Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

young people in ireland

• 16-10-2001 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

disclaimer: please no spammage :)

are they at all interested in current events or anything other then chart music, celebrities, gossip, fashion and trends? its like 80's all over again(except for the good things) and everyone gets put into categories depending their intellectual status, their music choice, the clothes they wear, the people they meet etc.

the reason im asking this question is because of the events happening in the world at the moment, majority of young people in ireland still do what the trends point to. most work their ass off during the week/ go to school or college and then waste it all for the weekend where they get completely drunk / wasted / drugged / insane only to repeat it the next weekend. its always the same. if you want proof, have a walk through Dublin city at around 2am or 3am and witness ireland's brightest and future citizens.

i know there is a minority of young people in ireland that doesnt give a fcuk about the things stated above and follow their own path. good for you. but for the rest, its like living a groundhog day and not even knowing it. who is to blame for the state of irish young people today and is there a way to remedy this situation before things get a little bit worse?

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

hehe ture :D. ever time go out of lanfest in the middel of the night theres some sort of fight going on or sometimes theres a pack of assholes sitting on a shop window edge next to lanfest calling me fag or gay ever time i go pass them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by adnans
    most work their ass off during the week/ go to school or college and then waste it all for the weekend where they get completely drunk / wasted / drugged / insane only to repeat it the next weekend. its always the same.

because its fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Dustaz

because its fun?

No, Sex is more fun than the above and also the occasional lan game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Well being a young person I often find my peers only wanting to get either to get wasted or to gain more power within their group of friends by buying/doing trendy (capitalist) things. They don't give a dam about the world around them and I blame Capitalism and its evil affect on young people. It affects them so much more then adults because they are not educated on it. When I try to explain how they are being manipulated etc. They just ignore me.

Their is however a small amount of nice young people who are 'nice' and in my eyes deserve to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

I have the feeling Adnans that u are one of the young people who doesn’t give a fcuk about the things stated above and follow your own path!

You will have to be a bit more age specific, from what I know you are quite young yourself ! I could be wrong though!

What age group are we talking about here ? 14-20 ? or higher/lower ?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Adnan you do the same yourself, work/college...than weekend and get wasted.... fair enough none of the pop/trendy chart music crap, but clothes wise you buy decent labels, as do I.... so you are in effect referring to yourself as well... I do what I want to do, but that involves exactly what you've described above!! So I don't get it really. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I used be like this years ago, working all week to make money to go out on the weekends. Great fun! :)
    Why shouldn't young people go out and spend their money? They'll all settle down eventually, and if they grow up to be 30 year old "eternal students" partying every weekend with 18 year olds... well, then that's their problem, screw em.

I know it's sad to see people who spend their lives sitting on a wall making comments at everything that passes but it's their choice, if they really wanted to do something they could.

Besides what about the other half million people who aren't out on a Sat. night?
    Typicial Dublin attitude, Dublin == All of Ireland
    :p (j/k btw)

Their is however a small amount of nice young people who are 'nice' and in my eyes deserve to live.
    Says it all about you Digi doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    I blame Capitalism and its evil affect on young people.

Funny, I blame the pathetic obsession with excess alcohol. Communism would allow everybody to get completely ripped without financial worries of affording clubs, taxis, drinks leaving an even more (is this possible?) antisocial enviroment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

seems to me that the capitalism/communism argument doesn't belong here and you, Digi_Tilmitt, were "silly" (putting it mildly) to make use of it...

adnans, it's easy to get disillusioned about young people in Ireland today... especially, it seems, when you hit the age of - say - 25 and don't consider that you yourself are "young" any more, but consider that people a mere 7 or 8 years younger than you ARE.

--

Regardless, I think you have a somewhat valid point. For many, their own microcosmic little lives of pop culture, drink/drugs, fashion, etc. swamp everything else and blinker them to what others see as "the real world". Still... if it keeps them happy...

--

As the Simple Minds song says: "Every generation ... blames the one before"

hummm... maybe that *should* be "every generation thinks the one after it is going to hell in a handcart..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

true, but im not coming down hard on your typical person who likes to have a few drinks and a smoke on the two non working days that we all get. its a great laugh. :)

what bugs me is the direction in which most irish young people are facing whilst living here. ie. go to school, get a job, earn money and get rich quick isnt much of a goal in life imo. there is nothing wrong with that i hear ya say. of course there isnt. the only way to improve yourself is through going to school, getting a job and trying to better yourself. right? majority of irish young people see this as the only survival technique in the world if you want to live a long and rewarding life. what happened to trying to better yourself in arts, music, science etc.? how can you develop your brain by watching repeats of friends almost every night then texting your own friends to tell them that tonight episode of friends was better then the last one? i know its funny but it gets confusing, doesnt it :) in general what is irish society gonna be like in twenty years time when we are going to be the lot that influences all things important in ireland. is it gonna get better or worse?

loon, you know the story already. neither of us is influenced by the mainstream crap only to fall over our knees in order to have it or wear it. since i know you very well, im aware of what you really want to do in life and you are very close to getting it, meaning that you dont go around headless wondering whats in store for you next weekend and the one after that.
    What age group are we talking about here ? 14-20 ? or higher/lower ?
    im 21 myself but im thinking about the ages 18 - 26. and Digi_Tillmit, dont blame your problems on capitalism and running around boards like some kind of a 22nd century preacher. fair enuff, there are specific problems which could point as a direct result of capitalism. you know it, we know it, but are you doing anything about it cause you are hurting everyone's head in boards by your doomsday gospels and the evil ways of capitalism.

adnans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭goose

are you wise?

what else is there to do on a sat night?
    sit in and play quake all night? :o

Whatever about Communism but Capitalism has a huge affect on young peoples lives. They all try to buy the latest trendy product in an attempt to better each other. They are so blind to how they are being manipualted. The companies take full advantage of young peoples 'trendyness.' It may sound silly but I have had many experiences of it.

I must apologise if I implied anything about Communism as I rant enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I aint gonna pretend to know the place for some of thies kids(I am 16,Though I dont consider myself a "kid").The fact is,they've got no place to go/nothing to do other then get bombed with drugs/alcohol.Its all part of thier everyday life.I am happy with a computer,thier happy with a can of cider.Allways been people like that.Just let their remarks slide,remember,thier closer to monkeys then you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I aint gonna pretend to know the place for some of thies kids(I am 16,Though I dont consider myself a "kid").The fact is,they've got no place to go/nothing to do other then get bombed with drugs/alcohol.Its all part of thier everyday life.I am happy with a computer,thier happy with a can of cider.Allways been people like that.Just let their remarks slide,remember,thier closer to monkeys then you

[IMG]http://solarshadow.com/hellmo copy.jpg[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Yeah, young people these days are getting increasingly fat and stupid. I am one of the cwazy off-beat guys, I don't give a **** about anything, I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs, I don't work at anything, but still cruise through everything, I listen to metal, and I wash mahself with ah rag on ah stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Sharkey

Well being a young person I often find my peers only wanting to get either to get wasted or to gain more power within their group of friends by buying/doing trendy (capitalist) things.

I'm not trying to ride your case here, but what exactly do you mean. I understand the getting wasted thing, but give me a few examples of "trendy" things that give rise to power within a particular group of friends.

They don't give a dam about the world around them and I blame Capitalism and its evil affect on young people. It affects them so much more then adults because they are not educated on it. When I try to explain how they are being manipulated etc. They just ignore me.

Certainly such evils as buying things, such as CDs, good food, nice clothing, etc. ... and otherwise enjoying life may get in the way of one's civic responsibilities. However, in your opinion, what should young people be allowed to purchase and how should their time be regulated?

Deserve to live? Hmmmm! Now this makes sense. In your view of the world, those who earn a living and buy name product stuff with their earnings may forfeit their right to live.

I guess those Versace jeans consumers should be executed on the spot, of course, but what about the DKNY jeans crowd? They're paying extra for that name-brand, but not a heck of a lot more ... not enough to forfeit their right to consume and emit greenhouse gases in the atmosphere!! Should we execute them or simply remove them of their designer jeans and force a bit of righteous community service on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by adnans
    what happened to trying to better yourself in arts, music, science etc.? how can you develop your brain by watching repeats of friends almost every night then texting your own friends to tell them that tonight episode of friends was better then the last one? i know its funny but it gets confusing, doesnt it :) in general what is irish society gonna be like in twenty years time when we are going to be the lot that influences all things important in ireland. is it gonna get better or worse?

I read a good article in PC Pro some months back by one of the older guys that frequently rants (Y'know those articles at the start(ish) of the magazine).

Anyway, he had observed that there was this "dumming down" in society, where it was cool to have all the latest hi-tech stuff, from (then) DVD to WAP phones, MiniDisc, etc, etc. BUT it was uncool to be 'smart', or to develop this stuff.

Well, I have to say, I've kinda done a p*ss-poor rehash of the article here, but it made for some good reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, someone I know had a theory that we are going the way of the Roman Empire, e.g. overly materialistic and we will be overrun by the Islamic world :)

You misunderstand me

Trendy things are buying Coke, Nike, Littering and insulting those less fortunate than you. If you do these things you will become more powerful wothin your own group of uneducated friends. It's silly but that is how the chain of Command works.

Its when they buy Coke, Nike and Mcdonalds that they are being a bit bad. They can buy food and non-top brand clothes, but when they are used to fuel massive Monopolies that huge Corperations have, that is Manipulation.

When I say to deserve to life I mean that there is a small amount of very nice young people who aren't always trying to opress each other. If the bad young people dissapeared we wpuld soon have a Utopianish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Looks like i'm alright so, cause i drink diet coke :)

I know it been said before, but every generation thinks the 1 after it is terrrible. Oh they listen to crap, they dress horribly, etc etc. they have no respect.

Rarely is it taken into consideration, that growing up today woul be harder than it was for me. (I'm not that old either)

Nor that the world is in worse condition that when we received it, i.e.dependance on dwindling fossil fuels, global warming, pollution etc.

Good luck to the young people of today, you'll need it.

X

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You misunderstand me

Trendy things are buying Coke, Nike, Littering and insulting those less fortunate than you. If you do these things you will become more powerful wothin your own group of uneducated friends. It's silly but that is how the chain of Command works.

Right, I wear a lot of branded goods - Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Adidas etc. Fact of the matter is, I wear and buy it because 1) it looks good and 2) more importantly - it is better!
    Ever hear the expression "You get what you pay for"??? I've worn cheap clothes and they fall apart. Quality clothing doesn't. I used to run my family sports shop and we were merchants for all this capitalism filth and 5 years down the line, I'm still wearing clothes I got from that shop because the quality is unbeatable!

So shut up you muppet. :p:p:p

Back on topic:
    I'm 23.
    Lots of my mates "live for the weekend" and to a certain extent, I do too. I make the most of the 2 days off and if that involves going out and getting smashed some of the time, so be it!

Make the most of it man - while you've got the energy and desire (and money) to go mad, then do so! You might regret not having got it out of your system while you could've made the most of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

what are u on about getting smashed tch tch tch

last time i saw u, u woz wearing de best o'dunnes stores cheapies, and i even out-drank you :-P

lol

hows the form kharn m8 good to see ya heh

Wyv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You misunderstand me

Guess what? I drink coke because I LIKE THE FOOKING TASTE OF IT, not because it is "trendy". I don't see how littering or insulting people would make you more popular. If this is how your friends act, you need to get some new fúcking friends.

Its when they buy Coke, Nike and Mcdonalds that they are being a bit bad. They can buy food and non-top brand clothes, but when they are used to fuel massive Monopolies that huge Corperations have, that is Manipulation.
    Its business. I don't HAVE to buy the products these massive global corporations are selling. I prefer the food from my local chipper to the shíte they serve in McD's. I have a mixture of branded and cheapo clothes. I like to drink Coke. What does this make me? Some kind of bastard half-capitalist-drone, half-communist preaching gimp?

When I say to deserve to life I mean that there is a small amount of very nice young people who aren't always trying to opress each other. If the bad young people dissapeared we wpuld soon have a Utopianish society.

You can't use that bullsh1t to justify killing these people. Sure there are plenty of nasty/evil people out there but you can't just go around killing them because they don't fit into your world view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Kharn

Right, I wear a lot of branded goods - Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Adidas etc. Fact of the matter is, I wear and buy it because 1) it looks good and 2) more importantly - it is better!

Ever hear the expression "You get what you pay for"??? I've worn cheap clothes and they fall apart. Quality clothing doesn't. I used to run my family sports shop and we were merchants for all this capitalism filth and 5 years down the line, I'm still wearing clothes I got from that shop because the quality is unbeatable!

Erm .. not necessarily so. On the topic of designer gear lasting longer, I've heard the stories of my sister(s) and their friends buying designer footwear from these fashion shops only to have them fall apart 6 months later - after paying triple figure sums for shoes that don't even look like they should be a quarter of that price!

On the otehr hand, I bought a pair of German para, ex-army boots for £27 6 years ago almost (Yes ... 6), and I still have them, and wear them. Certainly not a case of dearer is better.

Originally posted by Kharn

So shut up you muppet. :p:p:p

Quality made from the hands of slave child labour, you muppet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Im 17 doing my Leavin Cert and I don't follow anybody's lead

I don't waste a **** load on fancy clothes but i do like to drink but not because it's something my friends do but because it's great fun to get ****faced and stagger around making a tit out of myself.(precious memories) well that is whemever the bastard bouncers let me in.

This **** about expensive = better clothes is ****. You can get a good £20 shirt that will last as long as the same thing with a name sowed on for £80

Yes some of friends fit in the category of being sheep and most people in my school are complete arsetits but there is a lot of young people who have views and don't follow the crowd.

All i can say is bring on UCD next year and freedom sweet beautiful freedom

You misunderstand me

Well, trading quips and insults is hardly trendy. Littering is hardly capitalistic...just ill-manners. Like a gazillion people, I buy Coke (not Pepsi) because I like the taste - hardly trendy...and a muppet dressed in Nikes is still a muppet.

Some would call it buying a brand based in part by the quality of the Mark. People generally know how Coke and Mikky-Ds will taste and assume Nike is a quality brand. Sure they might pay less for off-brand items, but then they take a risk of getting crappy food and clothes.

Never known nice people to be exclusive of capitalists

Originally posted by Bloody Drunkard
    Im 17 doing my Leavin Cert and I don't follow anybody's lead

I don't waste a **** load on fancy clothes but i do like to drink but not because it's something my friends do but because it's great fun to get ****faced and stagger around making a tit out of myself.(precious memories) well that is whemever the bastard bouncers let me in.

This **** about expensive = better clothes is ****. You can get a good £20 shirt that will last as long as the same thing with a name sowed on for £80

Yes some of friends fit in the category of being sheep and most people in my school are complete arsetits but there is a lot of young people who have views and don't follow the crowd.

All i can say is bring on UCD next year and freedom sweet beautiful freedom

I agree with what your saying. Most people are Sheep but a few good young people exist.

People don't really buy coke because they think its nice. Well on the outside they might think and say that 'I drink Coke because I enjoy the taste.' but at the back of most people's heads is that if they don't drink this they willl recieve no respect from their friends. Most young people don't have 'real' friends, just things to compete with for respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

People don't really buy coke because they think its nice. Well on the outside they might think and say that 'I drink Coke because I enjoy the taste.' but at the back of most people's heads is that if they don't drink this they willl recieve no respect from their friends. Most young people don't have 'real' friends, just things to compete with for respect.

How do you know that mate?
    I used to drink Coke because it tastes lovely - it really does! Have you ever compared it to "Own Brand" cola - they can't compare!
    (I don't drink it any more cause I'm trying to get a bit healthier so I drink water instead).

Re: stuff lasting longer - I'm only speaking from experience. As I said, I'm still wearing branded clothes that I got 5 years ago.
    What I'm wearing today:
    Ocean Pacific fleece hoodie. Cost: £60-£70 Age: 5 years. Status: almost perfect.
    Ralph Lauren Chaps Polo Shirt. Cost: £30ish. Age: 3 years. Status: almost perfect.
    Dunnes Stores slacks. Cost: £15. Age: 6 months. Status: not great.
    Cat shoes. Cost: £60. Age: 4 months. Status: perfect.

Now, if others have issues with branded goods, fine. I don't
    There are plenty of muppets that think they need to wear the stuff to look good, I don't. It's mainly a younger persons thing (pre-adult I mean), but some fools carry it on throughout all their life and fools are what they shall always be.

Lets look at cars in the same way...
    I really would love to own a BMW or a Mercedes because they are amongst the best built cars in the world. This isn't a trendy thing (although I really love the look of them), it's a factual. However, some might argue "so long as it gets you from A to B it's grand." Bollix to that! A clapped out banger will do it, but you're gonna have to spend a mint getting it road worthy and all that. May as well get a good car to start with.
    Lets apply that to the previous examples...
    If you're thirsty, you could buy a drink that'll quench your thirst but tastes foul. So why not spend that few more pence and get something that tastes nice?
    You're buying a pair of shoes...
    it's £25 for the Dunnes Stores "fall apart in a couple of months" shoes or it's £60 for the Cats that'll last well over a year and a half. hmmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions....

So what if someone's getting rich off it - fair play to them. Most of us work hard with similar goals in mind "work well, earn cash, spend cash on things I like." What's wrong with rewarding yourself for a good days work? Let the good times roll baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hahaha what a winker, this is the second thread today ive found in which digi is being a bit "silly" as bard put it so mildily (and yes I know there is no such word).

I'm not going to tell you which clothes I wear, or what products I drink, or eat, nor will I tell you why I don't choose the products I don't choose, but what I will tell you is that if someone tells me (While they wear nike, levis etc etc...) that they drink coke because they like the taste then I'll believe them, and I won't automatically assume that they are muppets, until the point that they start acting muppety.

sorry about the length of that digi, hope it doesn't take too long to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I do think that a lot of the nations youth are really going overboard on alcohol, drugs etc. We have one of the highest rates of Teenage alcohol abuse in the EU. Many of our towns and cities are becoming embroiled in the drugs scourge, which of course leads to higher crime rates etc.

Rather than 'capitalist influences' however, I would blame the lack of social outlets, amenities and recreational activites in which young people can partake for the current social situation. Irish culture is inextricably linked with the pub that it's hard to imagine something else people can do with their time. This inevitably leads to excesses when people as inexperienced as today's youth come to terms with the nations favourite pastime.

As for trying to be 'trendy', I would say that if a person bought branded goods merely to try to act 'cool', then that person is a muppet. However, many people wear these clothes, because, as Kharn pointed out, they are oftentimes of a superior quality than cheaper imitations. I'd rather pay that bit more for something that I know is of good quality and that will last for a long while than try to economise by buying rubbish that in 6 - 12 months time would be fit only for burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Again Seán, you should know better.

While I understand branding very well (goes with the job... the one I had anyway)... I couldn't give a flying f*ck about brands when it comes to consumer goods I'm going to purchase.

If St. Bernard Cola or some other shops-own brand tasted better than Coca-Cola, I'd buy it. The fact remains that it doesn't.

I drink Coca-Cola because I like the taste. It's that simple.

I prefer Dr. Pepper, mind you ... ;)

Quality made from the hands of slave child labour, you muppet!
    So you think the high quality stuff is made by child labour? Who do you think is making the ultra-cheap, off-brand items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

So you think the high quality stuff is made by child labour? Who do you think is making the ultra-cheap, off-brand items?

Brings up an interesting point.
    If the same people that make branded clothing (or goods) are making non-brand clothing then what makes the branded clothing better?
    Maybe they use different materials, maybe they have different "rules" for manufacturing.
    Probably not.

Maybe workers get better treatment when they are working on branded goods.

Yeah, right.

Doesn't this mean the difference between a branded piece of clothing and a non-branded piece of clothing are practically one and the same?
    Did you know that NEXT gets the exact same clothes as Dunnes Stores only a few weeks before with different labels? Did you know the make-up in Dunnes is the same as Lancome?

Now it's not that I agree with Digi's political beliefs but he does have a point about the brainwashing of the general public. It is happening all around us and there's nothing we can really do about it. People are like sheep, whether they realise it or not. Try to count the number of times you are exposed to advertising everyday, you'll be surprised.

People in our society judge status by the amount of "nice things" you have, but it's just stuff. Does it *really* matter?
    Theres a part in Neal Stephensons "The Diamond Age" where a girl breaks up with a guy because he thinks that some things are better than others, which, she says, leads to a belief that some people are better than others.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Enygma

Now it's not that I agree with Digi's political beliefs but he does have a point about the brainwashing of the general public. It is happening all around us and there's nothing we can really do about it. People are like sheep...

Not that I disagree with you -- I don't. However, I believe in the right for each person to make his own mistakes and to run his life as he wishes as long as I don't have to pay for his mistakes.

Someone wants to buy Versace jeans -- great, just dont expect me to pay for it. Want to pork untold numbers of sleazy women without protection -- fine -- but dont expect me to pay for your STD treatments.

Hey, I buy relatively expensive imported beer -- much of it from Ireland. More expensive than the big domestic brews, but I'll be damned if some wanker from Milwalkee, Wisconsin will dictate my choice of beer.

Maybe I'm brainwashed, but most American beer tastes like crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Digi, please keep your adolescant rubbish to whatever boards your trendy 'real' friends use. What you have posted in this thread is utter UTTER nonsense. Most people couldnt invent stuff like this, is all this coming from personal experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

a perfect example of things being made by the same people etc but different cost, is milk, premier daires and avonmore, (now the same company) have their brands of milk, go to dunnes stores, they have a brand. there is a difference in cost, even though it comes from the same dairys. its the same product basicly

but this does not apply to everything. panasonic make cd players etc, but they aslo make teknics (sp?) stuff aswell. u can buy panasonic or teknics, u will pay alot more for teknics but they are of a completely different quality.

thats just my view on that point

also, that **** bout drinkin coke, but not for the taste. the biggest load of bull**** i hav ever heard. i drink sprite mostly, because i like the taste, i drink coke sometimes, not to look good, its because i like the taste.

aslo i do buy mostly branded clothes. they are much better quality. you can buy cheap stuff, but it will fall apart, nomatter what anyone says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well the implication that im too stupid to know what I like the taste of is quite frankly offending. I think there is no better drink than a cold coke. If i didnt like the taste i wouldnt drink it. I dont conform to this coke drinking peer pressure group.
    As for brand names, I dont really care about a name once I like how it looks. Im sorry if I wish too look good and like the way I look.
    Child labour does bother me but in reality I get over it. Child labour is bad and im not saying it isnt but the simple fact is that its the way the world is at this time and its not going to change in my life time.

Anti Capitalists really dont understand there is no real other ways. You could try and claim that Communism failed due to leaders and Socialism was never truely created but Communism does forget one thing.
    Human Nature.
    I dont mind that I am a bit greedy, sure I go out killing people for money but im fine working hard and earning my wage that I got for my hard work in school and at college. I deserve the wage I would make and i have no problem going and spending it on things I like.
    I would consider myself a bit on the side of left wing. While I deserve the wage I make I would have NO problem with paying 50% tax if it improved other peoples lives.
    I know im brainwashed into this by Evil TV and newspapers, but I dont think you realise how your type of System will never work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

In all fairness, what kinda shítehawkin' is this? You sound a lot like a troll.

What kinda screwed up people do you associate with to get this notion? Their systems of value must be foo.

Coke, in my opinion, is far and away the best beverage on this planet. It's taste is surpassed by none.

As for most young people not having real friends... my gawds, you are very wrong. Maybe you don't/didn't - that would explain why you sound bitter at those who purchase "cool" (as interpreted by you) products...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

Q: which of you nicely opinionated people would:

-drive yer kids to school in a clapped out banger?

-put dunnes stores runners on their feet?

-give them **** cola?

-make them use the (eco friendly) cheap mushy copybooks that are minced up by a sharp pencil?

-skimp on braces for fear of them getting obsessed with their appearance?

-give them stab-e-o's for breakfast as they taste almost exactly like corn flakes that were left open for 6 months?

-tell them that those little jimmy african's original brand stick soldier are just as good as the shiny new capitalist toys? and buy them said **** product (made from poisonous plastic) for christmas?

A: you would then? even if you could afford it. you don't wan't the best you can get for your children. that is nice, isn't it?

jepoardising their safety, their future, their life:

-Cheap car: the clapped out banger will crush under the weight from 10 ton lorry delivering aid to afghanistan as it crashes tragically on the m50. a more expensive volkswagon golf could carry the lorry safely to afghanistan on its roof rack.

-Cheap shoes: i've had a nail put through my foot because of the cheap thin soles on my dunnes stores runners, if i was wearing a brand name shoe, my foot would not have had a hole put through it.

-Cheap coke: so that when the school bullies come after little johnny flanders they don't take his lunch, they ass rape him and leave him hanging from his second rate underpants. (which then rip and he has to run home naked)

-Cheap school stuff: so that no matter how hard little johnny flanders works his work turns out looking illegible and ****, he spends so much time paring his HB pencil he doesn't get anything done. 'ol father paddy loses the rag. (i won't go on)

-Cheap medicine: cosmetic surgery is SICK and WRONG, just look at michael jackson, i can understand why you would not subject your child to it. i'm with you on this one. braces are evil.

-Cheap food: avoiding those EVIL multinational monopolies, and saving 25 quid! the only caveat being johnnies whooping cough and slight case of the 'pox.

-Cheap entertainment: johnny has no friends, but that doesn't concern you because he's been instilled with good common sense and doesn't need buzz lightyear to make him happy, he finds content in sammy stick and rocky stone. the lead soldiers that you got from the charity shop filled him with glee, and lead poisoning.

that is a lot of sarcasm and it (proboably) has pissed off a whole ton of people, god i'm trendy. (ps.to those people i'm sorry please don't be offended, it is a "joke" to illustrate a point. badly)

you have to see that people want what is best for them and their children. and they are not manipulated into thinking this. experience has taught them that, as a general rule, more money = better, nicer, safer.
    they strive to get it, who are you to say their children should not
    have the best?

(and no it is not at the expense of poorer nations, they have rich governments and large armies to thank for their expenses and our charities to thank for their continued existence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

-Cheap coke: so that when the school bullies come after little johnny flanders they don't take his lunch, they ass rape him and leave him hanging from his second rate underpants. (which then rip and he has to run home naked)

Okay I think I understand most of your points, but wtf is this all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can someone summarise what this thread is about, nice and succinctly, so that I don't have to bother my ass reading page 1?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Ha Ha. You are absolutely fúcking nuts!!! I can't believe someone can come out with this drivel! You should cop on swift. Reality has gotta kick in soon. Good luck.

I like Pepsi myself!! Coke is great though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Trojan
    Can someone summarise what this thread is about, nice and succinctly, so that I don't have to bother my ass reading page 1?

alright, basically i wanted to get an idea what irish young people are like and are they actually interested in anything else except drinking, being trendy and starting boy bands. it was going quite well untill someone hijacked the thread by bringing in their own personal views on topics such as communism, capitalism and coca cola of all things. :rolleyes:

i would have normally posted this in the humanities board but i didnt want a serious debate over the topic, just a normal point of view which got ruined in the process. its pissing me off now cause i specifically asked for...
    disclaimer: please no spammage :)

in future, i would like to ask all boards members to refrain from replying to gibberish posted by idiots where they are only looking for a flame war. and the person who hijacked this thread, would you please stop replying to threads made by me.

adnans

Sorry adnans for hijacking your post but I feel very strongly that most young people are just really really mean and that something should be done about this. Perhaps better education or something else.

As for the 'I buy what I like thing', all I can say is through experience I have found that a large amount of young people buy coke-like products blindly because if they don't they will not be as cool as their friends. They never admit it openly, no one does. What you expect? You are hardly going to say 'I buy products to look cool in front of my friends.' Its just the way some people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Most people here are a Prime Example of todays youth. Totally Brainwashed by a Capitolist society. They are unable to realise that they are falling victim to a trend trap, and are so weak-minded that they simply HAVE to buy 'designer' gear.

You won't find one single thing made by Nike in my house, how many of you can say the same.

A man at the counter in a sports shop the other day advised me not to buy Nike shoes, as they are bad quality compared to other, cheaper, brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

at the back of most people's heads is that if they don't drink this they willl recieve no respect from their friends.

Oh finally - someone who speaks the truth......

Im 18, and I dont drink or smoke. And I am getting HAMMERED by everyone for it. They just cant see why I dont drink. But I cant see why all of them drink. And Ive told them that I hate the stuff - which I do - and that I dont want to get drunk. They dismiss me as an a55hole n00bie l@m3r.

So far, the drinking rate among people I know at UCC is 100%. I do not know anyone who doesnt drink, which is utterly crazy. Go to another country and you'll find lots of people who dont drink. Here in ireland, you wont find any. Why? I ask you.

I have decided for many years to stick to my guns and just not care about what others think of my beliefs. But Im putting up with so much sh1t at the moment that my defences are crumbling. I dont want to start drinking, but I feel I may have to to get even a shread of respect from anyone.

All the clubs + societies here at UCC are built around drinking. Its crazy. I dont belong to any of them, for that simple reason.

The simple truth is - if you are a University student, and dont drink, then you dont belong in Ireland.

Flame me if you will, but think about it. It is true.

Oh and BTW - I dont wear designer clothes or anything. I dont see why people go into a sports shop for example and buy shoes for IR£100. Go into Roches or Guineys, and get a pair for IR£20. You save money even if they break after a month. The IR£100 ones will not last 5 times longer than the IR£20 ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I know lots of people that don't drink, at least four off the top of my head, so I think that you are generalising to say that "every one in Ireland seems to drink" --- Not a direct quote.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm. If I could return to six years ago, and get back the days I spent sleeping until 1pm, getting up and going to the bar, drinking as much as I could fund on my student budget and possibly smoking my brains out, I would.

I'm the one who's started the 'Cures for Insomnia' thread - at the moment I can't sleep and I think a part of me wants to recapture the times when I could concentrate my energies on where my next pint was coming from.

I think a bigger problem than drink, drugs and fags is the sort of people that can take advantage of you when you're under the influence of a combination of the above.

There are life-sucking little trolls out there, and if you're anything like me you emit some sort of 'attracts-life-sucking-little-trolls' sound when you're a bit pi$$ed.

Whatever about young people having not a care in the world other than their next pint, I think it's more worrying that their goals are set at 'get drunk, get a job, get rich quick'. That is not a fulfilling life plan.

If you haven't got mates, you've got nothing, and if you're really stuck on the 'get pist, get stoned, get laid' lifestyle a couple of nights a week, chances are you've not got the sort of mates that are going to stand to you in the long run.

I agree with the various posts here that say that people who go for the above lifestyle in a big way are sheep. Let me put it to you this way - ever seen a flock of sheep make waves when one of them gets butchered for lambchops?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement