Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking old pal, Tea Gardens Hotel, Bondi Junction, Sydney, 1999-2000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MandiT

Well if you do see her, that would be awesome. I don't know if I'd recognise her if she was at the shops or something. Not such a problem for you, right, so we're pinning our hopes on you, big responsibility here!! :D

No, there's been nothing concrete re Phil at all. We've heard from one or two people who were at the Tea Gardens at the time, but they didn't know of Phil, or anyone else.

You know, I keeping it's kind of strange, we were all sitting there with Phil, and you were probably nearby, sitting next to us maybe on some nights, and you had a situation going on with a girl behind the bar that possibly no one else knew of!

As I remember it, Tine was quite popular with the boys, I always heard guys calling out her name! But I get the feeling you were a little more low-key, right?

Ah, what you see, and what you don't see, I'll never look at a bar full of people the same way again!

Oh yes, you're right, the main downstairs is almost the same. They've changed the part right at the back of the room now, it's a sort of lounge area these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roaming_jen

If Tine lives near Bondi junction maybe you could leave notices for her the bus stop, directing her to this thread?!?! Just saying.....

Haha! You must have seen that story from New Zealand last week, you know where a girl left notes near the place where she'd seen a guy who caught her eye!

Something like that happened in a movie didn't it? An American guy left notes around Vienna I think it was, for a French girl who he was meant to meet there.

It could be something we could ask VeBe to do, but I'm not sure what he'd think of that idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 VeBe

MandiT wrote:
    As I remember it, Tine was quite popular with the boys, I always heard guys calling out her name!

I remember that to! I'd have thought you'd have heard from at least a few people who knew her, if no one else.
    If Tine lives near Bondi junction maybe you could leave notices for her the bus stop

Talk about leaving no stone unturned!
    MandiT wrote:
    Something like that happened in a movie didn't it? An American guy left notes around Vienna I think it was, for a French girl who he was meant to meet there.

You're thinking of a film called "Before Sunset" directed by Richard Linklater, with Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke. He said he'd put notices up at the railway station, after she failed to show up for the meeting they'd arranged six months earlier.
    MandiT wrote:
    It could be something we could ask VeBe to do, but I'm not sure what he'd think of that idea!

Lol, well, it's a fun idea, that's for sure. If circumstances were a little different I'd be up for giving it a go. There's not really any places to leave notes though just there, it's all mainly shops and private property, no bus shelter either, so I expect anything put up would be taken down pretty quickly. In the meantime I have to go and collect a lamp from BJ now, so I'll keep an eye out while I'm there.

Lol Mandi, any update on this? Have you heard from Phil? What about you Vebe? Seen Tine?

• Advertisement

Hi again roaming_jen :)

No, sorry, no update. But funny that you ask now, because we thought we saw Phil in Westfield Bondi Junction 2 weeks ago! We were looking at some promo cars parked in there, when we thought we saw him walking in. He appeared to be heading our way too! Suddenly an assistant working on the car promo started speaking to us, and the by the time we'd said "thanks but no thanks", "Phil" was gone. Lucky he was wearing a red shirt, because then we saw him on the escalator going up to the food hall. So we raced off after him! When we reached the food hall, he had stopped and was on his phone. But it wasn't him. Both hubby and I made eye contact just to be sure, but it was someone else. :(

It got us thinking, in light of Vebe seeing Tine earlier this year, that wouldn't it be funny if he was living right here in the Bondi Junction area all this time, and we'd never run into him!

I will keep you posted of course if anything does happen. :)

Oh and also, if anyone does have any info or questions and would rather talk to me in private, please feel free to PM me. All correspondence will be in the strictest confidence, if that's what you'd prefer. Just in case anyone feels they'd rather talk to me privately, that's all. :)

And it's hello again from me, but nothing new to report here either. As I said before, I'm over at the junction about once a week, and keeping a look out. Quite interesting really, earlier on I'd be there for the shops or whatever, and not really paying attention to who else was around. I'm a bit more alert now, and in these last 7-8 months have run into several people I knew from sometime ago, including a former work mate from London in the 90s, who it turns out has now lived in Australia and the BJ area for the last 15 years! Prior to that I rarely saw anyone I knew, despite going over there for years! Yet these people were probably around and about back then, just I never noticed.

So, yeah, totally keep a look out for Phil in future though, you never know, he might be living right on your doorstep so to speak!

And Tine, if you are reading this, and I walked passed you before; sorry :$

Say Mandi, when's your anniversary anyway, must be close by now?

Hi VeBe, thanks for the update! I look forward to hearing any news that might help us find Phil :)

It's interesting what you say about being alert. It's 3 weeks since we thought we saw "Phil" at Bondi Junction, and after that we resolved to keep more of look out while out and about, anywhere really.

Since then I've seen quite a few more people I know of than before, and that includes an old work mate from 10 years ago. She said she saw me about 6 months ago, but I walked right passed her (haha, in one of my at the shops sort of dazes no doubt!). How embarrassment!! :|

Our anniversary was actually in July just gone, but the party we're planning will be this January. A few of the wedding guests live overseas now, so holding it in early January means they can schedule family trips home for Xmas at the same time.

Plus it gives us a bit more time to locate Phil. We've reserved a couple of slots for him, on the off chance he comes to light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 magoonosee

First up, a BIG thanks to Niamh and the admin team. I had a real job getting this account set up, I tried joining during the recent DDOS attack, couldn't get my login to work, or get activation emails to arrive, and then on top of that my webmail went on the blink for days in the middle of all! :( But, 2 weeks later, I'm here now!

So, yeah, anyways, hi MandiT, sorry in advance that I can't help you with finding Phil :(, BUT I was at the fine establishment that is the Tea Gardens Hotel during the time period of your interest, and I did know a certain beautiful blonde feisty young Irish lass who was working there! You see like other people I get onto google every now and then to see if I can find out what happened to people I once knew from those days. Look, I'll cut to the chase and say that I had a MASSIVE crush on the aforementioned girl. But she was out of my league, even if she was the very down to earth girl next door, and not the next Miranda Kerr in the making, or should I say Kirsten Dunst, since her very name has been spoken here before!

Ok, so, I say she was out of my league, but the truth is she just wasn't into me as much as I was in her :(. It didn't stop me trying for her because I was well blind to that glaring realisation at the time. And I was a spelt in capital letters D-A-G! Do you know I used to sit at the bar of the Tea Gardens, late on a Saturday night, reading a book!! How bad is that? I read novels in the boisterous old Tea Gardens on rowdy Saturday nights like I was an old man in an neighbourhood pub on a Sunday afternoon! Did you ever notice me MandiT? I must have stood out like a sore thumb :rolleyes:.

Well of course you're all right, I wasn't REALLY reading those books, well I was a bit, but all that time I was bidding my time, waiting for the best time to make my make or break move on the blonde Irish lass. But would I wait until what any other sane person would think was the right time, as in a quiet time? OH NO, NOT ME!!! Naturally I waited until anything but the best time, and make my case for the girl to be my girlfriend one Saturday night, when they were at their busiest! :o There I was going for it while she was trying to serve other customers who I magically thought couldn't see or hear a thing I was saying and doing when they WERE RIGHT BESIDE ME!! :o to make it worse, after she had already very gracefully declined my offer, I sort of kind of pleaded with her right there in the bar on a Saturday night with @#$#% knows how many dozens of people looking on :o Can you believe it?

It's fair to say I learned some harsh lessons about life very quickly and I'm cool recounting this story by the way because this is also happens to be an anonymous public forum!! :D. I felt bad bad bad about it back at the time but it was a long time ago now. I didn't do myself any favours being so public about it. I learned to be more discrete later on. To her credit the blonde lass was totally dignified about the whole thing, she never got angry, she just politely kept saying no. Look, I moved on, settled down, happily married, with a family, and probably buy coffee at the same cafe as half of you here :D, except you'll never know who I am :p.

Well this thread has been edumacational I must say, the lass in question had her eye on someone there present! I should have known! :eek:

If the aforementioned blonde Irish lass is around Boards.ie, I'd love to hear how ya. Are you still living in Sydney or Bondi Junction? It sounds like it! Please say hello if you are around! :D

• Advertisement

Mr Magoo! WOW. Just WOW!! What a story!! I think I'm lost for words!!

It's too bad it wasn't Tine we were looking for, more people seem to know of her than Phil!

I mean if you had asked me for advice on how to approach a girl working in a busy bar, I would have said wait until it's as quiet as possible, and I remember that happening (quiet times at the Tea Gardens even on a busy Friday or Saturday night, not you speaking to her that is) but you live and you learn hey?

I don't know for sure if Tine still lives here, but @Vebe saw her in Bondi Junction about a year ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean she still lives here, she might have been visiting. It's too bad Vebe wasn't able to talk to her.

I think he gets pings when this thread updates, so maybe he'll report in with an update.. :)

BTW, we had our anniversary party the other week. Phil was the only wedding guest we couldn't trace or contact :(. Still, it'd be great to hear from him if he, or someone he knows, stumbles upon this thread in the future! :)

I don't remember anyone sitting in the Tea Gardens reading books, were you there most nights, or only sometimes?

PS: I had some trouble logining in also, whenever I tried to post this, I was asked in login again?!?

Hey Magoonosee, quite a story, I doubt I could retell that, even behind the anonymity of a discussion forum! Tell you what though, I do remember someone sometimes sitting at the bar reading books, and don't get me wrong, as it was a little unusual for Saturday nights. Did you wear glasses, and have a short back and sides sort of haircut? I was thinking you might have been reading while waiting for friends to arrive, but not the easiest time or place for reading books I thought :)

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to find Phil, Mandi. If I'd been a bit more with it the day I saw Tine at Bondi Junction, maybe things might have turned out differently. I was having a four way brain snap when I saw her though. I was on the phone to a friend in Europe, and we'd been playing telephone tag for the last week or so, but needed to discuss a serious property issue. I was also late to meet someone else, and then when I saw Tine, for the first time in 15 years, having only asked about her here a few days earlier, I think my brain circuits overloaded (and it doesn't take much for that to happen!).

It seems I was babbling incoherently, my friend was asking why I was saying things like "I don't know if it's her, but it might be, her eyes look the same". I don't even remember saying that! Dufus or what. I think I was out of it for days after, I've just re-read the posts here I made at the time, I can't think why I wrote what I did now.

Also, she was alone. I said "not exactly alone". I think I was trying to be metaphorical. I work as a writer so maybe that's why.

Coincidentally, I had been called up for jury duty that week, and was thinking I'd not be to focus at all on the case after that. As it happened, my panel was called into a trial room, a fraud matter, but my juror number wasn't called, so I missed making the jury. Just as well on that occasion I think!

Thanks for the thoughts, MandiT. Oh, and I'm sorry you didn't find your friend in time. But as you say, he might come to light one day in the future! :)
    MandiT wrote:
    I mean if you had asked me for advice on how to approach a girl working in a busy bar, I would have said wait until it's as quiet as possible
    Aye, but its one thing to give me advice, another for me to follow it lol!!!
    MandiT wrote:
    I don't know for sure if Tine still lives here, but @Vebe saw her in Bondi Junction about a year ago
    Oh, I'm not sure if I'd want to see her again, I'm still trying to live down the last time lol!!! :D It sounds like she's still in Sydney and that surprised me, I thought she would have gone home years ago!
    VeBe wrote:
    It seems I was babbling incoherently, my friend was asking why I was saying things like "I don't know if it's her, but it might be, her eyes look the same". I don't even remember saying that! Dufus or what.
    Some candour there my friend in an anonymous public forum ;). She obviously hasn't lost her charm after 16 years lol!! :D So, you're a writer? If you ever write a book about this, count me in as a reader! I may even go to the Tea Gardens to read it, if I ever get back over that way!!! :D

Sorry all, I forgot to reply this point yesterday=
    VeBe wrote:
    Did you wear glasses, and have a short back and sides sort of haircut?
    Lol, on my lawyer's advice, I invoke my right under the Fifth Amendment not to answer, on the grounds I may incriminate myself!! Lol, but seriously sir, good memory.
    VeBe wrote:
    and don't get me wrong, as it was a little unusual for Saturday nights
    Lol, I got some weird looks, but what can I say, I needed an excuse, any excuse, to be at the Tea Gardens on a Saturday night!!! What could be better than a chance to read books!!! :D

I tried to login a week ago, but couldn't for some reason, and I haven't been able to get back here since.
    VeBe wrote:
    If I'd been a bit more with it the day I saw Tine at Bondi Junction, maybe things might have turned out differently.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I think I was as surprised as you to find out Tine is/might be still in the area. Besides, she mightn't have even known Phil, let alone where he is now. Like I said before, it's possible I've walked right her at the shops, assuming she has been local all this time, and not even noticed, though I very much doubt she'd know me from a bar of soap!

Funny that story about jury duty!! ;)

Mr Magoo! I told hubby about you, and he too remembers seeing someone reading at the bar. Apparently he pointed you out to Phil, who said something like, 'oh yes, it's a very Irish thing!' So maybe not so weird after all?!?!

MandiT wrote:
    Apparently he pointed you out to Phil, who said something like, 'oh yes, it's a very Irish thing!'
    Lol, Phil would know, by the sounds of it!! ;) Either you're very Irish by sitting in crazy busy pubs on Saturday nights reading books, or chatting up Ireland's finest lasses!! :D

Do you still go to the Tea Gardens these days MandiT? May be we should organise a reunion, in which we all meet each other for the first time in real life, sometime there Lol :D

A reunion? At the Tea Gardens? I suppose that could be arranged? Somehow. @Vebe, what do you say to that? :)

A reunion of people who've never met, but were at the same place, at the same time, years ago? I like it! I'm not sure if this fits in with the timeframe anyone else had in mind, but I'll be in Sydney later in the week, and could drop by the TGs for a quick one, a VB of course, this Thursday at around 9:30PM. Not exactly a family friendly time I know, especially on a school night, but I'll be in the usual place, main downstairs bar. They seem to discourage sitting at the actual bar these days, but I'll be as close to it as I can. We can always arrange another time, but if you're about on Thursday, you know where to find me, for half an hour or so, at least :) PM me for contact deets if you want.

Tomorrow night? You're keen! But it sounds like you'll be going passed anyway. We might be able to get there, it's 50/50 at the moment, we're having dinner at Coogee at 7pm, but if we're back in BJ by 9:30pm give or take, we'll sure poke our heads in the door downstairs.

From memory it's normally pretty quiet in there on a Thursday at that time, if we think we see you, we'll say hi. If that doesn't work, I'll PM you through boards, so check your alerts Thurs night! :)

Lol Vebe, I didn't mean right away, I thought it would take months & months to arrange something like this, even if there is beer involved!! :D But it sounds like you were going to be there anyway. I gotta get myself back over County Bondi way one of these days first!! ;) When I know when that might be, I'll let you know, and we can fix something up!! :D

• Advertisement

Hi Vebe, a bit late getting back to you on this. Obviously we weren't able to make it last week, but we should sure try for another time. Let' see how things go! :)

No problems there Mandi, it was a long shot at such short notice. What are you going to do now that your anniversary has been? Will you keep looking for Phil? He'll probably come to light now that's too late, it seems to be the way these things work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Have any of you tried using Facebook?

@VeBe, well we've been looking this long, so it wouldn't hurt to keep trying. It sure would be great to reconnect with Phil if we could, even though it's too late for the anniversary now.

It could be someone who knows him stumbles upon this thread some time in the future, or maybe something else will come along.

You might even run into Tine again, so maybe she'd know something. :)

@Catbear, we sure did, and many other places too (I went into this a bit in some of my first posts here) but had no luck. At the time we knew Phil he said he wasn't much of a "computer person", so that might explain why there's no trace of him online today.

We looked at FB profiles that matched his name as best we could, but could only see very limited personal info sometimes. We tried messaging a couple of people we thought might be him, but again no luck.

We don't have enough info about the staff we knew of to do FB searches, we only knew one or two of them by first name only, but @VeBe saw one of the girls, Tine, in Bondi Junction about a year ago, so it's possible she still lives locally.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who once worked at the Tea Gardens who might know staff from 15 years ago?? :) I get the feeling there couldn't be any more than 2 degrees of separation from some of these people! :)

I still reckon you should leave a note at whatever bus stop that you saw Tine. She's about the only person there's any sort of link to I reckon. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing!

Hmm, yes, you may have a point @roaming_jen. But left of centre, or what? I know, and understand, reservations @VeBe might have doing that, chasing women who are presumably married, or being seen to, isn't a practise I condone either. ;)

@VeBe, I've just sent you a PM about that bus stop. It'd be quite close to the shops wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drywine

Hi Mandi. I once knew someone called Phil, he was Irish, and we knew him at the Tea Gardens in 2000. As we recall it, he left Australia in about September 2000, around the time your friend left I think. We don't have direct contact info for him, but we know heaps of people who are in Ireland who knew him here, and might know where he is now! You said you don't have a photo of him (nor do we) but do have a general description of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drywine

Hi Vebe. What happened with you and the girl in the bar? If you both liked each other then, and both still do now, what the flip-flop went wrong? Don't mind me asking personal questions or anything, but your story piqued my interest!! :D

• Advertisement

Hey drywine, thanks for the message! It's too late to invite Phil to the anniversary party we had planned (it was back in January!), but it'd still be awesome if we could contact him! :)

Very briefly our Phil was on the taller side, towards 6feet or 180cm, but not quite, with short brown hair. Are we on the right track so far?? Obviously having no photo complicates matters, which is unfortunate.

Advertisement