Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who change there singers

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

One really interesting band is Journey, because listening to them now, you wouldn't even notice they changed singer since Arnel is such a spot-on vocal doppelganger for Steve Perry it's not even funny. Just compare the two performances:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Pink Floyd. Their original frontman Syd Barrett left the band after their first album to be replaced by a little known singer/guitarist called David Gilmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

KungPao wrote: »
    Foreigner are still going, but with all random people doing the donkey work while one or two original members are still there. Just not the same without that bloke with the perm-mullet.

Mick Jones is the only original member, Kelly Hansen is a much better singer than Lou Gramm (certainly these days) but has only done one album, Foreigner actually changed their singer before but that didn't go so well they had to bring Gramm back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

What about when the singer is the last remaining original member of the band? Leaving the legal arguments out of it (rights to the band name, song writing credits etc), should the singer continue to use the band name, continue as a solo artist or form a new band altogether? I suppose the most famous (or infamous) example of this scenario is Axl Rose and the Guns N Roses name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Azalea wrote: »
    Yes, when Phil Collins took over vocals from Peter Gabriel.

Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
    Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion: in this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

I would say it was more the album And Then There was Three and the hit single Follow You Follow Me in 1977 that sealed Collins vocal involvement with Genesis.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Jefferson Airplane went through a lot of singers, some great and some a bit meh. What a band though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Deep Purple. Ian Gillan and David Coverdale were two fine singers. When Ritchie left they were never the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Azalea wrote:
    Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion: in this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Read this again and pretend you're Patrick Bateman.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Also Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

KungPao wrote: »
    Joy Division/New Order is an interesting one. 1st singer was superior and had character but after he died they went super electro and got super big. Would they have turned into electro gods with Ian Curtis?
    I believe Joy Division would have ended up sounding like New Order anyway. They were already using synths around the time of Closer so there were signs that they were going in that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What bands would not benefit from changing there lead singers ???

I think you use 'their' in this context.

Carry on :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

When the Misfits replaced Danzig with Michale Graves they became a completely different band, but still a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Kev W wrote: »
    When the Misfits replaced Danzig with Michale Graves they became a completely different band, but still a great one.
    I thought they became a very average band living off the Misfits brand. They became more like a franchise.

To me the Misfits ended when Danzig quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I thought they became a very average band living off the Misfits brand. They became more like a franchise.

To me the Misfits ended when Danzig quit.

The fact that I came to know them through the 90s stuff first and then the original stuff may be the difference here.

I'd agree with your description applied to the current incarnation, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Close? He was better. If Tony hadn't been paranoid from years of cocaine use that version of the band could have gone on for years. Dio could not only sing but write songs which Ozzy couldn't.

Sorry I disagree. Sabbath with Ozzy were the greatest Hard Rock group, with Dio they were just another band. And Dio could not write songs like Geezer could back in the Ozzy years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Judas Priest just wouldn't be Judas Priest without Rob Halford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Strumms wrote: »
    How many bands went on to become either equally as good or better / successful having changed their lead singer for someone else.... It just doesn't work.

huh?

Have you ever heard of Iron Maiden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Guns n Roses is a strange one where the lead singer got rid/alienated the rest of the band an then it all went to muc.
    The rest of the band continued on as basically guns n roses with out axl,
    with moderate success trading on
    Slash's name. A perfect example that no band member is bigger than the sum of the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Jefferson Airplane went through a lot of singers, some great and some a bit meh. What a band though!

Jefferson Starship Blows Against the Empire on in the background right now. JA were, in my opinion, the band of the sixties. Some of the early seventies Jefferson Starship and side projects is brilliant as well. Their eighties Starship stuff was pure crap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Any Marillion fans here? I have some sad news for you: Fish left the band back in 1988, and it looks like the new (?) guy - Bogart or whatever his name is - isn't going to step aside any time soon ... :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Links234 wrote: »
    One really interesting band is Journey, because listening to them now, you wouldn't even notice they changed singer since Arnel is such a spot-on vocal doppelganger for Steve Perry it's not even funny. Just compare the two performances:

arnel is an amazing singer hes huge in his native country. I remember going to journey/foreigner in the o2 in 2011 and there were more philopinos there than irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

unjedilike wrote: »
    Read this again and pretend you're Patrick Bateman.
    Zat's ze joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Leftfield made a nice comeback in 2010 using a few different vocalists, although I don't know if Toni Halliday sang the original Orignal live with the band the first time round in 1994/95, but the singer here does a decent enough job at RockNess festival in 2010.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement