Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

trixi001 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a relative in OZ, and he is very keen to get the vaccine as according to him, COVID is fatal in 1 in 8 cases over 70 - if this is the type of (false) statistics promoted in Oz, shouldn't be much of a problem with the vaccine uptake..

What do you think the “correct” fatality rate is?

If people want to go to Australia later this year won't they be able to fly to New Zealand or Singapore first and continue on to Australia?

Edit: If the borders of those countries are open and Australia's are closed, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you think the “correct” fatality rate is?

The Case Fatality rate seems to be about 3% or average.. that's a one in 33 chance..

Its very difficult to find a split per age anywhere..

I do not believe it is 1 in 8 though...

Did you know 10% of people over 80 are expected to die to every year - thats one in 10 without covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The Case Fatality rate seems to be about 3% or average.. that's a one in 33 chance..

Did you know 10% of people over 80 are expected to die to every year - thats one in 10 without covid...

Total for all ages according to above table is just under 3%, same table for over 70s M&F combined it’s about 8% not 1 in 8

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

If people want to go to Australia later this year won't they be able to fly to New Zealand or Singapore first and continue on to Australia?

Edit: If the borders of those countries are open and Australia's are closed, I mean.

They'll still need a visa to get into Australia if they aren't citizens. If Australia still aren't processing visas then there is no way into Australia regardless of what country they are flying from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Quick question, just from my general observations in daily life, is there anyone here living in Aus that disagrees with the border closure and aussie response?

From my experience, while the international travel ban and the snap lockdowns are a pain, the majority in Aus accept and appreciate that this has given us so much freedom over the past year compared to the rest of the world.

Ive also noticed on this thread (with the exception of the start of the thread, my own comments included, before Aus got their arse into gear), that those looking from the outside in are critising the restrictions, while those living here are defending them.

I think with everything happening in Ireland its hard to imagine anymore how completely normal life is in Australia right now. When relatives call us, the first topic is covid and restrictions, its getting boring every week trying to explain that there are none, everything is open, normal etc. Incomprehensible to them.

Edit: I live in Aus, in case thats not clear from my ramblings above.

Noo wrote: »
    Quick question, just from my general observations in daily life, is there anyone here living in Aus that disagrees with the border closure and aussie response?

From my experience, while the international travel ban and the snap lockdowns are a pain, the majority in Aus accept and appreciate that this has given us so much freedom over the past year compared to the rest of the world.

Ive also noticed on this thread (with the exception of the start of the thread, my own comments included, before Aus got their arse into gear), that those looking from the outside in are critising the restrictions, while those living here are defending them.

I think with everything happening in Ireland its hard to imagine anymore how completely normal life is in Australia right now. When relatives call us, the first topic is covid and restrictions, its getting boring every week trying to explain that there are none, everything is open, normal etc. Incomprehensible to them.

Closing the borders early was the only sensible option. Unfortunately we have a border on the island that for political reasons we were never going to close and the government up there (and their mainland) are pointless to try and be sensible with.

Watching the NRL highlights over the last month or so has been pretty depressing at times. I'm a very jealous person :P

I don't know anyone who who is not delighted, I work with two other Irish guys and a bunch of Brits and its the same story we are all so glad we are where we are....extremely grateful.

I'm happy to defend Australia's response as its been the best one for us, the other alternative has been the European model and really at the moment Europe is like something you scrape off your shoe. Really who in their right minds wants to live like that?

I travel to Europe on business usually at least every 12 to 18 months, I drop into Ireland for a few days when I'm there and its more than enough. My folks come to stay here every 2nd xmas which is better for everyone. We like to holiday in NSW and QLD as we enjoy Jetskiing and boating and there's lots for the kids plus I rather enjoy the comfort of my own car and kids have their bikes and scooters etc. International border closures mean very little to me, sure as a dual passport holder I can get an exemption to leave if I wanted to but where would I go? most destinations are just a total downgrade.

I feel no real need to leave Australia, if I want to go on a sun holiday I can drive there.... if I wanted (I dont) to go on winter skiing holiday I can just drive there. I do however miss the odd trip to Japan as I love the place but no way would trade what I as its went sh!te over there now.

People can poke holes all they want they only see what they want to see, with the exception of Melbourne the country has being running fairly good since last May/June compared to other countries that's near a year huge differnece.... sure there are no tourists but most people are holidaying at home so its not as if the tourism or hospitality is on its knees as it it is Ireland. Its places like Bali and Fiji that are suffering more than Australia. Look at the economy is doing good we came out of the recession and the unemployment is currently 5.6% sure it was 5.1% before covid so its not that shabby, what's it going be in Ireland? and they are concerning themselves with us keeping our borders closed? No thanks you keep your sh!te life.

My folks fully understand the difference and there is no comparison, my mum was delighted to see pictures of my 5yo first day at school... my wife and I pictured with her at her little desk in the classroom all very normal no masks or any of that other sh!te.... little things like that you can only do it once in a lifetime.

Sure the lockdown in Ireland seems to be working and numbers are down to around 300-400 but despite vaccines going for 3 months people are still dying, even Boris Johnson says Britain's success is more to do with lockdowns than the vaccines and the reports of children being affected in Brazil probably mean that there will be restrictions for some time to come. I think vaccines will help but until kids are fully vaccinated they wont be the silver bullet everyone is thinking they will be there will certainly be a lot of caution for some considerable time.

I would love the world to go back to normal asap but I dont think that will be anytime soon, until then I'm happy to live in the comfort of my gilded cage while the rest of the world scrambles to figure it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I can't see New Zealand's borders being open before Australia's. It will quite possibly be done in tandem.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Its completely normal within Australian and has proven to be the correct response, for now, but i feel the zero tolerance of covid may become a millstone if other countries race ahead with their vaccine rollouts and Australia is still shutting down borders in and out. A bit like lockdowns itself, for a year, year and a half people are on board the travel restrictions but if 2021 passes and maybe 2022 aswell without anyone able to get into or out of Australia how will the large % of immigrant people handle not being able to get back to elderly parents, weddings, funerals etc. Alot of the globalised world is dependent on anywhere in the globe being 24 hours away, not so much the case now. As an immigrant i feel Australians can be insular anyway but this will magnify that even more.

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Its completely normal within Australian and has proven to be the correct response, for now, but i feel the zero tolerance of covid may become a millstone if other countries race ahead with their vaccine rollouts and Australia is still shutting down borders in and out. A bit like lockdowns itself, for a year, year and a half people are on board the travel restrictions but if 2021 passes and maybe 2022 aswell without anyone able to get into or out of Australia how will the large % of immigrant people handle not being able to get back to elderly parents, weddings, funerals etc. Alot of the globalised world is dependent on anywhere in the globe being 24 hours away, not so much the case now. As an immigrant i feel Australians can be insular anyway but this will magnify that even more.

I get your point but your basing this on the fact that vaccines are going get everyone out of this situation, the experts are slightly hesitant about that.

Speaking at a gathering of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh in the United Kingdom on Wednesday, Dr David Nabarro, the World Health Organisation's special envoy on COVID-19, said new variants of the virus were wreaking havoc.

"Each week we have seen four and a half million cases being reported and know those are an enormous underestimate," Dr Nabarro said.

"And we are still seeing a really significant number of deaths - nearly three million. What I want to stress is that the pandemic is surging forward everywhere."

So far, three variants of coronavirus have seen epidemiologists sound the alarm, but Dr Nabarro warned it's inevitable more and more new strains will develop.

The warning came as scientists made a devastating revelation - the deadly P1 variant that originated in Brazil, responsible for a surge in serious illness and deaths there, is now itself mutating.

Experts examining the strain fear it is rapidly changing in ways that could make it resistant to vaccines.

RELATED: COVID-19 variants infecting greater numbers of young people

Horrific new waves sparked by variants
    Right across the globe, in the developed world and developing nations, there's a resurgence of COVID-19 cases sparked by new variants of concern.

They're more infectious and cause a more severe illness that lasts longer and is considerably more likely to be fatal.

Unlike the original virus, the strains are seeing young and otherwise healthy people fall ill in large numbers.

Take India, which has recorded more than 180,000 new cases this week alone, bringing its total infection number to a staggering 13.9 million.

At least 172,000 people are dead, but virtually everybody agrees that figure is grossly conservative.

"This sheer tsunami of cases has already overwhelmed the healthcare infrastructure in the state," Dr Shashank Joshi, part of the COVID-19 task force in Mumbai, told The Sun.

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised."

RELATED: Pfizer vaccine could be less effective on South African COVID-19 variant

NED-3586 How Coronavirus mutates - 0
    Scientists fear the rapid rate of infection and spread in India will see potentially devastating mutations of the virus emerge.

Meanwhile, Brazil is in the midst of a devastating surge in new cases, illnesses and deaths, and the country's public health institute has discovered mutations of the local P1 variant.

"We believe it's another escape mechanism the virus is creating to evade the response of antibodies," researcher Felipe Naveca told Reuters.

Vaccines developed to fight COVID-19 target the spike protein of the virus, which it uses to enter and infect cells in the body. Alarmingly, it's in the spike that Brazilian scientists have discovered mutations.

"This is particularly worrying because the virus is continuing to accelerate in its evolution," Dr Naveca said.

The P1 strain is already at least 2.5 times more infectious and is more resistant to antibodies.

Its discovery in parts of Europe and Asia, as well in dozens of American states, has sparked panic.

Those regions are already grappling with the horrific impact of another mutation, the B117 variant, known as the UK strain.

It has been attributed to a surge in new cases in parts of the US and is now the most dominant strain in the country, the Centers for Disease Control confirmed last week.

That's concerning because the strain is between 50 and 70 per cent more infectious than the original strain.

It has already torn through large parts of Western Europe and is behind dramatic surges that sparked renewed lockdowns, including in France.

Things will get worse before they get better
    The UK has turned a very sharp corner in recent months, crushing the curve of new cases, illnesses and deaths, thanks to a combination of tough lockdowns and the rapid rollout of vaccines.

But Dr Nabarro said the hard-hit country is bucking the global trend.

He also warned against complacency, saying a localised outbreak could quickly spread like wildfire, causing a new crisis.

The world is pinning its hopes on the escalated deployment of vaccines bringing the beginning of the end of the crisis.

"I have to stress that I am not 100 per cent sure that the world is going to find it too easy to vaccinate itself out of this pandemic," Dr Nabarro said.

NED-3225-New-COVID-strains-take-hold-in-US - 0
    The reason for that is the emergence of these new variants of concern that can escape the protection of current vaccines.

For example, a third variant of concern - the B1351 strain, or the South African mutation - appears to break through the defences of the robust Pfizer jab.

But yesterday, Moderna announced it has developed an experimental 'booster' of its vaccine that early testing shows is successful in suppressing the B1351 strain.

There's every chance future mutations could be even more resistant to antibodies in vaccines, leaving the world to play a dangerous game of catch-up.

"With very large amounts of virus around, there will be a regular arrival of new variants that are particularly troublesome," he said.

Dr Nabarro added: "That variant problem is going on and on and on as long as we have got a lot of virus around.

"For anybody to say that they are safe because they are vaccinated is more hope than probability.

"We should expect more variants to emerge and escape vaccine protection, that is inevitable, and so globally we should anticipate that this pandemic is going to go on roaring in parts of the world where there are large numbers of people infected."

I think there's nothing wrong with being a bit cautious, and its not as if the rest world will really be moving on.... they are probably going from a Level 10 sh!te situation to a level 5 sh!te situation yes its a big improvement for them but...eh its no thanks from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I get your point but your basing this on the fact that vaccines are going get everyone out of this situation, the experts are slightly hesitant about that.
    Vaccines are going to get everyone out of this situation — at least, in so far as anything is.

But.

It's not a simplistic case of "if you're vaccinated, you're fine, and if you're not vaccinated, you're not fine, but you will be once you're vaccinated". That doesn't work on the individual level, and it doesn't work on the level of whole countries either.

The truth is that nobody's really find until everybody's fine.

In an ideal world, vaccination would proceed as fast as possible, but uniformly throughout the world. Practically everyone in Israel is vaccinated, which is great, but in the meantime there are huge pools of infection elsewhere in the world which, which, through the magic of genetic variation and Darwinian survival, give rise to new variants of the virus all the time, and people in Israel don't know how effectively they are protected against some of the new variants that have already emerged or, it follows, against new variants which will undoubtedly emerge in the coming months and years. So people in Israel aren't Covid-secure until vaccination and the resultant herd immunity are widespread throught the world. Which is why highly-vaccinated Israel still has strict restrictions on, and quarantine requirements associated with, international travel. They're not stupid.

And what's true for Israel is true for every other country on the planet. Covid is highly infectious, and in a globalised world that means that pools of infection anywhere are a threat to everyone.

The international travel restrictions in Australia have been highly successful in minimising Covid infection within the country, to the point that it has now been possible to dismantle nearly all other Covid precautionary measures. The restrictions are tough, and I don't discount the impact on people (like myself) who are cut off from family abroad. But they have delivered what they are supposed to deliver, and I agree with others in this thread that they enjoy remarkably widespread and continuing popular support.

For the reasons mentioned above, when it comes to dismantling the restrictions general vaccination in Australia is not the only thing that matters; Australia will want there to be a highly vaccinated world before it can dismantle its restrictions without a material risk of squandering the gains they have already delivered.

One of the reasons, I think, why Australia has refused to be panicked into the beggar-my-neighbour vaccine competition that is disfiguring Europe is precisely the recognition that it's not in Australia's interests. What Australia wants is the development of conditions which will enable the travel restrictions to be relaxed, and eventually dismantled. That won't be achieved by vaccinating Australia faster than other countries.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Vaccines are going to get everyone out of this situation — at least, in so far as anything is.

But.

It's not a simplistic case of "if you're vaccinated, you're fine, and if you're not vaccinated, you're not fine, but you will be once you're vaccinated". That doesn't work on the individual level, and it doesn't work on the level of whole countries either.

The truth is that nobody's really find until everybody's fine.

In an ideal world, vaccination would proceed as fast as possible, but uniformly throughout the world. Practically everyone in Israel is vaccinated, which is great, but in the meantime there are huge pools of infection elsewhere in the world which, which, through the magic of genetic variation and Darwinian survival, give rise to new variants of the virus all the time, and people in Israel don't know how effectively they are protected against some of the new variants that have already emerged or, it follows, against new variants which will undoubtedly emerge in the coming months and years. So people in Israel aren't Covid-secure until vaccination and the resultant herd immunity are widespread throught the world. Which is why highly-vaccinated Israel still has strict restrictions on, and quarantine requirements associated with, international travel. They're not stupid.

And what's true for Israel is true for every other country on the planet. Covid is highly infectious, and in a globalised world that means that pools of infection anywhere are a threat to everyone.

The international travel restrictions in Australia have been highly successful in minimising Covid infection within the country, to the point that it has now been possible to dismantle nearly all other Covid precautionary measures. The restrictions are tough, and I don't discount the impact on people (like myself) who are cut off from family abroad. But they have delivered what they are supposed to deliver, and I agree with others in this thread that they enjoy remarkably widespread and continuing popular support.

For the reasons mentioned above, when it comes to dismantling the restrictions general vaccination in Australia is not the only thing that matters; Australia will want there to be a highly vaccinated world before it can dismantle its restrictions without a material risk of squandering the gains they have already delivered.

One of the reasons, I think, why Australia has refused to be panicked into the beggar-my-neighbour vaccine competition that is disfiguring Europe is precisely the recognition that it's not in Australia's interests. What Australia wants is the development of conditions which will enable the travel restrictions to be relaxed, and eventually dismantled. That won't be achieved by vaccinating Australia faster than other countries.

Yes I do agree with you but not in the short term, Israel and UK have turned a corner but it wasn't vaccines alone that did that it was very strict restrictions as well as vaccines. That's why when you have people on here thinking everything will be all fine and dandy by July they are kidding themselves.

Leo Varadkar say he is 'increasingly confident' that he will see a return to indoor dining by the end of the summer, sure it will probably be limited capacity and everyone has to remain at the tables like good children, masks etc cant see pubs at the same capacities as we are enjoying and same in other European countries. Its all going be very cautious, and there is nothing wrong with that.... if it all goes tits up in the Northern Hemisphere coming back into winter then Australia needs to hold back reopening which I'm totally fine with.

Yes as Dr David Nabarro says that variants are going be a constant pain until there is little virus left in the world, its a constant game of catch up and people need to realise that. That's why I'm not concerned about Australia being left behind, in other countries it will probably 3 steps forward and 2 steps back sure they will get there but it will be a hard slog for them.

I got my 1st dose of vaccine on Saturday and get my 2nd in two weeks but its now reported by Pfizer that I probably need a 3rd dose within 6 -12 months I was hopeful of vaccines a few weeks ago but now recognise the reality you described above and a bit more reserved now.

It's really not difficult to find a age grade split anywhere. There is literally one on the last page. I suggest you educate yourself before you start questioning others. In short, you are wrong your friend is right.

And a lot of over 80s die every year. Maybe its 1 in 10.
    The 1 in 8 over 70 from covid is extra on top of those numbers. Not to mentino that over 70 is a much bigger group than over 80.
    Total for all ages according to above table is just under 3%, same table for over 70s M&F combined it’s about 8% not 1 in 8

I think you need to check that table again. You've misread it.
    It's not 8% for over 70s. I doesn't give an exact number, but it's very likely to be about 12.5% or 1 in 8. Maybe higher.

I think you need to check that table again. You've misread it.
    It's not 8% for over 70s. I doesn't give an exact number, but it's very likely to be about 12.5% or 1 in 8. Maybe higher.

You say 12.5% and I say 8%, I'm happy to split the difference even though since the 29th Oct we have only had 3 additional deaths.

So would 9.75% suit? considering the original data in the other table was August?

550568.PNG

You say 12.5% and I say 8%, I'm happy to split the difference even though since the 29th Oct we have only had 3 additional deaths.

There’s a big difference between 1in8 and 1in 12.
    Look at the data you quoted. 70-79 is not the same as 70+

There’s a big difference between 1in8 and 1in 12.
    Look at the data you quoted. 70-79 is not the same as 70+

Sorry yes about the confusion, 70-79. my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This appears to be an acknowledgement from Morrisson that for borders to reopen a level,of community cases will have to be tolerated
    https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/scott-morrison-warns-of-1000-covid-cases-a-week/news-story/21cee3b1c324f3e42a55a2464387b825

Perth in 3 day lockdown. Travel to New Zealand again on hold and restrictions in place to flights to other states.

A man who had completed his hotel quarantine and returned a negative test went on with his life going out and about. Others in the community have since tested positive. He was unaware that he had contracted the Indian variant (I think) from a couple who were in an adjacent hotel room. This is an old hotel with inadequate ventilation.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-crisis-timeline-of-events-which-sparked-perth-peel-covid-19-lockdown-ng-b881854861z

I must say, I do like the response from the authorities when it comes to contact tracing. They have publicly listed everywhere the man had been with dates and times. People who were in those places have been swarming to test centres with queues forming up and around street corners. They’ve provided chairs and water for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More extreme stuff from Australia but apparently justified.
    The Australian government will introduce penalties including fines and jail time for anyone who tries to return home from India, with treasurer Josh Frydenberg defending the moves as “drastic” but needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/30/australian-government-may-make-it-a-for-citizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think they've jumped the shark on this.

Woken up by my phone beeping. Messsges from my daughter saying there’s 3 cases in her area. She’s in full on “oh my god” mode and I’m like, “3 cases, that would be nice”.

They’ve been so sheltered from it that any case that does come up in the community is now a big deal. I suppose we were like that early last year too though. I do admire their contact tracing abilities and holding a press conference instantly asking anyone who was in a supermarket between such and such a time to get tested. They’ll have seats and water for you while you wait at testing centres too.

is_that_so wrote: »

is it really that extreme? for the few maybe.

I think the possible alternative would be more extreme . i.e living with covid and failing ...then have to close down an entire country for months, keep people restricted at 5Km basically living like rats scurrying from hole to hole, kids going uneducated for months and healthcare in tatters... and months of restrictions to come.

Oh...wait!!

Justified for the 25 million of us who dont want to live like rats.

There’s no denying that the contact tracing is on another level to ours. You check this list and if you think you were in the same place you go and get a test.

9-BE389-CE-F627-4-B1-A-B193-DDA0106-B33-F0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Im assuming that a screenshot your daughter sent. Youll also see she also has aus Covidsafe app installed (the little australia with the tick). Meaning if her phone was in close proximity to someone elses phone who tested positive she'll be notified as a close contact. Not sure how well its been working but its another line of defense.

Also in NSW we use QR code’s for checking in, records your check in in NSW service app. Which is where your digital licences and registrations is kept.

551956.jpeg

Other states has their own, WA is called safeWA

BankWest Stadium tonight, Wanderers v Sydney FC. Attendance 20K

551958.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah, fans at games is great and all (and also happening in countries that aren't australia btw)but the price of that is threatening citizens who return or even just leave the country with jail and massive fines, closing borders for years and tracking where everyone goes and living under the threat of lockdowns at any moment. Sorry but australia is ****ed up. Enjoy your games though, I'm sure the complete violation of human rights and erosion of freedom is worth it, once you arent someone stranded abroad or someone who ever wants to leave

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/30/australian-government-may-make-it-a-for-citizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

https://www.9news.com.au/national/new-zealand-travel-bubble-australia-coronavirus-international-travel-ban/28a7449c-de8c-4313-b9a0-2f8ab7d02bf3

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah, fans at games is great and all (and also happening in countries that aren't australia btw)but the price of that is threatening citizens who return or even just leave the country with jail and massive fines, closing borders for years and tracking where everyone goes and living under the threat of lockdowns at any moment. Sorry but australia is ****ed up. Enjoy your games though, I'm sure the complete violation of human rights and erosion of freedom is worth it, once you arent someone stranded abroad or someone who ever wants to leave

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/30/australian-government-may-make-it-a-for-citizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

https://www.9news.com.au/national/new-zealand-travel-bubble-australia-coronavirus-international-travel-ban/28a7449c-de8c-4313-b9a0-2f8ab7d02bf3

Ah I would just laugh in your face, so being forced to close your business even if you don’t want to, living on a 5km virtual chain, not being able to visit relatives in nursing homes, fined for unnecessary travel at the airport are these not any different?

There’s 11,000 people leave Australia per month under the understanding if circumstances change they might be delayed coming back they have to sign a wavier in the exemption, they know what they getting themselves into.

The fines and the jail time is to protect the rest of who really don’t want your disease, don’t want to live like rats our human rights must be protected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ah I would just laugh in your face, so being forced to close your business even if you don’t want to, living on a 5km virtual chain, not being able to visit relatives in nursing homes, fined for unnecessary travel at the airport are these not any different?

There’s 11,000 people leave Australia per month under the understanding if circumstances change they might be delayed coming back they have to sign a wavier in the exemption, they know what they getting themselves into.

The fines and the jail time is to protect the rest of who really don’t want your disease, don’t want to live like rats our human rights must be protected too.

I'm not sure any of our restrictions breached human rights, but Australia's have. Namely the lockdown of a tower block.

Restrictions on inward travel, I don't believe restricts human rights (by reducing flights, you prevent people travelling, but don't bar them) If an Australian citizen arrived by sea (there's very few countries where you cannot arrive at a border by land or sea, within reason) they wouldn't be able to deny them entry. If Ireland for example tried restricting flights in the same manor, people would just use the land border with the North.

Preventing people leaving Australia, which I highly doubt the government is doing, would be a clear violation of human rights.

Advertisement