Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 1.6 petrol or Civic 1.8 petrol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

FrankC21 wrote: »
    What engine?? Fuel??

1.6 Focus, 1.8 Civic. Both petrol. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ES or SE

SE is quite basic IMO.

Nope, when you rev the engine (i think its around 4500/5000 rpm - will check later) the cam in them has an action which allows the valves open differently allowing more air/fuel mixture etc. and kind of gives it a kick - its like kickdown in an auto powerwise.

Toyotas version is vvti. Its pretty standard now but the focus 1.6 didnt have it.

That doesn’t happen in the SOHC i-VTEC engines. The VTEC engages when the engine isn’t under load, it’s like the opposite of normal VTEC.

You are right when you say not drive the balls off it if you want good mpg though.

Having owned both in hatchback form, and still driving the Civic, it's the Civic every day of the week. Super little car, never missed a beat. A little bit of poke and surprisingly good on juice. I love my yoke! Both 07.

Same. I got one in 2012 and only sold it a few months ago. Most reliable car I ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That doesn’t happen in the SOHC i-VTEC engines. The VTEC engages when the engine isn’t under load, it’s like the opposite of normal VTEC.

You are right when you say not drive the balls off it if you want good mpg though.

Thanks just got schooled ðŸ˜, always assumed it was the other way around but assumed makes an ass of me and u 😂

• Advertisement

Sensei, are you referring to the Honda 1.4 petrol engine or toyota 1.4 VVT

Both Honda, the 1.4 is reliable but rough sounding and lacks power, the 1.8 is a fantastic petrol engine, would get again in a heartbeat

Same. I got one in 2012 and only sold it a few months ago. Most reliable car I ever owned.

Yep I loved both the focus saloon and civic saloon, but the civic is a nice place to be and as a petrol is reliable and smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Had a Honda Civic 1.8 2007 VTEC EX for 8 years... great car.
    Averaged around 6.1l per 100km in urban driving, good performance, great space, but back window visibility was a little limited with the split window.

But pre 2008 motor tax (engine size vs Co2 emissions) was painful at €673.
    Sold the executive version ( alloys, voice control, built in sat nav etc ) for €1900 last year, solid car with no issues.

Had a Honda Civic 1.8 2007 VTEC EX for 8 years... great car.
    Averaged around 6.1l per 100km in urban driving, good performance, great space, but back window visibility was a little limited with the split window.

But pre 2008 motor tax (engine size vs Co2 emissions) was painful at €673.

That’s why I preferred the saloon I’ve the hatch, visibility, I thought the interior was nicer and the independent rear suspension was better on rougher roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had one for a few months last year and thought it was great except for being a bit firm for a 5 door hatch. Great on petrol decent bit of poke. I'd defiantly have another one but only the saloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Thanks just got schooled ðŸ˜, always assumed it was the other way around but assumed makes an ass of me and u 😂

In the Type R is the other way round

U_Fig wrote: »
    In the Type R is the other way round

Just read up a bit on that 1.8 sohc, I originally never new its vtec was in reverse with the agressive cams always on but if you drive sedately the vtec switches on the economic cams so better fuel efficiency - that is seriously cool and kudos to the engineer who said "why don't we do vtec the other way around"

One thing unusual though is that the 1.8 does love to be revved and it frees up after 4500 rpms so I always thought that was the vtec working at that point.:D

What I think is even more amazing is:

It’s a SOHC and 16 valve at the same time.

The exhaust system runs behind the drivers side sill

The fuel tank is under the front seats

The heater matrix is behind the gear lever

The glovebox is a foot and a half deep and can hold a 6 pack

The rear seats fold into the area normally taken by the fuel tank

You can get 2 washing machines comfortably into the back

And then they just chickened out and went completely conventional with the current model.

And then they just chickened out and went completely conventional with the current model.

Thats the hatch, the saloon is just a comfortable smooth car (but its a nice place to be).

You forgot rocket ships as front door handles!

Thats the hatch, the saloon is just a comfortable smooth car (but its a nice place to be).

You forgot rocket ships as front door handles!

I just find the saloon a bit ‘meh’ - they’re a grand yoke for sure but it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Ref the doors - I thought they were something else!

I just find the saloon a bit ‘meh’ - they’re a grand yoke for sure but it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Ref the doors - I thought they were something else!

I know what you mean, its a nice saloon but a saloon. However the ride is much better, less crashy and has independant suspension on the back - and a spare wheel - hatch doesn't I also think the seats are more comfortable and interior looks better together than the mismatch dash in the hatch.

But I like both of them, the hatch can be got with 1/2 glass roof also as opposed to the saloon with just a sunroof.

I get the feeling you're an ex honda mechanic!

I get the feeling you're an ex honda mechanic!

Nah I just had one for ages.

Nah I just had one for ages.

Yep, ye need to like them as they seem to stay around for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Had been looking for a Civic daysul but took fright at stories of soft camshaft and dodgy injectors in the 1.6 engine. :(

Now looking at a 1.8 petrol

What issues should I look out for ?

Also, what sort of money should a clean 2007 5 door 1.8 civic EX with around 80k km go for in a private sale ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If you have to choose between Ford focus 1.6 or Civic 1.8 petrol
    Mostly for motorway driving, i do not want diesel as I am buying second hand and used diesels are dodgy.

I presume both of these are light and fast.
    The 1.6 Focus feels underpowered and is thirsty. Don’t discount the diesel version 1.8 Tddi which is durable and reliable.

0lddog wrote: »
    Had been looking for a Civic daysul but took fright at stories of soft camshaft and dodgy injectors in the 1.6 engine. :(

Now looking at a 1.8 petrol

What issues should I look out for ?

Also, what sort of money should a clean 2007 5 door 1.8 civic EX with around 80k km go for in a private sale ?

Around €2000

Around €2000

Thanks !

Not viewed it yet but expecting lots of V short trips will be the story.

Any steer on :

- What would be the hit if exhaust system needs replacing ?
    - Brake calipers prone to sticking ?
    - Timing belt/chain time interval to replace ?

Also any suggestions for a Honda VIN checker ? ( I have VIN from an NCT sheet however two random off the net VIN checkers say its invalid ! )

Thanks !

Any steer on :

Also any suggestions for a Honda VIN checker ? ( I have VIN from an NCT sheet however two random off the net VIN checkers say its invalid ! )

Lota questions :D, I can only speak from my experience of my car.

Some parts especially coolant needs to be hondas own but some are cheap (like the coolant) and some are expensive (replacement door seal!)

In general though not much goes wrong so parts are dear.

If I was to replace exhaust i would not get spurious (been there with the 1.6 petrol focus saloon). However hondas own exhaust for me at least has lasted very well.

Dont know about brake calipers sticking - havent seen it.

1.8 is timing chain and should last life of car if oil maintenace etc is done.

.....If I was to replace exhaust i would not get spurious (been there with the 1.6 petrol focus saloon). However hondas own exhaust for me at least has lasted very well......

Great that you found it lasted......I'm just mentally extrapolating what 12 odd years of short trips might do :(
    .....1.8 is timing chain and should last life of car if oil maintenace etc is done.

Thats good news :)

Thanks !

Thanks !

Any steer on :

Very unlikely that you’d have to replace the exhaust. Callipers aren’t known for sticking more than usual. Brake parts aren’t cheap. I had a sticky caliper and it just needed cleaning, that was 6 years ago.

Advertisement