Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anyone who has an issue with sending their child to school without nuts in their lunch need to seriously get a grip on reality .
    Feed them nuts for breakfast and dinner and supper and in between if you wish . They will be grand without a nut for a few hours . Honestly they will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They will be grand without a nut for a few hours . Honestly they will

They might go nuts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sunflower butter is a decent nut free alternative if they really can't go without for a few hours. On a sandwich you probably couldn't even tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm saying if you are Irish - as in all your forebears lived here going way back, you just simply should not be allergic to nuts, or milk for that matter. Nobody in Southern China is allergic to rice. It's puzzling that such freakish Irish kids exist and it is doubly puzzling that it all happens in just the last decade or two.

I was schooled in the 80s and 90s. In primary 200 kids with me. 600 in secondary. Wider circle of peers out of school in clubs etc. easily another 200. Not one person in those groups (stat. significant sample size of 1000) had any kind of reaction to eating nuts. This is new stuff here. Why?

Going to have call a load of smelly bull here unless you can back it up. I know people in the 70's 80's 90's who have been lactose intolerant and had nut allergies. Was not called allergies in the 70's and 80's but what we know now they had them. Just because people in your are did not have an allergy (that you know of) does not mean there was not a number of people with them.

There is a lot of troll/ignorant entitled people on this thread who seem to want to rebel against something just because they want to be "seen to fight the man" or it will now make them think. Some may be the same who want wipes banned because they did not want to have a thought now where do I put this the toilet or a bin

Edit: For those who say nuts are healthy well yes but watch your portion size as they are high in unsaturated fats. Some nuts such as cashew nuts and macadamias are high in saturated fats and could cause high cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Went to school with someone who had a peanut allergy in the 80s.

Im flabbergasted at the ignorance begin shown here. It's not a case of "there were no peanut allergies in my day". You're just not that observant. Nor is it a case that an allergy is a minor inconvenience like a cold. In a large proportion of cases it can be lethal, especially in kids.

Some astoundingly stupid and myopic posts in this thread.

I'm afraid if you believe that either of the above is the case you are quite simply a moron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

you keep telling me im flinging kids into schools with lunchboxes full of nuts to try to kill other kids. for the record i am not doing this and im asking you to stop telling me what you imagine about me. its very boring.

you should imo stop with the hysterics and the projection and answer the very real question arising as a result of your statements.

you think sending kids with dangerous allergies into a school environment is a good thing

you think that everyone else is responsible 100% for ensuring that the school policy of no nuts isnt breached.

you think that the other parents should be held accountable in the event of an incident

this is all on record in this thread.

im asking you what consequences you would like to see befall the parent of another child who overlooks or makes a mistake in packing their own childs lunch, and this results in a child being harmed.

simple question

An allergy can be easily managed if precautions are in place.

If you send your child to a school with a ban policy you are agreeing to abide by the rules.

If you don't want to agree by the rules don't send your children to that school.

Every child has the right to an education.

If a parent persistently breaks the ban, knowing full well there is a nut allergy child in the class and a child dies. I would be expecting an inquiry consequences I don't know I'm not legally trained.

Personally I wouldn't want a child's death on my hands.

if a person inadvertently, once does so with serious consequences?

simple question tbh. you seem not to be able to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

harr wrote: »
    I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
    The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.

I was just thinking thats nuts ... It really is insane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's not a case of can't. You are putting strict adherence to a rule on an ethical plane above saving a life. No Chemist is going to be prosecuted for ignoring a rule and saving a child's life.

Nice victim blaming there.

You are working with hindsight. The people in that setting cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

An allergy can be easily managed if precautions are in place.

If you send your child to a school with a ban policy you are agreeing to abide by the rules.

If you don't want to agree by the rules don't send your children to that school.

Every child has the right to an education.

If a parent persistently breaks the ban, knowing full well there is a nut allergy child in the class and a child dies. I would be expecting an inquiry consequences I don't know I'm not legally trained.

Personally I wouldn't want a child's death on my hands.

Hang on, what about parents who send their kids to a school knowing the school had no policy on nuts and sent them to the school anyway only to subsequently demand that every other family and child adapt to their circumstances. I can't believe how some posters are so adamant about what other people should feed their children and have no appreciation what the schools and families are doing to accommodate their children but yet if a child comes into contact with nuts then they want everyone held accountable.

Not one person has considered what other families are doing to accommodate their children other than to call them ignorant. Some gratitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hang on, what about parents who send their kids to a school knowing the school had no policy on nuts and sent them to the school anyway only to subsequently demand that every other family and child adapt to their circumstances. I can't believe how some posters are so adamant about what other people should feed their children and have no appreciation what the schools and families are doing to accommodate their children but yet if a child comes into contact with nuts then they want everyone held accountable.

Not one person has considered what other families are doing to accommodate their children other than to call them ignorant. Some gratitude.

I don't think a parent concerned for the wellbeing of their allergy ridden child is ignorant of the effort required by other parties to support the childs welfare.

Ignorance would be very much in play for those who dont have to deal with it.

I don't think a parent concerned for the wellbeing of their allergy ridden child is ignorant of the effort required by other parties to support the childs welfare.

Ignorance would be very much in play for those who dont have to deal with it.

Really, have you read some of the responses on this thread? Anyone who suggests the opposite to you is considered ignorant, uneducated and should be held accountable.

"The whole world has to accommodate my needs and the needs of my children or I'll sue you"

Ever think that if you are that allergic to nuts you could die, maybe you shouldn't go to places where they might have nuts?

harr wrote: »
    I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
    The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.

Number 163 of things that never happened.

The school can't tell you not to feed children nuts, they don't have the authority to that. They can only ask you to "avoid" giving you children nuts.

How about the kids with nut allergies "avoid" going to school if the allergy is so bad that they could die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

if a person inadvertently, once does so with serious consequences?

simple question tbh. you seem not to be able to answer

Then it's a very tragic accident.

Though I honestly don't know how you could do it, every product has an allergy information list on it.
    Schools send home leaflets with suggested lunch ideas.

But then accidents do happen.

The school can't tell you not to feed children nuts, they don't have the authority to that. They can only ask you to "avoid" giving you children nuts.

How about the kids with nut allergies "avoid" going to school if the allergy is so bad that they could die.

How about the child who’s parents couldn’t be arsed obeying the school rules of no nuts just go to a different school with no rules
    They can chomp on nuts all day there if they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So the kid should get no education because a parent will not follow a rule not who is the one demanding

Really, have you read some of the responses on this thread? Anyone who suggests the opposite to you is considered ignorant, uneducated and should be held accountable.

"The whole world has to accommodate my needs and the needs of my children or I'll sue you"

Ever think that if you are that allergic to nuts you could die, maybe you shouldn't go to places where they might have nuts?

Any mentions of suing I saw were anecdotal and people commenting about things they heard. Not what they did.

To me this argument is no different to vaccination. Would you be arguing that a child who couldn't be vaccinated, should not be going to school?

I am actually laughing at adults on this thread stropping about kids being denied nuts in their lunch !!
    My grandchild in Junior Infants was well aware of her little classmates allergies , the kids would mind him and make sure no one had nuts . The four year olds would “ remind “ mammy and daddy not to put nuts on the lunch
    I was reminded the night she slept over not to put Nutella on her lunch ( not that I had any intention of it )
    Thankfully we have a class full of 4-5 year olds with more cop than a few daft posters on here

I keep reading in the 70s 80s blah blah....

Thinking back we didn't have the variety of foods available today. It was for the majority a sandwich with jam or ham or cheese or maybe ham and cheese, sometimes egg or chopped veggies and a flask. There were no biscuits or sweets daily. There was no pasta quinoa noodles just plain sandwich hence not many allergic reactions back then.

• Advertisement

So the kid should get no education because a parent will not follow a rule not who is the one demanding

So everybody in the school has to accommodate one child. Ever hear of home schooling?

To me this argument is no different to vaccination. Would you be arguing that a child who couldn't be vaccinated, should not be going to school?

Sorry but I fail to see the analogy. Are we equating people who think that majority of people should not have to accommodate a very small % of the population to anti vaxers? Judging by the stories on this thread you would think every second child was allergic to nuts.

It’s very simple, if your kid has such a life threatening condition the jeep your kids at home.

If a school asks me to “avoid” giving my children nuts, I’ll ask them to confirm they got proof from a hospital or consultant (not a GP) and then I may consider changing dietary requirements but judging by the parents on here I don’t think it would be appreciated.

khalessi wrote: »
    I keep reading in the 70s 80s blah blah....

Thinking back we didn't have the variety of foods available today. It was for the majority a sandwich with jam or ham or cheese or maybe ham and cheese, sometimes egg or chopped veggies and a flask. There were no biscuits or sweets daily. There was no pasta quinoa noodles just plain sandwich hence not many allergic reactions back then.

You couldn’t be more wrong even if you tried. It’s because of the lack of exposure to nuts that people are allergic and there were very few but allergies in those days. Almost unheard of until the bulldozing parenting generation came along.

So everybody in the school has to accommodate one child. Ever hear of home schooling?

If you have such a bloody issue with your child not getting nuts for lunch take your child out of that school and teach them at home . You could put huge bowl of nuts on the table and let them eat them all day long .
    Problem solved .

But then again I am guessing you have no nut mad child and are only really being a big silly billy and winding people up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Nut allergies are deadly to children who suffer from it.Parents who think their child is entitled to a peanut butter sandwich regardless of others wellbeing are just selfish and ignorant.

Nut allergies are deadly to children who suffer from it.Parents who think their child is entitled to a peanut butter sandwich regardless of others wellbeing are just selfish and ignorant.

There are nuts in many foods not just peanuts. You probably ate some today and didn’t realise which is why the idea of a ban on nuts is ridiculous because it’s impossible to implement which calls into question the allergy in the first place.

Also, if kids are allergic to “peanuts” then in theory they are allergic to pulses like lentils and chick peas but that fact probably goes over most people’s heads.

There are two types of “nut allergies”

1. Sever life threatening allergy and therefore you keep your kids at home

2. An intolerance to nuts and therefore you suck it up and either send your kids to school or keep them at home but don’t expect the school, parents and children to change their dietary requirements because little Saoirse got a rash on his lips and you decided to self diagnose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Yes everyone in the school accommodates one child. Why? because we don't want them to die.... Do you not get that?

You couldn’t be more wrong even if you tried. It’s because of the lack of exposure to nuts that people are allergic and there were very few but allergies in those days. Almost unheard of until the bulldozing parenting generation came along.

Having read your previous posts technically you're full of **** but thanks and I do think that you are just laughing your ass off stirring the pot either that or you really are that ignorant of the reality if you think parents ensuring their children don't die are the bulldozing generation. I genuinely believe you are a **** stirrer as there is no way someone could be so ignorant over so many posts, reading the responses detailing the effect of anaphlaxis on the person and the their family.

Just curious have you ever witnessed someone go into anaphylactic shock? Have you ever had anyone in your family have an serious condition of any sort?If so would you go to the end of the earth to ensure they got the necessary treatment or allowance to ensure they would have to same chance to a life as everyone else or would you just say shag em?

I also get the impression that you yourself havent yet reached full maturity and when you have children you will understand better the issues and I then hope you return to this thread and read all you posted as by then you will realise your ignorance.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you have such a bloody issue with your child not getting nuts for lunch take your child out of that school and teach them at home . You could put huge bowl of nuts on the table and let them eat them all day long .
    Problem solved .

But then again I am guessing you have no nut mad child and are only really being a big silly billy and winding people up !

As I said, there are nuts in many foods but you can go ahead and keep calling me ignorant.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Yes everyone in the school accommodates one child. Why? because we don't want them to die.... Do you not get that?

If the condition is that life threatening then the parents are negligent because there are nuts in many foods which most parents aren’t aware of. If as a parent your child had this condition then you would be aware of this fact but would continue to send your kids into that scenario every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement