Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Beef value

Options
  • 18-01-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

Now that bull beef is gone will dairy farmers have to re-evaluate bull selection. In my opinion now extreme holstein bulls and jersey crosses will be worthless. Before I was of the opinion that dairy farmers should ignore value of bull. However we could reach the situation in the next year or two that some bull calves will have a negative value(disposal costs) as opposed to other dairy bred calves being worth a few bob.

We have seen the way marts have reacted to Board Bia/AA/He schemes/bonus by displaying relevant information. In a year or two will demand force them to display maternal and other breeding information of suck calves. Could this lead to an average beef value of 100+ of a difference between having a calf that need to be disposed as opposed to better quality calves. Add to maybe an extra cull value that may average 20/year for a cow. If this was the difference excluding costs would it mark a change in Dairy farming thinking.

On a 6500L cow if this might be equivlent to 1.8c/L after cost would it change the perception of ignoring beef value of calves. In larger herds the costs involved in calf rearing may not make it a viable alternative but what about smaller dairy herds who may consider that the payment is worth the required labour effort.

After this year I believe that a Jersey cross weanling is now worthless and it is only after he is carried for the first winter that his value enters positive terms. With QA only being paid on cattle capable of being finished at less than 30 months and on O= or better cattle this rules out 50% of present Friesian cattle. If maternal information is displayed on mart board this will also effect value of beef breed dairy calves. The perception out there by a lot of finishers is that ''the store is too dear as the quality is droping''

Traditionally I would have believed that a dairy farmers should ignore beef value of calves however now I am not sure. I am not advacoting the thinking that dairy farmers have a responsbility to beef farmers rather that over the next few years beef farmers will radically rethink calf value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Only a matter of time before Beef Value is displayed in marts and the sooner the better. See the attached presentation from ICBF website relating to a Teagasc presentation on 1 star versus 5 star animals - difference of EUR413 in sale price
    http://www.icbf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Beef-Seminar-Naas-2013-C-Watson.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

if the shipping trade can return a decent price for Fr calves as it is presently doing you need not worry Pudsey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

if the shipping trade can return a decent price for Fr calves as it is presently doing you need not worry Pudsey

The boat will be happy to take them
    They always set the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I agree with this. Think the pspers had a stat in 2010 we exported 150000 calves 2012 number was 50000 thats 100000 more beef cattle in the country. No wonder the bull trade is shot. This situation is due to ridiculous prices for calves that were paid during quota problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

i wonder about the "cute hoors" who imported the romanian calves ... anyone beating a path to their door to kill their bulls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

IMO most of the dairy bull calves are bought direct ex the farm and don't make it to the marts around our area anyway. Some of the smaller dairy operators will bring them to marts but the larger ones just want the lorry to come in once a week to collect them. I presume that this trend will continue.
    Also most progressive dairy farmers will continue to push for milk yield and probably selling extra high yielding heifers especially when the quotas are gone.

i wonder about the "cute hoors" who imported the romanian calves ... anyone beating a path to their door to kill their bulls?

I know where there is a super bunch of heifer immigrants for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I know where there is a super bunch of heifer immigrants for sale.

So do I and they are in calf to a limo bull too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Around here it was the factory s that were the cute hoors doing the import ing

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

a bit off topic, at a MSN information night last may a vet from Cork called Cashman reckoned it was with Romania calves that smollenburg came in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

a bit off topic, at a MSN information night last may a vet from Cork called Cashman reckoned it was with Romania calves that smollenburg came in here

This is nothing new it was the importing of heifer calves by dairy farmers in general that bought in BVD and Johannes disease 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

This is nothing new it was the importing of heifer calves by dairy farmers in general that bought in BVD and Johannes disease 10 years ago.

It was mainly springers Pudsey and I don't want to frighten you but it was more like 20 years ago than 10. Mainly Dutch girls at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It was mainly springers Pudsey and I don't want to frighten you but it was more like 20 years ago than 10. Mainly Dutch girls at the time.

sorry you are right but know a lad that imported some from Denmark about 10-12 years ago they were Jeseys believe it or not. There has been on and off importing of dairy stock and suckler stock over the last 30 years and you wonder how much disease has been bought in with it. The EU is trying to force us to abandon all controls on imported pets how long before we have a rabies outbreak. Look at the disease we have got in forrestry lately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Around here it was isthe factory s that were the cute hoors doing the import ing

Fixed that for ya....

Heard recently of a load of Polish beef that was followed from the port to a certain abp factory near here, I presume it was boned out and who knows what sort of a label put on it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

blue5000 wrote: »

Fixed that for ya....

Heard recently of a load of Polish beef that was followed from the port to a certain abp factory near here, I presume it was boned out and who knows what sort of a label put on it.

I would often be thinking the same thing when I'd be at the factory with my lambs and maybe 500 northern lambs on the corner waiting to be killed

blue5000 wrote: »

who ever followed a truck all the way from Poland is sure dedicated to the cause

Advertisement