Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

Got back to this tonight and beat Isshin for the Shura ending. Got the platinum trophy. Definitely worth the effort and the trophy I am most proud of. Had to git gud a good few times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Got back to this tonight and beat Isshin for the Shura ending. Got the platinum trophy. Definitely worth the effort and the trophy I am most proud of. Had to git gud a good few times!

Well done man. Might try for it meself though it's not something I normally bother with. Think I've one platinum and its a telltale game. Did you play to NG+3 or make a save at Owl choice then Isshin defeat and select the other options?

I really can't wait to play this again. Up to Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 (beat him with a riposte - so satisfying) in my From Software marathon. Bloodborne next then back to Sekiro. Haven't fought Owl (Father) yet. Nervous from what I've seen.

Well done man. Might try for it meself though it's not something I normally bother with. Think I've one platinum and its a telltale game. Did you play to NG+3 or make a save at Owl choice then Isshin defeat and select the other options?

I really can't wait to play this again. Up to Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 (beat him with a riposte - so satisfying) in my From Software marathon. Bloodborne next then back to Sekiro. Haven't fought Owl (Father) yet. Nervous from what I've seen.
    Made a save game at owl on ng+1, ended up fecking up the process for the purification ending so did the return ending instead. Carried on a ng+2 as far as owl and saved again! Bit of extra work but it really beefed up my attack power. The hardest thing was the grind to get enough xp for all the skills. That took a while and was very tedious. Upgraded all prosthetics and left the Shura ending until I had everything else done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There is a boss in that area that doesn’t appear unless you’ve done things in a certain order :)

Got that boss on the second go after. Had the attack patterns down perfectly after round one :pac:

Owl father is very tough, harder than isshin in some ways because of the extreme posture/damage he inflicts. But he has an attack pattern that can be exploited and once you get that down he will fall.

• Advertisement

I think I must have went a really odd way through the game.

I've played for quite a while now and it feels like I've visited most areas but I've only fought 5 main bosses.

Gyoubu,
    Lady Butterfly,
    Genichro,
    Folding Screen Monkeys,
    Guardian Ape,
    Guardian Ape Round 2.

Down in the village now and just fought O'Rin. That was a super fight and my deflecting needed to be on point.
    Really enjoying all the mini bosses. They're a nice challenge to break up the regular enemies.

Owl Father down. Got him after about 40 goes, had his attack patterns down to a tee after about 10 attempts but couldn't dodge the dam flame attack and was getting destroyed by it. Ended up swapping to Mist Raven and spamming LT when I saw him lining up to use it :)

Edit: Corrupted Monk down first go. Hammered her health down in the first stage, got a death blow from the tree after the black spammy stuff on the second stage and then parry and fircrackered her to death in the last :) easy peasy :pac:

And I'm on the last boss now. All mini bosses dead and all optional bosses done.

Had three goes at Sword Saint but had to head out. Will tackle him tomorrow now.

Really enjoyable game.

And it's all done now. Took a while on Issin but got really good at not needing to use a heal against Genichro or Issins first stage by just parrying so ended up with 10 heals for the last two rounds which made a huge difference.

My game of the year so far.

https://youtu.be/DI44jnq4hig

Ever wonder how Woody from Toy Story would do against Owl father? Well wonder no more :pac:

Decided to do NG+2 so I can fight Owl (Father) and get another ending (return). Gave back Kuro's charm for the laugh to see how much harder it would be and f**k me it's much much harder. Perfect deflects only otherwise you take damage. I actually did pretty well (surprisingly) until I got to Owl 1. Spent hours on him before getting the charm back from the sculptor. Beat him first time after that. Fresh new content for me now with Father's bell. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Where's the bloody expansion? Or announcement atleast

Where's the bloody expansion? Or announcement atleast

There isn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

There isn't any.

Thanks Miyazaki

So kicked the b******s out of the spearbearer mini boss. Casually walking to where Jozou should be and take out the three dudes boozing when three purple ninjas join in. Death. Figure out how to get them and head over to Jozou. How do you get the poison ninja here away from him? Whistle alerts both when locked on to poison dude. Stealth sugar doesn't work either.

On fourth attempt at Owl (Father) I got to second phase and half way through his vitality. Actually thought I was going to do it. Sweaty shakey hands, pounding heart so inevitably screwed up. Attempts 5-12 couldn't even get his HP/Posture by a third in phase 1. Can't seem to avoid the perilous sweep attack. Jumping on his head hasn't worked. Easiest attack to deal with in phase 2 is flame owl. Jump then mikiri. I'll get this.

On fourth attempt at Owl (Father) I got to second phase and half way through his vitality. Actually thought I was going to do it. Sweaty shakey hands, pounding heart so inevitably screwed up. Attempts 5-12 couldn't even get his HP/Posture by a third in phase 1. Can't seem to avoid the perilous sweep attack. Jumping on his head hasn't worked. Easiest attack to deal with in phase 2 is flame owl. Jump then mikiri. I'll get this.

Best thing about that fight is the look on his face as you mikiri counter him.

Best thing about that fight is the look on his face as you mikiri counter him.

Yep. Look of surprise on his face is great.

I was one deflect or mikiri counter from getting the finishing deathblow when he got me in a corner and firecrackered me to death. Frustrating.

Defeated Owl (Father). Such an adrenaline rush. Was in no way as insurmountable as I'd expected. Genichiro took me longer the first playthrough. There is one or two bullcrap features to the fight, namely the arena itself (or the camera) and the invisibility denying you a counter hit after a well timed dodge. Died a good few times frantically trying to adjust the camera to find Owl. Still one of the best fights in the game. The Mikiri counter has to be one of the most satisfying moves in gaming.

Tempted to try platinum but I need 35 Skill points to max out the trees and skill gained doesn't seem to increase in the NG+ cycles. Currently on NG+2 I received 18K points from defeating Father but one skill point costs 45K. Seems like it would take hours of grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Finally finished this last night.
    Took a hiatus last year due to not having time (parenting eating into my gaming time :pac: ) but got back into it as a stress reliever from the current covid panic.
    Started the game from the beginning so I could get used to parry timings again and last night beat the sword saint after a few nights of useless attempts.
    The final boss fight was actually not the hardest. I found Owl Father a lot harder to learn.
    Have started NG+ and will try for the Shura ending this time. Need a few more lapis lazuli to max out all my prosthetic weapons. Hopefully will continue on and get my Platinum.

I'm dreading going back to play a Dark Souls game now as I'm so used to the manic aggression of Sekiro. Dark Souls seems so static now. Maybe I'll try a new run-through on the Switch with no shield and I'll just try and parry everything!

To sum up, I loved the game, probably on par with Bloodborne in terms of enjoyment but I think the atmosphere and aesthetic of Bloodborne is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Finally finished this last night.
    Took a hiatus last year due to not having time (parenting eating into my gaming time :pac: ) but got back into it as a stress reliever from the current covid panic.
    Started the game from the beginning so I could get used to parry timings again and last night beat the sword saint after a few nights of useless attempts.
    The final boss fight was actually not the hardest. I found Owl Father a lot harder to learn.
    Have started NG+ and will try for the Shura ending this time. Need a few more lapis lazuli to max out all my prosthetic weapons. Hopefully will continue on and get my Platinum.

I'm dreading going back to play a Dark Souls game now as I'm so used to the manic aggression of Sekiro. Dark Souls seems so static now. Maybe I'll try a new run-through on the Switch with no shield and I'll just try and parry everything!

To sum up, I loved the game, probably on par with Bloodborne in terms of enjoyment but I think the atmosphere and aesthetic of Bloodborne is better.

Cracking game alright. The final Boss is tough but as is the case with From Games - Very rewarding to complete. I was definately done then though, no interest in another playthrough...

Bloodbourne is the king still - a masterpiece and my favourite game hands down.

Looking forward to Elden Ring now but we might be a while waiting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

How does this game compared to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty? Enjoyed Bloodborne but did find it difficult to the point that it took away from the enjoyment (unreal sense of accomplishment in passing it though). I’d be interested in playing Sekiro but I have a serious backlog of games so don’t think I’d have the patience if it’s as hard as Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Redo91 wrote: »
    How does this game compared to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty? Enjoyed Bloodborne but did find it difficult to the point that it took away from the enjoyment (unreal sense of accomplishment in passing it though). I’d be interested in playing Sekiro but I have a serious backlog of games so don’t think I’d have the patience if it’s as hard as Bloodborne.

Its well worth a try. The parrying aspect is the key to mastering this game. Once you patiently get that aspect, the game is well worth playing. I wouldnt say its harder than Bloodbourne, but great story and world...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Not sure how to compare them in terms of difficulty. From talking to people, it's always your first Souls type game that is the toughest. Once you get used to one game, it makes the next easier.
    There are certainly some very hard parts to Sekiro but nothing that's unfair. You always have the tools to beat a boss. You just need to be smart about it.
    And once you master the parry, each battle is so much more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found it the hardest of the from games. The party mechanic and bosses can be hard to figure.

However once you do it's a lot easier. It's weird but first playthrough was tough.... So tough I've not finished it. I need to give it a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

Thanks for the feedback. It will be another year or so at best before I get around to playing this (have GoW, Horzion: ZD and RD2 to play) but sounds like it’s worth a try. By the time I get around to it should be very cheap so won’t have much to lose by giving it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks for the feedback. It will be another year or so at best before I get around to playing this (have GoW, Horzion: ZD and RD2 to play) but sounds like it’s worth a try. By the time I get around to it should be very cheap so won’t have much to lose by giving it a go.

It's better than all those games you mentioned. Really should take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

I wanted to like this i really did but couldn't get into it. Loved Bloodborne and dark souls but something about this didnt stick with me. I must get back into it again i think i'm only at the drunken boss dude cant remember his name.

It's a different game to Dark Souls. And also very demanding. It takes a while for it to click.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The evolution of the combat across the from games has been great. Id have loved a dlc for Sekiro. Ive just finished Nioh 2 and gone back to the first one to do the DLC and whilst they are excellent games, I prefer Sekiro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was going to buy it when it dropped in price recently, but missed my chance. Don't really want to play full price for it but if it drops again I might pick it up.

Advertisement