Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shannon radar down again.

• 02-08-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Shannon radar seems to be having it's annual vacation again.

It's down now for 24 hrs+ and has been having intermittent outages over the past few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

How can the Airport operate without radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Stanford wrote: »
    How can the Airport operate without radar?

The weather radar is down, they still have aircraft radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

OK thanks for clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still down. Thunderstorms possible tomorrow in area covered.

For a 1st world nation its pathetic to have 1 functioning radar for a country our size

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

At least they could put a message up by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Comhrá

ME uses the radar display for the entire country for their home page.

https://www.met.ie/

Leaving it up with so much coverage missing without even a word of acknowledgement or explanation shows a very careless and unprofessional approach to their website effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For a 1st world nation its pathetic to have 1 functioning radar for a country our size
    To be frank, the Shannon radar is barely of any more use when it is up that when it is down. But my guess, because this is Ireland after all, is that there is vested interests at play here and no doubt a primary reason why we are stuck with such an atrocious radar system.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

can you give us a hypothetical hint as to what the vested interests might potentially be?

• Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    To be frank, the Shannon radar is barely of any more use when it is up that when it is down. But my guess, because this is Ireland after all, is that there is vested interests at play here and no doubt a primary reason why we are stuck with such an atrocious radar system.

Those living in the southwest might want an idea of where precipitation is falling. Instead of blind guesswork, which is the case right now. Farmers for example, whose livelihoods depend on the weather, deserve better.

Those living in the southwest might want an idea of where precipitation is falling. Instead of blind guesswork, which is the case right now. Farmers for example, whose livelihoods depend on the weather, deserve better.
    What about those of us living in the west, and particularly S. Connacht that have to 'guess' even when the radar is up? We seem to be stuck in a constant shadow caused by the Clare hills. I have seen rain pouring here when the radar showed nothing, and vice versa. Shannon Radar is pulp, full stop.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    can you give us a hypothetical hint as to what the vested interests might potentially be?

It's the conspiracy by Dublin to keep the west poor obviously.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    What about those of us living in the west, and particularly S. Connacht that have to 'guess' even when the radar is up? We seem to be stuck in a constant shadow caused by the Clare hills. I have seen rain pouring here when the radar showed nothing, and vice versa. Shannon Radar is pulp, full stop.

I find it pretty good & I use & rely on it far more than most would. The Dark Skies App & Arcus read the radar & are rarely wrong on the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Look at Sat 24 satellite. White is shht n black is good.

Alternatively a window facing the direction the clouds are coming from.

Shannon must be useful to UK Met.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Shannon rainfall radar is still not showing on ME page. It is extraordinary that such a major part of their weather apparatus can be out of action (and for such a long time) and they don't feel any need to inform the public about it.

I would of thought that the EU would help with installing a state of the art radar. It has to be of benefit to the UK & countries like France.

I agree that Shannon radar (and another one in the north west would be useful) is of interest to other European countries. It might even be that they are already contributing financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

ecowise wrote: »
    Shannon rainfall radar is still not showing on ME page. It is extraordinary that such a major part of their weather apparatus can be out of action (and for such a long time) and they don't feel any need to inform the public about it.

Ministerial Responsibility for Met Eireann lies with the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government, i.e. Eoghan "the failure" Murphy.

Given his effectiveness with other areas of his portfolio, I'm rather surprised that the Dublin Airport rainfall radar is still working!

Discodog wrote: »
    It has to be of benefit to the UK & countries like France.

Why? are you expecting a post-Brexit war to break out?:eek:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Comhrá

ME has finally gotten round to telling us the Shannon radar is down.

From their Facebook page:
    Met Eireann
    42 mins ·

The Met reann rainfall radar at Shannon Airport is currently not operational due to a technical issue. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. It is under service and due to resume operation this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Really, really missed it today. Didn’t realise how much I rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Comhra wrote: »
    ME has finally gotten round to telling us the Shannon radar is down.

From their Facebook page:

It's been giving trouble for years so at this stage I'd stop repairing the bloody thing and just replace it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Why did Met Eireann tell us their radar was down nearly a week late?

Did they hope that over 250,000 people who look at the weather on their phones wouldnt notice.

Sadly, by being insulated from their users they are institutionally complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

This is true.

The radar is so important in Ireland, it could be a much better product than it currently is for mass usage. It's not just a case of meeting basic needs, there should also be some thought leadership in the products provided rather than a tick the box. The outdoors as a resource both for entertainment and for work is enhanced by a good radar product.

sumtings wrote: »
    This is true.

The radar is so important in Ireland, it could be a much better product than it currently is for mass usage. It's not just a case of meeting basic needs, there should also be some thought leadership in the products provided rather than a tick the box. The outdoors as a resource both for entertainment and for work is enhanced by a good radar product.

Plus popular apps like Dark Skies & Arcus rely on the radar.

In response to an email ME have said that a major malfunction occurred when the magnetron was inserted in a sub-unit of the radar system. They are awaiting a response from the German manufacturer, Leonardo. The time to repair is indefinite but should be this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

They have two categories of customers:

us (the great unwashed, who don't pay them directly for their services)

and

them (commercial entities who pay for their services).

Understandably, ME gives "them" a better level of service than it gives "us" :(

What I fail to understand is why an Organisation which has regular daily access to the national media (TV and Radio) cannot be bothered to inform its listeners that an important part of its infrastructure will be out of action for a few days. It really is very poor customer service. ME's Director, Eoin Moran, really needs to pull up his boxers on this one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You'd really miss it. Accuracy from Dublin really drops off at longer range. Torrential rain in Galway ATM but not a thing showing on radar. Shannon really handy for things like timing a walk with the kids etc, knowing you have a window before rain arrives.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    You'd really miss it. Accuracy from Dublin really drops off at longer range. Torrential rain in Galway ATM but not a thing showing on radar. Shannon really handy for things like timing a walk with the kids etc, knowing you have a window before rain arrives.

If you play the animation you can see the point where Dublin picked up that shower - one image literally shows half a shower.

Advertisement