Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-03-2019, 23:04   #16
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
I think if its too windy therel be no snow. The last snow we got in NW at end of January was because cold air was calm. This windy weather will bring snow to Northern Ireland but only slight amonts to Sligo.

Dont see many areas outside Ulster getting much.

Very short lived too once the sun gets to work on it Sunday

Still March seems to be our new Winter

I hope your right. We got snow last weekend don't want anymore. The seasons are really fecked up do. Its supposed to be getting warmer now not colder.
Advertisement
08-03-2019, 23:15   #17
sdanseo

Ah yes, Red Bull. That famous bastion of accurate weather analysis.

How have we not looked to them for the answers before now?
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2019, 23:20   #18
InstaSte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanseo View Post
Ah yes, Red Bull. That famous bastion of accurate weather analysis.

How have we not looked to them for the answers before now?
Well they do employ the use of professional meteorologists..
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2019, 23:31   #19
highdef

I'm with Meteorite58 and Gonzo, in that I currently don't foresee anything too wintry in terms of snow accumulations (or even falling snow), except in some northern areas, mostly high ground. The low would need to a smidgen further south than the current forecast track in order for more populated areas (cough cough...the Greater Dublin Area) to be in with a chance of some white gold.

I'll give judgement tomorrow evening as to what my thoughts are....if I'm online, that is.
08-03-2019, 23:41   #20
Meteorite58

ARPEGE 18Z showing a fair dumping of snow from about 03.00 to about 11.00 Sun in the Northern half of the country , roughly if you draw a line across from Galway to Dublin and above that will be in the firing line , so thinking that it looks like there could be lying snow in that area Sun morning , how long will it last will depend on depth, height of ground and shelter and further wintry showers . Sun is getting strong but in all could see some lying snow much of the day in places that get maybe more than 5 cm and is a bit sheltered .An area with a good coating will in itself help to keep the temp down.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2019, 23:53   #21
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
ARPEGE 18Z showing a fair dumping of snow from about 03.00 to about 11.00 Sun in the Northern half of the country , roughly if you draw a line across from Galway to Dublin and above that will be in the firing line , so thinking that it looks like there could be lying snow in that area Sun morning , how long will it last will depend on depth, height of ground and shelter and further wintry showers . Sun is getting strong but in all could see some lying snow much of the day in places that get maybe more than 5 cm and is a bit sheltered .An area with a good coating will in itself help to keep the temp down.
The precipitation falling during the night time period does help but looking further into the ARPEGE model, DPs are generally a little above 0c (a few areas showing 0c), temperatures are almost all above 0c too. As it stands, I've a feeling that this event will be on the wrong side of marginal for nearly everyone.

Last weekends event showed a lot more potential when the event was less than 36 hours away with cross model agreement between three different models that a decent fall of snow was likely for a large part of Ireland. This time, there's just not enough support being shown.

Let's see what the various models show tomorrow.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 02:00   #22
Mullaghteelin

Send a message via MSN to Mullaghteelin
Sunday afternoon, into the early hours of Monday has a very potent upper cold pool crossing the northern half of the country. Surely coastal counties of the west and north will be in the firing line for nasty squally showers with a risk of thunder?
500hPa temperatures of -40C, usually means sit up and take notice!

I suspect some lucky places will see a significant dumping of snow by Monday morning, even if its all melted again by 11am.
09-03-2019, 04:40   #23
Mount Vesuvius

Fairly potent sleet, snow event especially on higher ground showing up on the HiRes Arome Saturday night, Sunday morning for parts of the country. Some lower levels could do well too.

(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:14   #24
JanuarySnowstor

Met Eireann will very likely issue a snow warning at some stage this morning. Quite a dumping for favoured places in the North and West.
For the rebel county our best chance is Sunday after 3pm when a showery trough crosses the southwest.
Also Wednesday looking quite stormy probably deserves it's own thread
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:23   #25
Mortelaro

Just to say,if people in large towns get a disruptive snowfall again this weekend, the met Éireann website wont be much good to them as of now anyway...
Pretty Bad!!

(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:53   #26
bazlers

Met eirean were quiet bullish for snow overnight on radio 1at 07.55. high ground, Midlands and Ulster most at risk from first band early night then late night/ early morning, Connacht again Ulster and north Midlands obviously high ground in those areas most at risk from disruption.

That's just what I remember taking from forecast this morning, possibly change at lunch and so on...
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 09:06   #27
Wine Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlers View Post
Met eirean were quiet bullish for snow overnight on radio 1at 07.55. high ground, Midlands and Ulster most at risk from first band early night then late night/ early morning, Connacht again Ulster and north Midlands obviously high ground in those areas most at risk from disruption.

That's just what I remember taking from forecast this morning, possibly change at lunch and so on...
Agree I heard it also, Gerry mentioned snow at least 3 times! Two potential waves of snow, overnight and Sunday morning, but from looking at charts it does seem confined to Connacht Ulster and north Midlands....
09-03-2019, 09:08   #28
Tacklebox

It'll be liable to dump anywhere id say, those wind chills will be quite cold.

Anything that falls will more than likely be an icy mix.

Hail sleet and snow id say
09-03-2019, 09:17   #29
ZX7R

Just after reading met earanns forecast and looks to be snow for much of Munster and Leinster tonight interesting
(3) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 09:23   #30
Donegal Storm

A dusting of snow in Letterkenny this morning, already mostly melted away from shaded areas
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion