Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Do we know it was all women who complained?

It clearly wasn’t all women, unless Paddy is a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I was expecting something bad/crude but the most offensive thing in that advert was the woman's accent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

this isn't cancel culture, this is state censorship. Much worse.

No it's not, the ASAI isn't a state body, it's described on their website as "the independent self-regulatory body set up and financed by the advertising industry". This is censorship by a tiny vocal minority of busybodies who have nothing better to be doing with themselves.

I was expecting something bad/crude but the most offensive thing in that advert was the woman's accent.

She reminds me of scary spice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Zaph wrote: »
    No it's not, the ASAI isn't a state body, it's described on their website as "the independent self-regulatory body set up and financed by the advertising industry". This is censorship by a tiny vocal minority of busybodies who have nothing better to be doing with themselves.

Same as cancel culture then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Suppose the lefties are offended by everything these days.... Offended that others are offended by something that actually doesn't offend the offendees......

This is the thing in Ireland we were brought up to be embarrassed by such and parents never talked about health/sexual health or just girl problems if you will....

I suppose now as we have gender neutral, fluid and such as those defining themselves as a bush or tree or a whale or something then all us other morons have to put up with it.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't like the ad myself and not because of the content, but the cult like setting that it's in.
    this isn't cancel culture, this is state censorship. Much worse.

How is it state censorship, when this is the result of public complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

So I watched it. Did I find it problematic? Did I f**k. If you indeed found it "problematic" you really need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Get Real

Complaints about this ad just goes to show how regressive and patriarchal Ireland still is towards women's issues.

I do think the 80 plus people who complained had little else to be doing. But I don't know how you draw the above conclusion.

You don't know how many men vs women complained.

Ironically, alot of the complaints were that the ad was demeaning to women, which leads me to conclude that women themselves complained. (But again, I don't know the data either so could be wrong)

But based off no data whatsoever, you conclude it's because of a patriarchal attitude to women's issues?

Facts on that please. You have the data and sex of those who complained?

Your presumption it was men behind it, is engaging in generalisation you wouldn't want applied to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Suppose the lefties are offended by everything these days.... Offended that others are offended by something that actually doesn't offend the offendees......

This is the thing in Ireland we were brought up to be embarrassed by such and parents never talked about health/sexual health or just girl problems if you will....

I suppose now as we have gender neutral, fluid and such as those defining themselves as a bush or tree or a whale or something then all us other morons have to put up with it.....

what a rambling ball of ****e.

• Advertisement

Oh and by the way, it's a terrible ad in the sense most are and the fake oh it's a real chat show rubbish....

what a rambling ball of ****e.

Ok hun

I don't like the ad myself and not because of the content, but the cult like setting that it's in.

How is it state censorship, when this is the result of public complaints?

it was banned by the ASAI. I was under the misapprehension that the ASAI was a statutory body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Get Real wrote: »
    I do think the 80 plus people who complained had little else to be doing. But I don't know how you draw the above conclusion.

You don't know how many men vs women complained.

Ironically, alot of the complaints were that the ad was demeaning to women, which leads me to conclude that women themselves complained. (But again, I don't know the data either so could be wrong)

But based off no data whatsoever, you conclude it's because of a patriarchal attitude to women's issues?

Facts on that please. You have the data and sex of those who complained?

Your presumption it was men behind it, is engaging in generalisation you wouldn't want applied to women.
    According to the Irish Times it was mostly women who complained. Women who have internalised misogyny from living in a patriarchal capitalist society.

I never claimed only men or mostly men complained, I said that the complaints stemmed from patriarchal attitudes towards women's issues.

I'm actually offended by the Gillette ad where it made out men to be rapists and pure morons.....

anybody who thinks that banning this ad was completely backward should complain to standards@asai.ie
    maybe if they get more than 84 complaints about the ad being banned they might realise how stupid they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Hopefully my complaint about Claudia Winkleman and her fûcking head and shoulders hair will be successful next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You’re a grown man with a wife and family and an ad about periods is offensive to you?

I bought those new type of tampon a couple of times and I didn’t find them very good. When the ad first aired I thought it was because women were having the same issue as me. It was showing how to “get it up there” correctly. I liked that they made a public information ad about it.

I don’t like that the advertising complaints authority has took a normal female bodily function and deemed it yucky. Grow ****ing up!

I'm inclined to agree about bodily functions: not shaming.
    BUT public taste in this culture does deem some things to be private.

Such as Toilet things: when advertising toilet paper, they don't show diagrams of how to use it - everyone has a bottom, sure: everyone poos. But most people don't want to see bumbums on their telly without warning!
    Kind of the same: it's a private thing.
    Not shameful; private. There IS a difference.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree about bodily functions: not shaming.
    BUT public taste in this culture does deem some things to be private.

Such as Toilet things: when advertising toilet paper, they don't show diagrams of how to use it - everyone has a bottom, sure: everyone poos. But most people don't want to see bumbums on their telly without warning!
    Kind of the same: it's a private thing.
    Not shameful; private. There IS a difference.

the ad didnt show you how to use a tampon. it told you. people are embarrassed enough by words to write a complaint. imbeciles.

Hopefully my complaint about Claudia Winkleman and her fûcking head and shoulders hair will be successful next.

Did you put your complaint letter in your man bag rather than the post box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

I'm actually offended by the Gillette ad where it made out men to be rapists and pure morons.....

that sucks,
    for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Did you put your complaint letter in your man bag rather than the post box?

No, I followed the procedures detailed on the www.asai.ie website. The reason for my complaint is Winkleman is a complete geebag, and she makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Complaints about this ad just goes to show how regressive and patriarchal Ireland still is towards women's issues.

I would bet that the majority of complaints about the ad are from Women.
    Most men, I know anyway, have no issues with menstruation. It is just viewed as another aspect of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The 80 people that complained obviously already knew you have to get them RIGHT UP there

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

The fact it's removed is ridiculous, this country is so backwards, was it ****e, yes, did it need to be removed, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Personally I thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids. It was broadcast when my 9 year old was watching tv - She didn't need to be watching that bollox

That's the lower end of when girls beginngetting periods. It's precisely the kind of information she needs to have. Soon.

The embarrassment is purely from adults who don't know how to talk about these things. The ad wasn't sexual or inappropriate, it just talks about a topic that makes some people feel uncomfortable die to childish attitudes towards a very normal, healthy bodily process.

The bit from Harry Enfield springs to mind: Women, know your place.

The ad as a talk-show was poor alright. I see lots of poor ads and don't feel any need to make a complaint about it.

This is an issue for Karens (male and female Karens).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The fact it's removed is ridiculous, this country is so backwards, was it ****e, yes, did it need to be removed, not at all.

84 complaints in a population of 7 million, and the COUNTRY is backward? Bit of an exaggeration.

Banning the advert will only do something like the Barbara Streisand effect on social media. As shìte and all as it was, we’ll never hear the end of it now.

As for justifications that it showed how to insert a tampon, the idea of inserting a tampon is hardly like putting IKEA furniture together is it? Instructions in the box fecks sake.

I found the advert cringeworthy and disgusting, and yes it was squarely aimed at the Jade Goody level intellect, which was interesting in itself because when she passed away from cervical cancer, numbers of smear tests went up. Fallen now again though -

'The Jade Goody effect has long gone’ as smear test rates hit 20-year low

Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

84 complaints in a population of 7 million, and the COUNTRY is backward? Bit of an exaggeration.

Banning the advert will only do something like the Barbara Streisand effect on social media. As shìte and all as it was, we’ll never hear the end of it now.

As for justifications that it showed how to insert a tampon, the idea of inserting a tampon is hardly like putting IKEA furniture together is it? Instructions in the box fecks sake.

I found the advert cringeworthy and disgusting, and yes it was squarely aimed at the Jade Goody level intellect, which was interesting in itself because when she passed away from cervical cancer, numbers of smear tests went up. Fallen now again though -

'The Jade Goody effect has long gone’ as smear test rates hit 20-year low

Make of that what you will.

The fact it was removed over 84 complaints out of 7 million people, is why the country is backwards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wish people stopped with this Karen nonsense.

I have no desire to complain but this ad rivals starving children ads in its annoyance (for different reasons). I do wonder though why women have to swallow patronising nonsense in the ads. They wouldn't use news presenter/serious jurnalist style because well that's not what us women watch. We are much more interested in shows doing style makeovers and advice what cleaning products to use to have house spotless when husband comes home. It's puke inducing ad and not because of tampon instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The fact it was removed over 84 complaints out of 7 million people, is why the country is backwards imo.

Yeah that just sounds stupid mate tbh. The country isn’t responsible for the actions of 84 people. The ASAI made the decision on the basis of 84 complaints, says fcukall about the attitudes of the rest of the country, only that most people didn’t give a shìte.

Advertisement