Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

kowloonkev wrote: »
    the 'feckless men' don't get any sympathy which was the point of the original post.

No they get praise heaped on them for doing the most basic of parenting.Whereas the woman who actually rears the kids gets what on from a great height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    perfect combination of WOKENESS ( referring to whiteness - in ireland of all places ) and the politics of envy - accusing the poster of wining the " birth lottery "

grim debating at its leftist worst

Who's debating? It's an opinion thread :)

Struck quite the nerve with it too it seems - you seem quite upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

dubstarr wrote: »
    So,if it doesnt impact you.Why are you so bothered.

the beaut the next town over turn you down did she.

Read the thread title. Spare the moral indgination for another thread or move on.

dubstarr wrote: »
    You have no idea why she has 4 kids by 4 different fathers.Maybe she likes being a single mother and chose it.
    Maybe she was raped,maybe she left an abusive relationship.

Maybe the men spun her lies and left her.

This isn't a debate. Maybe you are in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Dublin is becoming more and more of a ****hole and there is no sentiment towards improving it. We're well on our way to becoming a third world country with rich people sprinkled on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

non EU immigrants are net detractors from the economy , its a well known fact. There are multiple studies to say that kids who grow up in poorer households have worse outcomes. Paying child benefit absolutely encourages certain sections of society to have children for additional income. These are not hard things to comprehend, most of them are pretty obvious.

theres no point in saying we need more people in the workforce in future generations (we do, thats undisputed) and not look at how we can encourage those kids to have the best outcome.

That's really more a soundbite than an economic fact. Kids are hard work and very costly. Nobody in their right mind would have a child for the child benefit payment ffs!

You go place an add on jobs.ie and see can you hire someone even to do the school run for you in return for the princely sum of €150 / month. You won't find many takers and that's just to bring them to school, not to bloody give birth to, provide for and raise them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

That's really more a soundbite than an economic fact. Kids are hard work and very costly. Nobody in their right mind would have a child for the child benefit payment ffs!

You go place an add on jobs.ie and see can you hire someone even to do the school run for you in return for the princely sum of €150 / month. You won't find many takers and that's just to bring them to school, not to bloody give birth to, provide for and raise them!

The state is doing the providing.

They should replace child allowance with a tax credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its not just the 150 a month, its a ticket to a bigger house and to be placed faster, then theres lone parents allowance even with the fella living in the house undeclared, as the first one turns 12-13 they can be left to look after the younger ones while mammy goes boozing, drop them off at 'grannies' once or twice a week to have them fed for free, let them sit there living off Iceland chicken nuggets and the tv can do the babysitting for you.

600 a month for 4 kids + free gaf + furnishing allowance + 38 euro per kid per week lone parents + 203 a week dole.

505 euro a week and your expense is 30 quid a week in rent, if you even choose to pay the council. Thats a handy income.

its not just the 150 a month, its a ticket to a bigger house and to be placed faster, then theres lone parents allowance even with the fella living in the house undeclared, as the first one turns 12-13 they can be left to look after the younger ones while mammy goes boozing, drop them off at 'grannies' once or twice a week to have them fed for free, let them sit there living off Iceland chicken nuggets and the tv can do the babysitting for you.

600 a month for 4 kids + free gaf + furnishing allowance + 38 euro per kid per week lone parents + 203 a week dole.

505 euro a week and your expense is 30 quid a week in rent, if you even choose to pay the council. Thats a handy income.

Not to mention the societal impact of 4 neglected kids with no respect for hard work or their community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

This one mightn't be popular.

If Pavee Point comment every time a traveller is hard done by, then they should also comment (and condemn the behaviour) when travellers misbehave. Otherwise they should be refunded.

RTÉ 1 should only be for news, media, weather, Crimecall, presidential debates, Dáil broadcasts etc. and covered by general taxation. RTÉ 2 should be for Fair City, Killinascully etc. and should be a paid subscription service. Abolish the TV licence.

If women have the option to opt out of motherhood (abortion on demand) then fathers should be offered the equivalent, ie, opting out of all his fatherhood rights and responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dublin is becoming more and more of a ****hole and there is no sentiment towards improving it. We're well on our way to becoming a third world country with rich people sprinkled on top.

You should have seen Dublin in the 80s

That is your mistake right there. You are looking at it through your own eyes and mores.

There are some women out there and getting pregnant is simple and living off the state is the only way of life known to them. Hell of a lot easier than say, doing well at school, turnng up every day to class, studying and sitting exams and getting a decent job and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

No one in their right mind would think there are women out there getting pregnant for benefits. If they weren't we would see so many in their 20s with 2/3 kids

That is your mistake right there. You are looking at it through your own eyes and mores.

There are some women out there and getting pregnant is simple and living off the state is the only way of life known to them. Hell of a lot easier than say, doing well at school, turnng up every day to class, studying and sitting exams and getting a decent job and career.

There is always a cohort who will try to milk any system, it's unavoidable. I'd say that 1 or 2 fat cats sitting comfortably at the top are helping themselves to more than all the professional baby makers combined.

These people probably do exist but i doubt they are anything like as plentiful as some people would have you believe.

I am in the UK and we have two kids (under 8). Myself and the wife are both self employed. Although she works part time from home. The wife receives child benefit into her account every two weeks I think.

Guess what...because I earn over £60k pa 100% of the child benefit received is added to my annual tax return and taxed. The net effect is that it is all clawed back by the Gov. Every penny.

Hilariously, you cannot stop the payment or elect not to receive it. So the wife gets it and I pay it all back through income tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It's absolutely not easier. People who do well at school, turn up every day to class and end up with decent, well-paying jobs tend to lead easier, more comfortable (and usually longer) lives than those who lack guidance and make foolish life-defining choices when they're young.

.anon. wrote: »
    It's absolutely not easier. People who do well at school, turn up every day to class and end up with decent, well-paying jobs tend to lead easier, more comfortable (and usually longer) lives than those who lack guidance and make foolish life-defining choices when they're young.

"They" perceive it as easier as they do not know any better.

Let's be clear. We are talking about a minority that milk system and jump on the housing list bandwagon. Usually 2-3 generations in the same boat. Vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

.anon. wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more.

That sense of fulfilment and purpose..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I remember this vile woman who use to drink in the pub I drank in, who I once overhead whilst having a smoke outside tell her friend, how her 18 year old daughter getting pregnant will mean she will definitely get the empty flat around the corner from her.

It was almost as her offspring had achieved something.

The same woman once complained about the foreigners coming here taking all the jobs quite loudly in the bar, she had 2 children ...well adult offspring on the dole.

I asked her, would her kids work in mcdonalds or the sh1t jobs those foreigners are doing as someone has to do them.
    She went silent.

This is the mindset of some people in this country.

I remember this vile woman who use to drink in the pub I drank in, who I once overhead whilst having a smoke outside tell her friend, how her 18 year old daughter getting pregnant will mean she will definitely get the empty flat around the corner from her.

It was almost as her offspring had achieved something.

The same woman once complained about the foreigners coming here taking all the jobs quite loudly in the bar, she had 2 children ...well adult offspring on the dole.

I asked her, would her kids work in mcdonalds or the sh1t jobs those foreigners are doing as someone has to do them.
    She went silent.

This is the mindset of some people in this country.

I went to school with atleast 2 girls who's entire life plan was pop out a few kids, get a free gaf. Both of them achieved it spectacularly. Now 30 years old the kids are just about old enough to take care of the younger ones, so the two of them (mates) lamenting the closure of pubs and clubs on Facebook because they could go back out and be 'session hunz' again. Not that they weren't in the pub every single weekend anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Don't know if this is unpopular on boards but I actually like the 'faux' South Dublin accent that you here a lot in Donnybrook, Blackrock, etc.. Many people seem to hate the 'D4' accent which has elements of American.

I'd rather listen to someone at least put in effort to sound like they've gone through elocution lessons that someone that says "What's the story bud?" in the harshest inner city accent they can

Don't know if this is unpopular on boards but I actually like the 'faux' South Dublin accent that you here a lot in Donnybrook, Blackrock, etc.. Many people seem to hate the 'D4' accent which has elements of American.

I'd rather listen to someone at least put in effort to sound like they've gone through elocution lessons that someone that says "What's the story bud?" in the harshest inner city accent they can

id agree its better than the inner city accent, but at the same time an Irish child calling their mother 'mom' has failures for parents as far as I'm concerned. Too much American youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anything is better than a thick chav Dub accent..

But the marble mouth D4 contrived accent sounds retarded!!

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a long list above the simplistic "getting a free house and more on the scratcher".

It's no so long ago that having a kid out of wedlock got you a "free house for life" in a lovely laundry - and yet it still happened.

People beget other people it's nature in action ffs! We've been doing it since long before there was child benefit payments, free houses, long before there were any houses in fact.
    Jabstone wrote: »
    Most wives don't fancy their husband, the men they did fancy would only shag them so they had to settle for a dependable man who was unappealing sexually. This is why so many wives fake headaches to avoid sex.

You call it chore sex, i just call it getting laid:cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Most wives don't fancy their husband, the men they did fancy would only shag them so they had to settle for a dependable man who was unappealing sexually. This is why so many wives fake headaches to avoid sex.

Hello, the 1950s called and said you’re late getting back.

This is nothing to do with the 1950's. Women have always found most men unappealing sexually. Biology hasn't changed, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap.

PS A time period doesn't have the ability to make phone calls

Yeah the troll is strong in this one. Bye.

Say hello to your hand, sorry “girlfriend”.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I am in the UK and we have two kids (under 8). Myself and the wife are both self employed. Although she works part time from home. The wife receives child benefit into her account every two weeks I think.

Guess what...because I earn over £60k pa 100% of the child benefit received is added to my annual tax return and taxed. The net effect is that it is all clawed back by the Gov. Every penny.

Hilariously, you cannot stop the payment or elect not to receive it. So the wife gets it and I pay it all back through income tax.

That sounds about right. If one income is over 60k (over twice the uk median wage) then you don’t need child benefit. And that’s not even including your partner’s income.

Don’t be jealous of someone getting a small few bob. They will never have all the things you’d be able to buy on 60k pa.

Why are you being hostile?

Perhaps what I'm saying reminds you of how your own wife tries to avoid having sex with you. It's the only reason I can think of that would make you resort to insults.

I’m a woman.

And you’re very very VERY wrong and have issues towards women presumably due to the fact that you’re not getting any.

And projecting your negative views into ALL women.

That sounds about right. If one income is over 60k (over twice the uk median wage) then you don’t need child benefit. And that’s not even including your partner’s income.

Don’t be jealous of someone getting a small few bob. They will never have all the things you’d be able to buy on 60k pa.
    60K minus a whole pile of tax minus a whole pile of unreceived benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

60K minus a whole pile of tax minus a whole pile of unreceived benefits.

Yeah, I’m always amused by this. Is tax a surprise to some people? Income is subject to tax. The more income the more tax and the more is left over to enjoy. Good deal, eh?

If you could choose between a median wage and low tax or a high wage which comes with higher tax and fewer benefits, which would you choose?

Advertisement