Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So are you single? Argos style....

• 14-08-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://extra.ie/2020/08/13/news/real-life/argos-delivery-driver-report

Don't wanna read the article? Well then...
    - Argos delivery driver drops off an item a customer ordered. All well and grand so far.
    - later that day he sends her a text asking if she was single.
    - obviously got her number off the docket and blatant breaking the rules of GDPR.
    - she posts the texts to Argos Facebook.
    - she now feels "unsafe" ( €€€ )

Well that's his job lost :pac:
    He was chancing his arm obviously but stupid move, man. Should have been thinking.
    As for her... It was unwanted so yeah it's not right but "unsafe" to me whacks of wanting compensation.

Because it's funny in this world as anyone who seeks compensation always feels either unsafe, mental anguish, emotionally unwell blah blah.

It's funny because if this 20 years ago you'd have some people just ringing the guy up in question, tearing him a new arsehole then ringing the shop to give out loads to the manager or what not. But hey... Sue sue sue :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Free money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What he did was seriously creepy.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Horny man does stupid thing. He should have had a **** and moved on. Idiotic and weird thing to do. What was he expecting like, "oh yeah, I remember you, hot delivery guy. Come on over and we can have some sexy time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Creepy as hell. She was right to go after argos and him tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Creepy as **** behaviour. He deserves to lose the job for it. Just because it's the first time he got caught doesn't mean it's the first time he was at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't know how she will ever get over that lifechanging incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A man who knows where she lives and has access to a possibly unmarked van checking to see if there'd be anyone else in the house when you're at work??

He might be a burglar, not a creep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

She knew he was an argos delivery driver... instant turn-off! :P

If he was a plumber, who came in and saved the day by plugging up a bad leak... saving her house/apartment - he'd be on a 2nd date by now! :D

and he knows where she lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

He should have had a **** and moved on.

That's what I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Horny man does stupid thing. He should have had a **** and moved on. Idiotic and weird thing to do. What was he expecting like, "oh yeah, I remember you, hot delivery guy. Come on over and we can have some sexy time".

I think that might have made it worse.

I think that might have made it worse.

I know what you mean... if it ends up being a really great ****, then he will always associate that awesome **** with this random woman!

Before you know it, he'll be sitting in his car **** outside her house... then with a criminal record for indecent exposure... he'll be on the sex offenders register within a couple of years. His life will be over, and all for what? It can happen... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Why doesn't she just text him back and say no and don't text again thanks. Don't see how it's creepy at all by him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I know what you mean... if it ends up being a really great ****, then he will always associate that awesome **** with this random woman!

Before you know it, he'll be sitting in his car **** outside her house... then with a criminal record for indecent exposure... he'll be on the sex offenders register within a couple of years. His life will be over, and all for what? It can happen... :pac:

I just assumed it would have been immediately after the delivery in the van. I assume that's what they're doing when they hang around after the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

FFS Man asks girl out. Girl not interested. Big deal. What is the matter with people? Are you only allowed ask a girl out if you don't know where she lives now? Stop the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

She also added that she would be ‘reporting this to trading standards’ and ‘also the government’.!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The lads that don't see anything wrong with it are equally scary, and the reason behaviour like that takes place at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Oberkon wrote: »
    She also added that she would be ‘reporting this to trading standards’ and ‘also the government’.!!

What a vindictive bitch. He had a lucky escape if you ask me. Imagine if it had gone well and he ended up marrying herr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Inappropriate but some of her quotes are ludicrous.

Why doesn't she just text him back and say no and don't text again thanks. Don't see how it's creepy at all by him tbh.
    Yes, why doesn't she politely reject him? Because that always works out perfectly for women?
    Truthvader wrote: »
    What a vindictive bitch. He had a lucky escape if you ask me. Imagine if it had gone well and he ended up marrying herr

Careful, your misogyny is showing......

• Advertisement

using somebody's contact details you got from working with their info to ask them out after meeting them once is insane behaviour.

insane.

trying to handwave that away as if its normal is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Reverse it. Suppose it was a woman looking for to see if he was single. What would the man do.
    If it was me I would hope it was a new bed I'd ordered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rom-coms written today would be very short, 10min of romcom, 80min of Midnight Express

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I had a creep on the girls Facebook page and she's having a real go at the Mail over an article they wrote about her concerning this....... Part of me thinks tough you made the issue public on Argos Facebook page but equally the complaint was warranted...... She seems quite genuine and reasonable that it wasn't money she was after in the Facebook post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I don't think most lads appreciate how scary some behaviour can seem, even if from an outsiders perspective it doesn't appear particularly threatening.

Like, this guy went to her home, then swiped her number off the order info and texted her later. Most of the time if you reject a stranger who asks you out they don't know where you live. Even leaving aside the data protection and corporate policy issues, we have absolutely no idea how he came across to her in person, she might have had every reason to be afraid of what he'd do. Even if he was completely pleasant and they got along well that's weird stalker behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I don't think most lads appreciate how scary some behaviour can seem, even if from an outsiders perspective it doesn't appear particularly threatening.

Like, this guy went to her home, then swiped her number off the order info and texted her later. Most of the time if you reject a stranger who asks you out they don't know where you live. Even leaving aside the data protection and corporate policy issues, we have absolutely no idea how he came across to her in person, she might have had every reason to be afraid of what he'd do. Even if he was completely pleasant and they got along well that's weird stalker behaviour.
    But but... if she fancied him, lol she'll never get over this life changing event (said by the guy who'd be the ultimate hard man about it if it were his daughter), women... etc.

This guy probably would have come off much less creepy, if he'd actually had the stones to just ask her out in person... rather than texting her after he leaves.

Obviously there is a way to do this, and you don't ask someone out while you are inside their house/apartment... because that could possibly be creepy and scary too.

You just ask her out in joking/jovial style as you are heading back to your van. Pay her a compliment first - nothing sleezy or weird. If she turns you down, so be it... nothing creepy about that approach in my opinion.

This guy probably was trying to avoid face-to-face rejection, but ends up looking creepy as a result of his lack of courage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

But but... if she fancied him, lol she'll never get over this life changing event (said by the guy who'd be the ultimate hard man about it if it were his daughter), women... etc.

This is also a ****ty attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She knew he was an argos delivery driver... instant turn-off! :P

If he was a plumber, who came in and saved the day by plugging up a bad leak... saving her house/apartment - he'd be on a 2nd date by now! :D
    What kind of online videos do you be watching?

There are some "opportunities" you should never take advantage of when looking for a partner, this is one of them.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    OH NO A GUY LITERALLY TEXTED ME HELP!!!!!
    You're right, if she doesn't want random lads texting her, why does she have a phone......
    She probably answered the door in a skirt as well
    This is also a ****ty attitude.
    I suspect it's a sarcastic dig at lads who hold that opinion, but who knows anymore.

flazio wrote: »
    What kind of online videos do you be watching?

There are some "opportunities" you should never take advantage of when looking for a partner, this is one of them.

T'was a joke buddy... wind your neck back in! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

using somebody's contact details you got from working with their info to ask them out after meeting them once is insane behaviour.

insane.

trying to handwave that away as if its normal is ridiculous

I.. I..... Cannot finish my post.
    Your reply gave me mental anguish, now I feel unsafe.

Am gonna sue the hole off you ... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When people do this they either end up telling the story for years to come as the hilarious and romantic way they met or one of them gets very offended by it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

She wont answer the door in her nightgear again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

All I can think of is this scene from fletch

https://youtu.be/OQPgJ21MPxU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My wife and her friends would have a good laugh if this happened to any of them

But that's older women for you

Not like today's breed of absolute morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I read the text and he sounds thirsty. But I kinda feel sorry for him and his innocent way of basically asking her for a date. I don't like the way it has exploded in on top of him. And all because she wanted fb to know before the relevant complaints department.. actually not before anything,.it should never have been posted on fb at-all.

My wife and her friends would have a good laugh if this happened to any of them

But that's older women for you

Not like today's breed of absolute morons

I would have a laugh as well. If I were single and thought he was attractive then I might actually be glad and praise his ingenuity.

But sure lookit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Truthvader wrote: »

Imagine if he was a stalker with sinister intent and she'd just shrugged it off and didn't report him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Unless he was creepy in person I think this is an overreaction.

If I started a thread about a man I fancied that lived/worked me and asked for advice on starting a conversation I'd imagine most of the advice would be to go for it. He had her number in front of him on delivery documents and he went for it.

A lot of companies and people we haven't met in person have our names, addresses, numbers etc available to them. Delivery and taxi drivers know where we live and when we're out, yet we're all still here.

He made a mistake and probably thought it would seem romantic.

I would have a laugh as well. If I were single and thought he was attractive then I might actually be glad and praise his ingenuity.

But sure lookit.

Honest question, are you a woman?

A decade ago I might have agreed with you, and maybe it was an innocent **** up. But every single girl I know has a story about a guy crossing boundaries and being a dick when they're told no, and on more than 1 occasion I've had to do the pretend boyfriend bit, so while I can see why someone might laugh it off or even find it cute, I can very easily see how she views it as someone who knows where she lives crossing both personal and professional barriers and why she's mad and scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not really, dumb beyond belief yes but creepy it's not.

Storm in a teacup nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It is a bit like Sleepless In Seattle, but with ordinary looking people, and vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Imagine if he was a stalker with sinister intent and she'd just shrugged it off and didn't report him?

I think people are more angry that she posted it on fb. All that is about her telling people::look how beautiful I am, can you believe this text I got... Upping her profile,not caring about the damage she is doing to others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Aaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I work with the public and have had this in reverse from customers, men and women. It doesn't really bother me but maybe its different if you are a woman and get a message like that from a man. an ex of mine got a similar text from a guy that came to her house selling broadband.

I sometimes meet women while doing my job and get a vibe off them that they are interested but I would never text or call them first, that is very unprofessional.

I think people are more angry that she posted it on fb. All that is about her telling people::look how beautiful I am, can you believe this text I got... Upping her profile,not caring about the damage she is doing to others.
    Or it's the most direct way to make a complaint in 2020....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How someone can read that and go “yeah, she’s definitely the one I’m going to direct my ire at” is beyond me. What that guy did was seriously creepy, he knows where she lives, has her phone number. She was dead right to take that as far as possible.
    The fact he even thought that was a good idea.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Honest question, are you a woman?

A decade ago I might have agreed with you, and maybe it was an innocent **** up. But every single girl I know has a story about a guy crossing boundaries and being a dick when they're told no, and on more than 1 occasion I've had to do the pretend boyfriend bit, so while I can see why someone might laugh it off or even find it cute, I can very easily see how she views it as someone who knows where she lives crossing both personal and professional barriers and why she's mad and scared.

I am a woman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement