Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brought you to Boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Hunter kept telling me about boards.ie, finally visited the site, and now I come here every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chief--- (note the three ---, not Just normal Chief) was looking at the boards in work and me and another, MiLk, saw him. Had a look when I went home, and the rest is history. It was simply the fact that you can find out anything an the boards, and now it's practically my second home.

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Mark1million.I dont actually know how he found out about it.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Kharn put a gun to my head and said "Sign up or i'll roger you". I did, and he did anyway. Kidding...

Who is The Beefy King ?

Owing to an administrative error, the Pope had been replaced by Lemmy from Moterhead...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seamus:
    It was simply the fact that you can find out anything an the boards, and now it's practically my second home.</font>

Second home? Not taking it seriously enough are you? wink.gif

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I played Quakeworld (kinda given up recently cause Im pi$$ed off with modem connect) and guys told me about the boards.

It was just before it became boards.ie, and it was black (I miss the black wink.gif ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Jelv introduced me to the boards when they were still the cloud boards, i think, it was black and yellow mostly anyway, as far as I remember, I lurked for ages before signing up and starting to post smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Come aross it whilst still playing Quake II.
    Stayed for the random acts of sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Me brother Ronan|Raven told me bout em now i come here for the chicks biggrin.gif

I might look like a fool but i`m really a blithering idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

My sister's classmate pointed me to www.quake.ie back when I was thinking of playing quake2 online, when the boards were still boards.quake.ie. The thought of a huge phone bill scared me off until SNL came along, and half-life with it.

I'm pretty sure I registered b4 Aug 99 tho smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Im new to boards, as all my posts show (sorry all), but oone of my mates told me about it as i work in a net cafe so I thought id check it out, then i got hooked biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Being another og the "missing registered date" elite I've been around when all this was just a small message board on quake.ie, which cloud moved to his NUIG server when quake.ie went down for a spell. Since then it has been battered and beaten into the boards you see today. But yes, all you see today evolved from the single quake boards from years ago.

.dNC.OSiriS
    url="http://www.hatstand.cx"]HAT[/urlOSiriS
    http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Frag-Net.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

quake believe it or not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

BoB(TARE) was my class mate 2 yrs ago. I introduced him to Counter-Strike... He rocked at it and then he introduced me to the BOARDS. I used it when we set up KwG as "NEON"... I came back for a laugh smile.gif and to rant about words that get-my-goat

Heres to the newbies
    Welcome to Chaos smile.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'm another Quake leftover. I found the first Quake boards on a link from Quake.ie. I remember not being able to play on quakesrv1,2,3.indigo.ie one day, and wondering why. Then I found out that someone had put something called "Quakeworld" onto the servers. Apparently it was like Quake, but better. Quake.ie and the boards sorted me out. Until then, the only interaction I had with other Quakers outside of playing Quake, was typing the following kind of console typing:

unamed(3): How do I fly with that red rope thing.
    [CW]Tomb: .type impulse 22
    unnamed(3): .type impulse 22
    [CW]Tomb: Don't type the .
    unnamed(3): OK. Thanx.
    unnamed(3): I'M STUCK TO THE WALL!!!
    unnamed(3): HELP ME.
    unnamed(3) rides [CW]Tomb's rocket.
    [CW]Tomb: Stupid newbies. smile.gif

My first recorded post.
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum7/HTML/000197.html

I feel all warm inside.

I remember seeing someones config posted on the old boards. It had +moveright bound to the right mouse key, and +moveleft bound to the left mouse key. I tried it for all of 10 minutes. Only a complete muppet could play like that. smile.gif

Thanks boards for the following additions to my config:

+mlook
    sesitivity 22
    fov 100
    cl_bob 0

smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I first started playing tfc there was a reference to http://cloud.ign.ie in the server's MOTD smile.gif

I haven't managed to find a way out of here since {!}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Got introduced to the boards back when it was cloudboards and the black bkround. Coyote the filthy muppet biggrin.gif introduced me to them when I was in net house one day as a customer and its all been downhill since smile.gif I think at the time I was looking for a Tribes server IP!!

Long time ago now....Feels like it anyway.

games?
    DoD? - games1.iol.ie:27017

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

lol i'm 1 of the few ppl that came here not because of quake or cs!!! hmmmm insteresting redface.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

wow, seems most here are either quake or CS heads. i feel all left out frown.gif I joined cause a few of my mates recommended it (OJ, Bomberman, Lucifer, DJ Flick and Harmo) Since i didn't play CS or whatever, i had to look elsewhere, saw the humour board wasn't the most active which was ridiculos so I figured id liven it up. Now, I dont post to the humour board, I AM THE HUMOUR BOARD!!! muhahahaHAHAHAHAhahaaaaaa.... biggrin.gif

ah, the memories...

Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin.

Another thing, I've noticed something strange. You stand in the middle of a library and go 'Aaaaaaagghhhh' and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in. Think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

When i dis coverd the Irish CS community and heard people referin' to "boards" so i Came for the Cs trends and stayed for everything

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Notch another up for the game reason. (slight pun there tongue.gif )

I was stuck in the 300+ ping hell of english servers, and then i found this place, and then the helpful people on the cs boards pointed towards gameshop. smile.gif

"If you dont know where you're going, then you'll probably end up somewhere else."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

A guy who was once VL=8-ball told me about the tribes boards, and I've been hanging around ever since, occasionaly scaring old ladies.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Add me to the ever so tiny list of those who didn't join because of CS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

in around Christmas holidays 1999 i think it was, i was playing q3 on a muppet UK server, and i noticed a familiar name from IGN, dk-Bane.. so he gave me a few tips about Irish quake, and i found the boards from there first time. then i met Paladin on a quake server and i kind of knew him in real life, so he gave me the boards URL to sign up for a LAN in cork, so i regged and followed that... and this was at the height of paladin's spammage in the form of Paladin's Puzzles and they really got me hooked. Wyverne started spamming the boards just as i joined up, and his posts were so hilarious that they kept me visiting even after i solved all of Paladin's puzzles smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Boards.ie?
    Whas da?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Clicked a link to the Irelandoffline forum when it first started, clicked on the technology board link thought to meself "hmmmmm" clicked on the c/s link and bejaysus i'm stuck....hehe

Farls

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes, I'll choose a nice popular topic to tell yis all I'm off to Rome for a week, so you'll have to live without my witty, informative, and downright helpful posts for a week lol. Oh yeah and btw, add me to da list of non-CS'er boards members

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

:( Well i happened to be a bit of a TOTAL N008 at CS and kindly asked Gav in dNC for a bit of help {i think i was stuck on name changing in-game or something} but he told me about boards and i'm still here { unfortunately for you lot}:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well i came to boards way back im talkin the time when the 14.4 was the best connection along with a p75 . cant rember how i found it ... o waight i do now i used to find the like to it through www.quake.ie and after the first day on it i was kinda addicted . tis a lovely site

if i could have sex with it i prolly would

yes i rember those days going onto ctf on indigo and kicking ass on a 14.4 with a 600 ping . o yes it was done ... o yes never again . ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Some strange person I know by the name of nakey/nakedbiblereadingman pointed me to them last june :o

Advertisement