Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

a bit dear but take out the 20 quid you need to drive to pick up parcels in lockers and all the bother

But why is the other one 70 euros on currys and the other one is 49.99 ??

Are the both the same spec and 16gb ??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ah I see,so no great black friday price on the new firestick 4k max 16gb with currys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

"The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and the Stick 4K Max are undoubtedly capable media streamers. Most people will be satisfied with either. But if you can shell out for the Fire TV Stick 4K Max, it's certainly a better streaming device thanks to its powerful chip, Wi-Fi 6E support, and more storage space"

Thr storage is Big as apps are a lot bigger in size to save and there only getting bigger again

anyone think the new 4k max might be cheaper on black friday 24th nov ??.

its not even sure that the reductions will last till Friday tbh

has anyone bitten the bullet and bought the new 4k max for 69.99 at currys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

People definitely have, they were sold out of them today in the Cork branch.

I've pulled the trigger and bought it from currys for 69.99 plus postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

I have a question. Maybe its for here, maybe its not so apologies if not. I've Ultimate Pool tv on my firestick. But I don't have sound with it. Every other channel & app is fine except UP. My tv is over 10 years old but its up to date insofar as it supports the firestck via HDMI slot. Any ideas?

u need to set your audio surround settings to pcm only on an old tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭wassie

I combine those trips for a big booze run into Newry and can easily save well over a 100 quid alone in Tesco/ASDA, so you can make that trip very worth while.

last time i went was to get this old laptop 4 years ago . now id just pay the extra couple of euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Do the international versions ever go on sale for black friday?

They have, but the discounts are pretty poor anytime they go on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

4K max is €56.99 on Amazon Italy but it says they only post to Italy and the Vatican City. Is there any way around this? (using a 3rd party postal company would negate the savings...)

get here on there are sure to be a few appear from private sellers on sites soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

German site only ships to germany and austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Steviemak7

Bought the Max on Amazon. Great price but had to use cousins in the North for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you actually mean cousins or "cousins"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi. Ooh Pod have lockers in Belleek. That should do the trick!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Probably a stupid version but can you stream Channel 4, ITV and the BBC with the international version using a vpn

Yes but you need to either use a uk based amazon account or sideload the apps

its better to use a uk account than an irish one once your not using your own prime video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Thanks, my Amazon prime is Irish based, no problem with sideloading, just that the wife loves channel 4 streaming and anything for a quiet life, the current firestick is starting to lock up a lot and needs to be reset often.

Get one of the new ones . the 16gb one is better you can have a lot of apps and still have gbs left.

getting the firestick version of the channel 4 app is not easy . its different to most that are out there . although it might load on an Irish account

another work around that works with some apps

log in with uk account load them - de register and login with irish account - most apps will still work not all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Does changing your Country/Region Settings on your amazon account still allow you to download apps from other countries with your firestick. For example changing to the UK to download the BBC/ITV etc. and then changing back to Ireland once your apps are downloaded. It is much better than sideloading.

• Advertisement

you can change regions and settings . it can mess about with your account where things end up not working on your account

its best to use a uk account in ireland unless you have Irish Prime Video . as you get bbc iplayer . my 5 , channel 4 a, itvx and freevee working well . the channel 4 app on the firestick is the best version off the app there is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They all work work perfectly with Smart DNS apart from Freevee with my amazon account set to Ireland.

it is an option yes but if someone just wants to keep it simple .and use the uk apps. a uk account would be advised .

Yes - I have the Amazon apps from UK, US, AUS and ROI regions. I dont have any issues with things not working.

Is a little more effort to change regions back and forth, but the main advantage is that the apps are easily updated and always remain in your library. When you get a new firestick you can just reinstall from your library and no risk of Amazon updates breaking sideloaded apps as gets reported from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, sideloading is useful for getting apps not in Amazons library and I get why peeps do it. But personally I dont sideload any APKs anymore purely to avoid any risk of malware infecting my device and ultimately my network. Others dont see this as a risk, but google "fire tv sideload risk" and make your own mind up.

Agree with Nowso advice on using setting your Prime Video to UK - with the caveat you need a VPN set to UK to get the best benefit. Prime UK has a bigger library of shows over the Irish version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i don’t have a vpn.

I was able to load Chanel 4 app straight onto irish registered firestick. Pretty sure it is not geo restricted

no chance i could install itv or bbc players.

i have another firestick which is registered to a uk account. Chanel 4 works fine. Think I got bbc iplayer installed but nothing plays. Indeed pretty much nothing on the prime plays on that.

really have to have a VPN, but I couldn’t be arsed

channel 4 has some stuff available without vpn not all - . u get more on the uk account and a vpn is worth it for stuff on Iplayer . if you like music its great for Glastonbury Live streams n stuff like that

• Advertisement

Live channels are the only thing that won't work on channel 4 app. It's not geoblocked.

Prime works fine in Ireland too, don't think there's any difference in the content now either except for the premier league. Login on a browser if you've problems playing stuff & it'll change you to ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Getflix is very cheap and would allow you view all UK and US streaming apps.

Getflix lifetime subscription is less than $50. Very reasonable for a once off payment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

I've only a limited knowledge of firesticks but I've had one firestick for the past 3+ years. It very seldom buffers and I'm very pleased with it. I was thinking of getting another stick to use in another room, and using both with my same account. Would this cause one or both sticks to buffer or would it not make any difference? TIA.

you can use the same amazon account yes - the only limit on streams is on accounts would be on apps that you have accounts with Netflix etc

once you have fiber internet the 2 should work fine together .

get one off the new 2023 firestick 4k or 4k max . as they have better picture quality

Ireland Prime doesn't have access to the full UK catalogue. But you get all Amazon produced and owned content. TBH there not a lot outside of Amazon's own stuff that it worth watching I find in any event.

• Advertisement

Looks like ads are certain to be set to be introduced from 2024, along with a paid ad-free premium tier.

Didn't think that was the case for years. Give me something to try you think isn't available

I only have a UK account, so I have no idea whats available in the Irish version. I guess you'll just have to take Amazon's word for it.

Prime Video

Prime members living outside of the UK can access exclusive Prime Originals, and popular movies and TV at primevideo.com. The complete Prime Video catalogue on Amazon.co.uk is only available to Prime members living and located in the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6V3LUCB9M6VNQAD

And beside the free content, the full catalogue also includes paid content, of which some is only available to rent or purchase in the UK.

I'd stuff not play on firestick before, login to primevideo & it prompts to change region and that sorted it.

Before that I got them to set prime video region to UK to watch the pl games, no need for a VPN to view either. Their geoblocking was an account setting it seemed.

Yes i used that before . now just watch on us apps its less hassle

freevee has some stuff that people will want on and thats an advantage of the uk account over irish . also ive linked up uk radio app for absolute radio to alexa that wouldnt work on my irish account .

Decent article here for anyone that doesnt have a VPN for Firestick and considering it. I'm normally cautious about VPN comparison articles as often they are paid reviews, but CNET are generally reputable and make clear their affiliate links.

Ive had ExpressVPN before and it is handsdown the best - but also very expensive.

I use Nord these days on a very cheap 2 year plan (always coupons floating around on the interwebs) and Nord's native FireTV app is very good. No complaints but occasionally I still get geoblocked - just means I may need to switch servers a couple of times in order to access regional content.

Also helps to manual force stop the steaming app and clear cache under the menu: Settings -> Apps -> Manage Installed Apps -> [Streaming App Name].

agree re express vpn - its gone 2 dear now - surfshark works out cheap over a 3 years and others like widscribe etc can be cheaper options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have windscribe a few years now, only costs about €40 a year I think and has never failed on anything I've tried so far

windscribe is grand for tv streaming and the like a bit limited for bigger pc tasks due to its set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yeah we only use it for various players and streaming apps and the likes

• Advertisement
Advertisement