Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I work in a hospital and the switchboard comes up as a private number. So if I’m ever ringing a patient or their family, it’s a private number call. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will ring my secretary looking to talk to me and then not answer their phone when it rings- bearing in mind they’re expecting a call. It got to a stage where it was a considerable waste of my time, so now I have a policy of leaving a message if they don’t answer the first (if they have voicemail enabled) saying who I am, that I’m returning their call and that I’ll try again, giving an approximate timeframe. If they don’t answer the second call, that’s it, I’m not trying again. I’ll also document the date and time I phoned.
    The same people will often turn up to their next appointment and make an issue of it, saying “I was trying to contact you” or similar, often with a reproachful tone or air of disappointment so it’s very handy being able to say “yes, I rang you back twice, at 2.30 and at 4pm on the 15th” - cue a backtrack “oh I mustn’t have heard it” or such.

Ah that explains it... but at least you say when you will ring back. Some people are on another call when a private no. Rings and then can't ring back.

Why have a private number if this is a problem for the hospital? As mentioned, it's most likely hospital etc don't want patient etc to ring back this particular extension number but to ring a general number.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Pretty sad state of affairs when people consider a phone call to be rude. If anything the art of conversation is dying through the superfluous use of text messaging, email and WhatsApp.

I see it with the younger generation who have joined the office in the past few years. On occasion when they have a query, I suggest they call so and so who will know the answer, which will also help with their networking, they look at me with confusion and bewilderment. They end up sending an email, which results in a lengthy email thread when a quick phone call would suffice.

Likewise, I've no issue with private numbers, people like to guard their privacy, particularly given the increased use of personal data in our daily lives and lack of transparency around the use.

This, this, a million times this!

My head is wrecked from this, especially working from home during Covid.
    The open ended, one line email that could take an age to respond to and could so easily have been sorted out with a 30 second call.

It's got to the stage where calling someone is almost like an assault. How dare you call me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always sad to hear people “harping back” to the days of the rotary phone and how exciting it all was. Times have changed and things have moved on.

The other reason, that I can see, for answering a call for an unknown number is that you have nothing better to do. And, what’s worse, is that it encourages these “time burglars” to call someone else.

Yes, I’m well aware that I may have to answer one of these “hidden” numbers if I’m expecting a call from a teacher or a doctor but I’m expecting that.

Just text. Leaving voicemails and calling over to someone unannounced are things of the past and should be left there. It’s the height of bad manners. Hell, I won’t even answer a call from a number I don’t recognise and I got the Ring doorbell so I can tell any, in person, callers I’m not interested without having to listen to their “spiel”.

Time is precious. I understand, for some people, it’s still very exciting to “chat” to someone trying to get you to switch electricity provider but, quite frankly, I’ve more important things to be doing.

Calling someone from a “hidden” number is quite a sinister act and should be viewed as such.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

Any idea why it comes up as a private number? Loads of people won't answer and if someone misses your call they can't simply call you back. Seems like a **** system really.

Not really,if your phone rings just ****ing answer it,dont over think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

This, this, a million times this!

My head is wrecked from this, especially working from home during Covid.
    The open ended, one line email that could take an age to respond to and could so easily have been sorted out with a 30 second call.

It's got to the stage where calling someone is almost like an assault. How dare you call me!

"How dare you call me" this was the tenet of the Sydney Morning Herald piece on the younger generations attitude to receiving calls.
    Seems its not just an Australian phenomenon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why though? Because some people don't want to answer a number they don't know? Shouldn't people working in the health service be saving their energy for important stuff?
    I would have said communication with patients is fairly important now all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭volchitsa

cdeb wrote: »
    I would have said communication with patients is fairly important now all the same.

That's why patients should answer the phone if they're expecting a call. It's up to them to make a small effort too.

Because many of those same people won't answer even if the number comes up, unless they actually recognise it. How far should the health service go to placate someone like that?

Always someone else's problem, eh?

If that's a reply to me, I've no idea what point you think you're making. The consultant (I presume it's a consultant) called people back more than once. God knows I'm not one for excessive deference to anyone, but I can accept that a hospital doctor is a busy person with more to be doing than repeatedly calling people who are out in their garden or who just refuse to answer because they don't recognise the number.

It's not "somebody else's problem", it's the problem of the patient who knows they're expecting a call and can't be arsed answering the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I’m highly amused at people complaining about private numbers.
    I’m old enough to have lived at a time when mobile phones weren’t even thought of, never mind invented, and back then , when the phone rang , you just answered it, obviously as someone was calling you.
    Why it’s deemed necessary to know who’s calling in advance before you answer these days is beyond me. I get that it’s a neat feature to see who’s calling, but private number coming up would never stop me answering the phone.

Yeah but this is boards people were talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

basill wrote: »
    You need to go Android if not already. Dual sim phone and get a new personal number using a cheapie service like 48. Then turn off work sim when not in work. Even consider ditching voicemail altogether if your work will allow it. Never will you be annoyed again nor have to worry about say your kids or family inadvertently answering a work call for you on a day off.

Or just ask your employer to provide a separate mobile phone for work purposes. I have had one for years. Makes life very simple. When I finish work in the evening, it turned off. At weekends, it’s turned off. When I am on annual leave, it’s turned off.

It's not "somebody else's problem", it's the problem of the patient who knows they're expecting a call and can't be arsed answering the phone.
    It's a known fact - however annoying - that people will tend to avoid unknown phone numbers. Yes, back in the day of rotary phones we answered all calls, but increasingly these calls spam or other unwanted calls. It's unfortunate but true.

So all that's being suggested is that you point this out in your place of work and see if an improvement can be made to services. Yes, some people will still be pricks and ignore calls. But all you can do is try improve things on your side. Giving out on an internet forum won't do that.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Just answer the phone.

Say “ it’s done, but there’s blood everywhere “ and hang up !

I’m old enough to have lived at a time when mobile phones weren’t even thought of, never mind invented, and back then , when the phone rang , you just answered it, obviously as someone was calling you.
    Why it’s deemed necessary to know who’s calling in advance before you answer these days is beyond me. I get that it’s a neat feature to see who’s calling, but private number coming up would never stop me answering the phone.

We’re in an age where many more people are up to something though and a private number is a sure sign of this. The calls are easily blocked so you never even see them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Why though? Because some people don't want to answer a number they don't know? Shouldn't people working in the health service be saving their energy for important stuff?

Or, you know, people who request a phonecall from someone could simply answer their phone when it rings, instead of perceiving it as some sort of cross between a nuisance and a threat.

I know when I’m waiting on an important phone call I keep my phone within arms reach and will answer it. It’s not a novel concept.

Because people are silly, to put it kindly. They shouldn't speed in their cars. They shouldn't smoke cigarettes. They should stay at home during a pandemic. They shouldn't obsess over men and women who clearly have no interest in them. They should exercise 20 minutes a day instead of eating plates and plates of pasta and then complaining about a weight problem. They shouldn't sit on mindless internet websites all day long and then wonder why they're unable to make life decisions or feel happy. And they SHOULD answer their phones if they went to the bother of buying one.

But they don't. Why are humans like this? Who knows. All I know is that a handful of them did things like make it to the moon about 50 years ago and the rest decided it makes everyone logical geniuses when in actual fact an incredible number really are just 1% away from being monkeys in trees.

It does mean that if an employee of any industry wants to be effective, they need to know that changing themselves is a lot more efficient than changing a world of.. 'silly' people.. to put it kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I work in a hospital and the switchboard comes up as a private number. So if I’m ever ringing a patient or their family, it’s a private number call. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will ring my secretary looking to talk to me and then not answer their phone when it rings- bearing in mind they’re expecting a call. It got to a stage where it was a considerable waste of my time, so now I have a policy of leaving a message if they don’t answer the first (if they have voicemail enabled) saying who I am, that I’m returning their call and that I’ll try again, giving an approximate timeframe. If they don’t answer the second call, that’s it, I’m not trying again. I’ll also document the date and time I phoned.
    The same people will often turn up to their next appointment and make an issue of it, saying “I was trying to contact you” or similar, often with a reproachful tone or air of disappointment so it’s very handy being able to say “yes, I rang you back twice, at 2.30 and at 4pm on the 15th” - cue a backtrack “oh I mustn’t have heard it” or such.

Sounds like it would be easier for all if the switchboard didn't do this.

Has that been raised as an issue? You can't be the only person in the building forced to play that game.

Edit: I see you've already answered similar responses.
    Unfortunately it just sounds like a lot of hassle for you dealing with this situation.
    I’m not going on a one-woman crusade to get the hospital phone infrastructure changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What are people afraid of if they answer a private number? That an arm with a clenched fist will shoot out from the handset and punch them in the gob? You can always hang up on them if you don't want to talk to them

This covid thing and sitting at home business is doing the world no good by making everyone so timid

It's a known fact - however annoying - that people will tend to avoid unknown phone numbers. Yes, back in the day of rotary phones we answered all calls, but increasingly these calls spam or other unwanted calls. It's unfortunate but true.

So all that's being suggested is that you point this out in your place of work and see if an improvement can be made to services. Yes, some people will still be pricks and ignore calls. But all you can do is try improve things on your side. Giving out on an internet forum won't do that.

That's all.
    Don't hospitals have well paid adminstrators with access to groups like the Irish Patients Association whose job it presumably is to improve patients' experience?

If, when you made your comment about it always being someone else's job to improve this sort of thing, that's what you meant, then I do agree with you. It is someone else's job.

And personally I want a doctor who looks after my health, not one who's wasting time trying to find out who to contact to facilitate the phone service for patients who don't like picking up to unknown numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

corsav6 wrote: »
    Yes, and humans lived through a time where we had to catch and kill our own dinner, but I bet you'll happily use the supermarket.
    Times have changed and we have to move with then. A private number is rude, the person receiving the call has no idea who is calling. Would you rock up to someone's door in a balaclava?

That's an extremely low bar for rudeness and the balaclava example doesn't compare. Balaclava man might kill you where the private number might annoy you a little and you can hang up.
    Not answering private numbers, along wih hiding in your house when the doorbell rings (which I read about on boards and seems to be a thing now) sounds like a very paranoid response to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not answering a private number because of some irrational fear of the unknown can create inconvenience. Not everybody leaves a voicemail. As said earlier, some businesses' outbound calls are automatically set to private. For others it can be extremely difficult to get the right person when you ring back.

A recent private number I answered was someone from a bank ringing about a loan I had in the late 90s. They had overcharged me and were trying to contact me to let me know I was due a refund of interest - just under €300. The address they had was out of date so they were trying my mobile (have had same number since 1995). So a couple of weeks later, I got a refund cheque in post. I wonder what would have happened if I didn’t answer.

• Advertisement

What are people afraid of if they answer a private number? That an arm with a clenched fist will shoot out from the handset and punch them in the gob? You can always hang up on them if you don't want to talk to them

This covid thing and sitting at home business is doing the world no good by making everyone so timid

I don't think it's a case of people being afraid or too timid.
    Interesting take.

More just a complete pain in the hole having to bother with them as it's usually someone selling something etc.

It's inconvenience and easiest way to deal with it is ignore.

Don't hospitals have well paid adminstrators with access to groups like the Irish Patients Association whose job it presumably is to improve patients' experience?

If, when you made your comment about it always being someone else's job to improve this sort of thing, that's what you meant, then I do agree with you. It is someone else's job.

And personally I want a doctor who looks after my health, not one who's wasting time trying to find out who to contact to facilitate the phone service for patients who don't like picking up to unknown numbers.
    I think what I'd be looking for in the admin function of a hospital is a cohesive team effort where everyone in the same organisation tries to pull together to improve administration and communication where possible for the benefit of the overall function.

No-one's asking you to go on a crusade. Just make a suggestion to the relevant people and follow up once or twice to see if anything was done.

Not entirely sure why this has to be so difficult.

Not answering a private number because of some irrational fear of the unknown can create inconvenience. Not everybody leaves a voicemail. As said earlier, some businesses' outbound calls are automatically set to private. For others it can be extremely difficult to get the right person when you ring back.

A recent private number I answered was someone from a bank ringing about a loan I had in the late 90s. They had overcharged me and were trying to contact me to let me know I was due a refund of interest - just under €300. The address they had was out of date so they were trying my mobile (have had same number since 1995). So a couple of weeks later, I got a refund cheque in post. I wonder what would have happened if I didn’t answer.

If someone called me out of the blue telling me I have a sum of money waiting for me, I'd probably be more likely to hang up! But that's a long shot situation anyway. Congratulations on the 300 quid tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

But the people who won’t answer their phones are making their habit someone else’s problem, aren’t they? They want me to ring them, but only on certain conditions, which are beyond my control. They want me to adapt an entire hospital telephone infrastructure system instead of answering their phones. After they answer my call they can go right back to not answering their phones if they wish. Which of those two adaptations is easier?

I have zero idea who in the hospital I would need to approach to see about changing the outgoing call display. Wouldn’t even know where to begin. And frankly, I’ve more than enough to be doing as it is without spending time tracking down someone to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Or, you know, people who request a phonecall from someone could simply answer their phone when it rings, instead of perceiving it as some sort of cross between a nuisance and a threat.

I know when I’m waiting on an important phone call I keep my phone within arms reach and will answer it. It’s not a novel concept.

Yes yes. People should shouldn't they.. Let's sit here in a lesser world and not do something simple to fix it just because someone else should do something. Why are we unable to get over things like this? I wonder will a generation ever comes along that doesn't refuse to make progress simply because someone else somewhere should be doing something.

But the people who won’t answer their phones are making their habit someone else’s problem, aren’t they?
    They're also a problem, but one you can't control.

An IT department would be a really obvious start for discussing an IT issue. The change being suggested isn't necessarily a major one. So why not make the suggestion instead of being another "Not my problem" person?

km991148 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of people being afraid or too timid.
    Interesting take.

More just a complete pain in the hole having to bother with them as it's usually someone selling something etc.

It's inconvenience and easiest way to deal with it is ignore.

If it’s a cold call selling you something, just hang up. Then you’re not left wondering if you missed the actual call you have been waiting on.

CPTM wrote: »
    Yes yes. People should shouldn't they.. Let's sit here in a lesser world and not do something simple to fix it just because someone else should do something. Why are we unable to get over things like this? I wonder will a generation ever comes along that doesn't refuse to make progress simply because someone else somewhere should be doing something.

Does your logic apply to the call-avoidant people too? Just because they think someone else should be doing something, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do something very simple that would solve the issue.

Well, grandad, things move on. I too remember pre mobile days, and disregarding the fact that towards the end of the era you could tell who was calling, the fact that everybody is private is different from some people being private. Mostly people want to answer the calls from friends, acquaintances or their doctor etc. Not being able to screen meant you answered all calls*

When you do know who is calling the private numbers are likely not your friends, acquaintances or doctor. If hospitals do have a private number they should advertise the fact.

*except those you screen with voicemail if you had it -a technology from the 70s

• Advertisement

That's why patients should answer the phone if they're expecting a call. It's up to them to make a small effort too.

Because many of those same people won't answer even if the number comes up, unless they actually recognise it. How far should the health service go to placate someone like that?

Just inform people to expect a call on a certain day and say it’s a private number.

Advertisement