Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

derfderf wrote: »
    Yeah, that was annoying me too. Going far beyond high school bullying. GBH from Hawk. Grand larceny when they stole the charity money.
    I suppose you have to leave reality at the door though.

Didn't they give that money to Miguel anyway though?

Macchio is fine to me. He's not asked to do much but I do enjoy him bouncing off Zabka and the wife.

The Japan scenes were hard to watch though.

The training with Chozen was pretty good. I thought it was nice to see that character get a chance of redemption. I hope he makes a return at some stage.

It was a little crazy how a girl that Daniel randomly saved in the storm in KK2 ended up being a top executive with Dayonna of all companies, but I suppose the odd bit of a shark jump here and there can be overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Macchio is fine to me. He's not asked to do much but I do enjoy him bouncing off Zabka and the wife.

I think he's meant to be extremely annoying.......if he is he plays it very well.
    If he isn't it's just bad acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think he's meant to be extremely annoying.......if he is he plays it very well.
    If he isn't it's just bad acting.

I don't know if it's just me, but I always though the character of Daniel was supposed be like, patronisingly positive and "too nice", to the point that is makes him unlikeable. A bit more concerned about visibly being the good guy to people around him, which often ends up in him causing more trouble.

It's basically the story of Karate Kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just me, but I always though the character of Daniel was supposed be like, patronisingly positive and "too nice", to the point that is makes him unlikeable. A bit more concerned about visibly being the good guy to people around him, which often ends up in him causing more trouble.

It's basically the story of Karate Kid.

Yeah I mean that was really shown in the PTA meeting when he gives his talk on karate and your man says "eh you trained the guy who almost killed the other guy, sit down LaRusso".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Machio looking very well for his age 59 so got me looking up the age of his onscreen wife thinking she has aged v well if anywhere near as old, she is 39 :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Started watching this before Christmas and finished S3 this week.

An absolute tonic.

Adored it from start to finish. Genuinely funny and a great heart. They’ve done well with the new cast.

My wife also loved it but reckons the next series has to start with police raids and most of the cast in jail at this stage. The attack in La Russo’s house was all sorts of criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

FutureGuy wrote: »

My wife also loved it but reckons the next series has to start with police raids and most of the cast in jail at this stage. The attack in La Russo’s house was all sorts of criminality.

Don't forget the concussions. So many, many concussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Started watching this before Christmas and finished S3 this week.

An absolute tonic.

Adored it from start to finish. Genuinely funny and a great heart. They’ve done well with the new cast.

It's the thin end of the wedge. If the police don't crack down on this now, Cobra Kai will invade the Capitol next or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The valley has lost its marbles. I felt the most glaring thing about the season was the complete lack of support for Miguel in his rehab. Instead Johnny, a man who has never held down a job in his life by all accounts is instead entrusted(or just left to) nursing him back to mobility mere months, if even, after his catastrophic back injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I adored this season, finished it today.

I had one problem though. The passage of time.

Daniel in Japan. Ding. Daniel at home.
    Miguel in a coma to wheelchair to limping on crutches to walking and fighting within 6 or 7 episodes.
    Robbie in jail for serious assault. Ding. Robbie out of jail.
    Demetri with a broken arm. Ding. Cast off and fighting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Mr E wrote: »

Miguel in a coma to wheelchair to limping on crutches to walking and fighting within 6 or 7 episodes.

I just took it as a year in Harry Potter time. That sh1t goes by fast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mr E wrote: »

The series takes place over 4 months. It starts just as the school term would have started in late August and finishes up at Christmas. It was far, far too quick for Miguel or Demetri to have been fighting again, especially Miguel. Though they both could have been relatively recovered and walking/out of the cast in that time. I know it's a show about karate, but I think it would have worked to have had Miguel really struggling to get his karate ability back. It would have made Hawk's decision at the end more poignant because Miguel shouldn't have been holding his own against Kyler.

The timing suggests Robbie got 3 months-ish in juvie. I don't know how likely that would be in the US? Daniel's dealership troubles and time in Japan is fine in that timeline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The only bit that didn't work for me was Miguel in a wheelchair -> fighting.

The rest is possible in a couple of months...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

GreeBo wrote: »
    The only bit that didn't work for me was Miguel in a wheelchair -> fighting.

The rest is possible in a couple of months...
    It’s close to 4 months. I could see Miguel back training but struggling and frustrated that he’s not where he was. Definitely not capable of holding his own against Kyler in a real fight.

Robbie lost pretty much all sympathy with me when his reaction at seeing Miguel and Samantha was to attack Miguel. Sure it would have been upsetting but if your first reaction in seeing the kid you put in a coma and paralyzed is to attack him when he’s not even properly recovered, then you aren’t remotely sorry for what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

iguana wrote: »
    It’s close to 4 months. I could see Miguel back training but struggling and frustrated that he’s not where he was. Definitely not capable of holding his own against Kyler in a real fight.

Robbie lost pretty much all sympathy with me when his reaction at seeing Miguel and Samantha was to attack Miguel. Sure it would have been upsetting but if your first reaction in seeing the kid you put in a coma and paralyzed is to attack him when he’s not even properly recovered, then you aren’t remotely sorry for what you did.

First impressions last. Whatever happened and whatever thet did, I couldn't stop thinking of Robbie as a petty criminal and Miguel as the bullied hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only got into this last week following recommendations from friends and as someone who barely remembers the movies it was fantastic. Just finished the season 3 finale now and can't wait for more!

Johnny is clearly the stand out of the show. I love the scenes with him adapting to modern tech (his first foray onto the Internet is hilarious!) or the pokes at all the safe space nonsense.

The kids are a decent bunch too especially Miguel who is great in scenes with Johnny.

I did think the big fight in the season finale was a bit thin considering they did the same for season 2 but the final 10 minutes or so definitely made up for it. Krease almost becomes understandable too with the Vietnam backstory. Add 40 years of anger, bitterness and regret and you can begin to see where his philosophy comes from. Really well done, just as how Johnny's attempts to reform Cobra Kai in the earlier seasons show the depth there too.

Daniel, Sam and Robbie are probably the weak points of the show but not so much as to be too distracting or immersion breaking. Just thin when compared to the development of Johnny and Miguel.

I must go back and watch the original film but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed after watching 3 seasons of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I must go back and watch the original film but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed after watching 3 seasons of this.

The Karate Kid actually holds up really well I think. The Karate Kid Part III is also pretty good (mostly because of Terry Silver, and lots of Kreese in there too).

The Karate Kid Part II I didn't think was great, aside from the opening 4 or 5 minutes, which is really just an epilogue to the first movie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Karate Kid actually holds up really well I think. The Karate Kid Part III is also pretty good (mostly because of Terry Silver, and lots of Kreese in there too).

The Karate Kid Part II I didn't think was great, aside from the opening 4 or 5 minutes, which is really just an epilogue to the first movie.

I watched the first movie on Netflix a few months ago before I'd ever heard of Cobra Kai. It blew me away. Mister Miyagi is just one of those perfect characters. I went searching for the sequels and discovered this show instead. :) Still haven't found the third movie anywhere, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just finished season three, this is eye popcorn. Love it. Very few shows have me finding myself smiling so often without realising it.

Johnny is just an awesome character and is played beautifully by zabka. Kreese is the perfect villain. For season 4 they will have to throw a hand grenade of sorts into Daniel and Johnny’s relationship as their rivalry has been at the heart of it all.

Still love the show , so easy to watch.

And for those concerned about watching KK1 movie, I watched it with kids before Christmas and I think it’s still very enjoyable. I rememeber Going to see it in cinema when I was younger (showing my age) and I was getting excited just waiting for the final tournament when “you’re the best” kicks in.

What cobra Kai has done well is expand on an older franchise in a way that richly enhances the original material. Cant think of many other shows or sequel movies that have achieved this level of quality.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just finished season three, this is eye popcorn. Love it. Very few shows have me finding myself smiling so often without realising it.

Johnny is just an awesome character and is played beautifully by zabka. Kreese is the perfect villain. For season 4 they will have to throw a hand grenade of sorts into Daniel and Johnny’s relationship as their rivalry has been at the heart of it all.

Still love the show , so easy to watch.

And for those concerned about watching KK1 movie, I watched it with kids before Christmas and I think it’s still very enjoyable. I rememeber Going to see it in cinema when I was younger (showing my age) and I was getting excited just waiting for the final tournament when “you’re the best” kicks in.

What cobra Kai has done well is expand on an older franchise in a way that richly enhances the original material. Cant think of many other shows or sequel movies that have achieved this level of quality.

I can only imagine both Daniel and Johnny will be totally at odds on how the dojo should be run before finding common ground just in the nick of time to beat Cobra Kai.

Couldnt agree more about your point ive highlighted. It seems to be that this show was written by huge fans of the original who have obviously remained very loyal to the original movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Delighted to discover a thread on this!
    I adore the KK franchise since it's original release. So it can't do any wrong in my eyes :)
    I watch it mainly for Nostalgia. Season 1 remains the best for me probably cause of the great opening, extra bits of original footage and zooming in on Johnny face down on the mat. Excellent.
    The seasons have gotten gradually worse as its gone on, to a point where I feel like I'm watching some modern Teen after school show. I get that it has to be modern and love that it has pulled in new and younger fans. But I'm only ever waiting for my nostalgia fix. And they've been getting fewer and farther between.
    The kid scenes are so cringe. Zero real life at all in the series. Karate 24/7. Let's all walk around in Karate gear.. just nonsense. And how serious they all take it. Tough guy walks in with 1 mate on each shoulder standing behind. Who the F walks around like this? :D
    Hawk is so cringe.. Tori.. Sam.. pretty much all the kids. Fights are terrible. Big slow swinging punches etc..
    But I get that it's not written for me.
    Zabka is the best by a mile. Very talented. In all credit to the writers, I love Johnny. A character I hated since a child :D
    I've done a 360 and think Johnny is great and Daniel is a gimp.
    Ralph is quite a poor actor compared to his original work.
    I watched KK2 and 3 prior to S3 of CK.
    Macchio was so energetic in the films. Real Jersey humour and cheese and energy. All that is missing from his performances in CK.
    Agree with others. It's running out of steam. Thought they'd hold off on Allie for S4 but nope. So the only return that makes sense is Silver (whom we're led to believe Kreese calls at the end). That's be great.
    I'll watch anything that comes along as I'm a die hard fan. But it's written for the kids and I try and remind myself of that every time I'm feeling left out.

Sorry for the waffle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I watched the first movie on Netflix a few months ago before I'd ever heard of Cobra Kai. It blew me away. Mister Miyagi is just one of those perfect characters. I went searching for the sequels and discovered this show instead. :)Still haven't found the third movie anywhere, unfortunately.

Sony Movies on Sky has them on quite often.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I presume when all the concerned parents were at the PTA meeting and someone said “Shut up Laruuso, I heard you were the real bully”, that it was a nod to this.....

https://youtu.be/C_Gz_iTuRMM

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I presume when all the concerned parents were at the PTA meeting and someone said “Shut up Laruuso, I heard you were the real bully”, that it was a nod to this.....

https://youtu.be/C_Gz_iTuRMM

It's a running joke in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long was he in jail for breaking somebodies back?

I watched the first movie on Netflix a few months ago before I'd ever heard of Cobra Kai. It blew me away. Mister Miyagi is just one of those perfect characters. I went searching for the sequels and discovered this show instead. :) Still haven't found the third movie anywhere, unfortunately.

Trilogy on this Sunday on Sony Movies

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Trilogy on this Sunday on Sony Movies

Thanks for the heads-up! :) I'll have to check my dad's TV package and see if we have that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads-up! :) I'll have to check my dad's TV package and see if we have that.

If he has sky, it's one of the free movie channels

Advertisement