Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raised by Wolves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Reminded of that time I watched Vanilla Sky and 20 mins in or so I get a work call and only make it back for the last 5 mins.
    I seriously thought it was another film the lads had put down as it just went way way way off in another direction.
    I’m still fully convinced I’m missing 3-4 episodes of Raised with Wolves as it just did a vanilla sky and went bat**** nuts. I mean wtf like? Did the entire crew go on an acid binge for the last 2-3 episodes and just went with it for the laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

I do like Travis Fimmel but he is 100% doing Ragnar in space here, which won't be for everyone. It works for me though, I enjoy his generally unhinged performance in later episodes.

Overall I really liked this show. It's refreshing to see high-budget, original sci-fi. Some of the design is outstanding. Something as simple as Mother conversing with the medical bot on the destroyed arc was just so incredibly rewarding to watch.

Also Niamh Algar is really good - I was already familiar with her from other things, but she does a great job here. Funny how the accent slips a few times though.

Yeah, overall, it would be a 9/10 from me, largely due to it's uniqueness and design, just amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished episode 5 and must say it's a fascinating ride. Hard to know how I'd recommend something like this cos any summary would feel reductive against the dreamlike, mythical feel of the actual show. I'm not sure there's actually all that much plot going on here, but the execution is fantastic so far. Everything shrouded in mystery and religious iconography. The world building of the Mithraic religion must have been a blast.

Though "You're a good man ... now make love to me like a great man" is one of the worst lines I've heard a professional actor utter in years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭setanta1000

Hmmm - I watched all episodes and came away depressed and underwhelmed (or just whelmed). I didn't really take to any of the characters (i know that may be the point that they are all flawed) but I couldn't really care less what happened to any of them.

I have just finished binge watching Vikings so I agree 100% with Ragnar in space - it's a bit too much for me.

It's a shame - I really wanted to like this show as I like good hard sci-fi but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The explicit atheism in Evil becomes even more explicit in Raised by Wolves. Here though, there is a more interesting conceit of a world-destroying battle between atheism and religion leading to the need to abandon earth, and how that human constant continues after the exodus.

The intro music and visuals set the tone really well.
    Having the majority of the story play out on a desolate alien planet homestead might have worked wonders for a sci-fi budget, but it also means that a complex mix of philosophical issues can be played out without too much extraneuous activities going on. The pace is deliberately slow for the most-part, and this serves to process the philosophical issues along with the twists and turns of the narrative, so its unpredictability was enjoyable; I didn’t see the
    pregnancy coming, and certainly not the flying dragon eel creature,
    which I was not a fan of. This seemed too supernatural/fantasy for me (as did the Necromancer aspect).
    Overall though, very thought-provoking and enjoyable, and looking forward to a second series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will it be on Sky?

Sky Atlantic on Saturday December 5th at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Will it be on Sky?
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sky Atlantic on Saturday December 5th at 9pm

Actor Niamh Algar was on the Ray D'Arcy Show today, discussing Raised by Wolves.

RTE Player: RTE Radio 1: The Ray D'Arcy Show: 01 December 2020.

Pull the slider to: 0:43.40

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21874005

Main D'Arcy RTE Player, click on December 01.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, I liked the series overall. A bit cheesy, but there you go. Actor Abubakar Salim (Father) has the loveliest voice. I hope to see a follow up series or three..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

watched the first 3 episodes last night on Sky, thought there would be a bit more action in it but maybe that will happen as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

watched the first 3 episodes last night on Sky, thought there would be a bit more action in it but maybe that will happen as it goes on.

Save yourself some time dont finish it
    Its going to end up like the series Lost
    Except its in space
    Seriously a pretentious bag of shiite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Gave this a go, but really didn't like it and have now dropped it.

A pitty, as I liked the concept, am generally good with fiction, like Ridley Scott etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sure it fizzled a little towards the end but it's a good enough watch - will watch S2 for sure

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed this. It's a little slow, probably could easily have been a couple of episodes shorter, but there's some interesting elements lurking underneath and it does come together a bit in the finale with a fair bit of set up for the second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have watched up to episode 5 and I'm 50/50 as to whether to keep going or not.

I Was sold on a few rave reviews and Scott's name, but slightly underwhelmed so far.

Save yourself some time dont finish it
    Its going to end up like the series Lost
    Except its in space
    Seriously a pretentious bag of shiite

Mother of god, they didn't do that to us again?

Was planning on getting stuck in tonight, that sets off alarms

• Advertisement

There's only been one season - it's impossible to know if they'll do a 'Lost'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was planning on getting stuck in tonight, that sets off alarms

I'm as far as episode 5, ah its not too bad to pass an hour or so on a winters night.

I'm as far as episode 5, ah its not too bad to pass an hour or so on a winters night.

2 episodes in- enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished it, really enjoyed it. Not too bothered by all the mysteries, just accepting it for what it is.

Just finished.
    Not sure how I feel about the finale
    Ragnar is ripping the piss at this stage. Half dead and takes out-
    Who are the useless soldiers in black anyway. are they atheists?
    The flying snake thing was pretty lame looking.
    That was a freaky looking two sided head thing beside the altar thingshape
    Cave art was neat.
    How were they spat out of the lava and back out.
    Love the music though.
    I fear it could do a Lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished.
    Not sure how I feel about the finale
    Ragnar is ripping the piss at this stage. Half dead and takes out-
    Who are the useless soldiers in black anyway. are they atheists?
    The flying snake thing was pretty lame looking.
    That was a freaky looking two sided head thing beside the altar thingshape
    Cave art was neat.
    How were they spat out of the lava and back out.
    Love the music though.
    I fear it could do a Lost
    THEY FLEW THROUGHT THE PLANET.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Good characters and all that but overall i think jlot was a load of poop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was initially glad to see some intelligent SF to wash away the taste of ST Discovery but only finished the series for the sake of finishing. I came to dislike Fimmel and I always despise delirium-sequences. The voice of Sol veered too much into fantasy. It asked too many questions and answered none, leaving me little confidence I'll be satisfied by a season 2. Bit of a waste really.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

I loved the high concept pretentious weirdness of it all. Plus bare in mind, Ridley Scott is involved, so only expect half of your questions to be answered.

"Father" is a joy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

twinex wrote: »
    I loved the high concept pretentious weirdness of it all. Plus bare in mind, Ridley Scott is involved, so only expect half of your questions to be answered.
    Exactly - I assumed I wouldn't get clear answers and therefore was able to enjoy it more.
    "Father" is a joy for me.
    "Would you like to hear a joke?"

ixoy wrote: »
    Exactly - I assumed I wouldn't get clear answers and therefore was able to enjoy it more.

"Would you like to hear a joke?"

"Knock knock"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

"who's there?"

Skerries wrote: »
    "who's there?"

A malfunctioning Android, A Cleric and a cat walk into a brothel.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 trailer. returns February 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A reminder I must actually finish season 1. Just kinda floated away, distracted by other stuff out there. I liked it, I'm sure I said as much but I guess it lacked that seed to keep me coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

First reaction to seeing that there was a trailer was remembering this show was done well.

Then I remembered the end of season 1 and the

dodgy.. cgi flying something..I can't remember clearly

Anyway, trailer looks like maybe they've had a bit of a budget cut or are having to stretch their budget a bit much.

Plenty WTF was that moments all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That's strange I thought the trailer implied a pretty big budget increase and its made me look forward to something I'd given up on after all the nonsense in S1s finale.

I wouldn't mind finding out they hadn't been cut and had enough to get what they wanted into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"... Just kinda floated away, distracted by other stuff out there ..."

bit like the flying eel-monster newborn at the end of the first season 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

On my list of things to possibly have look in on again next time I have a NowTV sub...great world-building, but too much going on /too confused to make it have enough coherence for me to commit

Oh yes! That looks much improved! I'm guessing they just needed that bit of time since the first trailer to get their special effects in order.

I'm not sure but I think I saw here looking at something like a robot or robocop type thing in a tube.. but it's face was blocked by a rock or something..

then later it looked like she was replacing her own body.. so.. back to full power then! .. although.. at one point she seemed to be under the influence of the creature

• Advertisement

There were also two more. One for Mother and one for Father.

I learned in the one for Mother that

The Creature in the box with the Mask.. was an Android. I think I had be unclear on that one. Had been left thinking it looks alien.

Mother:

Raised By Wolves | Character Recap: Mother | HBO Max

Father:

Raised By Wolves | Character Recap: Father | HBO Max

Two more added. Campion and Sue

Campion (spoiler is a season one 1 line character desc/reminder from me):

(the kid who didn't die on Mother and Father)

Raised By Wolves | Character Recap: Campion| HBO Max

Sue (spoiler is a season one 1 line character desc/reminder from me):

(earlier Mary, the Medic, wife of Marcus, earlier Caleb).

Raised By Wolves | Character Recap: Sue | HBO Max

Sue is played by Irish actress Niamh Algar so I'm probably all biased or something but I thought she did really well to stand out last season. She also has a great voice there for narrating her own video.

First episode of season two is set to premiere next Thursday, on February 3.

Two more recaps.. BUT.. really it's one more Character recap and then what feels like a Proper Season one Recap, an "All Character" one.

Raised By Wolves | Character Recap: Paul | HBO Max

the son taken on by Sue (earlier Mary, the Medic) and Marcus (earlier Caleb) during the journey through space to the planet.

Raised By Wolves | All Character Recap | HBO Max

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This got renewed? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

There is a double episode out today? Watching the first now.

1: Well.. isn't everything just fine. Yep. Fine fine fine.

In the colony surrounded by freaking massive whirlpools and acid lakes (maybe seas?!)!

With people and androids picking up messaging from some unknown signal.

And not to forget the floating creature thing must still be out there somewhere.

I do think they've hit a big of a limit on their special and practical effects budget.

Close up, things looks and feel much the same but then the wider shots.. are ok and I can get where they were going with them but they look a little dated or soft in the computer rendering.

I did think it was a cool idea when

that dude opened up mother and what I'm guessing was her internal bio-weapon defences kicked in.. like .. it totally made sense that her model would have that built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ok I'm totally lost what's happening here in the second season

2: That first scene where

the creature arrived to the tree with Campion, now that was tense!

Then the rest gave me the impression they think they can kill it easy. Hrmmm.. not sure it'll be as easy as they think.

Separately.. I think this episode clarified about the acid.. it's acid seas for sure!

Also.. these episodes aren't short but.. they feel short.

Not sure but I love it. More cohesive than last season though. And definitely more Ridley Scott high concept shenanigans. He loves a menacing antagonist.

3: I don't know what's going on! Everything is on it's head! Everything is sooo strange!

It's a herbivore..

What's this android skeleton..

What's the noise they keep hearing then?!

Is there something in the acid sea!? Feels like there's something in the acid sea

unless like..

unless there's some kind of time travel loop in progress or something.. I .. I dunno

4: Strongest episode of the season so far I think.

Towards the end I was all like.. yeah **** around and Find out!

but then the very end I was like OOOOOOHhhhhh!!

So that shining being that saved Campions life must have been the one Father had been restoring.

Damn it felt bad seeing what happened to Vrille and Paul. That was some cool dark imagery of mother entering the ship afterwards.

So after that..

then all the society I assume is gonna break up and reform a bit.

Also.. the Acid Sea creature! I assume descended from humans like the other side of the planet ones.. and probably more.. maybe some big?

• Advertisement
Advertisement