Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I reckon wel see more WH and AA on the market in the next couple of years as lads will have expanded, manage fertility better and sex semen will become more prevalent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I reckon wel see more WH and AA on the market in the next couple of years as lads will have expanded, manage fertility better and sex semen will become more prevalent

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

80 euro fr bull calves out of yard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

biddy2013 wrote: »
    80 euro fr bull calves out of yard

You done well I paid 75 euro dropped in the yard this week

dzer2 wrote: »
    You done well I paid 75 euro dropped in the yard this week
    he said 80 was the max he could pay, expect more next week as i have a couple of monsters of calves, might bring them to mart if i am not happy with what he is giving me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH was in Carrigallen today. There were more dairy calves than last week, 50 more or so. Prices were back from last week on the earlier lots but picked up as the sale went on. There did not seem to be much activity for export calves, possibly due to the current uncertainty at moment.
    Early lots of good Fr bull calves were selling for €55 to €65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Base price wrote: »
    OH was in Carrigallen today. There were more dairy calves than last week, 50 more or so. Prices were back from last week on the earlier lots but picked up as the sale went on. There did not seem to be much activity for export calves, possibly due to the current uncertainty at moment.
    Early lots of good Fr bull calves were selling for €55 to €65.

Where is carrigallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

fr bulls in Ballinasloe yesterday 50-80 euro.I had 2 that were 10 days old and got no bid for them. they want fr bulls at least a month old. AA bull 210 euro. AA heifer 150. jex bull,month old(good shape) 120euro.BB bull 350.

who are "they" farmers or shippers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

delaval wrote: »
    Where is carrigallen?

Leitrim

• Advertisement

td5man wrote: »
    Leitrim
    kovu country- maybe i should delete that as its off topic:D

biddy2013 wrote: »
    who are "they" farmers or shippers

either it seems.shippers definitely want them strong

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

PMU wrote: »
    fr bulls in Ballinasloe yesterday 50-80 euro.I had 2 that were 10 days old and got no bid for them. they want fr bulls at least a month old. AA bull 210 euro. AA heifer 150. jex bull,month old(good shape) 120euro.BB bull 350.

What age were the AA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Anyone see Lim or Char calves sold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

red bull wrote: »
    Anyone see Lim or Char calves sold ?

over 2 or 3 weeks of age 400 to 500 average. some even more thats in carigallen wasnt in it the last few weeks but they make them prices there

dropped 8 fr bulls into the mart this morning, fingers crossed im not bringing an home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

kevthegaff wrote: »
    dropped 8 fr bulls into the mart this morning, fingers crossed im not bringing an home

If you were to listen to some you'd be hoping not to get a bill!!

It's amazing how the calf men talk down prices yet when the factory does it they claim they're being taken for a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

6 fr bulls 14 days nice calves 60 e in yard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

limo_100 wrote: »
    over 2 or 3 weeks of age 400 to 500 average. some even more thats in carigallen wasnt in it the last few weeks but they make them prices there
    milkprofit wrote: »
    6 fr bulls 14 days nice calves 60 e in yard

I prefer the fresians bulls rather than the continentals

sold them anwa 10 days old 35 45 75 85 in bunches of two

• Advertisement

was that nenagh Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

PMU wrote: »
    was that nenagh Kev

nenagh to morrow

think thurles is to day

thurles have a good website btw other marts could learn a little from it

thurles, the lads there seem alot sounder and helpful unloading the calves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

There sound in Thurles alright,

The website is www.midtippmart.com it's gives a full report.

Any charlies in it Kev?

i didnt even walk in the door, the boys brought them in.sold them over the phone as i was up the walls. they rang me the minute they went through the ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

seen a clip of tomorrows farming indo that bull calves are going for as little as 2 euro. Im guessing these must be jex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

seen a clip of tomorrows farming indo that bull calves are going for as little as 2 euro. Im guessing these must be jex

That was the case last year, was in cashel mart one Saturday and seen loads of jex calves €2-€15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Even if they were free you'd wonder why anyone would bring them home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Even if they were free you'd wonder why anyone would bring them home

I prefer to buy them at 0-20 euro rather than Continentals from dairy stock at 400 a pop. Biggest issue is are we heading to a siyutation where these will be treated as bobby calves, or where they will be send for slaughter at birth.

I put up a thread a few weeks ago about this and at the time calves were making 100 more than now. Some farmers could not see this coming down the road. It is just like Suckler farmers failing to see the trickle down effect of lighter carcass weights and if there is no market for bull beef.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057127418

Farmers will be reluctant to do it but is it now time to send JEX and extreme Holstein straight for slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Bought 13, 6 week old good freisian bull calves 130 euro left in yard

Advertisement