Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for a seat on public transport?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

So we all know that it's manners to give up your seat if a frail or elderly person or a pregnant woman gets on the bus and there are no seats left, but what if you're a healthy looking person who actually needs a seat? How does one ask for a seat if they need one?

My story: I'm 25 and, as far as I'm aware, look fine and healthy but I currently have severe pain in my back from a displaced pelvis

If you went up to me and told me that you need to sit because you cant find your pelvis, id give you my seat no quibble

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Ive been in that spot. Afraid to ask someone if they want a seat if they're pregnant as it may just be obesity and you could really offend them. Its difficult to tell at times especially if they are wearing a long coat.

Never understood this to be honest. If I was really fat and someone mistook it for me being pregnant it would make my day, so it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bring a folding crutch / cane with you (they're pretty inexpensive) so that when you are bad you can use it but when you're not you can put it away.

Most people will give up a seat when they see someone is using one and particularly if they look weak and appear to be in discomfort whilst standing.

My Sister does this. She gets chronic fatigue after cancer treatment so she brings a small camping chair everywhere. She will often sit while queueing in shops.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement