Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with neighbours parking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I would ring the Gardai the next time you driveway is blocked and request that the car be towed.

The Gardai have done it for me and it was organised fairly quickly.

Tell the Gardai how long this is going on for, you could take photos each time your driveway is blocked, mention the grinds because its coming up to exam time now so he will have more and more students coming to the door.

I wonder could you find out who his house is insured with, he is running a business from the house so and probably hasnt told his insurance company either.

It sounds like you havent been assertive enough so they arent taking any notice of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Being nice hasn't worked so ramp it up. Don't be afraid to let a few fcuks out...

*Knock door*

"C'mere til I tell you...Every second fcuking day I'm over here because some fcuking eejit keeps parking across my driveway....You tell your visitors to park elsewhere because I've a pain in my fcuking arse coming here to get them to move. One more fcuking car parks there and the garda will be called and I don't give a flying fcuk if it's towed away, clamped or fcuking burned...No more...Do you understand?"

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First night in our new house, back in '91, had to knock in next door to ask neighbour's relation to move his car so I could leave. No problem, "lovely to meet you etc". And so this continued on & off for years. One Saturday morning 6.30am , heading to work & the neighbour himself has my driveway blocked. Long ring of the doorbell, pal says "Oh yeah", not "Oh really sorry about that ". So, one night nearly 10 yrs ago, I went out & very calmly explained ( although underneath I was seething) that this nonsense stopped NOW, I'm not debating, negotiating etc. And it did, until the next time , when I contacted the Gardai, explained the situation etc. They called around, my driveway is no longer blocked but we definitely do not speak to said neighbours. But I don't care.
    One thing I would do prior to contacting the Gardai in this instance though, is take photos every time you're blocked. Build up a portfolio of instances, it's actually an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Guy across from me kept parking on my grass verge. He had 2 cars and wouldn't park in his driveway as it was a sloped driveway. I put stones on the verge, he moved them. I waited until he went out and parked up on his grass verge whenever I got the chance. He soon stopped when his grass became marked like mine.

Block his driveway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

rushfan wrote: »
    First night in our new house, back in '91, had to knock in next door to ask neighbour's relation to move his car so I could leave. No problem, "lovely to meet you etc". And so this continued on & off for years. One Saturday morning 6.30am , heading to work & the neighbour himself has my driveway blocked. Long ring of the doorbell, pal says "Oh yeah", not "Oh really sorry about that ". So, one night nearly 10 yrs ago, I went out & very calmly explained ( although underneath I was seething) that this nonsense stopped NOW, I'm not debating, negotiating etc. And it did, until the next time , when I contacted the Gardai, explained the situation etc. They called around, my driveway is no longer blocked but we definitely do not speak to said neighbours. But I don't care.
    One thing I would do prior to contacting the Gardai in this instance though, is take photos every time you're blocked. Build up a portfolio of instances, it's actually an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

Spot on. If you block their drive, it is the very first thing that will be said if you later call the guards, despite the ratio of them doing it 20 times to your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

topnotch wrote: »
    Spot on. If you block their drive, it is the very first thing that will be said if you later call the guards, despite the ratio of them doing it 20 times to your one.

The Guards ! Ha. They'll get the guys in the lab on it immediately. Hate to tell you but the Gardai are not in the slightest bit interested in this bumfluffery....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No need to be so dismissive. ;)

But how do you get a clamper out at say this time of a Sunday night for example. Or any time as a non council hired person. Just wondered how successful it might be.

I found a number on the council website at the time. Reported someone parking across my drive blocking an energy exit. They were more than happy to tow it at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

How about a big steaming pile left on windscreen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is there anyway to put up a metal post or a bollard to physically prevent this happening?

As I understand it cars are on the street blocking access. Where are you suggesting the metal post should go? Can't put one on the street in front of your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I would back up what has been said about taking pictures and evidencing the occurances.

If I came home and the neighbours were blocking my driveway, I would do the same to theirs.

When they call in to ask you to move, simply don't answer the door or tell them you're in the middle of something and you'll move it in about 15 minutes.

If that doesn't work and it continues then call the Gardaí with the evidence you have collected of them doing it. Please ignorance when they make the same claim about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Buy a 100 quid banger and park it in their driveway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Buy a 100 quid banger and park it in their driveway

Park it blocking their driveway, let the air out of at least one of the tyres, pop the bonnet and leave it there.

When they ask you to move it tell them youd love to but its after breaking down and you are waiting on a tow truck.

Leave it there all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Ever had one of these stuck to your car window? Absolute bastard to remove. €90 well spent

Parking Warning Sticker - extreme adhesive

Warning Sticker: "Please refrain from parking in this area". Use this windscreen sticker to help eliminate unauthorised parking within your car park area.
    • Extreme adhesive; tough to remove from glass
    • Ideal for use with PERSISTANT OFFENDERS
    • Red text on a white background
    • A5 in size (200 x 150mm)
    • Rolls of 250

We also have the Regular Adhesive Warning Sticker which is easier to remove, perfect for areas where parking arrangements are not clear or for first time offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Put the no parking sing up speak to them again.

You could get yourself some of these if it persists.
    Not sure how legal it is or if it will escalate things., maybe ask garda can they be use?

Park in front of your own house, blocking your own drive yourself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Stickers-Reserved-Violation-Illegally/dp/B07KR1X3W7/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=2C359B0I6P13R&keywords=parking+stickers&qid=1554718362&s=gateway&sprefix=Parking+st&sr=8-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

They are obviously extracting the Michael(to put it mildly),. Everybody with a car needs access in and out 24/7 what part of that simple courtesy can not be understood by some people!?
    If you are not the heads on confrontational type,.then just print up a nicely worded letter/reminder that you need to be able to get out of your drive(or in)on a 24/7 basis,. maybe they are immature, special,not the sharpest etc who knows.. if you maybe said you have a sick relative who needs to be cared for at any hour of the day then put that in your letter.....I think the written word in front of you on paper can make 'dump' ignorant people take note and listen..
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

It would be a bit of a PITA but the least confrontational way to deal with it with the greatest chance of success would be to paint two yellow lines yourself in front of your house or your own little yellow box area.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

woejus wrote: »
    Ever had one of these stuck to your car window? Absolute bastard to remove. €90 well spent

Parking Warning Sticker - extreme adhesive

Warning Sticker: "Please refrain from parking in this area". Use this windscreen sticker to help eliminate unauthorised parking within your car park area.
    • Extreme adhesive; tough to remove from glass
    • Ideal for use with PERSISTANT OFFENDERS
    • Red text on a white background
    • A5 in size (200 x 150mm)
    • Rolls of 250

We also have the Regular Adhesive Warning Sticker which is easier to remove, perfect for areas where parking arrangements are not clear or for first time offenders.

It would be as cheap to buy a banger of a car!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

It would be as cheap to buy a banger of a car!!!

needs to be taxed, NCTed - not as simple as it seems. If not taxed, car can be lifted within 5 days, you also get €60 fine. 3 points for no NCT also!

Also open to retaliation by neighbours investing in a similar banger!

woejus wrote: »
    needs to be taxed, NCTed - not as simple as it seems. If not taxed, car can be lifted within 5 days, you also get €60 fine. 3 points for no NCT also!

Also open to retaliation by neighbours investing in a similar banger!

Yes - a skip then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

I feel sorry for you but I would try to communicate more directly with them to try and resolve the problem.

Be very careful because despite advice on here you can't just go clamping cars or putting stickers on them or obstructing them unless they are directly on your property which doesn't seem to be the case here.

It sound's like anytime you've spoken with them its been because theres a car blocking your driveway and you've had to react. Try calling over for a chat when there's no visitors there and explain your frustration and maybe point out that you could find yourself blocked in during an emergency. Evaluate what happens after this.

If the problem persists go straight to the guards for advice because you'll be aware that they are willfully ignoring your concerns and any further dialogue is pointless.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We have a bunch of cars over every now and then. We dont block our neighbours drive but we call in next door to tell them/ask them could we park on the roadside outside their house. I can't imagine what twats block your driveway tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not exactly the same but I have a similar situation at my house.I live in a town centre and its pay and display,however my house is just (metres) outside the zone.The a big private sign painted on the ground and other private signs aswell.This doesnt stop people parking there.

Recently a car was left there for 5 days.The car had no tax NCT or insurance,i went to the guards who didnt want to know,its a cival matter apparently,even though im pretty sure no tax etc is illegal.
    I actually looked into having it towed but i would have to pay to do this and then pay a daily rate to have it stored.

Very frustrating.I found myself thinking ive no option but to let it go or to slash a tyre or something.Was very seriously considering the latter but the ignorant fukwit moved it after day 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

HBC08 wrote: »
    Not exactly the same but I have a similar situation at my house.I live in a town centre and its pay and display,however my house is just (metres) outside the zone.The a big private sign painted on the ground and other private signs aswell.This doesnt stop people parking there.

Recently a car was left there for 5 days.The car had no tax NCT or insurance,i went to the guards who didnt want to know,its a cival matter apparently,even though im pretty sure no tax etc is illegal.
    I actually looked into having it towed but i would have to pay to do this and then pay a daily rate to have it stored.

Very frustrating.I found myself thinking ive no option but to let it go or to slash a tyre or something.Was very seriously considering the latter but the ignorant fukwit moved it after day 5.

Was he blocking your entrance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lidl have a special on cordless drills at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

HBC08 wrote: »
    i once had a car, clearly abandoned, parked near my house - it was parked outside an elderly neighbours house.
    the solution was to take the plates off, leave them on the car, and after several days of nothing happening, i rang the car in as abandoned. it was gone by the time i got home the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Whatever you do don't damage their car.

Next, don't block their driveway otherwise they might call the cops and that will be the one time they actually do come out. Then there will be a record of you doing it.

I'd take photographs, call the police take notes of all the calls. Be polite and let them know it's not high priority but if they could get a car out you'd appreciate it. Keep doing that but start mentioning all the unanswered calls you've made with the dates etc. They will figure out you are taking notes. They will eventually call out. But don't be the one blocking a driveway when they do.

It is against the law to block someone's driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Whenever they have guests come around (which is fairly often) their friends always block our driveway with their cars.

Don't park in your driveway. Park in the spot where they are parking, in front of your driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would knock on the door and tell them to move, don't ask .
    Don't be rude just straight to the point

Then be taking pictures and notes as they come out

Do this a few times and have a full diary of timea and dates ready.
    Then get a guard to have a chat , even off the record as a last warning.
    If that doesn't work then you will have to get it towed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What's the law on moving it.
    Over a certain distance is stealing

Get a set of scares and shift it a bit

The problem is this, right?
    blocking-driveway-thumb.jpg

You are parking in your driveway, and getting blocked in.

So don't park in your driveway. Park on the road outside. If you are parked there, they can't park there. You can't get blocked in.

No need to get the gardai involved, bounce cars, get into arguments with your neighbours... anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't park in your driveway. Park in the spot where they are parking, in front of your driveway.

Really? Park on the road to stop some ignorant p###K parking in front of the driveway? Seriously like??

emeldc wrote: »
    Really? Park on the road to stop some ignorant p###K parking in front of the driveway? Seriously like??

Seriously like.

What's the problem?

Seriously like.

What's the problem?

The OP doesnt want the space being parked in, they want to stop getting blocked in.

Your car is a lot safer on your driveway than out on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seriously like.

What's the problem?

The problem is the OP wants to park in his garden so why should he park on the road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Say you'll report them to revenue for running a 'business' from their home?

I wouldn't tell them i was reporting them. :cool:

Seriously like.

What's the problem?

Why would you buy a house with a driveway only to 'Have to' park on the road because some tool parks in front of it. I really can't believe that's what you're suggesting in order to deal with pure ignorance.

....... wrote: »
    The OP doesnt want the space being parked in, they want to stop getting blocked in.

Your car is a lot safer on your driveway than out on the road.

Really? What is going to happen on the road?
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The problem is the OP wants to park in his garden so why should he park on the road ?

Because he is getting blocked in his garden.

His choices, given on this thread so far are
    • start calling the gardai on his neighbours (sure to end well)
    • bounce the other car out of his way (because that's no trouble)
    • remove the problem

OP, decide what is important to you here.
    Not getting blocked in, or
    NOT BACKING DOWN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

get a sign that says no parking day or night
    If anyone parks in front of you, take pics of the car, reg and them parked in front of sign
    go to neighbor and say that you have put a sign up and are recording anyone who ignores it and parks in front and will report to guards afterwards
    If still happening, least you have proof for the guards that its ongoing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

take photos then go to the gardai.
    while they probably and do hate dealing with this stuff theres probably an obligation on them to do something when a complaint is made.

dont do anything out of the way yourself. you can guarantee thats the time the boys in blue will be called and will act.

its ignorant, illegal and tiresome to have this happen and these house owners being teachers doesnt make them any better/smarter/more considerate than anyone else.

• Advertisement

Really? What is going to happen on the road?

You are far far more likely to suffer damage parked on a public road than a private driveway.

And you run a higher risk of the car being stolen too.

OP, decide what is important to you here.
    Not getting blocked in, or
    NOT BACKING DOWN

Well if it was me I wouldn't be backing down. The OP has tried the 'nice' approach and it's not working.
    If my neighbours show that they have no regard for me I will show the same disregard for them.....and I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. Fcuk 'em.

You are far far more likely to suffer damage parked on a public road than a private driveway.

And you run a higher risk of the car being stolen too.

source?

this is the public road right outside the poster's house, in a small town in rural Ireland, surrounded by neighbours.

How risky is it really?

emeldc wrote: »
    Well if it was me I wouldn't be backing down. The OP has tried the 'nice' approach and it's not working.
    If my neighbours show that they have no regard for me I will show the same disregard for them.....and I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. Fcuk 'em.

Yeah, most of the advice offered in this thread seems to be mainly concerned with status threats rather than parking.

source?

this is the public road right outside the poster's house, in a small town in rural Ireland, surrounded by neighbours.

How risky is it really?

I live in a quiet cul de sac. One of the kids on the road ran in to my car on his trike and caused €500 worth of damage with the handlebars.

source?

How risky is it really?

Source? Eh, common sense.

The fact that other cars and bicycles are unlikely to be passing on the OPs driveway than on the road. Highly unlikely to be hit by a passing car in your driveway.

Risk - well the insurance companies load your policy more if you dont have off street parking so that kind of speaks for itself. Source - every car insurance policy I have ever had.

Ive no idea where the OP lives but its a bit of a no brainer that the solution to having your driveway blocked is not to just park there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

source?

How risky is it really?

It doesn't matter really if its more risky ( which logic tells us of course it is ) What matters is the OP wants to park his own car in his own garden and be able to exit and enter .

Highly unlikely to be hit by a passing car in your driveway.

and what is the likelihood of being hit by a passing car when parked just outside?
    Ive no idea where the OP lives but its a bit of a no brainer that the solution to having your driveway blocked is not to just park there yourself.

OP said earlier, a small town in rural Ireland. Neighbours all around so clearly a residential street.

Suggestions in this thread so far have included parking in the neighbours' drive, calling clampers, calling gardai, putting stickers on the windscreen, calling a tow truck, reporting to revenue...

People are very quick to offer advice that will lead to the situation escalating, because **** it, it's just the internet, easy to act the hard man, who cares if the problem is solved as long as you don't sound weak :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Thanks everyone for the replies, next time it happens (I wish I was saying "if" it happens next time instead of "when" it happens next) I will be straight over and telling them to move it, there will be no asking involved (obvs. without being too rude). I will tell them that I have pics taken and reg. of cars noted and advice of guards will be sought. I dont want to go down the road of placing stickers, signs, bollards, my own car even, in front of the drive unless its a very very last resort and guards are totally unhelpful.

Just wanted to ask though, has anyone ever had guards involved in a similar situation and were the guards helpful?

and what is the likelihood of being hit by a passing car when parked just outside?

About 100% more likely than if you were parked inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

source?

That's just by-the-numbers argumentative boards bull****. Of course a car is better in a driveway than on the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement