Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which obnoxious Friends character are you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why was this TV show ever popular?
    Who was the most awful character?
    And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

Q1
    Oh someone doesn't like the most popular TV show ever, your in a small minority as its one of the 2 funniest shows ever made, every episode gives a laugh unlike most sitcoms. Its speaks to young people in a way that NO other tv show did, even today Friends is still relevant as friends captured funny dating moments better than any other TV show. The writing and comic timing was amazing, america will never make a funnier show. I think if you don't think friends is one of the best sitcoms ever or use to be one of the best then you don't have a sense of humor. Netflix paid €100 for an old show that's been on tv a million times.. that just goes to show how good the show was.

Q2 All 6 main characters were brilliant

Q3 No need for such a stupid loaded question, none of them were horrible. As a guy I could relate to Ross and Chandler a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Let's face it. They're all horrible people.

Self-involved, sexist, downright rude.

I don't want to identify with any of them.

Yet you post on After Hours.
    My questions are three-fold.

Okay.
    Why was this TV show ever popular?

Seasons 1 - 3.5 if you're looking for quality. And everything else was nostalgia and people "identifying" with the character's travails.
    Who was the most awful character?

Probably Gunther. Don't think he was written or acted very well. Didn't like when they brought him into it more and more. But more accurately, every character after Season 3.5.
    And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

Chandler. The funniest of the group but no luck with women. :(
    Guy Person wrote: »
    The airplane was Emily's dad.

This week, on House.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Greyfox wrote: »

Q2 All 6 main characters were brilliant

I love the show but the characters are all, at various stages, very weird, awful and creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I have no friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It was a vacuous bubble gum sitcom with 6 self absorbed fragile all somewhat pathetic and needy characters living in a nice safe bubble and remarkably without any ethnic minorities.

Viewers liked it because they felt sorry for the characters.

It made people (well young women) feel nice and fuzzy for 30mins. It was harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It was a vacuous bubble gum sitcom with 6 self absorbed fragile all somewhat pathetic and needy characters living in a nice safe bubble and remarkably without any ethnic minorities.

Viewers liked it because they felt sorry for the characters.

It made people (well young women) feel nice and fuzzy for 30mins. It was harmless.

Ross was banging that hot black woman for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

I guess I'm Rachels self involved sister...that Reese Whitherspoon played..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

Tried to bang another black woman too (as did Joey, a good episode actually. "MONKEY LOVER!!"). He was with a Chinese chick as well.

Rachel was white.

• Advertisement

That's true but she only appeared in a handful of episodes.

She was hot though and at least she was not just "the help" which is the usual role for ethnics in such white sitcoms.

While I have taken a swipe at the lack of minorities, in all honestly it does reflect reality. Ethnic groups do by and large gravitate toward each other.

Two of the main characters are Jewish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Earthhorse wrote: »

Half Jewish. “Looked” into earlier. Only the dad, played by the wonderful Elliot Gould, is Jewish.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

randd1 wrote: »
    Tried to bang another black woman too (as did Joey, a good episode actually. "MONKEY LOVER!!"). He was with a Chinese chick as well.

Jesus Christ!

That does not make them an ethnic minority.

Most US sitcoms are like that anyway e.g. Fraser, Will and Grace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Jesus Christ!
    In what episode did Ross bang Jesus Christ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Phoebe was an absolute dose of a character. Annoying, needy, the sort who would describe herself as ‘kooky’, ‘left field’, ‘a beautiful freak’ etc.

Besides Charlie, Phoebe is the only character in Friends that I could actually like.
    Ross was by far the best. That neurotic NY Jew character is always a good one.

He is a very bad caricature of a scientist and an awful character overall.

Oi, don't make me choke on my pastrami, next you'll be calling Joey a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I've had better fun painting ceilings than watching Friends.

I remember in secondary school people would talk about the previous night's episode the morning after.
    I had never seen it and when I did all I could wonder was why people found it funny and would quote lines from it all day long.

The only thing remotely funny I ever saw in it was when Ross caught Bruce Willis posing and telling himself he was a neat guy. Beyond that it's drivel.

I think David Schwimmer can do physical comedy well. Him hiding from his girlfriend's da never fails to make me laugh.

giphy.gif

I could not abide Rachel or Monica as my sister is a hybrid of both of them.

Phoebe was just an idiot.

I was not so hateful of the guys.

Gun to the head, I think Joey was the least insufferable.

That does not make them an ethnic minority.

Most US sitcoms are like that anyway e.g. Fraser, Will and Grace

I don’t think Fraser was Jewish.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I don’t think Fraser was Jewish.

What I meant was most US sitcoms from the mid 90s were predominantly white with very few ethnic minorities. Friends has not the only culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

In fairness, the writers self acknowledged these were all flawed characters midway through the first season with the episode featuring the unapologetic psychologist who dated Pheobe and points out how messed up the group dynamic is. I don't get the backlash as the characters are not presented as flawless bastions of moralistic integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Seinfeld is where it's at. Now they were arseholes but entertaining arseholes.

victor8600 wrote: »
    He is a very bad caricature of a scientist and an awful character overall.

Ross was a magnificent character, some of his moments like the leather trousers, "my sandwich" and the spray tan are absolutely hillarious. Also once people seen what happened in the prom video everyone wanted him to get with Rachael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Ross was a magnificent character, some of his moments like the leather trousers, "my sandwich" and the spray tan are absolutely hillarious. Also once people seen what happened in the prom video everyone wanted him to get with Rachael.

HE'S HER LOBSTER

Okay. Obviously you are a big fan. I am not as easily amused. I watched it all and can appreciate it for what it was- a warm comfort blanket of escapism for young women.

Personally I found it a little too annoying at times and a bit whiny/insecure teenageresque.

'Look at me. I am so pathetic and needy. Somebody save me from my vacuous self'

Fraser was more my cup of tea but that went a bit pear shaped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I watched a load of episodes a while back and noticed how Chandler's a bit rapey, he preys on women, tries to trick them into sleeping with him, gets them drunk so he can take advantage, he makes remarks about trying to have sex with women that are passed out.
    He'd be on the sex offenders list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Friends was class.

I'd be Mr. Heckles, I'm getting old and grumpy and I like wearing dressing gowns.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

valoren wrote: »
    In fairness, the writers self acknowledged these were all flawed characters midway through the first season with the episode featuring the unapologetic psychologist who dated Pheobe and points out how messed up the group dynamic is. I don't get the backlash as the characters are not presented as flawless bastions of moralistic integrity.

True, the characters are supposed to be flawed. As an example Homer Simpsons's flaws make him a better character
    Okay. Obviously you are a big fan. I am not as easily amused. I watched it all and can appreciate it for what it was- a warm comfort blanket of escapism for young women.

I'm not easily amused either. I appreciate comedy is subjective but its popularity tells you most people found it very funny
    I watched a load of episodes a while back and noticed how Chandler's a bit rapey, he preys on women, tries to trick them into sleeping with him, gets them drunk so he can take advantage, he makes remarks about trying to have sex with women that are passed out.
    He'd be on the sex offenders list.

True but back then it didn't seem a bit rapey, he just seemed like a man rubbish with women. Also Chandler was also a character that wouldn't be capable of rape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'd like to know why if it was so unpopular and terrible, you have spent two whole days watching it and taking notes, while you had a wealth of other stuff to watch at your fingertips! :D

I thought friends was good for it's time. They often ad libbed and some of the one liners were brilliant. Anyone with a brain cell who watched it also realised that it was not a true depiction of late twenty/ early thirty year olds living in New Work at that time.

• Advertisement

Half Jewish. “Looked” into earlier. Only the dad, played by the wonderful Elliot Gould, is Jewish.

In that case they may not even be Jewish at all as it passes through the maternal side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

In that case they may not even be Jewish at all as it passes through the maternal side.

he celebrates Hannukah

If you’ve been mitzvah’d and gotten the “snip” are you not automatically enrolled?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    he celebrates Hannukah

He also dresses up as the Holiday Armadillo.

He's a deeply disturbed man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He also dresses up as the Holiday Armadillo.

He's a deeply disturbed man.

The worst thing he did was wear those skinny leather pants lol

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

If you’ve been mitzvah’d and gotten the “snip” are you not automatically enrolled?

You should consider donating to Wikipeadia, Emmet, it's an invaluable resource.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew%3F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why does Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the other 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why does Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the other 5?

Wouldn't be kosher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It was a thing of the time, a shift away from traditional el bueno y el malo duality. Two other contemporary shows, Seinfeld and the Sopranas could also be described that way: hugely popular but no upstanding likeable character in the whole show. Each of the Soprano characters were particularly cnutish but it made good TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Reg Rogers: The Director.

"I'm hurt!!!"

"Stuff your talentless faces with my mother's crabcakes!"

Gas man altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Probably Dugan. Him or Jack Klompus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Phoebe.

Janice was the most normal recurring character.
    I don't know what was supposed to be wrong with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Talking about unlikeable characters, check out the show Love on Netflix - really funny, but the main characters are pretty much completely unlikeable (but you end up liking them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Janice was the most normal recurring character.
    I don't know what was supposed to be wrong with her.

Her laugh.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'd like to know why if it was so unpopular and terrible, you have spent two whole days watching it and taking notes, while you had a wealth of other stuff to watch at your fingertips! :D
    I like Friends. But i hadn't realised in the past how annoying some of the characters are.

Even though she can be irritating and needy, I actually sometimes feel sorry for Monica. She's deeply insecure, probably as a result of being constantly belittled by her own mother, and sometimes the group takes advantage of her.

They once forced her to cook an incredibly time-consuming Thanksgiving Dinner for them, and not one of them helped (except Chandler, and he did next to nothing) and then they don't show up. They are always in her apartment eating her food and basically walking all over her. Nobody ever tries to intervene to help her from herself -- not even when she was dangerously overweight. They just keep using her throughout the ten seasons for their own benefit.

My favourite character is Janice. Thank goodness she got away from that dysfunctional group of individuals. She is funny, very forgiving and very loving. She's also very attractive. The disdain in which the group holds her is indicative of a very insecure and honestly rather hostile group of people.

My favourite character is Janice. Thank goodness she got away from that dysfunctional group of individuals. She is funny, very forgiving and very loving. She's also very attractive.

Janice was an insufferable squawk. A laugh that could shatter glass. Very attractive? Hardly.

You're taking the piss.

Janice was an insufferable squawk. A laugh that could shatter glass. Very attractive? Hardly.

You're taking the piss.
    1. Yes, the thread is supposed to be light-hearted. I don't know why some people are taking it really seriously.

2. Janice was stunning. You'll have done worse I'd say.

1. Yes, the thread is supposed to be light-hearted. I don't know why some people are taking it really seriously.
    Because it's Boards.ie.

I like Friends. But i hadn't realised in the past how annoying some of the characters are.

Even though she can be irritating and needy, I actually sometimes feel sorry for Monica. She's deeply insecure, probably as a result of being constantly belittled by her own mother, and sometimes the group takes advantage of her.

They once forced her to cook an incredibly time-consuming Thanksgiving Dinner for them, and not one of them helped (except Chandler, and he did next to nothing) and then they don't show up. They are always in her apartment eating her food and basically walking all over her. Nobody ever tries to intervene to help her from herself -- not even when she was dangerously overweight. They just keep using her throughout the ten seasons for their own benefit.

My favourite character is Janice. Thank goodness she got away from that dysfunctional group of individuals. She is funny, very forgiving and very loving. She's also very attractive. The disdain in which the group holds her is indicative of a very insecure and honestly rather hostile group of people.

OP....

I am getting worried about you now. You need to leave the house and rejoin the human race.

Go on the beer or something. Visit a hooker. Anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement