Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who change there singers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Yeah, I would have loved to see them. Legend has it that Ray Manzarek went to The Harbour Bar in Bray to see "The Back Doors" play, as he thought they were the best Doors tribute act going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Bob Dylan Band could do with a new vocalist I reckon. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Black Sabbath, tried, and tried, and never could replace Ozzy, Dio was close though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Alice in Chains replaced their singer after the first lad died of a heroin overdose. The transition was very smooth in fairness.

The band will always be associated with Staley though, he was a massive part of their success.

I think the new guy is good and all that but it will never be the same for people who loved AIC in their 90s heyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Van Halen with Dave Lee Roth kicked ass, with Sammy Hagar they sucked balls, don't get me started on Gary Cherone from Extreme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Black Sabbath, tried, and tried, and never could replace Ozzy, Dio was close though.

Close? He was better. If Tony hadn't been paranoid from years of cocaine use that version of the band could have gone on for years. Dio could not only sing but write songs which Ozzy couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm going to say The National without Matt Berninger would be totally different.

While I'm at it...The Bad Seeds without Nick Cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The Doors tried without morrison for a while but just wasnt the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Close? He was better. If Tony hadn't been paranoid from years of cocaine use that version of the band could have gone on for years. Dio could not only sing but write songs which Ozzy couldn't.

Not only that, he was the best singer Rainbow had too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kamelot managed it after Roy Khan left, and he had some of the most incredible pipes going.

Tommy Karevik stepped in and worked out amazingly, in spite of people thinking Kamelot couldn't go on without Khan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Wouldn't be Nine Inch Nails then :) It was always pretty much his solo project anyway with whatever musicians he could drag along as his touring band.

Yep. That was the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Drowning pool have had a few lead singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

The Doors tried without morrison for a while but just wasnt the same.

So they were good then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Radiohead wouldn't be the same if Thom Yorke left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I really wish Billy Corgan would leave the Smashing Pumpkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Bands who change there singers are loosers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Van Halen with Dave Lee Roth kicked ass, with Sammy Hagar they sucked balls, don't get me started on Gary Cherone from Extreme!

DLR is brutal since he came back.

I didn't mind Hagar but the music Eddie wrote was meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very different band with Dio or Ozzy. Ozzy brought something that Dio couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

beauf wrote: »
    Very different band with Dio or Ozzy. Ozzy brought something that Dio couldn't.

Technically wise, Dio had a better voice but I much prefer how Ozzy sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

beauf wrote: »
    Ozzy brought something that Dio couldn't.

Alcoholism?

j/k I like Ozzy an all but Black Sabbath with Dio was just magic, the two albums in the early 80's just had so many great songs.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but Dio was just way better than Ozzy all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I spy a few metal fans but no mention of Tarja leaving Nightwish. They've written some top stuff since but none of her successors sound as good as Tarja did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What bands would not benefit from changing there lead singers ???..

It has worked for some bands changing leads eg Acdc, Fleetwood Mac, iron maiden, van halen, the dubliners and thin Lizzy to a small extent.
    How do you mean benefit? better sales, better critical acclaim? if a lead singer dies new ones are usually less acceptable, sometimes its sentimentality but often its legit. You say it "worked" for the dubliners, worked how? did they get more critical acclaim when Luke Kelly died, not that they even had a single lead singer, of course Ronnie also passed away and I have never heard it said that they are better for it so don't see how it "worked". Same with Thin Lizzy.

I would expect the only bands people would say would benefit are ones they already dislike, or maybe have it in for the lead singer, it did not surprise me to see U2 mentioned. Would have expected oasis & the rolling stones to possibly be there too, I know oasis are split but it would likely mean noel would just takeover vocals, and many despise liam.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I spy a few metal fans but no mention of Tarja leaving Nightwish. They've written some top stuff since but none of her successors sound as good as Tarja did.

Yeah I do agree, Floor Jansen is amazing, and I did like Anette Olzon, but you know what? Marco's the best Nightwish singer ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    Yeah I do agree, Floor Jansen is amazing, and I did like Anette Olzon, but you know what? Marco's the best Nightwish singer ;)

When I hear his version of Sleeping Sun I might agree, but until then, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

sheesh wrote: »
    genisis ummmm
    Yes, when Phil Collins took over vocals from Peter Gabriel.

Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
    Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion: in this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Something else I was thinking of, rather than changing singer, the band Versailles split and most of the members just straight away formed a new band with a new singer, Jupiter. I think that worked out rather well, as Jupiter can stand on their own and you don't really get the issue of constantly comparing the new singer to the old, even though it's practically the same band.

Still kinda sad I never got to see Versailles live :(

^ Only in Japan. And I ****ing love them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Joy Division/New Order is an interesting one. 1st singer was superior and had character but after he died they went super electro and got super big. Would they have turned into electro gods with Ian Curtis?

Van Halen were better with Roth. No contest.

I saw "Nirvana" play a while back on TV with different singers for each song...terrible stuff. Cobain was the essence of the band and sound.

Foreigner are still going, but with all random people doing the donkey work while one or two original members are still there. Just not the same without that bloke with the perm-mullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Haven't heard much from The Glitter Band lately.

Perhaps a new frontman could put them top of the hit parade again.

Advertisement