25-11-2020, 23:03   #286
Agent_47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
Completely on a hunch but I am convinced we will see snow towards second half of December. Can just feel it coming, been such a weird weather year. Amazing from March to early June, crap summer and then very pleasant in September and part of a October. November relatively dry and just have a feeling as lockdown lifts we will get some snow. Something decent has to come out of this year.

BELIEVE :-)
Think chances of having a 3rd lockdown are more certain than snow in December
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-11-2020, 07:01   #287
daniel_t1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_47 View Post
Think chances of having a 3rd lockdown are more certain than snow in December
Wouldn't really consider this a second lock down, more just increased restrictions.
26-11-2020, 14:23   #288
Oneiric 3

26-11-2020, 14:47   #289
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
Completely on a hunch but I am convinced we will see snow towards second half of December. Can just feel it coming, been such a weird weather year. Amazing from March to early June, crap summer and then very pleasant in September and part of a October. November relatively dry and just have a feeling as lockdown lifts we will get some snow. Something decent has to come out of this year.

BELIEVE :-)
Have a look at " Life below Zero" on youtube. SNOW from start to finish. totally addictive and enthralling. Sheer snow . Being lived in fully.

Last edited by Graces7; 26-11-2020 at 16:57.
26-11-2020, 17:26   #290
hatrickpatrick

There is a fair amount of chatter about potential stratospheric disruption beginning to appear towards the tail end of FI runs in both the ECM and GFS ensembles. Not enough yet in my view to warrant setting up a dedicated stratosphere thread (how many times in recent years have warmings appeared in FI only to continually hover around the +300h mark for days and never move closer to reality) but it's definitely something to keep an eye on - there seems to be a growing feeling that a PV split in January may eventually be on the cards.

Of course, even if this does happen, as we saw two winters ago, it's possible to have a stratospheric split which fails to downwell quickly enough to impact our weather before Spring begins. Indeed, I could never shake the feeling that the utterly crappy -NAO setup we had for most of Spring and Summer in 2019 may have been influenced by the extremely slow downwelling of that winter's PV split, although I realise this is unlikely to have had an impact lasting for nearly as long as the horrendous omega block we ended up on the wrong side of that summer. Definitely couldn't help feeling that the late Spring dreariness might have been related, however.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-11-2020, 17:44   #291
sryanbruen

I already set up the stratosphere watch thread hatrickpatrick

Looks like a standard minor warming to me that we see a few of every winter pretty much.
(2) thanks from:
26-11-2020, 19:14   #292
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
I already set up the stratosphere watch thread hatrickpatrick

Looks like a standard minor warming to me that we see a few of every winter pretty much.
Yeah, Ventrice doesn't make much of it either. Although is there any chance that all the blocking in the troposphere could have a significant effect on the stratosphere in the longer term, or is this warming over Siberia the best we can hope for. Do you think a major warming could happen later this winter?
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 22:22   #293
Oneiric 3

Stat warming is false hope for cold lovers. Every year around this time it is the same story. It is pretty much like the concept that the 'jet stream' dictates large scale weather patterns, when in reality it is the large scale weather patterns that dictate the position of the jet stream. Winter is coming, and that will be the most important determiner of all as to whether we got a good cold, snowy spell or not.

I think it is amusing though that I observed more frosty mornings in September than I have done in Oct/Nov combined.
Thanks from:
27-11-2020, 02:41   #294
Little snowy old me

I hear there's s big snowstorm on the way.....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2020, 08:06   #295
snowstorm445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little snowy old me View Post
I hear there's s big snowstorm on the way.....
Good morning all.

No but seriously I'm feeling quite fatalist about this winter already - a few winters ago we always still had the element of "oh well we don't even know how the weather will play out beyond next week, let's see what happens".

Now we've had a such a consistent string of back to back poor winters that we have a good idea how they will shape up in advance - the conditions, the patterns, particularly how the polar vortex behaves etc. And this year predictably seems to be heading that way once again.
27-11-2020, 08:07   #296
Slashermcguirk

Great to see first big frost arriving here in Dublin just before winter officially kicks in
27-11-2020, 08:08   #297
Slashermcguirk

WTF? We had an incredible winter as recently as 2018! Like over a metre of snow in places. The negativity on here never seizes to amaze me. Winter starts next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm445 View Post
Good morning all.

No but seriously I'm feeling quite fatalist about this winter already - a few winters ago we always still had the element of "oh well we don't even know how the weather will play out beyond next week, let's see what happens".

Now we've had a such a consistent string of back to back poor winters that we have a good idea how they will shape up in advance - the conditions, the patterns, particularly how the polar vortex behaves etc. And this year predictably seems to be heading that way once again.
27-11-2020, 09:41   #298
daniel_t1409

at this stage, I'll be happy if we just get a solid 2 weeks of cold clear weather
(4) thanks from:
27-11-2020, 11:06   #299
daniel_t1409

Another brilliant morning here in wexford. Very cold, but nice and sunny
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2020, 11:28   #300
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
first frost of the season here in Meath, great to see it at last.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion