Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

1103104105106107109»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's privatum - a private baptism, not in the church.

Could it have been done by someone present at the birth? Maybe the child was sickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭55Gem

I think private could well be correct, the one above has the same word and established conditional or similar, both baptised the same day by the same priest, both Rotunda and both missing the second last column entry.

Perhaps born in the Rotunda hospital and both sickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The child only survived for 19 days so I think your suggestions of a baptism possibly taking place in the hospital is spot on, thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree: privatum

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

I would say "proatim" meaning "in advance" - basically saying it's being done just in case or provisionally.

Latin for "private" is "privatus".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

It gives examples at the top/header of that column:

Circumstantiæ ex Rit. Rom. apponendæ, e. g. si fuerit adultus, recens conversus, sub conditione vel privatim Baptisatus, expositus, etc.

which means

Circumstances of the rite, for example, if an adult, recent convert, previously baptized privately, etcetera

Link explaining the headers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭55Gem

The girl above Mary Catherine Murphy, Margaret Mary Timmins also sadly died on the 25th June

Registered as Unknown Timmins bottom of the page, the last in a list of five babies from the Rotunda Hospital on that one page.

Advertisement