Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Now you’re just talking ****e, Paddy. The same ****e your wife has to wash off your boxers every week.

They usually get thrown out the driver window of the Q6. He goes through 3 pairs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

https://youtu.be/JZoFqIxlbk0

If you don't like that ad, this bodyform video will send you over the edge. I think it's brilliant. Shows a much more realistic version of what a lot of women go through. Instead of blue liquid and white tennis outfits....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I thought the manner in which they were conveying the message was the problem, not the subject matter.

Some people just don't do nuance, do they!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got this add on 4OD a lot, so it might have been just the repetition of it as it was shown so often but her voice was grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I was uncomfortable with that ad too and I am not sure I can be totally blamed. I was brought up to not mention periods to other people and products were certainly never discussed. I did a better job with my own daughters but it wasn't always easy for me.
    If people are uncomfortable they are and that's a reality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Just so we know what people are being offended by.

Surely 84 from a population of close to 5 million means almost no one was offended? With those numbers you could get your friends or extended family together and have all advertisements banned.

A nine year old is near enough to getting her period that it should not be that shocking.

Maybe you are uncomfortable watching it with her but at nine its not really a big deal. I haven't seen the ad to be honest it sounds a bit stupid if you can't work out how to use a tampon without an ad then you have bigger problems.

The ad shows the new style of tampon that they added to their range. I couldn’t work out how to use it correctly and the ad showed what you needed to do with the applicator before getting to the “get it up there” stage.

I haven’t bought that type since but plan too and try it out again. That’s the job of advertising right? Get your product to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

This, right here, is the capitalist Patriarchy at work.

come on, he (she, it) is clearly trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SuperS54 wrote: »

Surely 84 from a population of close to 5 million means almost no one was offended? With those numbers you could get your friends or extended family together and have all advertisements banned.

You can be offended and not report something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I really disliked the ad to be honest. Thought it was cringy as hell and hated when it came on. Not sure it needed banning though. I think the message is important but maybe could have been conveyed in a less 1990's crappy talkshow style ad. Just something with a little more thought & effort behind it. It looked like something that was cobbled together in a couple of days rather than something professionals were involved in creating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Cancel culture as strong as ever, are people actually that sad and prudish that an ad like this offends them?

Sad sad people

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

So it's ok to show blood and guts and killing and sex - the more nakedness the better for many men, as far as I can see....but we're not ok with a blue plastic thing and a string being shown on the TV.
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    I think the theory of doubling the number of ads is best, it might desensitise you all a bit.Much the same as endless films full of gore have.
    And don't worry about the 9 year old girl, she will soon know far more and be way more comfortable than you about it all.She will probably be discussing it with her friends in a few short years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's cringe, but informational. Up to the grip OP, up to the grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was uncomfortable with that ad too and I am not sure I can be totally blamed. I was brought up to not mention periods to other people and products were certainly never discussed. I did a better job with my own daughters but it wasn't always easy for me.
    If people are uncomfortable they are and that's a reality of life.

not really justification for banning the ad, is it? should we ban all ads that make you uncomfortable? what a backwards little country we still are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Cancel culture as strong as ever, are people actually that sad and prudish that an ad like this offends them?

Sad sad people
    Cancelling is fine when it's used towards something problematic e.g racist Tweets or misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cancelling is fine when it's used towards something problematic e.g racist Tweets or misogyny.

No....its not

No....its not
    Yes dot dot dot it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm glad it's banned. Not because of the subject or instructions but of the moronic day time tv style presenter and her shouting. Why would they assume the average woman is dim-witted enough to watch that type of daytime tv shows. Or were they assuming only the stupid ones need to be told how to use tampons and tailored the add to their interests? Either way it insulting and assumes their target audience is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's a bit cringe and the northern accent of your one bugs me for reasons I cant elucidate but mostly I just feel bad for the other girl who thought she was getting her big acting break but ended up with no lines and just stupid face gesture. So yes I'm glad Ireland has banned it to save that lady's embarrassment. T'wont make a blind bit of difference over here in the UK though.

This advert was clearly deemed ‘problematic’.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Not when she has a daddy like you to show her how to properly insert a tampon so she doesnt have discomfort. I'm sure you already know the ins and outs (pardon the pun)

Weird flex but ok....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes dot dot dot it is

All it does is create an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Can’t fast forward them on RTE player for example.

Yeah, but the programme won't play when the ads are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

not really justification for banning the ad, is it? should we ban all ads that make you uncomfortable? what a backwards little country we still are.

Please point out to me where I justified or even agreed with banning the ads? I never said that at all.I mentioned that there may be reasons for people's discomfort.
    Should we ban ads that make me uncomfortable? Bit of an unfair question and I am annoyed with the inference that I am backward.
    Maybe you should read a post a little more before you jump to conclusions about the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

SuperS54 wrote: »

Wait, that's what people are offended by?

How absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

FixitFelix wrote: »

Sad sad people

this isn't cancel culture, this is state censorship. Much worse.

This advert was clearly deemed ‘problematic’.
    There is nothing "problematic" about menstruating. The women who reported this commercial are suffering from internalised misogyny. I wonder how many of them are equally outraged about the lack of gender quotas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This, right here, is the capitalist Patriarchy at work.

Uncontrollable-Laughter7.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There is nothing "problematic" about menstruating. The women who reported this commercial are suffering from internalised misogyny. I wonder how many of them are equally outraged about the lack of gender quotas?

If it wasn’t ‘problematic’ it wouldn’t have been banned.

• Advertisement

Do we know it was all women who complained?

Advertisement