Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private numbers

Options
  • 18-04-2021 1:42am

It's so rude.

Sometimes I will play private-number roulette with these jokers, but they're almost always recruitment agencies, other miscreants, or people who just know you don't want to speak to them.

I have had enough.

Show yourselves, cowards. Why are people still ringing off private numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is private-number roulette?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I read an article in the Sydney Morning Herald which said some people now think its rude to bother them by phoning instead of WhatsApp messaging.

I can see their point. I hate receiving calls from people I'm not at ease talking to.

I hate Private Numbers even more.

Would you ever F OFF with your private number.

What are you hiding....??

It's OK for you to know my no but not OK for me to know yours??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Not all private number callers are out to get you, I have a number of elderly relatives and friends who just don't realise they have the hide my number setting on their mobile phones turned on. Also most don't realise if you put 142 in front of the number your calling from an unlisted landline your number does not appear as a private number to who you are calling.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I work in a hospital and the switchboard comes up as a private number. So if I’m ever ringing a patient or their family, it’s a private number call. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will ring my secretary looking to talk to me and then not answer their phone when it rings- bearing in mind they’re expecting a call. It got to a stage where it was a considerable waste of my time, so now I have a policy of leaving a message if they don’t answer the first (if they have voicemail enabled) saying who I am, that I’m returning their call and that I’ll try again, giving an approximate timeframe. If they don’t answer the second call, that’s it, I’m not trying again. I’ll also document the date and time I phoned.
    The same people will often turn up to their next appointment and make an issue of it, saying “I was trying to contact you” or similar, often with a reproachful tone or air of disappointment so it’s very handy being able to say “yes, I rang you back twice, at 2.30 and at 4pm on the 15th” - cue a backtrack “oh I mustn’t have heard it” or such.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any idea why it comes up as a private number? Loads of people won't answer and if someone misses your call they can't simply call you back. Seems like a **** system really.

• Advertisement

Any idea why it comes up as a private number? Loads of people won't answer and if someone misses your call they can't simply call you back. Seems like a **** system really.

I’ve no idea why it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭gifted

I just want to go back to the days when the phone out in the hall was the only way to contact me......ring ring....hello?....life was simpler then.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

To be honest, you should get this fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It’s a filtering strategy, so that the direct number doesn’t come up otherwise people could call the person they want directly instead of having to go via the secretary or the switchboard.

There’s no way anyone’s going to “fix” it unless the system allows you to call from one number while showing another on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Victor wrote: »
    What is private-number roulette?

Answering the phone I'd guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I’m highly amused at people complaining about private numbers.
    I’m old enough to have lived at a time when mobile phones weren’t even thought of, never mind invented, and back then , when the phone rang , you just answered it, obviously as someone was calling you.
    Why it’s deemed necessary to know who’s calling in advance before you answer these days is beyond me. I get that it’s a neat feature to see who’s calling, but private number coming up would never stop me answering the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm in the UK and if I answer a private number they usually inform me I've been involved in an accident somewhere in Birmingham and it was my fault.
    I usually say "Oh my gawd, am I OK?!"

To be honest, you should get this fixed.

I’m not going on a one-woman crusade to get the hospital phone infrastructure changed.

I’m old enough to have lived at a time when mobile phones weren’t even thought of, never mind invented, and back then , when the phone rang , you just answered it, obviously as someone was calling you.
    Why it’s deemed necessary to know who’s calling in advance before you answer these days is beyond me. I get that it’s a neat feature to see who’s calling, but private number coming up would never stop me answering the phone.

Absolutely. It’s not that difficult to just hang up if it turns out to be a scammer, cold-caller etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Same here.
    Like the hospital example above, this also happens with some other large organisations.
    I am more inclined to answer private numbers as I don’t want to be wondering who called.

Just hang up otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Yes, and humans lived through a time where we had to catch and kill our own dinner, but I bet you'll happily use the supermarket.
    Times have changed and we have to move with then. A private number is rude, the person receiving the call has no idea who is calling. Would you rock up to someone's door in a balaclava?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭893bet

I work in a hospital and the switchboard comes up as a private number. So if I’m ever ringing a patient or their family, it’s a private number call. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will ring my secretary looking to talk to me and then not answer their phone when it rings- bearing in mind they’re expecting a call. It got to a stage where it was a considerable waste of my time, so now I have a policy of leaving a message if they don’t answer the first (if they have voicemail enabled) saying who I am, that I’m returning their call and that I’ll try again, giving an approximate timeframe. If they don’t answer the second call, that’s it, I’m not trying again. I’ll also document the date and time I phoned.
    The same people will often turn up to their next appointment and make an issue of it, saying “I was trying to contact you” or similar, often with a reproachful tone or air of disappointment so it’s very handy being able to say “yes, I rang you back twice, at 2.30 and at 4pm on the 15th” - cue a backtrack “oh I mustn’t have heard it” or such.

Or.....why not have your secretary warn them the number will be from a private number.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Absolutely. It’s not that difficult to just hang up if it turns out to be a scammer, cold-caller etc.

It's even easier if you don't even answer, they'll leave a message if......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I also don't remember my house phone receiving nearly as many unwanted calls from telemarketers, scammers and other annoying parties though. It's not really comparable.

Saying that, I do find now that most private numbers are legit these days with covid as they're people using their personal mobiles for work calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

corsav6 wrote: »
    A private number is rude, the person receiving the call has no idea who is calling.

Sometimes it’s unavoidable as outlined above, My landline doesn’t have caller ID so I never know who is calling. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Anyway “I didn’t recognise the number” is another reason I’ve heard from people who wouldn’t take a call. So a number displayed is no guarantee thay they’ll answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yes, and humans lived through a time where we had to catch and kill our own dinner, but I bet you'll happily use the supermarket.
    Good analogy.
    Would you rock up to someone's door in a balaclava?
    Bad analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I get lots of work related calls on my own phone on my days off. So yeah it's definitely handy to know who's calling. I normally don't answer work calls when I'm not at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I get lots of work related calls on my own phone on my days off. So yeah it's definitely handy to know who's calling. I normally don't answer work calls when I'm not at work.

You need to go Android if not already. Dual sim phone and get a new personal number using a cheapie service like 48. Then turn off work sim when not in work. Even consider ditching voicemail altogether if your work will allow it. Never will you be annoyed again nor have to worry about say your kids or family inadvertently answering a work call for you on a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭CPTM

I’m not going on a one-woman crusade to get the hospital phone infrastructure changed.

This is why people roll their eyes at the health system these days. Everything is a crusade. And of course it is when the default idea is that something else, over there, owned by someone else, has to change.

Just get a mobile phone and set up call forwarding to your secretary's number.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I read an article in the Sydney Morning Herald which said some people now think its rude to bother them by phoning instead of WhatsApp messaging.

I can see their point. I hate receiving calls from people I'm not at ease talking to.

I hate Private Numbers even more.

Would you ever F OFF with your private number.

What are you hiding....??

It's OK for you to know my no but not OK for me to know yours??

Pretty sad state of affairs when people consider a phone call to be rude. If anything the art of conversation is dying through the superfluous use of text messaging, email and WhatsApp.

I see it with the younger generation who have joined the office in the past few years. On occasion when they have a query, I suggest they call so and so who will know the answer, which will also help with their networking, they look at me with confusion and bewilderment. They end up sending an email, which results in a lengthy email thread when a quick phone call would suffice.

Likewise, I've no issue with private numbers, people like to guard their privacy, particularly given the increased use of personal data in our daily lives and lack of transparency around the use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I have private numbers blocked on my phone. I had an ex bothering me, so blocked his number. But he must have realised, so to get around it, he started calling me from a private number. So I blocked all private calls to prevent him from contacting me. That was years ago and haven't looked back. I haven't missed anything important that I'm aware of. If it's important, there are other ways to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

CPTM wrote: »
    This is why people roll their eyes at the health system these days. Everything is a crusade. And of course it is when the default idea is that something else, over there, owned by someone else, has to change.

Why though? Because some people don't want to answer a number they don't know? Shouldn't people working in the health service be saving their energy for important stuff?

The only sensible idea I've seen on here about how to "fix" this is to have the secretary warn people that the call will be from a private number, and if she's queried about it, she can explain that this is to prevent hospital staff from having to waste time dealing with nuisance phone calls - exactly the same reason they don't want to answer unidentified calls in the first place.

A better solution IMO (but a bit off topic as it can't be done by any individual) would be to stop all the selling on of phone lists and so on. One thing that was great during the first lockdown was there were no phone calls of people trying to sell home insulation or roof repairs or tell you you needed to contact an insurance company. Such a load of scammers - and they all had to stay home during the first lockdown, it was wonderful. Though IME they're rarely from private numbers anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

The 1970’s called there and asked will you put a tape into the vcr to record Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The 1970’s called there and asked will you put a tape into the vcr to record Fair City.

Fair City actually started in the late 1980s.

The number appearing on digital displays only became a widespread feature in the early 2000s when mobile phone use increased significantly.

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »

Or, you know, people who request a phonecall from someone could simply answer their phone when it rings, instead of perceiving it as some sort of cross between a nuisance and a threat.

I know when I’m waiting on an important phone call I keep my phone within arms reach and will answer it. It’s not a novel concept.

Advertisement