Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40292468.html
    Just an opinion, but one which I subscribe to. Potentially good times ahead. Regardless of your view, an interesting read nonetheless, and good to see an uplifting article. Maybe, just maybe, the narrative in the media is changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

hynesie08 wrote: »

Sure can't anyone knock out a window at the back or side if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Attacking the messenger? She is pointing out the way it is going. I like the old style pub but I can see and already have seen many of them going. I doubt many like packed pubs busy yes but packed no. Hard to get to the bar and back without spilling it everywhere!

Did you hear it? She specifically said people dont enjoy packed pubs even if they say they do, thats my issue. You seem to have the same attitude, i have spent years working and drinking in small packed pubs, absolutely loved them as did the clientele, they wouldn't be there otherwise. As ive got older, no i dont go for them anymore but to make the blanket assertion that people dont like them is just absurd

Did you hear it? She specifically said people dont enjoy packed pubs even if they say they do, thats my issue. You seem to have the same attitude, i have spent years working and drinking in small packed pubs, absolutely loved them as did the clientele, they wouldn't be there otherwise. As ive got older, no i dont go for them anymore but to make the blanket assertion that people dont like them is just absurd

No they don't really, they avoid them. They like busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No they don't really, they avoid them. They like busy.

And your speaking on behalf of pub goers everywhere are you ?

Your assuming everyone in the country has the same view as you. You seem to know what everyone likes and what they don't

• Advertisement

And your speaking on behalf of pub goers everywhere are you ?

Your assuming everyone in the country has the same view as you. You seem to know what everyone likes

Just going by what I see. Anyway such jammed/cramped pubs will be out now with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just going by what I see. Anyway such jammed/cramped pubs will be out now with Covid.

Right so you projected out what you see to the population and tried to make a generalisation. Doesn't exactly work like that. Everyone likes different things. Your personal opinion isn't fact no matter how much you try to present it as such (on various topics too)

Packed is out for the moment, they'll be back don't you worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40292468.html
    Just an opinion, but one which I subscribe to. Potentially good times ahead. Regardless of your view, an interesting read nonetheless, and good to see an uplifting article. Maybe, just maybe, the narrative in the media is changing.

No doubt a very upsetting read for the legions of miserable, lockdown loving lefties out there. The thought of people enjoying themselves is sacrilige to them.

Have a look at the images from temple bar last night and try to convince people that the Irish don't like a few pints. This is only the beginning, wait until the pubs actually open!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Have a look at the images from temple bar last night and try to convince people that the Irish don't like a few pints. This is only the beginning, wait until the pubs actually open!

Town was packed in general yesterday (shops etc), yes, seemed to be a lot of people getting takeaway pints.

Personally I can't see the attraction in paying 6 quid to drink out of a plastic cup on the street and would go for cans in this scenario, but each to their own. Not overly excited about the outdoor opening given our weather, more excited about an afternoon in Belfast next weekend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

No one over about 23 enjoys a packed pub. Busy hell yes, but sardines hell no. Reminds me of Space and Amnesia in Ibiza. No thanks.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    No one over about 23 enjoys a packed pub. Busy hell yes, but sardines hell no. Reminds me of Space and Amnesia in Ibiza. No thanks.

Yes that's it. I'd say over 30 no one goes into packed pubs anymore.

Yes that's it. I'd say over 30 no one goes into packed pubs anymore.

You need to get out more often if you think no one over 30 goes into packed pubs anymore

You need to get out more often if you think no one over 30 goes into packed pubs anymore

Not happening now anyway! I'll be out when I get the chance.

Not happening now anyway! I'll be out when I get the chance.

As soon as social distancing is gone,restrictions are lifted and pubs get back to normal you will see pubs packed again like they were before covid

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

More likely a misrepresentation of guidelines, which previously stipulated a separate entrance and exit ‘where possible’. So if your premises doesn’t have two public assess points then it’s not possible, but you can still operate. Same as smaller retailers already back trading - they may only have one point of access for the public but allowed to trade nonetheless.

More likely a misrepresentation of guidelines, which previously stipulated a separate entrance and exit ‘where possible’. So if your premises doesn’t have two public assess points then it’s not possible, but you can still operate. Same as smaller retailers already back trading - they may only have one point of access for the public but allowed to trade nonetheless.

Ventilation will be important. So says soem study.

I never liked packed packed pubs but I’d rather that a million times over what she was envisioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I think sometimes it just happens that a pub or venue is packed like a pub around crole park an hour before a big match can be like sardines and a sauna! if your in quinns or somewhere your not going to head off somewhere else prob just plow through and get a coupe of pints when you do get the bar.

Same maybe with Galway races where almost every bar and pub are wedged and its kind of the buzz of it all, same when out at the races unless you get owners/trainers bar. sometimes if you enjoy events like that or concerts etc you are in this environment and you just get on wit it. main thing you need at events like that is nearly double the amount of bars they usually have. jesus its lovely to be at an event like that and just walk up to bar and get a drink without being squashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Packed pubs are absolutely going to return. It's going to take a lot more than just life on hold for many to break a generational habit that's so ingrained in our culture like that. As has been pointed out matches, festivals, and gigs with their respective large social gatherings are really no different in the grand scheme of things.

We may have social distancing in place for some time, but at a certain point when everyone who wants a vaccine has had one COVID will be a distant memory and everyone will be enjoying their old pleasures promising themselves they'll never take them for granted again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As soon as social distancing is gone,restrictions are lifted and pubs get back to normal you will see pubs packed again like they were before covid

You're right, I hope there's a boom in trade for all the hard hit businesses closed for the past 15 months... nothing can beat the atmosphere of a good Irish pub....
    There's a few on here that would be "happy" enough to be sat at home in front of RTE1 with a few discount cans of pee from Lidl and let them stay there...

But Ireland is famed for it's pubs and it brings people here from all over the World and has inspired Irish themed bars Globally...

they're not going away despite what the misery guts on here say....

https://www.thejournal.ie/northern-ireland-relax-restrictions-indoor-hospitality-5444082-May2021/

A heartening sight, our neighbours accorded a simple privilege denied to us. Mark the date, let's see if indoor hospitality gets a fair shake here within the next six weeks. I suspect the shenanigans from last summer might repeat themselves with Tony at the helm, "we'll just have a push it out another few weeks as a precaution..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

https://www.thejournal.ie/northern-ireland-relax-restrictions-indoor-hospitality-5444082-May2021/

A heartening sight, our neighbours accorded a simple privilege denied to us. Mark the date, let's see if indoor hospitality gets a fair shake here within the next six weeks. I suspect the shenanigans from last summer might repeat themselves with Tony at the helm, "we'll just have a push it out another few weeks as a precaution..."

Hopefully it's safe enough to do so.

Very hard to call at the minute with Indian variant on the horizon. But we live in hope.

Very hard to call at the minute with Indian variant on the horizon. But we live in hope.
    And what exactly is so worrying about this variant? Enlighten us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

More transmissable.

AZ only 30% effective against it at one dose. It may necissitate pushing back the re-opening until most people have their second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Apparently it's 100% likely to cause worry in those who only listen to RTE news and Tony Hulahoop...

Pop over the border where they're opening indoor pubs and not worried about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Looks like we're best in class again
    "NO its every other country thats wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You can feel the doubt built up in the usual sources about hospitality reopening. A repeat of last summer is very possible, pushing it out further and further so they review data

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    You can feel the doubt built up in the usual sources about hospitality reopening. A repeat of last summer is very possible, pushing it out further and further so they review data

Who are these usual sources? Everything I've seen has been about an announcement on Friday. July 5th still the mooted date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who are these usual sources? Everything I've seen has been about an announcement on Friday. July 5th still the mooted date.

MM on the CB show didn't seem that confident and referred to the 'outdoor summer' craic

Advertisement