Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised by Wolves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: Alright... gonna be needing
    someone to go down and explore those pits. Gotta be something going on! Defintiely feels like another set of natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Slydice wrote: »
    3: Some kinda sense of relief
    there when it turned out it was the food. It really didn't look like the Androids hadn't been trying their best but I'd started thinking that maybe they were radioactive or something. Alright, guessing that next up has got to be something more about the natives. Guessing the holes have something to do with them and maybe Paul will meet them.

I'm up as far as this episode and I'm really enjoying it. Had not even seen/heard anything about the show until a friend mentioned it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This series so far makes me crave the next episode. It's literally the only show in a long while that I'm glued to from start to the end of every episode

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

This show is so good.. I was hooked from the first episode.
    But episode 7 is a game changer..
    I'm calling it now, show of the year for me!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 1 and very bleak, with a pretty slow pace at the start. Took a while to get going before all going a bit batty by the end. The "tearing" moment was inventive, if grisly lol.

Am intrigued but as things stand don't see much in the way of progression of story. Unless it goes into flashback there's not much on the table right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not much happening in 8 and 9 (8 being a bit gory) but one big surprise and some lean into the
    planets previous inhabitants maybe...
    not sure what is going on there

Lot of mysteries/unanswered questions seeing as there is only one episode left and can see it all being dragged into season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I like the model they have of transmitting 2 episodes at a time- the boys probably should tried the same. Episode 8 and 9 were very good but the list of weird/unexplained stuff happening is getting very long at this stage. Not sure if they can wrap it all up in a neat logical bow.

8: DAMN That scene at the start
    with his face!!!
    :eek: The episode was done well but felt like it's deepened and added more mystery. Not sure what's going on in many places.

9: That vision of the
    Alien and what's going on with Mother and the baby and it not being all human
    and Ridley Scott having his name attached! :eek:

I'm not sure
    Marcus is dead. They'd hardly kill him off?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So no answers and a whole load more questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only caught the first two episodes and it looks fantastic, as you'd expect directed by Ridley Scott, if very washed out. The story is definitely a slow burn but curious to know where it goes from here, even if it's unclear what direction that might.

And I have to say, I love Father's "jokes". They're so bad they pop around again to funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Started to lose a bit of interest in this when it became Ragnar in Space and when Mother became "pregnant". You just knew that some alien entity was going to emerge as a result of it with no real explanation of how it got there. It started off pretty interesting but now I'm completely on the fence about it. I'll give season two a shot, but I'm going to set my expectations bar a good bit lower this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Am what the feic just happened. Haven't seen a series go so off the rails on a season finale like that before.

Feel like they got to ep9 took a pile of drugs and then wrote ep 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Relikk wrote: »
    Started to lose a bit of interest in this when it became Ragnar in Space and when Mother became "pregnant". You just knew that some alien entity was going to emerge as a result of it with no real explanation of how it got there. It started off pretty interesting but now I'm completely on the fence about it. I'll give season two a shot, but I'm going to set my expectations bar a good bit lower this time.
    Really cannot stand the Ragnar actor, as you say he's playing Ragnar in space.
    Annoying.
    Good show though.

Finished! Overall, they set up a decent enough dystopian future scifi. Performances of the cast held a lot of the season strong. Not sure about the ending.

10: Yep,
    some kinda alien thing.
    The visual effects were ok but that last scene looked like it coulda done with some more budget.
    This really feels like it's pushing into the Ridley Scott Alien ideas of
    previously seeded planets.
    Guessing
    the flying creature is gonna rip through some people who we didn't know about over on the other side of the planet. I was kinda surprised the ship made it there. Plans for the future being laid I guess.
    Also guessing
    some of the natives we haven't seen must have developed some sort of mind powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Things were going great guns, until the flying reptile appeared, then it was downhill all the way, or at least down the pit for Mother and Father. It's a 50/50 chance of series 2 reigniting my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Things were going great guns, until the flying reptile appeared, then it was downhill all the way, or at least down the pit for Mother and Father. It's a 50/50 chance of series 2 reigniting my interest.

Kind of similar for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ah lads I thought that was a proper season finale. It has been a great first season and will be looking forward to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thought the series started strong but just fell away, yer man Marcus just started acting like a demented Bono in the last few episodes and I've no interest in his character. Not sure if I'll be back for Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kind of weird how they were all living in the dirt wearing rags in a destroyed stadium and they managed to build an ark like that isn't it? The technology levels are all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Reminded of that time I watched Vanilla Sky and 20 mins in or so I get a work call and only make it back for the last 5 mins.
    I seriously thought it was another film the lads had put down as it just went way way way off in another direction.
    I’m still fully convinced I’m missing 3-4 episodes of Raised with Wolves as it just did a vanilla sky and went bat**** nuts. I mean wtf like? Did the entire crew go on an acid binge for the last 2-3 episodes and just went with it for the laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I do like Travis Fimmel but he is 100% doing Ragnar in space here, which won't be for everyone. It works for me though, I enjoy his generally unhinged performance in later episodes.

Overall I really liked this show. It's refreshing to see high-budget, original sci-fi. Some of the design is outstanding. Something as simple as Mother conversing with the medical bot on the destroyed arc was just so incredibly rewarding to watch.

Also Niamh Algar is really good - I was already familiar with her from other things, but she does a great job here. Funny how the accent slips a few times though.

Yeah, overall, it would be a 9/10 from me, largely due to it's uniqueness and design, just amazing.

Finished episode 5 and must say it's a fascinating ride. Hard to know how I'd recommend something like this cos any summary would feel reductive against the dreamlike, mythical feel of the actual show. I'm not sure there's actually all that much plot going on here, but the execution is fantastic so far. Everything shrouded in mystery and religious iconography. The world building of the Mithraic religion must have been a blast.

Though "You're a good man ... now make love to me like a great man" is one of the worst lines I've heard a professional actor utter in years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

Hmmm - I watched all episodes and came away depressed and underwhelmed (or just whelmed). I didn't really take to any of the characters (i know that may be the point that they are all flawed) but I couldn't really care less what happened to any of them.

I have just finished binge watching Vikings so I agree 100% with Ragnar in space - it's a bit too much for me.

It's a shame - I really wanted to like this show as I like good hard sci-fi but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The explicit atheism in Evil becomes even more explicit in Raised by Wolves. Here though, there is a more interesting conceit of a world-destroying battle between atheism and religion leading to the need to abandon earth, and how that human constant continues after the exodus.

The intro music and visuals set the tone really well.
    Having the majority of the story play out on a desolate alien planet homestead might have worked wonders for a sci-fi budget, but it also means that a complex mix of philosophical issues can be played out without too much extraneuous activities going on. The pace is deliberately slow for the most-part, and this serves to process the philosophical issues along with the twists and turns of the narrative, so its unpredictability was enjoyable; I didn’t see the
    pregnancy coming, and certainly not the flying dragon eel creature,
    which I was not a fan of. This seemed too supernatural/fantasy for me (as did the Necromancer aspect).
    Overall though, very thought-provoking and enjoyable, and looking forward to a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will it be on Sky?

Sky Atlantic on Saturday December 5th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Will it be on Sky?
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sky Atlantic on Saturday December 5th at 9pm

Actor Niamh Algar was on the Ray D'Arcy Show today, discussing Raised by Wolves.

RTE Player: RTE Radio 1: The Ray D'Arcy Show: 01 December 2020.

Pull the slider to: 0:43.40

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21874005

Main D'Arcy RTE Player, click on December 01.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, I liked the series overall. A bit cheesy, but there you go. Actor Abubakar Salim (Father) has the loveliest voice. I hope to see a follow up series or three..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

watched the first 3 episodes last night on Sky, thought there would be a bit more action in it but maybe that will happen as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

watched the first 3 episodes last night on Sky, thought there would be a bit more action in it but maybe that will happen as it goes on.

Save yourself some time dont finish it
    Its going to end up like the series Lost
    Except its in space
    Seriously a pretentious bag of shiite

Advertisement