Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 1.6 petrol or Civic 1.8 petrol

Options
  • 20-11-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

If you have to choose between Ford focus 1.6 or Civic 1.8 petrol
    Mostly for motorway driving, i do not want diesel as I am buying second hand and used diesels are dodgy.

I presume both of these are light and fast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Mostly for motorway driving, i do not want diesel as I am buying second hand and used diesel are dodgy.

Focus 1.6 isn't fast anyway. It's OK but defo not fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Focus mpg is better

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Focus mpg is better

Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Focus mpg is better

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

• Advertisement

You’ll easily get a 2007 for €1500. Paying €3500 extra on an 11 year old car to save €246 a year on tax is bonkers.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’ll easily get a 2007 for €1500. Paying €3500 extra on an 11 year old car to save €246 a year on tax is bonkers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2006-ses-1-8-vtec-5dr-nct-05-2020-/23542754

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2006-ses-1-8-vtec-5dr-nct-05-2020-/23542754

Try and aim for an ES or EX spec. They have nice extras.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try and aim for an ES or EX spec. They have nice extras.

ES or SE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Mostly for motorway driving, i do not want diesel as I am buying second hand and used diesels are dodgy.

Get the 1.8 civic, and in saloon if suits is nicer on the road as the rear suspension is independent the hatch is not.

I've had both 1.6 focus saloon and 1.8 civic saloon. Still have 07 civic as second car and it drives and starts lovely even after long days of non use. Saloon has nicer velur! trim etc.

• Advertisement

Focus mpg is better

Had both, no its not unless you utilise the vtec in the honda a lot :D

As said a good pre 2008 (say 2007) should be 2.5/3k. At that price of 5k you still would have 2k in additional tax payments available.

636eur per yr vs 390eur per yr = 246eur extra per yr.

2000/246 = 8 years before you make up the difference.

Buy a 2007 unless a 2008 is stupid cheap and look for a well looked after one instead of year.

The saloon ones are limited I can't find that many

What other cars I can look at, economical as the Honda Civic 1.8 vtec petrol.

Should I consider Toyota avensis 1.8 petrol & Mazda

This looks tidy and if you could haggle the seller down nearer 4k then I think it would be a good buy:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/23177376

bazz26 wrote: »
    This looks tidy and if you could haggle the seller down nearer 4k then I think it would be a good buy:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/23177376

Looks good

Looks good

Agree, if can get for 4k then its a good buy, the engine in them is very solid, economical (keep off the vtec - unless fun is warranted) and smooth. Very comfortable and reliable car.

That car has sunroof and 6 disc indash cd changer (have 2007 version)

I'd consider that car myself if we needed it. The tax of 570eur I'd check though as that may not be correct.

The tax is correct, the 1.8 saloon post 2007 were €570 on the newer system.

Also those engines don't have VTEC performance in the traditional sense, they were tuned for fuel economy.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The tax is correct, the 1.8 saloon post 2007 were €570 on the newer system.

Also those engines don't have VTEC performance in the traditional sense, they were tuned for fuel economy.

Grand, so the hatch is 390eur yes?

You're right about the vtec in the car as such. It doesn't kick in unless you really rev it but it is noticeable when it does. It only has a single overhead cam hence the economy but is a nicer engine than the 1.6 focus which has a twin cam.

"keep off the vtec - unless fun is warranted"

Sorry but I don't get what you mean? Do you activate it or something?

Do you mean put the Gear on 'R' for race mode?

"keep off the vtec - unless fun is warranted"

Sorry but I don't get what you mean? Do you activate it or something?

Do you mean put the Gear on 'R' for race mode?

Nope, when you rev the engine (i think its around 4500/5000 rpm - will check later) the cam in them has an action which allows the valves open differently allowing more air/fuel mixture etc. and kind of gives it a kick - its like kickdown in an auto powerwise.

Toyotas version is vvti. Its pretty standard now but the focus 1.6 didnt have it.

Nope, when you rev the engine (i think its around 4500/5000 rpm - will check later) the cam in them has an action which allows the valves open differently allowing more air/fuel mixture etc. and kind of gives it a kick - its like kickdown in an auto powerwise.

Toyotas version is vvti. Its pretty standard now but the focus 1.6 didnt have it.

Toyota vvti I did not know toyota have it aswell

Grand, so the hatch is 390eur yes?

You're right about the vtec in the car as such. It doesn't kick in unless you really rev it but it is noticeable when it does. It only has a single overhead cam hence the economy but is a nicer engine than the 1.6 focus which has a twin cam.

5 door hatchback is €390. The 3dr Type S hatchback was €570 too afaik.

Toyota vvti I did not know toyota have it aswell

It doesnt seem as pronounced in the toyotas I've driven. Normally never really need it in the 1.8 honda, but nice when going down the sliproad onto the motorway to shift it up to speed.

One other item, the 1.8 is as economical as the 1.4 in the hatch if driven normally, only uses more petrol when driven spirited.

the 1.8 is as economical as the 1.4 in the hatch if driven normally, only uses more petrol when driven spirited.

Sensei, are you referring to the Honda 1.4 petrol engine or toyota 1.4 VVT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Having owned both in hatchback form, and still driving the Civic, it's the Civic every day of the week. Super little car, never missed a beat. A little bit of poke and surprisingly good on juice. I love my yoke! Both 07.

• Advertisement

Having owned both in hatchback form, and still driving the Civic, it's the Civic every day of the week. Super little car, never missed a beat. A little bit of poke and surprisingly good on juice. I love my yoke! Both 07.

What engine?? Fuel??

Advertisement