Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for a seat on public transport?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 3:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So we all know that it's manners to give up your seat if a frail or elderly person or a pregnant woman gets on the bus and there are no seats left, but what if you're a healthy looking person who actually needs a seat? How does one ask for a seat if they need one?

My story: I'm 25 and, as far as I'm aware, look fine and healthy but I currently have severe pain in my back from a displaced pelvis and occasionally issues with my ankle as well. This is, of course, making standing quite difficult, particularly on moving transport. Luckily the few times I've been on the Luas or bus I've been able to grab a seat within a stop or two (one occasion embarrassingly involved an elderly woman having to help me with my bag too), but I don't know what I'd do if I was in pain and no seats became available.

So, what do I say or do if I have ask a person give up their seat? Or do I stand and suffer? Would you give up your seat for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Become pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bring a folding crutch / cane with you (they're pretty inexpensive) so that when you are bad you can use it but when you're not you can put it away.

Most people will give up a seat when they see someone is using one and particularly if they look weak and appear to be in discomfort whilst standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

These days with people staring at their phones, it can be unlikely anyone is even checking if anyone in pain etc... needs a seat.
    You may well need to directly ask someone.
    I'd hope the majority would offer you their seat if you politely ask and briefly say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ask the bus driver if you can drive the bus , he might let you.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Become pregnant?

Being pregnant won't get you a seat on the luas, it didn't get me one at 8 months gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Have an intense heated debate with yourself. They'll leave you alone, I guarantee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Iv back issues as well that keeps throwing my pelvis out, Waiting on surgery. And even though im in pain I would never ask someone for. their seat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Ask someone who is sitting in the "please give up these seats" seats if you can sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Op must have taken your advice and bought all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How would one know if the healthy looking individual sitting on the coveted seat is in pain or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

jules86 wrote: »
    Being pregnant won't get you a seat on the luas, it didn't get me one at 8 months gone

I think he meant there and then. :D

Most guys would give up a seat for a ride.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Thanks for the posts so far. Tempted by the walking stick plan but it wasn't me who bought up the ones in that broken Argos link! ;-)
    lertsnim wrote: »
    How would one know if the healthy looking individual sitting on the coveted seat is in pain or not?

This is part of my worry. If I ask someone, what's to say that they haven't a genuine reason for needing that seat too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If they've a genuine reason for needing the seat they'll tell you they have and you can ask someone else then, or someone will overhear and give you the seat. Just ask, have no shame about it and if they say no, just ask someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

8 months! Crying shame that.

The others who were sitting probably all thought you were just another cake gobbler.

So many of them about these days.

They will have a collapsible crutch

topper75 wrote: »

The others who were sitting probably all thought you were just another cake gobbler.

You don't get pregnant from gobbling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Walk around with a walking stick to accentuate the gammy pelvis look

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

A friend of mine last week who is very clearly about to drop - she is skinny everywhere else and has a 9 month bump got both the bus and dart home without a single person on either offering her a seat, shameful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

topper75 wrote: »

Ive been in that spot. Afraid to ask someone if they want a seat if they're pregnant as it may just be obesity and you could really offend them. Its difficult to tell at times especially if they are wearing a long coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pa990 wrote: »

No, but it may lead to it ;)

Anyway OP, just politely ask directly. As others have said with everyone busy looking into phones or listening to music they probably aren't paying much attention to anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reek of pee, everyone will move then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stop being a pleb using public transport.

Sorted.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ask the biggest meanest looking biker/metal head gaurneteed they are teddy bear

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So, what do I say or do if I have ask a person give up their seat? Or do I stand and suffer? Would you give up your seat for me?

Just ask is all you can do. Last time there was a thread similar to this, there were plenty of people who said they would give up their seat, and plenty who said they wouldn't. One would hope to meet the one that would, rather than the one that wouldn't.

I'd certainly give up my seat anyway even though my knees and hip are shot to shìt with arthritis. I'm not so bad I couldn't stand for a bit if I saw someone else in more of a need of a seat than I was. I'd give up my seat for a woman anyway though, that's just manners as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

pa990 wrote: »

Does gobbling a lump of meat with the lower lips not count :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm not sure I'd give my seat up if a healthy looking person asked me. A fat person once shouted at me to get up off my seat and let her sit down. There was nothing wrong with her, just fat. Not that I'd give it to her anyway after her shouting at me. There was also other seats available so maybe she just wasn't all there. I just laughed and went back to scrolling through Facebook.
    I certainly wouldn't give up my seat on my commute home. Fuck that, too tired for standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Can be difficult to tell if someone is pregnant. Dunno would many prefer to stay silent than risk offer a seat to someone they think is pregnant when they are just fat. :D:o Also, :o not all pregnant ladies put on a lot of weight so they may not even look pregnant at all, plus I remember one girl in work came in one day looking I dunno 9 months pregnant and the very next day she was her totally flat-stomached self!! :eek: The baby had obviously re-positioned inside her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

London has rolled out an 'offer me a seat badge' and 'Bump on board' badges so you know who to offer a seat to.

Saying that I recently seen a blind person get on a packed train and just asked out loud can I have a seat please and he got one pretty quick. If you ask most people would get up if you ask.

I've also seen no one offer a seat to someone who needs it and I have asked them while standing myself if they need a seat and this usually gets someone to give up a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

You wouldn't know so you'd need to ask. You'd hope a healthy person would get up.

Advertisement