because of going up against him.

These would suggest someone who has been in the business a lot longer and is more 'powerful'.
    I wouldn't class Porter as being a powerful media figure.

I feel he might not suffer as much as some of others, as he'll claim thats his sthick, he's camp and plays it camp, it was only part of his act.
    If he does suffer a career-ending backlash, he didn't last long, he's only 24 isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

MadYaker wrote: »
    I honestly never knew so many men had a problem keeping their hands / mouths / whatever to themselves, it's not that fúcking difficult. This whole thing is depressing and I'm afraid it's going to start making me paranoid when I'm around women.

Yeh so many, out of the 3.5 billion of us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

its a promoter/booker , the name wouldnt be known to the general public

He’s a promoter for a well known venue. Out of respect for the mod warning I won’t say anymore.

I don’t really like to fuel rumors but I do know people that worked with him. There has been stuff said before and not all of it flattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

NIMAN wrote:

Reckon it is - some of the incidents / descriptions are identical to those featured in The Times this morning explicitly naming Al Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Tigger wrote: »
    you sort of squish the belly and push down

Hi Al :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Well he can’t pull a Spacey on it, he’s already come out as gay.

Hope the advertisers on Today FM follow boycott his radio show. It’s the only way these guys will learn.

So he should be punished because some bandwagon jumper makes an allegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

That's the Gaiety panto on the look out for a Dame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

There seems to be an awful lot of this sticking your sex stick where it's not wanted. Time to dial down the deviancy

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

batistuta9 wrote: »
    There's a female comedian saying she was raped

Maybe she's joking....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

RayM wrote: »
    In the small world of Irish comedy, Al Porter is was very powerful. I would imagine that his accusers might have been afraid that they'd be the only person speaking up and that he'd deny it or claim that it was just a bit of harmless fun, in keeping with his stage persona.

No he wasn't 'very powerful' and to say so, makes an equivalence between this case and cases where people truly were in fear for their careers.
    I don't particularly rate the guy but he did not have the power to make or break careers, he just didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I know a girl who went to the recording of Blind Date in the Helix in August and she said he was making jokes about big black cocks, to a black man, when the cameras weren't rolling. Not that this makes him guilty, but it should illustrate what kind of twat that he is, so wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Hopefully this will be the end of him, can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rikand wrote: »
    A combination of depression, having schizophrenic partners and engaging in wild sex with priests shall be his defense

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/al-porter-after-wild-sex-with-a-priest-i-realised-the-priesthood-was-not-for-me-1.2858328?mode=amp
    The waiter smiles and heads for the kitchen. “And that’s just some good old-fashioned flirting,” chuckles Porter, turning to me as though he’s been doing a demonstration. “I say that I’m a feminist because I make men feel how they made women feel for hundreds of years. That’s my aim as a feminist hero.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

NIMAN wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he-put-his-hand-down-my-pants-entertainer-in-sex-assault-storm-36331159.html

Some of the comments like:

Some of the incidents date back several years.

Yesterday, one of his alleged victims described the entertainer's behaviour as "one of the worst-kept secrets in the showbiz industry".

Ireland's a small place and he's a powerful person. There's a sense of people not wanting to lose out on work or suffer because of going up against him.

These would suggest someone who has been in the business a lot longer and is more 'powerful'.
    I wouldn't class Porter as being a powerful media figure.

I feel he might not suffer as much as some of others, as he'll claim thats his sthick, he's camp and plays it camp, it was only part of his act.
    If he does suffer a career-ending backlash, he didn't last long, he's only 24 isn't he?
    OOh err Matron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So he should be punished because some bandwagon jumper makes an allegation?

Is this a joke post? Is there sarcasm here that I am somehow missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Wonder will Amanda Brunker make a claim against him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Wonder will Amanda Brunker make a claim against him

Even Porter wouldn’t touch her flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I haven't read the article but he sounds a bit like Andy Dick. He will try it on with any bloke but never rapes them or anything. Just more a desperation thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'm also a little surprised by this, when I saw rumours of a powerful Irish entertainment personality, this isn't who I was expecting. I had to google him, never heard of him. As a 24 year old, how would he have been powerful enough to destroy careers years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Am I the only one who finds his stand-up funny? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Ush1 wrote: »
    I haven't read the article but he sounds a bit like Andy Dick. He will try it on with any bloke but never rapes them or anything. Just more a desperation thing.

Sexual assault is sexual assault and that can be traumatic and life changing as well.

The defense that 'he never rapes them or anything' is a bit sick to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ush1 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds his stand-up funny? :(

Yes, yes you are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement