Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent increase without lease document

Options
  • 01-01-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, wondering if you could offer some advice, back around 2 months ago I got atext from the landlord saying he was increasing my rent from 800 to 950, now I forgot about that in the meantime and I put in the old amount of rent, so he comes looking to get the other 150. Now the problem is he has not given us a lease for the new amount, and in order for my housemates rent allowance to be increased she does need that. So I'm left paying the extra 150 on my own, which I can't afford so close to Christmas. Where do I stand considering I haven't signed a lease for the new amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

You probably need advice from Threshold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It would not be usual to receive a new lease every time there's a rent increase. A landlord is entitled to raise the rent in line with market rates once every twelve months. How long have you been living there? Is the new rent within the permissable threshold for rent allowance for your friend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

He doesn't need a lease be he has to supply valid notice. Ignore him and continue paying the old rate. The clock only starts ticking when he delivers a letter with the new rate and with appropiate notice.

Play dumb until he satisfies these conditions.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/sec0022.html#sec22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Beaner1 wrote: »
    He doesn't need a lease be he has to supply valid notice. Ignore him and continue paying the old rate. The clock only starts ticking when he delivers a letter with the new rate and with appropiate notice.

Play dumb until he satisfies these conditions.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/sec0022.html#sec22

thank you, knowing I have some sort of legal standpoint helps a lot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It had already been discussed here that a text counts as notice.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    It had already been discussed here that a text counts as notice.
    Does it? Where does it say that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Meesared wrote: »

Think the pervasive have ruled in the past that notice by text is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You do realise if you play dumb as advised you could have to pay the new rent back dated .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »

Legislation disagrees so I will go with that. The PRTB is a Tribunal that follows legislation and does not follow case law.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Legislation disagrees so I will go with that. The PRTB is a Tribunal that follows legislation and does not follow case law.

Who also ruled that text was an acceptable for of notice

Stheno wrote: »

We'll theyre wrong and have been known to get it wrong at the deficision stage. An appeal would sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op needs to either get the other house mate to pay there share or start looking for something or someone else who can

Have rents increased by 16% since youve rented? Very doubtful going by the PRTBs own data which would make this an above market increase.

Gatling wrote: »
    Op needs to either get the other house mate to pay there share or start looking for something or someone else who can

Now that's not the point, the point of this was to find out where I stand legally with regards to the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Now that's not the point, the point of this was to find out where I stand legally with regards to the lease.

You've been told and you've been asked questions that you haven't answered. The main one being how long are you renting there and when was your last rent increase. These will impact the legal situation

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You don't necessarily need a lease, tenants rights are covered under the RTA 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Have rents increased by 16% since youve rented? Very doubtful going by the PRTBs own data which would make this an above market increase.

Nearly 19%

athtrasna wrote: »
    You've been told and you've been asked questions that you haven't answered. The main one being how long are you renting there and when was your last rent increase. These will impact the legal situation

I haven't been told categorically, there is differing opinions, anyway I'm here 3 years 3 months and my last rent increase was around a year ago

vandriver wrote: »
    Nearly 19%

You're not the op so you can drop the vested interest stats.

• Advertisement

I haven't been told categorically, there is differing opinions, anyway I'm here 3 years 3 months and my last rent increase was around a year ago

Have you a lease currently in place?

.... and you can watch your tone. Play nice or dont post.

Have you a lease currently in place?

Yeah I signed one not that long ago

Yeah I signed one not that long ago

The drip feeding of vital information here is not helping.

Has the lease been renewed on the anniversary of the initial one?
    Did the last rent increase happen when you signed a lease or in addition to a lease being put in place?
    When was the last rent increase? Be precise here please as it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Greyian

He was actually saying the rent was raised by nearly 19%

150 increase on original 800 = 18.75% raise

Greyian wrote: »
    He was actually saying the rent was raised by nearly 19%

150 increase on original 800 = 18.75% raise

Oh right, apologies. An outrageous 12 month increase then.

The drip feeding of vital information here is not helping.

Has the lease been renewed on the anniversary of the initial one?
    Did the last rent increase happen when you signed a lease or in addition to a lease being put in place?
    When was the last rent increase? Be precise here please as it matters.
    Sorry I'm trying my best, no the lease had expired for 6 months when I signed the most recent one in March. I honestly can't remember when the last increase was exactly though. When the rent increased last time. There was a new lease supplied.

Sorry I'm trying my best, no the lease had expired for 6 months when I signed the most recent one in March. I honestly can't remember when the last increase was exactly though. When the rent increased last time. There was a new lease supplied.

You really need to know the history here for your own sake. Was the last increase in March when you signed the new lease then?

A few pointers for you.

Legally you don't need a written lease.
    Legally the landlord is entitled to increase the rent once in every 12 month period with 28 days notice.
    He cannot increase it above market rent.

If you can't tell us when the last increase was or the duration of your lease we can't answer your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You really need to know the history here for your own sake. Was the last increase in March when you signed the new lease then?

A few pointers for you.

Legally you don't need a written lease.
    Legally the landlord is entitled to increase the rent once in every 12 month period with 28 days notice.
    He cannot increase it above market rent.

If you can't tell us when the last increase was or the duration of your lease we can't answer your query.

Is the notice period not dependent on how you have been renting.

• Advertisement

Is the notice period not dependent on how you have been renting.

What do you mean 'how you have been renting'?

The only notice stipulated for rent increases in legislation is 28 days. That is the minimum notice to be given.

Advertisement