Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopathy; the new wallet inspector.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

what you are proposing is very very dangerous. when you dilute a homeopathic remedy you actually make it stronger. you could end up selling something that is too strong and actually make people very ill.

Can't tell if serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doge wrote: »
    You’re making a big assumption there. I know someone who went to see a private homeopath and what they’d received was highly concentrated levels of herbs like ginger etc.. in liquid bottles.

This stuff was so pungent tasting that if you added 20mls to a glass of orange juice , even a pint of it you could still taste it and it was disgusting. I know, I tried it once.
    Needless to say she stopped with the “treatment” as she couldn’t handle the taste.

So there are “genuine” homeopaths out there who aren’t handing out blank placebo pills, and of course there are con artists who do sell placebos with nothing in them.

Of course the big debate is if the “genuine” Homeopaths are con artists too selling something not backed up by science.

But just because we watch a ted video we shouldn’t conclude ALL homoeopaths sell blank pils just because he found some on the market.

that's not homeopathy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kylith wrote: »
    Can't tell if serious...

my work here is done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can tolerate homeopaths but only in small doses.
    We have to be careful not to reduce their numbers in society. If they're diluted enough, they might become more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

_Dara_ wrote: »
    A lot of medicines come from plants. But whether the substance found in plants can get to its intended bodily destination often means a helping hand from science.

Does fruit get a helping hand from science?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

YFlyer wrote: »
    Does fruit get a helping hand from science?

Yes. Breeding programmes, pest control, fertilizer, and endless other scientific helping hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes. Breeding programmes, pest control, fertilizer, and endless other scientific helping hands.

Ah cool, at least you agree science is at least thousands of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

quickbeam wrote: »
    Bad Science by Ben Goldacre should be mandatory reading. It discusses a lot of the same topics here.

You could force every adult in the country to read that book (and I agree, it's excellent) and you would still have a sizeable cohort who would go to their (early, in some cases) graves defending homeopathy. The sad fact of the matter is that you can't use logic and fact to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Harika wrote: »
    It says water has memory, so if you give it something that resembles what you have and dilute it the water will keep this ingredient in memory.

But it conveniently forgets all the p**s and s**t that's been in it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mac1993

1f5983dd-30af-494a-98a2-682c3b6a6963.jpg?impolicy=desktop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Large numbers of doctors in France prescribe this ****e and the taxpayer has to pick up the bill for the pharmacy. I'm not entirely sure if these physicians are dangerous idiots or unscrupulous charlatans but I'll never give one my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You could force every adult in the country to read that book (and I agree, it's excellent) and you would still have a sizeable cohort who would go to their (early, in some cases) graves defending homeopathy. The sad fact of the matter is that you can't use logic and fact to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with.

Nail on the head. Some people would read that book and dismiss it as Mr. Goldacre being a shill for Big Pharma.

Check out the recent controversy with "nutritionist" Olivia Budgen. She said that cancer is your body trying to help you and that you can eat your way healthy by leading a vegan lifestyle. Whilst she got plenty of criticism, she had plenty of support from people who dismissed everyone else as being brainwashed. She also came out with some shíte about "living your own truth" as if science was whatever you believe it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Nail on the head. Some people would read that book and dismiss it as Mr. Goldacre being a shill for Big Pharma.

Just look at the sh*te Kate O'Connell is getting on social media for putting forward a private member's bill that would ban quacks like homeopaths and chiropractors from claiming they can cure chronic and fetal diseases.

There's a near infinite supply of idiots out there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

But it conveniently forgets all the p**s and s**t that's been in it.

because it was not shaken 100! times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Harika wrote: »
    because it was not shaken 100! times
    What happens if you shake it 101 times?

Or 99times?

Does the nonexistent medicine self destruct?

Or 99times?

Then it is not working, ofc. :P Water counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Homeopathy cured me of a debilitating lung condition and the need to constantly take antibiotics and scheduled surgery when all other treatments failed.

Am eternally indebted and quietly laugh at the naysayers.

Well, quietly laughing is better than advising others to treat their serious illnesses with science woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Or 99times?

That would be like crossing the streams...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Large numbers of doctors in France prescribe this ****e and the taxpayer has to pick up the bill for the pharmacy. I'm not entirely sure if these physicians are dangerous idiots or unscrupulous charlatans but I'll never give one my business.
    I used to have an issue with this (and I still do tbh, but-) then I realised that doctors aren't allowed to prescribe Placebonol, and homeopathy may be the next best thing.

That would be like crossing the streams...

that happened to me once in a pub toilet. terrible scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Just look at the sh*te Kate O'Connell is getting on social media for putting forward a private member's bill that would ban quacks like homeopaths and chiropractors from claiming they can cure chronic and fetal diseases.

There's a near infinite supply of idiots out there unfortunately.

That would be the same Kate O'Connell who runs a pharmacy I take it? Big Pharma globally hates homeopathy because more and more people find that it works and it's threatening their monopoly. That's why you see these angry hateful articles in the papers about homeopathy appearing more and more, from people who've never taken it nor had any reason to seek medical assistance.

I wonder if the boul Kate is going to be as forthright in the upcoming referendum about the dangers of the abortion pill. I assume not.

That would be the same Kate O'Connell who runs a pharmacy I take it? Big Pharma globally hates homeopathy because more and more people find that it works and it's threatening their monopoly. That's why you see these angry hateful articles in the papers about homeopathy appearing more and more, from people who've never taken it nor had any reason to seek medical assistance.

I wonder if the boul Kate is going to be as forthright in the upcoming referendum about the dangers of the abortion pill. I assume not.

homeopathy is quackery. its a placebo at best. nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Think you post belongs in CT forum. Big pharma do a lot of good, not they make lots of money but they are responsible for curing a lot of the world's ill's and we are living longer than ever in part thanks to some of their drugs that they have developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The sad fact of the matter is that you can't use logic and fact to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with.
    Big Pharma globally hates homeopathy because more and more people find that it works and it's threatening their monopoly. That's why you see these angry hateful articles in the papers about homeopathy appearing more and more, from people who've never taken it nor had any reason to seek medical assistance.

See?

If by 'work' you mean 'regression to mean' aka 'a lot of stuff gets better on its own', then yes. It works.

Unfortunately it doesn't actually work in the manner of treating things. If it did Steve Jobs probably wouldn't be dead right now.

Big Pharma globally hates homeopathy because more and more people find that it works and it's threatening their monopoly.

Have you ever wondered who produces "homeopathy"? I give you a tip, its the same companies that produce the pills of Big Pharma. homeopathy has become Big Homeopathy already and is a rapidly growing business.
    E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiron
    Revenue €607,8 million (2015)
    Profit €73,9 million (2015)

Q1+Q2 2016 already show an increase to 2015.

That is not a nice apothecary that produces that in he back of a pharmacy for a penny and a dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Hey all you homeopath advocates, I’ve a bag o me ****e for sale, it cures diarrhoea €25 an ounce.

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Hey all you homeopath advocates, I’ve a bag o me ****e for sale, it cures diarrhoea €25 an ounce.

Oh hold on, that’s not how it works. I’ve another bag here, it’s got 10 week old rancid prawns?

Oh hold on, that’s not how it works. I’ve another bag here, it’s got 10 week old rancid prawns?

That cures constipation, not diarrhoea :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh wait though, there has to be magic done to it. Wait a sec, I’ll whip up a bit of magic & spread it all over the rancid little feckers.

Advertisement