Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an online/real life stalker?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jaysus my life seems so boring/normal.. Thank fluck for that.

Reading some of these posts makes me wonder what the hell happened to some of these stalkers to make them act like this. How do they justify acting like this in their own head?

I really do pity people who have to deal with this on a daily basis. Physical abuse is bad, but this type of psychological abuse brings things to a whole new level of depravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It's amazing what people will put up with so as not to be alone.
    Then again, she could be scared to leave him.
    Horrible situation, I hope they don't have children:(

no children yet thankfully, but I do hear she wants them.

I also hear he is exceptionally emotionally abusive towards her and uses her want to have kids as leverage.

He would drop her in a heartbeat out on her ear the second something he considers better comes along.

I feel bad for her, but by the same measure she is as nasty and conniving as he is.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Jaysus my life seems so boring/normal.. Thank fluck for that.

Reading some of these posts makes me wonder what the hell happened to some of these stalkers to make them act like this. How do they justify acting like this in their own head?

I really do pity people who have to deal with this on a daily basis. Physical abuse is bad, but this type of psychological abuse brings things to a whole new level of depravity.

In my case I strongly believe the guy is at a minimum has narcissistic personality disorder, but I suspect more so that he is a sociopath as he brags about being one like a badge of honour on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    J

sad lonely people with too much time on their hands me thinks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I had a lot of hassle from an ex boyfriend after I dumped him. It’s years ago now so I can’t remember all the details, but he was texting a lot, calling round, writing to my workplace and actually slept in his car outside my apartment. Eventually had to get the guards to have a word with him. It was pre smartphones so I couldn’t block him from my phone, I contacted Vodafone st the time and they wouldn’t do anything without getting a request from the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

fryup wrote: »
    sad lonely people with too much time on their hands me thinks :cool:

Not always or just that. Some of these stalkers go on to be murderers or violent, some have serious anger problems. Did you see that lovely looking girl who had the head kicked off her by her ex recently enough, it on the papers and TV, I think? The CCTV footage of that assault was absolutely horrible. He lay in wait for her - in other words he stalked her.
    I have zero problems with people who are sad, zero problems with people who are lonely - these are very ordinary, human conditions which we all will experience to lesser or greater extents and they do not provoke most people to stalk. Although, it is true that in some people they may provoke some minor preoccupation. But people who seriously stalk are unsettled in other ways, me thinks, and sometimes they are very dangerous people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Zorya wrote: »
    Not always or just that. Some of these stalkers go on to be murderers or violent, some have serious anger problems. Did you see that lovely looking girl who had the head kicked off her by her ex recently enough, it on the papers and TV, I think? The CCTV footage of that assault was absolutely horrible. He lay in wait for her - in other words he stalked her.
    I have zero problems with people who are sad, zero problems with people who are lonely - these are very ordinary, human conditions which we all will experience to lesser or greater extents and they do not provoke most people to stalk. Although, it is true that in some people they may provoke some minor preoccupation. But people who seriously stalk are unsettled in other ways, me thinks, and sometimes they are very dangerous people.

I agree 100% here. have a google of revenge obsession.

Horrible horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I had a lot of hassle from an ex boyfriend after I dumped him. It’s years ago now so I can’t remember all the details, but he was texting a lot, calling round, writing to my workplace and actually slept in his car outside my apartment. Eventually had to get the guards to have a word with him. It was pre smartphones so I couldn’t block him from my phone, I contacted Vodafone st the time and they wouldn’t do anything without getting a request from the guards.

Yeah, my story is similar. Nothing too crazy but I was so uncomfortable with it at the time.

I went out with a guy for a few weeks in college, it was nothing serious - we didn't even get around to having sex. It was for a very short time. I broke it off with him because he was a bit full on and I wasn't really interested. He had dropped out of our course by this stage so I thankfully didn't have to see him in college.

After that he'd call me whenever he was drunk and leave voice messages crying about how heartbroken he was and abusing me if he thought I had been with other guys. Then the next day I'd always get a text message apologising and saying he couldn't remember calling me and trying to start a conversation. I sent one message back once asking him not to contact me again and after that I ignored all of it.

I started going out with another boy and he heard it on the grapevine and that sent him in to overdrive with the voicemails for a little while.

He'd turn up "randomly" at things I was at when nobody had actually invited him along. This was pre social media (even bebo!) so I'm not even sure how he knew where I'd be. I think he was pumping people for information.

At the end of the college year, about 6 months after we'd "broken up" he went out of his way to go in to the college to check the exam results which were posted on a noticeboard. He'd memorised my student number and went to see how I'd done (the results were listed by number only). I'd failed an exam and he couldn't resist texting me about it gloating. He told a classmate he'd done that and the guy told him that was a really weird thing to do (it was great he had my back) and after that the calls and messages stopped and I think he moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Yes, I had to leave my whats app on account of a former friend who kept sending me crazy and often abusive messages. The guy has mental problems and believes in all kinds of conspiracy theories and became a right nuisance. I dont know if counts technically as stalking but sending 50+ messages a day of all hours of day and night just became too much to handle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Yes, I had to leave my whats app on account of a former friend who kept sending me crazy and often abusive messages. The guy has mental problems and believes in all kinds of conspiracy theories and became a right nuisance. I dont know if counts technically as stalking but sending 50+ messages a day of all hours of day and night just became too much to handle

You just perfectly described the WhatsApp group I'm in with my best friends.......

They are not stalkers thankfully, just mental cases who like to discuss conspiracy theories and annoy me with 99+ notifications of absolute sh1te-talk when I'm busy at work......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some loon followed me around on youtube for years. He used to post 'Go on my son' after all my comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Some loon followed me around on youtube for years. He used to post 'Go on my son' after all my comments.

Brilliant and worrying in equal measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I was a 10 year old stalker.
    An Australian jockey moved to our road and I stood outside his gate every morning trying to get a look at him.
    Now I bet on the horses, and stuff. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

is that a joke? don't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    is that a joke? don't get it
    Nothing to "get".
    The truth. I waited outside his house each morning until he arrived home from the gallops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've a very intrusive relative who can be devious about finding out where I am and what I'm doing which feels a bit like stalking to me . He turned up at the driving test centre when I was doing mine, and followed me into hospital by asking what department /ward, at reception desk/s, using my date of birth . It'd be nice to know hospitals wouldn't give that information out...what if someone had an actual dangerous stalker who tracked them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Surprised nobody has mentioned eternal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Surprised nobody has mentioned eternal yet.

Sshhhhhh.

Advertisement