Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That last stat is grim. I know it proably sounds daft to those who are looking out at soaked ground, but we need the Atlantic back to ensure everyone who really needs rain gets it.

Yeah and I wouldn't call it am interruption to the settled spell when the wettest day this month here was just 2.8mm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The only 'wet gear' we need around these here parts:

main-qimg-aac3c8bab53fad1100b469e82a4a1fd1.webp

New Moon

From the ag report on Met Eireann. National 7 day running day % of average total for the last week, which includes data from Casement (highest) and Claremorris (lowest) for comparison.

E2Devzf.png

Regarding all of the reporting met stations, Mace Hd now the driest (2.0mm up to yesterday) but given that this station seen about 8.0mm today, it remains to be seen if it can maintain this title for another day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo at 13mm for month now after 1mm nearly today but there was nearly 20mm in parts of county Sligo.

Brother says grass in Sligo looks yellower than Spain (where he lives) this year.

Worlds totally messed up in 2020.

I hope everyone who wants rain gets the rain they need because it is a real worry.
    One can’t influence the weather but one can’t help worry about the consequences if the rains don’t come very soon.
    Another settled spell would be an absolute disaster for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In terms of lawns, I was hoping that one of mine which hadn't been cut in 7 weeks (i don't live at the property) would be well stunted but in fact it was thick and green enough that I could barely cut it with a lawnmower at the highest setting. I suppose if i had been cutting it more regularly it would have held less moisture and would have been yellow.

The stations most relevant for me are Dunsany, Mullingar and Ballyhaise all showing well under average rainfall this month so far.

One of my barometers for how dry things are is how many birds are using the trays of water I leave out. Lots of collared doves, pigeons, crows, magpies, starlings, sparrows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've noticed very poor grass growth over the past week. I cut the lawn last Tuesday morning just before the low pressure brought in 5 days of cold and unsettled weather. Despite the fact that it did rain here every day from Wednesday to yesterday the grass did not start growing again properly till yesterday, perhaps it was just too cold for grass growth with temperatures of just 11 or 12C for much of the past week. The grass has since taken a growth spurt since Saturday as the temperatures have lifted up considerably but I can probably hold off on cutting the grass for another few days.

The grass here has become mostly green again but already i'm noticing the yellow tinges starting to reappear with very little rain since Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've noticed very poor grass growth over the past week. I cut the lawn last Tuesday morning just before the low pressure brought in 5 days of cold and unsettled weather. Despite the fact that it did rain here every day from Wednesday to yesterday the grass did not start growing again properly till yesterday, perhaps it was just too cold for grass growth with temperatures of just 11 or 12C for much of the past week. The grass has since taken a growth spurt since Saturday as the temperatures have lifted up considerably but I can probably hold off on cutting the grass for another few days.

The grass here has become mostly green again but already i'm noticing the yellow tinges starting to reappear with very little rain since Saturday.

Grass takes at least a week to respond from such drying, I've planned for 2 week response delay.

Ground is still hot from the warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I cut the lawns over two weeks ago and they have barely grown since. There are a lot of browny patches on the lawns. Also the fields here are a lot thinner than they normally would be

This is because for some of us the weather actually never broke down - we've had very little rain over the last 8 days. We will probably get heavy rain today, but it won't be enough to get the grass back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It is funny that we are here discussing the drought with yellow and orange rainfall warnings in place for much of the country, however, given the nature of these thunderstorms that's the way it is. Even with the thunder in last few days, surely not more than 20% of ireland's surface area received meaningful rain? One weather band from atlantic usually gives close to 100% surface area coverage for this island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It is funny that we are here discussing the drought with yellow and orange rainfall warnings in place for much of the country, however, given the nature of these thunderstorms that's the way it is. Even with the thunder in last few days, surely not more than 20% of ireland's surface area received meaningful rain? One weather band from atlantic usually gives close to 100% surface area coverage for this island
    And with these thunder showers and ground being so hard would most of the rainfall just run off the ground? So lets say one place gets 25mm in a shower,how much of that rainfall will actually soak into the ground.If the high pressure comes in next week these showers might not have much of an effect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport has only recorded 106.4mm of rain since the start of April, with the half a month to go it would be the driest April to June spell for well over 60 years, of course this could still change with 2010 the current lowest at 141.3mm and 1986 having the highest of 447mm.

Where do you get this type of detailed info?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pauldry wrote: »
    Where do you get this type of detailed info?

For Newport it is easy enough just go to https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data.

I have access to some more old local data but that is stored in an basement where I work.

With those showers around the last few days, all but 3 of the Met reporting stations now are coming in with a June total of less than 10mm (Oak Park, Athenry & Claremorris). The national average is now standing at 18.5mm, with both Finner Camp and Casement Aerodrome coming in with the highest values.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like the following week is going to be wetter than average according to the ECM.

Increasing signs too of the Atlantic regaining control over Ireland from this weekend and into next week with plenty of cool and unsettled weather.

MonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20200615_w1.png

This Saturday is starting to trend towards a nationwide washout with the first Atlantic front in almost 4 months rolling through the country.

108-574UK.GIF?16-6

ECMWF_114_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

The possibility of more bands of heavy rain moving south-west to north-east next week with western half of the country most at risk from rain.

ECMWF_168_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was just thinking the same Gonzo when looking at the fax charts this morning, looks like the Atlantic is back from this weekend (maybe) ..if it plays out like programmed, haven't seen a chart like it in a long time.

516629.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same Gonzo when looking at the fax charts this morning, looks like the Atlantic is back from this weekend (maybe) ..if it plays out like programmed, haven't seen a chart like it in a long time.

This does look likely, however it could still go wrong if the low pressures tracks a bit further north and west than expected.

I do think we will be more unsettled generally but I don't think this is going to lead to a write-off summer, this may be just for a week to 10 days. Eastern areas may not see the second band of rain early next week as an east/west split may take place, it will depends on the tracking of these lows and any possible influence from the Azores over south-eastern areas.

If it does pour rain all Saturday and early next week definitely make the most of that rain as it may not continue week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

This does look likely, however it could still go wrong if the low pressures tracks a bit further north and west than expected.

I do think we will be more unsettled generally but I don't think this is going to lead to a write-off summer, this may be just for a week to 10 days. Eastern areas may not see the second band of rain early next week as an east/west split may take place, it will depends on the tracking of these lows and any possible influence from the Azores over south-eastern areas.

If it does pour rain all Saturday and early next week definitely make the most of that rain as it may not continue week after week.

Similar charts have appeared at >5 days over the past few months and when the day came the rain fronts were actually 300 miles further west.

Are these fronts forecast to track all the way across to the east of GB??

Because I think thats the sort of margin of error we need to be sure that they dont end up just brushing our West coast :o

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Similar charts have appeared at >5 days over the past few months and when the day came the rain fronts were actually 300 miles further west.

Are these fronts forecast to track all the way across to the east of GB??

Because I think thats the sort of margin of error we need to be sure that they dont just end up brushing our West coast :o

It's still a bit of a guess game with this weekend. Current guidance with the GFS is showing the low deepening and passing just to our northwest with some very strong winds wrapped around it. It could be fairly warm ahead of the front but turning cooler from Saturday evening into Sunday. At the moment the front is projected to pass through Ireland then up the western seaboard of UK and on into Scotland.

South-eastern parts of the UK may escape this one entirely with some very warm or hot weather there but even that is not guaranteed. I am hoping that this low pressure will push a bit further north earlier than expected leaving Ireland on the warmer and dryer side with the Azores High ridging in after.

GFSOPEU12_120_1.png

Still 3 to 4 days to go with this one so the track of the low and it's influence on Ireland and the UK is still to be locked in, so expect a few more changes between now and then.

This mornings ECM is a bit different, it is keeping the low further west with Leinster staying warm or possibly very warm in places with a bit of influence from that azores. ECM will update in the next few hours and this may change again.

ECMOPEU00_168_2.png

UKMO brings the low in over us but it quickly moves out of the way and we get an extension of the Azores on Monday but this may only be brief.

UKMOPEU12_120_1.png

All to play for still. Basically a shift further east or west by 200 miles will make a massive difference with this one. I feel the north-western half of Ireland will definitely get some influence from this, i'm not so sure yet about the south and east, we may only get a brief brushing with warmer weather either side of the front.

The one thing I don't want to happen is for the low to get stuck close to or over Ireland for days with nowhere to go with several passings of rainbands through Ireland from Saturday and throughout the following week. I wouldn't mind one day of rain from this as long as it moves quickly out of the way and we go back to fine and settled conditions.

• Advertisement

Unless this low goes very deep the second half of June will be very wet and very unsettled most especially in the West where I doubt we will see a prolonged dry spell again for a few weeks if Atlantic takes hold. Then it will be a dry day here and there but rain most days

Euro rain dance for those of us still 'abandoned and dried out'.

I hear the echo of your drums,
    It's in your hands..
    let the rain dance!
    I feel the power of your song
    It's in your call..
    Let the rain fall!

Just might work. :o

New Moon

A lot of rain still needed in Kilkenny.
    One cannot yet say the dry spell has ended here yet as we had just 12.4mm for the entire month so far, and 9.8mm in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Drought definitely over in Kildare. 44mm since yesterday’s evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A month of rain is wanted in the west.wouldnt get enough to wash a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    Drought definitely over in Kildare. 44mm since yesterday’s evening

At a very rough guess, I'd say 1/10 of that in the north of the country where I am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Deficit on the decrease in Dublin.

20.2mm since midnight in Dublin 16. Total for the month now 43.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Deficit on the decrease in Dublin.

20.2mm since midnight in Dublin 16. Total for the month now 43.6mm.

Is there can current moisture deficit map anywhere?

14mm of rain in Sligo for June

Approx 1 to 2mm most days enough to water the plants but not the masses

• Advertisement

Managed to nab 0.8mm here from on/off dribbles throughout the morning. There is even little puddles on the chairs outside the back. Serious stuff.

New Moon

Advertisement