Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jim Mansfield R.I.P

• 29-01-2014 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭

Jim Mansfield has died. I for one am sorry, I found him a decent man to deal with. Pity he was so battered financially towards the end.
    Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I knew a Father Clint power once?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Jim Mansfield has died. I for one am sorry, I found him a decent man to deal with. Pity he was so battered financially towards the end.

Hadn't heard this. I hope his financial woes were not the underlying cause. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The man who developed City West and had his own airport out that direction too. Got a doing for trying to build a conference centre there without Planning Permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Yep, he built his empire from nothing, starting off in scrap metal I believe. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The man who developed City West and had his own airport out that direction too. Got a doing for trying to build a conference centre there without Planning Permission.
    .. bribing the right FF planning officials.

RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There is something admirable about a person who bought up a load of scrap metal left over from a conflict thousands of miles away and sold it on for millions.

He invested his wealth in his local area, put some run down parts of west Dublin on the map and provided jobs for hundreds.

However, his scant regard for the planning laws and poor taste in architecture leave a lot to be desired. But thats for another day.

May he R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I spoke to a close friend of his today, one of Irelands former wealthiest men, also battered at this stage and he said Jim was one of the cleverest men he'd ever met - he didn't even have a Father growing up yet dragged himself to the heights. I think his legacy - Citywest, has brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people and it seemed a bit off not to even see a mention of his passing. Anyway, condolences to his family. The financial travails couldn't have done his health much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

His gravestone will have planning I take it?

MadsL wrote: »
    His gravestone will have planning I take it?

Hopefully not, just for the craic. I think he would have liked that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Thought the usual AH RIP whores would've been all over this hours ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yes, it is incredible how a private airport with little or no customs checks on the fringes of a small city became such a success.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mansfield-jet-trafficking-led-by-former-ira-activist-26417006.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The man who developed City West and had his own airport out that direction too.

Weston airport. I flew in and out if it on many occasions. No longer the owner of it, I believe.
    sabat wrote: »
    Yes, it is incredible how a private airport with little or no customs checks on the fringes of a small city became such a success.

An awful lot of the flight schools for pilot training are based out there. I'd guess that is where they make their money.

genericguy wrote: »
    Thought the usual AH RIP whores would've been all over this hours ago.

I don't think I'm a member of that club. I was just genuinely saddened to hear he had passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Still ended up another developer who borrowed money he couldn't repay. Easy to be a big developer with RR , jet etc back in the day when you borrowed against inflated assets, built what you felt like without permission and did not make sure monies would be available to pay back debts.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mansfield-jet-trafficking-led-by-former-ira-activist-26417006.html

That bullsh1t dogged his life - "a reputation" - which was based on utter b0llox - he was a businessman. The fact he rubbed the establishment up the wrong way contributed to a lot of the false smears and innuendo. He got kicked down at every turn but still bulled on.

That bullsh1t dogged his life - "a reputation" - which was based on utter b0llox - he was a businessman. The fact he rubbed the establishment up the wrong way contributed to a lot of the false smears and innuendo. He got kicked down at every turn but still bulled on.

By building without planning permission on borrowed money? What a hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

bullsh1t

false smears

innuendo

Really? So his private jet wasn't being used for importing drugs?

Really? So his private jet wasn't being used for importing drugs?

If I hire you a car you get to do what you like with it. Regardless, I'm not getting into a cake-fight, I just thought it was sad he died.

If I hire you a car you get to do what you like with it. Regardless, I'm not getting into a cake-fight, I just thought it was sad he died.

Wait. There's cake? When's the funeral?

• Advertisement

Wait. There's cake? When's the funeral?

Some people emigrate and are really no loss. Do you not have an e-mail or text to be getting aggravated about?.

Some people emigrate and are really no loss. Do you not have an e-mail or text to be getting aggravated about?.

I cost the country much less than this bloke when I left.

I'm baffled how you find it sad that someone who's debts are now being serviced by the nation who dies at 75 to be 'sad'.

"Sad" how exactly?

I cost the country much less than this bloke when I left.

I'm baffled how you find it sad that someone who's debts are now being serviced by the nation who dies at 75 to be 'sad'.

"Sad" how exactly?

Well done. You probably created jobs for far more people and had a nicer hotel too. I'm thrilled for you. Sad as in I'm sad he's dead sort of sad.

Well done. You probably created jobs for far more people and had a nicer hotel too. I'm thrilled for you. Sad as in I'm sad he's dead sort of sad.

We are having a hotel measuring contest now? I'm disappointed, I thought there was a cake-fight promised.

Remind me again how many people had to emigrate as a result of these arrogant bastards who borrowed money, flouted the law, and ultimately failed leaving the nation to pick up the tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not unnatural for buildings/extensions(company type not private) to be built without planning permission. I work in 2 fairly large buildings which were built and planning permission were applied for retro style.

But the people who built the ones I work didnt have any issues getting PP 3 years after the building opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It washim that built the mill centre in clondalkin was it not? Stole a nice bit of land from the missus' grandfather and sold it in all of that.

Ok, having read his wiki page I feel like this outpouring of grief smells a bit like one of Seanie Quinns rallys.

He died in debt to the nation. If he died with the nation in debt to him I would have started this thread myself.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its not unnatural for buildings/extensions(company type not private) to be built without planning permission. I work in 2 fairly large buildings which were built and planning permission were applied for retro style.

But the people who built the ones I work didnt have any issues getting PP 3 years after the building opened.

You are aware that Mansfield cost the Irish taxpayer €300million, and that as I recall the retrospective planning granted was held to be breach of EU law.

Building without planning permission at the scale Mansfield did is hardly 'natural'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

What is the story with libel now that he is dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

He seemed to divide opinion, people either loved or hated him, quite funny when his brothers come into Blessington for a pint, half the pub are all over them and the other half retreat to the other end of the pub and give them daggers.

Don't worry, say what you think, he can't sue you from the grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't libel a dead man. You can say whatever you want about them.

Not that boards would let you, it does have some decency.

Mansfield is marmite. Some people see him as a Bill Cullen-type rags-to-riches hero who rose to rub shoulders with the horsey crowd by taking risks and giving two fingers to the establishment.
    Others see him as a dangerous man with very dodgy relationships and complete disregard for laws or other people when it came to getting his own way.

I'm sure his family though see him as someone they love, so my thoughts are with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any relation to thelma mansfield?? (ex rte continuity announcer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

The celtic tiger and Nama have taken the sheen of his achievements .
    I dont know about the planning objections but he worked hard for his money in the days before money was being thrown around like confetti ..sad to see all he developed lost to bwankers ..I imagine he died a broken man..there should definitely be a monument to the man in citywest..Jim Mansfield RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

no he didnt robbed all of his sub contractors dispicable morals for a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Created jobs"? What about the jobs he destroyed? I mean, if someone who never works in their life and just draws the dole, they might cost the state €1,000,000 or so. Big Jim cost us many multiples of that, but his kids won't go hungry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

A lot of small minded people still going on about who cost us this and who owed us that,some people would prefer to have us destitute and poor for eternity to justify weak and pointless posts about bond holders and national debt. I will pay rest in peace but I won't defend or accuse him of something I know **** all about as some posters believe they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

he shagged sub contractors thats how he made a load of money just google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Hootanany wrote: »
    no he didnt robbed all of his sub contractors dispicable morals for a man

He was convicted of this? ..or are you engaging in slander?

Hootanany wrote: »
    he shagged sub contractors thats how he made a load of money just google it.

Everyone shags sub-contractors, at some stage or another. Nothing rare or unique in that. Some do it on purpose, some because they run into difficulty themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Doubtful - it struggled financially on every front. That's like blaming the owners of Dublin Port for any dodgy cargo someone brings through it. Every freight company, port, airport, dock and landing field gets plagued with people pulling stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You can't libel the dead

You can't libel the dead

There used to be another rule about not speaking ill of the dead either. That was a good and fair rule imo. They get it hard to defend themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

did he will his assests to the state?

Boombastic wrote: »

Na man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There used to be another rule about not speaking ill of the dead either. That was a good and fair rule imo. They get it hard to defend themselves.

That's not a rule. It's a cop out.

If someone is a wanker, dieing doesn't change that. Just like every time some scumbag is killed their whole family is on saying how nice they were and how they wouldn't hurt a fly.

That's not a rule. It's a cop out.

If someone is a wanker, dieing doesn't change that. Just like every time some scumbag is killed their whole family is on saying how nice they were and how they wouldn't hurt a fly.

A good rule of thumb I stick to is "Never a bollox died". Slagging the dead is a low I'll give a miss to. I've enough live ones to be going on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Boombastic wrote: »

I'm not sure he personally guaranteed anything so the state could only seize all his businesses assets, and the taxpayer picked up the rest.

Would be a nice touch if he did, though

I'm not sure he personally guaranteed anything so the state could only seize all his businesses assets, and the taxpayer picked up the rest.

Would be a nice touch if he did, though

So that was Jims decision, yes? Or did the state choose to lump it onto the taxpayer? Banks borrowed, they lost. The State chose to step in. I'm guessing he himself would have said let the banks go get their own money. You sure the right people are being blamed??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement