Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop & Scan Ireland

Options
  • 09-06-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I came across Shop and Scan one day. (www.shopandscan.ie).
    I got an email after inquiring about it and to "confirm" to get my equipment delivered.
    Does anyone out there apart of this? Is it good/worth the time?

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I found it too much hassle scanning everything for small reward. But others probably swear by it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Be prepared to wait months for the kit to arrive.

The monthly payment isn't fantastic but the surveys and annual bonuses make it add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think it depends. I did it years ago when I was still living with my parents and gave it up because scanning a full shop for a family of 5 was a pain in the ass. I started it again in February and find it fine because I only shop for two people and never get more than a couple of bags of shopping at a time. The monthly reward amount isn't great but there are other bonuses and competitions. I won a nice boost of 1000 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I think it depends. I did it years ago when I was still living with my parents and gave it up because scanning a full shop for a family of 5 was a pain in the ass. I started it again in February and find it fine because I only shop for two people and never get more than a couple of bags of shopping at a time. The monthly reward amount isn't great but there are other bonuses and competitions. I won a nice boost of 1000 points.

Well it's only me I'm buying for... I've seen a few old threads on other sites, English I think and I'm confused what the process is: so far I've got that you scan the item with a machine, you've to write down what the items were, and you've to email copies of your receipts to your account? Is that right, or totally wrong? Sorry about the questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

They are part of Kantar research - you'll read every month about Tesco being #1 retailer or Supervalu getting joint share, Aldi growing etc etc. This is all completed by Kantar research based on a random selection of about 3000 shopping baskets. They also do substantial research on trends, brand awareness, brand/own label purchasing etc.

Food processors and retailers then purchase the research to keep on trend.

The 3000 would need to be representative of the shopping population, so they probably ask age group, how many in houeshol, gender etc so that their group is a fair represtation of the demographics of the country.

Once you match a demographic they need , they accept you and you do whatever is required.

It is not a "rewards" or "cashback" operation, you do not go to specific shops, you do not have to buy specific products, but they do pay you for participating as you are aiding their research.

Think of it as a supermarket version of mystery shopping or film extra.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The current process is you scan each item. The logbook is for very long standing panellists only - I've had the scanner for at least 8 if not 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You are eventually supplied with a small hand held scanner with which you scan the bar code of each item.

You input the price of the item on the same device. You have a small booklet provided with the device which you also use in conjunction with this - it's full of barcodes for various shops, items, special offer types, etc.. After you input all items, you place the handset in a cradle/charger unit that uploads the data to the base.

In fairness, if you fail to include every small shop, it's not the end of the world, but if you do begin to neglect submitting data, they will get in touch. If you are going on hols, drop them a line and they will ask you to send a reactivation signal when you return.

Each month you are awarded points for completing the task, and each birthday and each full year after joining you are awarded bonus points. One of the nice things is you can select Amazon UK e-vouchers as a reward option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I've been a member for well over 10 years. No idea how I first heard about it. It's simple really. You simply scan your shoppings barcodes and enter the price. I find it handy cos it helps me see if a shop have screwed the pricing etc on a product.

I also find the rewards handy. Have always used them for the Amazon UK vouchers and got some excellent parcels of stuff delivered that didn't cost me more than a little bit of time. Actually gonna put in another order based soley off of ShopAndScan points today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

You are eventually supplied with a small hand held scanner with which you scan the bar code of each item.

I'd guess that delivery would depend on your details and whether they have requirement for you - if not, you'd go on a waiting list just like any marketing panel.
    They need to make sure that their group of inputters reflect the population mix of the country.

delahuntv wrote: »
    I'd guess that delivery would depend on your details and whether they have requirement for you - if not, you'd go on a waiting list just like any marketing panel.
    They need to make sure that their group of inputters reflect the population mix of the country.

It can take 12 weeks after acceptance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been scanning for 6-7 years now I'd say. Easy process. It's not massive money, but if you leave it accumulate and draw down once a year, there's about €100 in it.

When you get your shopping home, you take out the hand held scanner and you scan every item, using the barcode book in parallel. It's easy enough after a while. Then replace the scanner in the cradle and the data is transmitted back to base.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

We been doing it for about 10 years, we try to scan only when shopping is straight forward, we do not scan every shopping we do, for example if we have lots of offers, discounts or money off. Some discount yellow stickers from tesco/M&S might not scan correctly. Also in lidl/aldi some of the veg might not have barcode. With time you will see what is best to scan.

As others it's great to leave the money there to accumulate and exchange for Amazon vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I see people saying it takes ages to get their scanner. I accepted the invitation on the 8th of this month and I got it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I see people saying it takes ages to get their scanner. I accepted the invitation on the 8th of this month and I got it today.

Yes, I got mine yesterday! I wasn't expecting it so soon, and I applied to get it after reading the good comments on this after making the first post.

And I would like to thank everyone for your responses : )
    S : )

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Does this work by more shopping bought/scanned the higher the rewards, the actual cost of the shopping or neither?

piperh wrote: »
    Does this work by more shopping bought/scanned the higher the rewards, the actual cost of the shopping or neither?

Neither. Fixed monthly payment, anniversary/Christmas bonuses and the odd survey.

They can't be seen to induce demand for spending in any way as its meant to collate an accurate picture of the overall retail market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 years, it's easy enough and the rewards are handy for Christmas, I won a draw they did recently and got €100 worth of points,I was delighted as I never win anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What is the Christmas bonus for scanning all through the month of December? How much?

IIRC The Christmas bonus applies if you scan the traditional foodstuffs, i.e. turkey or ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

It's not. It's just for scanning over the period. If it was just for turkey and ham and the likes I'd never get it as I don't buy them.

• Advertisement

You're right - found this in my email. I was getting confused with the Christmas draw that they run which you can enter if you've purchased a turkey or ham.
    Did you know that if you scan regularly over Christmas and keep your scanner plugged in you can earn extra points?

All you need to do is keep scanning over Christmas and keep your scanner plugged in at all times and we will give you 1000 points in the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Gormal

I just joined, but can't get the photos of the till receipts to upload...... any ideas/help/suggestions?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You don't need to upload photos of till receipts with Shop and Scan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Gormal wrote: »
    I just joined, but can't get the photos of the till receipts to upload...... any ideas/help/suggestions?

With Shop and Scan you do not take pictures of receipts to upload, you scan the bar code of the product and key the price you paid for it. Unless they do more than 1 process for the Shop and Scan than I'm not aware of, if they do someone else should be able help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Gormal wrote: »

You must be mixing it up with Reep
    No need for photographs to be uploaded with shop and scan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

. I joined shop and scan this week but I am not able to upload the scans of my receiptson no matter what I try. I have tried different allowed formats and sizes down to 59kb. The upload keeps failing for a server error 26. If I go over roughly 100-200kb it fails for exceeding a server limit. I have tried using both a mobile and laptop to upload. Has anyone come across this and if so what was the solution? I am nearly at the stage of giving up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

miamee wrote: »
    You don't need to upload photos of till receipts with Shop and Scan.

There are 2 versions of shop and scan. One is what you have where you have to enter each amount and the other is one you need to ask for where you scan each barcode and upload either a scan or pic of the receipt. I have not been able to upload either as of yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I see. It sounds like this is a new departure for them and they are having teething errors. I've done Shop & Scan for years and only ever had to scan the barcodes and input prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

miamee wrote: »
    I see. It sounds like this is a new departure for them and they are having teething errors. I've done Shop & Scan for years and only ever had to scan the barcodes and input prices :)

I am with them for years too and only scan the barcodes and input prices too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Gormal

Thanks Bromley52 glad it's not just me then.

For everyone else, their website has the option to "upload till receipts" once you login and the deadline every week is midnight on Sunday.

Advertisement